PDA

View Full Version : Brown and White game

RichH2
April 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Just got home, best Spring game I've seen in a number of years. Clark and Lum are quite good, both mobile perhaps lum a bit faster with excellent arms and accuracy. OL still a work in progress but very good individual parts. Gordon and Drwal a tough combo to cover. Zurn was solid and fast as last yr. Walker rounding into form,we need tokeep him healthy. very optimistic for this season

ngineer
April 18th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I agree, overall, it was a very pleasant day. The QBs were all outstanding. Throws were on the money most of the time and the WRs were catching everything, even in tough traffic. Soph. Drwal was impressive and it was good to see Artim back doing his thing.
Walker looked very good, and has added 20 lbs, but still quick. Fitz looks like a hard runner, and Campbell showed some nice moves with some decent runs.
Defense has some escellent size and quickness with the LBs. Taylor still rehabing his knee from Lafayette game. Hopefully back by September. Soph. Mihal was impressive with several tackles, a sack and interception. Our front seven is huge on defense. My only concern is that we get more pressure on the QB.
Otherwise, soph. punter Smith was excellent. PK Randazza I have concerns about. Made a 36 yard FG, but had two extra points blocked and hit an upright. Not absolutely sure on the cause of both blocks, but one appeared to be because of low trajectory. Ball seems to come off his foot 'heavy' and not the range of our prior PKs..I'd say 40 yards at best--of course, if he's accurate that should be enough. I think the job is still open. Smith didn't try any PKs and a frosh is coming in who may very well challenge. Kicking games are crucial when you're in close games and we've had too many of those recently.
Overall, though, I feel alot better at this point in time than I did last year at this point. We should definitely challenge for the PL title this year, and though I haven't seen the others, I would think Holy Cross my get the preseason nod because of Randolph, but after that I can easily see us next.

Fordham
April 19th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Overall, though, I feel alot better at this point in time than I did last year at this point. We should definitely challenge for the PL title this year, and though I haven't seen the others, I would think Holy Cross my get the preseason nod because of Randolph, but after that I can easily see us next.

... after how last year turned out I'm pleased to see us further down in the pre-season rankings ...

That said, I agree with you in your 1. HC, 2. Lehigh pre-season poll. After that I'm not sure but I've penciled those 2 in at the top. Also just not sure which I'm picking first and which second but Randolph likely to be the tie-breaker for me in that decision.

RichH2
April 19th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Agree ,HC with Randolph , will be very tough to beat out. Gilmore learned while at LU great Qb with decent supporting cast. Only drawback, surprisingly is their D which willnot be very good but may be just enuf as I dont see anyone shutting HC out

ngineer
April 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM
IF our DC can come up with a decent scheme to contain Randolph we'll have a decent shot. HC's defense is supposedly suspect this year so we should be able to light up the board as well. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate this year. Historically, the HC game is played in showers, rain and monsoons...xrotatehx

crusader11
April 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
How did JB Clark look? I was impressed with him last year when LU played at Holy Cross.

RichH2
April 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
very sharp, more decisive than last year. Pretty mobile for a big guy

Lehigh74
April 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM
J. B. Clark looked very sharp and he will need to continue to be sharp to hold onto his job. The rising sophomore Lum is very impressive. If not for the fact that Clark has a year of experience under his belt, I think Lum would win the battle to be the starting QB. Although the league has had some great quarterbacks like Vena and Stambaugh, Randolph may well be the best to ever wear a Patriot League uniform.

ngineer
April 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
The Holy Cross/Lehigh game could be a real shootout should Randolph and Clark live up to their potential. I agree Lum may have a slightly better arm than Clark, but Clark's significant improvement in the month of November last year and his overall bearing as shown on the field Saturday gives him the starting position. The year's experience also is a significant factor. Lum hasn't faced a real baptism, yet, but shows he has the tools to be excellent.

ngineer
April 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
It was announced at the Brown and White game that BJ Benning and Matt Cohen will be the captains this year. Two great guys, but I thought odd that both captains are on the defense. Probably mostly explained due to virtually all the starters on offense will likely be underclassmen.

Lehigh74
April 22nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
In the post game show posted on lehighsports.com Benning and Cohen were interviewed. The are both very well spoken and appear to be strong leaders. They also may be the two best players on the team.

RichH2
April 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Cohen hasbeen a leader since he enrolled, Benning has really grown into a force both athletically and personally on this squad. Notsurprised both are Capts am that no O picked. Probably true that O is mostly underclassmen. 1 perhaps 2 sr starters this year.

S/b an exciting year in a positive way finally. Not 4 nailbiting losses.

Big problem is waiting til early August for camp to start!!

LUHawker
April 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
I'm very optimistic for the upcoming season. For the first time in years, we have an accurate pocket-passer who can make time to find open receivers downfield. I don't think we should underestimate the challenges that Sedale presented. By this I mean that whenever there was any hint of pressure, he tucked and ran as opposed to trying to create space and find a receiver. Of course, taking off downfield is necessary at times, but he did it often and was very unpredictable, never allowing the offense to "gel" and find some rhythm. This is just my opinion. The best QB's, however, aren't always the best runners. Look at Stambaugh or Semptenfelter or Randolph or even Maurer. None of those guys have the athleticism of a Threatt, but they played the position in a way that the offense could follow and rally around.

So, I'm looking forward to a great season from Clark and hope we get a chance to see Lum when its appropriate.

Lastly, I LOVE the Brown Jerseys with the White pants. We are the Brown & White afterall and I like the unique old school look. Keep the gold pants for the away games.