PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sewak is getting fired today...

SuperEagle
November 29th, 2005, 09:53 AM
press conference at 3pm. I have heard this from a very reliable source.

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Wow. I'm surprised. Way too young on defense to have expected a much better season.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM
bull**** waa waa

SuperEagle
November 29th, 2005, 09:57 AM
btw, I am not a fan of this move at all. I like the guy. He was a great offensive mind. I thought our defense was the problem and Tressey, the D Coordinator, should have been let go. We'll see what happens.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Sewak wasn't the problem, I'll leave it at that.........

bandl
November 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Until I actually see or hear it...I think the very reliable source might in fact be someone's very large a$$hole at GSU. No offense meant to the original poster of this thread, mind you...but this "the coach will/should be fired" routine gets old coming out of GSU.

If they do fire Sewak, bring back the old coaching dog so you can start winning some playoff games again and actually put some fear into your first round opponents!!! :p

SuperEagle
November 29th, 2005, 10:00 AM
bull**** waa waa
buddy, I wish I were making this up. I really do. We are firing a coach who was 8-4 and took us to the playoffs. What coach wants to come into a place with expectations that anything less than a title may get you fired?
I know we are GSU but I think this firing is very premature. I'm very disappointed by this. I really am.

Eagle22
November 29th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Press conference @ 3pm per GSU Media Relations email I received this a.m. @ 9:30

Sam Baker, Georgia Southern University's Director of Athletics, has scheduled a press conference for 3 p.m. today (Tuesday, November 29) in the Lupton Building next to Paulson Stadium.

ALL MEDIA MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND.

Personally, I don't think the last line would be included if it were just a few assistant coaches being let go.

Just my :twocents:

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 10:02 AM
we are GSU

thats the problem, most of your fans only see those 3 words

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 10:02 AM
buddy, I wish I were making this up. I really do. We are firing a coach who was 8-4 and took us to the playoffs. What coach wants to come into a place with expectations that anything less than a title may get you fired?
I know we are GSU but I think this firing is very premature. I'm very disappointed by this. I really am.

With the youth you have on defense, you can't really blame the coaches. Heck, if that's the case, FU's DC should be gone. But when you only have 2 seniors on your two deep on defense, you have to allow for some growing pains. I don't know what GSU's 2 deep looked like, but I seem to remember them losing 4-5 of their front seven from last year.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 10:04 AM
With the youth you have on defense, you can't really blame the coaches. Heck, if that's the case, FU's DC should be gone. But when you only have 2 seniors on your two deep on defense, you have to allow for some growing pains. I don't know what GSU's 2 deep looked like, but I seem to remember them losing 4-5 of their front seven from last year.

its funny, b/c when the D does grow up, that coach will be the savior, and then when his team gets young again, he will get fired, its a vicious cycle, and gets really old

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM
IF SO....WHAT PROSPECTIVE COACH......WILL CARRY ON DUH TRADITIONAL TRIPLE ZERO??.......HUH?...HUH?.....:confused:......A-10WK?

dbackjon
November 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM
If Sewak is getting fired, I can't see him saying unemployed for very long.

bandl
November 29th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Press conference @ 3pm per GSU Media Relations email I received this a.m. @ 9:30

Sam Baker, Georgia Southern University's Director of Athletics, has scheduled a press conference for 3 p.m. today (Tuesday, November 29) in the Lupton Building next to Paulson Stadium.

Personally, I don't think the last line would be included if it were just a few assistant coaches being let go.

If that is indeed the entire e-mail you received (if there's more to it though, please post it)...how in the hell do you know that means Sewak is being fired?? Maybe they are announcing that an old hat is coming back to join the team as a consultant...maybe GSU is going to I-A in 10 years...maybe someone got severely ill and had to step down...maybe a player was found to be ineligible which means that GSU will have to forfeit all their games....get the drift??

gsugt1
November 29th, 2005, 10:12 AM
If that is indeed the entire e-mail you received (if there's more to it though, please post it)...how in the hell do you know that means Sewak is being fired?? Maybe they are announcing that an old hat is coming back to join the team as a consultant...maybe GSU is going to I-A in 10 years...maybe someone got severely ill and had to step down...maybe a player was found to be ineligible which means that GSU will have to forfeit all their games....get the drift??

The whole staff was fired. It has been confirmed by the players on the team.

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM
MAYBEAH HOFSTRA.........COULD GO BY WAY O' RHODEY.........AN' INTRODUCE.....COACH SEWAK.......AN' DUH TRIPLE OPTION.....RUN, PASS, & PUNT!..........BRA-10WK! xlolx :rotateh: xlolx

bandl
November 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM

So are the players taking over as the coaching staff??? How does that work...1st stringers become coaches, then 2nd stringers become 1st string and so on. :eyebrow:

bandl
November 29th, 2005, 10:14 AM

ERK! ERK! ERK!

Umass74
November 29th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Sewak takes a young team to the playoffs and he's getting fired?

Who would ever want to coach there :confused:

SuperEagle
November 29th, 2005, 10:15 AM
On the GSU message board, parents and friends of players have come out and said that Sewak was indeed gone. And trust me, my source would know.
Believe it or not but it is happening and I wish it wasn't!!!

bandl
Sewak takes a young team to the playoffs and he's getting fired?

Who would ever want to coach there :confused:
See my post above...they are taking the "Pete Rose" approach of pulling both the playing/coaching duties at the same time.

MR. CHICKEN
RUSTY!....RUSTY!....RUSTY!.......BRA-10WK!

bandl
November 29th, 2005, 10:17 AM
On the GSU message board, parents and friends of players have come out and said that Sewak was indeed gone. And trust me, my source would know.
Believe it or not but it is happening and I wish it wasn't!!!

If it is indeed true, I am also unhappy to hear the news. I was sincere in my original post when I said that I would like GSU to get back to the team that used to put fear into the teams they played in the playoffs (starting with the first round recently :( ). A good GSU team is good for the SoCon and is good for all of I-AA.

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Is he the same Sam Baker who was a placekicker for the Philadelphia Eagles about 35 years ago?

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM
If Sewak is getting fired, I can't see him saying unemployed for very long.

Elon has an opening.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Elon has an opening.

They'd be happy with a playoff bid

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
They'd be happy with a playoff bid

Heck, they'd be happy with a winning record.

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
So what names are being floated as potential replacements?

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Heck, they'd be happy with a winning record.

expectations are to blame here, no more, no less

colgate13
November 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Elon has an opening.

Fordham and VMI too. Fordham would kill for a coach like Sewak.

HPCAT
November 29th, 2005, 10:38 AM

If this is true, it may be a mistake. Just think how the fans are going to react if GSU does not even make the playoffs next year.

I am getting a little tired of this youth on defense BS regarding why GSU got lit up by the TXST offense. Hell, GSU had more Seniors starting than TXST did on their defense.

Not sure where this 2 deep number came from, but I counted at least 5 Seniors starting on defense last Saturday.

youwouldno
November 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
But I doubt Elon wants to change their whole offense... unless Sewak would take over and not run the trip option. They don't have the personnel.

Personally, I think this is a bad move. A REAL bad move. Now, Sewak should have had better personnel on his D-line, that's ultimately his responsibility... but in an off year he still made the playoffs and just got a bad draw. Changing coaching staffs is a tremendous risk... with limited upside in this case, because GSU is already good.

Eagle22
November 29th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Because I've been to enough GSU press conferences, and read enough GSU Media Relations emails to be able to read between the lines.

They don't usually operate that way, which gave me reason to strongly consider something told to me at 9:15 this morning.

Sheesh. Sorry if it irritated you, it wasn't intentional.

texcap
November 29th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I think it was done in haste following a disappointing loss. I also think the bad taste in the mouth of a lot of fans regarding the way Rusty Reussell was handled contributed.

I don't know about most of you, but if I was looking back at my team and for the last four years saw a 35-14 record, three playoff appearances (one semifinals) I would think we had a pretty good run; wouldn't you?

bandl
November 29th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Because I've been to enough GSU press conferences, and read enough GSU Media Relations emails to be able to read between the lines.

They don't usually operate that way, which gave me reason to strongly consider something told to me at 9:15 this morning.

Sheesh. Sorry if it irritated you, it wasn't intentional.

Didn't irritate me a bit E22...I don't mean to push you the wrong way either. It just seems the "GSU coach will/should be fired" routine has popped up regularly after their early exit over the past few years. It's a shame if it's true though, and if it is, my posts can be catalogued for future use in "bandl's stupid-smack" file. :o

Good luck...

Eagle22
November 29th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Didn't irritate me a bit E22...I don't mean to push you the wrong way either. It just seems the "GSU coach will/should be fired" routine has popped up regularly after their early exit over the past few years. It's a shame if it's true though, and if it is, my posts can be catalogued for future use in "bandl's stupid-smack" file. :o

Good luck...

No problem. I've had little sleep since Saturday moderating my board since the loss ... now this ... I better get me some xcoffeex and settle in for the day....

GSUhooligan
November 29th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I think it was done in haste following a disappointing loss. I also think the bad taste in the mouth of a lot of fans regarding the way Rusty Reussell was handled contributed.

I don't know about most of you, but if I was looking back at my team and for the last four years saw a 35-14 record, three playoff appearances (one semifinals) I would think we had a pretty good run; wouldn't you?

NO! I'm a little torn with the issue. The last 3 years have not been acceptable. There is no way in hell we should lose in the 1st round of the playoffs EVER! On the other hand, I don't think firing Sewak and the rest of the staff is the answer. Like another poster said, our young guys will be more experienced and we probably would go deep the next few years. But now that there is this shake-up, who knows what will happen.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 11:13 AM
NO! I'm a little torn with the issue. The last 3 years have not been acceptable. There is no way in hell we should lose in the 1st round of the playoffs EVER!

This is the attitude that is getting him fired in the first place. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can advance that far EVERY year, its just not feasible, and for you to think it is, just make you look arrogant and ignorant

DinoDex200
November 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM
So, when can we mark the time of death for Georgia Southern being a factor in I-AA??

Stupid, stupid, move... xidiotx xidiotx

You don't do this when programs like Western Carolina and Chattanooga are developing, and Furman and App State appear loaded for bear for the next few years. They might finish 6th in the SoCon next year, and be grateful that they still have The Citadel and Elon in the conference!!

GSUhooligan
November 29th, 2005, 11:28 AM
This is the attitude that is getting him fired in the first place. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can advance that far EVERY year, its just not feasible, and for you to think it is, just make you look arrogant and ignorant

Erk Russell and Paul Johnson did.

It is VERY feasible to get to the quarterfinals every year. I'm not saying win the whole damn thing every year. We just need to get back to the GSU of old when everyone was afraid to play us, and for good reason. Like I said, I don't agree totally with this move. Maybe firing the DC and the Secondary coach, but not the whole staff.

henfan
November 29th, 2005, 11:30 AM
GSU job posting: Wanted Head Coach, Georgia Southern University.

Must run the triple option and maintain a black belt in Karate.

Only qualified candidates need apply.

:)

Tribe4SF
November 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM
NO! I'm a little torn with the issue. The last 3 years have not been acceptable. There is no way in hell we should lose in the 1st round of the playoffs EVER! .

Those expectations may have been realistic 5-10 years ago, but there are too many good I-AA programs now to believe that will be the case. Parity has clearly arrived, and GSU needs to recognize that it will be very difficult to dominate in the future.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Those expectations may have been realistic 5-10 years ago, but there are too many good I-AA programs now to believe that will be the case. Parity has clearly arrived, and GSU needs to recognize that it will be very difficult to dominate in the future.

this was the point I was about to make, there are too many developing teams, even in the SoCon alone, much less the whole nation

Tailbone
November 29th, 2005, 11:38 AM
NO! I'm a little torn with the issue. The last 3 years have not been acceptable. There is no way in hell we should lose in the 1st round of the playoffs EVER! .........

I agree.
Maybe that's the difference between GSU/Montana and everyone else.
Fire away!

fuEMO
November 29th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I hate to see Sewak gone.

An interesting thought, I don't think it would ever happen but could you imagine Ayers going to GSU. I personally think he would be tuff to beat at a school like GSU.

Mr. C
November 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Mike Ayers wouldn't want any part of someone like Sam Baker. By the way, I have three or four sources confirming that Sewak has indeed been fired. Look for a story on it to be posted anytime on I-AA.org.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Mike Ayers wouldn't want any part of someone like Sam Baker. By the way, I have three or four sources confirming that Sewak has indeed been fired. Look for a story on it to be posted anytime on I-AA.org.

before the press conference even occurs xlolx

Cincy App
November 29th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Mixed emotions on this as an ASU fan. I can't really blame the GSU administration for letting Sewak go. There's nothing wrong with high expectations. GSU does not expect to go three straight years without winning a single playoff game. Personally, I don't think that Sewak was the right coach for GSU but it may have been premature to let him go after 4 respectable years (but most standards). I don't buy the "you can't win regularly in I-AA due to parity" argument. I-AA is weaker today not stronger given the solid programs that have left for I-A over time. Also, if Paul Johnson was still the coach, GSU would still regularly be reaching the semis or finals. Anyway, good luck GSU with the coaching search and hopefully Sewak lands on his feet.

FightinBluHen51
November 29th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Foreshame on the GSU AD. Definately not something you do to a guy that's given you two successful years with two playoff apperiences and primed and ready to make another run next year. Hell, even UD fans were calling for some changes (well, talking about how long Keeler gets a pass) with all the injuries and new faces and how we weren't very good mid-stream in the season.

BTW, live audio or video feed online?

Black and Gold Express
November 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Whoever is the next coach will have to have ties to the triple option offense. GSU has no personnel to run any other kind of offense right now.

Their "good throwing" quarterback would be third on most depth charts in your passing offense programs, they have only one good receiver, and it's hard to tell just how good Craft would be in a more traditional offense when he'd be covered a lot more closely, and regularly doubled. And the line is built more for fan blocking and opening little creases for the quick hitters. And unless I missed it, they have no tight ends.

Any wholescale change in offense would almost assuredly result in GSU struggling badly for at least a year or two, so unless they are suicidal they won't do it. That certainly whittles down the candidate lists a ton.

blukeys
November 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Agreed. All of I-AA is becoming like the A-10 regarding competitiveness. How many No.1 teams got knocked off this year? I look for more of the same in the future.

FightinBluHen51
November 29th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Agreed. All of I-AA is becoming like the A-10 regarding competitiveness. How many No.1 teams got knocked off this year? I look for more of the same in the future.
That's good. It provides for more excitment and means that we have a better product than that joke of a system that I-A has.

chantster
November 29th, 2005, 12:09 PM
With the whole staff getting canned, I guarantee they have already found their HC for 2006.

Lapper
November 29th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I think the Liberty job is open or opening up. :nod:

DemiGS
November 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Is this official at this point? Is there somewhere I could go read about this?

blueballs
November 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
The rumors are certainly flying...

The players were called into a meeting this morning and informed of the decision of termination of the current staff.

This issue goes deeper than has been discussed here. The situation surrounding Erk Russell's departure from the program rankled many longtime boosters and citizens around Statesboro. The lack of discipline in the program that clearly cost GSU the McNeese and Wofford games only stirred the pot further, and the meltdown this past Saturday sealed the deal. This has been brewing for a couple of years and reached a head Saturday. Sewak likely had to get to 'Nooga to keep the position.

In the minds of those close to the program and who donate the lions share of the money, the program has grossly underachieved the last 3 seasons given the talent level in the program. The OOC record is disgraceful by our standards and we have underperformed in big games since 2002.

The new coach will be Hugh Nall, who is the o-line coach at Auburn and an original member of the coaching staff that Erk Russell started the program with in 1982. Nall is very familiar with the type of offense GSU has traditionally run and is familiar with HS coaches in the Southeast. This is NOT a rumor.

Rumor also has it that two former all american players for GSC will man the coordinator spots, but I reiterate, this is just a rumor.

In summary, this move goes far beyond won/loss records, though the record in "big games" was a huge issue, and straight to discipline and what is perceived as a downward trend vis a vis the talent level and expectations. The people around Statesboro will not put up with what they perceive as an out of control team that underachieves.

I feel terrible for the current staff and especially Mike Sewak. He and his family are top notch people and he loves the university and bleeds blue for sure. I've never met a coach who is more personable in my experience around competitive athletics.

BUT, he will be the first one to tell you what the expectations are with this position and he knew exactly what he was getting into when he tok the position.

GSU will be a very strong team next year. They only lose 3 off the two deep on offense, they redshirted 24 and 29 out of the 56 who travelled in the playoffs this year are freshmen and sophmores. The situation defensively will be addressed and we fully expect to contend for conference and national honors in 2006.

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 12:37 PM
So what names are being floated as potential replacements?
Has anyone answered this?

dbackjon
November 29th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Read the entire post directly proceeding yours.

griz37
November 29th, 2005, 12:42 PM

It looks like Blueballs answered it by saying Hugh Nalls, O-Lin coach at Auburn is in at GSU.

Coastal89
Hugh Nall, OC at Auburn

Head Coach Mike Sewak Fired at Georgia Southern
David Coulson, I-AA.org senior columnist
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=74605

Sewak was the Southern Conference coach of the year just last season and had compiled a 35-14 record overall and a 15-7 mark in the SoCon, with two league championships. But he is the first head coach since the restart of the Eagle program in 1982 not to win a national title. ...

Coastal89
November 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM
But he is the first head coach since the restart of the Eagle program in 1982 not to win a national title. ...
Did Mr.C forget Frank Ellwood? 1996 4-7

bobcatfan06
November 29th, 2005, 12:57 PM
"Another possibility might be Nicholls State head coach Jay Thomas, who led the Colonels to a Southland Conference title and a 6-4 record this season. NSU runs the same spread option rushing attack that has been the staple of GSU's success through the years."

Hmmmmm....... But Blueballs said it was Nalls so I believe him. That would be interesting if Thomas went to GSU. Nicholls more than likely could not even come close to matching what GSU would offer. If GSU offered him, he would be gone.

ngineer
November 29th, 2005, 12:59 PM

I know what you talk of. A number of Lehigh alums are calling for Lembo's head. The guy's never been worse than 8-4, has won about 75% of his games. What kind of message does that send? I am not apologizing for Lembo. He's made some mistakes over his young career, and I stress young, because I think he's grown with the position (he's only 35, now), but this culture of ours that demands nothing but championships or off with their heads mentality shows how skewed our priorities are in the country's academic world. At least GSU has a budget and a philosophy that sets winning the NCAA as a realistic possibility every year. Lehigh does not have the budget to undertake that commitment--yet people think some 'big name' coach would want to come to Bethlehem with the various restrictions on recruiting, mediocre salary (comparatively) and accept the ultimatum of championships or else.

LBPop
November 29th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Hey Ralph, using these standards about how many coaches in I-AA would be getting fired this year? :eek:

I can think of several Patriot League jobs that would open up. :confused:

ngineer
November 29th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Hey Ralph, using these standards about how many coaches in I-AA would be getting fired this year? :eek: I can think of several Patriot League jobs that would open up. :confused:

Hey, LB--looks like great minds think alike... ;)

DemiGS
November 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
To be honest, I don't think this is an issue of winning percentage, coach of the year, or any of the usual measuring sticks. For the GSU faithful, this is a matter of work ethic. When PJ left there was an obvious and immediate drop off in level of preparation of the team, and game management. Regardless of what talent we have had in any given year, the execution always looked rusty and unrehearsed.

November 29th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Did Mr.C forget Frank Ellwood? 1996 4-7Ellwood was an interim coach. That has been clarified in the article. The piece will also be updated after the press conference.

FUPaladin
November 29th, 2005, 01:22 PM
In summary, this move goes far beyond won/loss records, though the record in "big games" was a huge issue, and straight to discipline and what is perceived as a downward trend vis a vis the talent level and expectations. The people around Statesboro will not put up with what they perceive as an out of control team that underachieves.

Too bad the people around Statesboro do not have the same expectations for their fans or students!

FightinBluHen51
November 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Again, online link to the press conference feeds?

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Too bad the people around Statesboro do not have the same expectations for their fans or students!

OUCH! :asswhip:

EagleCrusade
November 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Explain to me why GS has animosity towards Furman again?

blueballs
November 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM

That classless comment is very far below what the other Furman people on this board would post. I would expect better... but then again maybe not...

If throwing around smack makes you feel better then I have this one for you: Coach Sewak defeated your Paladins 3 out of 4 times, including the only time in this millenium your team was ranked #1. He owned you by any measurable standard. :asswhip: He led a GSU team that came into your stadium and put a 35-0 halftime ass whipping on you during your homecoming. :asswhip:

GSU STILL OWNS YOU TO THE TUNE OF 12-5. :asswhip:

OL FU
November 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Explain to me why GS has animosity towards Furman again?
:dizzy: :D

OL FU
November 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
That classless comment is very far below what the other Furman people on this board would post. I would expect better... but then again maybe not...

If throwing around smack makes you feel better then I have this one for you: Coach Sewak defeated your Paladins 3 out of 4 times, including the only time in this millenium your team was ranked #1. He owned you by any measurable standard. :asswhip: He led a GSU team that came into your stadium and put a 35-0 halftime ass whipping on you during your homecoming. :asswhip:

Thanks for the reminder :bang:

GreatAppSt
November 29th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Stupid GSU Stupid.

Eagle22
November 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Press Release just issued via email:

Georgia Southern Athletics Will Not Renew Mike Sewak’s Contract
The contracts for football head coach Mike Sewak and his assistants will not be renewed.
Sewak departs following four-year tenure as head coach.

STATESBORO, Ga. – The contract of Mike Sewak, head football coach at Georgia Southern University, will not be renewed. Sam Baker, Director of Athletics, made the announcement Tuesday afternoon (Nov. 29) in a press conference at the Lupton Building. Contracts for the assistant football coaches will not be renewed as well.

During his four-year tenure as head coach Sewak compiled a 35-14 overall record but was 2-3 in the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs, including a first round defeat each of the last two seasons and no postseason victories since 2002.

Sewak led the Eagles to the semifinals in 2002, but the Eagles failed to qualify for the playoffs the following year and then suffered first round exits in 2004 and 2005.

Georgia Southern finished the 2005 season 8-4 overall and 5-2 in the Southern Conference. The Eagles received an at-large bid to the I-AA playoffs after finishing second in the SoCon standings, but lost in the first round at Texas State 50-35.

“After considerable thought and reflection, I decided our football program needs to go in a different direction,” said Baker. “Mike has directed the football program in a professional manner and been a positive ambassador for Georgia Southern. However, our expectations for the football program have not been met. Therefore, I feel it’s time to find new leadership for our storied program.”

According to University President Bruce Grube, “Athletics Director Sam Baker has my full support in his decision to set a new course for the football program at Georgia Southern University. Intercollegiate athletics adds an important dimension to the life of this University. We look forward to the next chapter of Eagle Football.”

rosy410
November 29th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Ouch!

dirtbag
November 29th, 2005, 02:15 PM
There is no way in hell we should lose in the 1st round of the playoffs EVER!

I apologize for picking on the GSU fanbase last week. I was clearly wrong.

:rolleyes:

Mr. C
November 29th, 2005, 02:26 PM
The article on I-AA.org about Mike Sewak's firing has been updated with news from the press conference.

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Erk Russell and Paul Johnson did.

It is VERY feasible to get to the quarterfinals every year. I'm not saying win the whole damn thing every year. We just need to get back to the GSU of old when everyone was afraid to play us, and for good reason. Like I said, I don't agree totally with this move. Maybe firing the DC and the Secondary coach, but not the whole staff.

1-AA football has changed drastically over the last 20 years. The quality of competition has increase signficantly since the 1980's.

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 02:31 PM

GSU STILL OWNS YOU TO THE TUNE OF 12-5. :asswhip: :deadhorse

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Stupid GSU Stupid.

This could bite them in the xazzx

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM

That wasn't a homecoming game. It was however, still an ass whooping.

henfan
November 29th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I agree entirely, FU97. I'm not sure what great programs left I-AA that haven't been replaced by other pretty terrific programs. More importantly, the overall level of competition has increased almost across the board.

I don't know much about Hugh Nall, but it seems like GSU could do significantly better. What's the guy's resume as a college head football coach or coordinator?

November 29th, 2005, 02:42 PM
... I don't know much about Hugh Nall, but it seems like GSU could do significantly better. What's the guy's resume as a college head football coach or coordinator?"Auburn assistant Hugh Nall, the offensive line coach for Erk Russell from 1981-84, is viewed as a potential head coaching candidate. Nall is the offensive line coach and a former offensive coordinator at Auburn. He also has coached at Georgia, Texas Christian and Mississippi."
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=74605

appst89
November 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM
1-AA football has changed drastically over the last 20 years. The quality of competition has increase signficantly since the 1980's.

I'd have to completely disagree with that assessment. I think 1-AA is significantly weaker now than in the mid-80s. There may be more parity, but there is less overall talent.

DB_Atlantic10
November 29th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Press Release just issued via email:

Georgia Southern Athletics Will Not Renew Mike Sewak’s Contract
The contracts for football head coach Mike Sewak and his assistants will not be renewed.
Sewak departs following four-year tenure as head coach.

STATESBORO, Ga. – The contract of Mike Sewak, head football coach at Georgia Southern University, will not be renewed. Sam Baker, Director of Athletics, made the announcement Tuesday afternoon (Nov. 29) in a press conference at the Lupton Building. Contracts for the assistant football coaches will not be renewed as well.

During his four-year tenure as head coach Sewak compiled a 35-14 overall record but was 2-3 in the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs, including a first round defeat each of the last two seasons and no postseason victories since 2002.

Sewak led the Eagles to the semifinals in 2002, but the Eagles failed to qualify for the playoffs the following year and then suffered first round exits in 2004 and 2005.

Georgia Southern finished the 2005 season 8-4 overall and 5-2 in the Southern Conference. The Eagles received an at-large bid to the I-AA playoffs after finishing second in the SoCon standings, but lost in the first round at Texas State 50-35.

“After considerable thought and reflection, I decided our football program needs to go in a different direction,” said Baker. “Mike has directed the football program in a professional manner and been a positive ambassador for Georgia Southern. However, our expectations for the football program have not been met. Therefore, I feel it’s time to find new leadership for our storied program.”

According to University President Bruce Grube, “Athletics Director Sam Baker has my full support in his decision to set a new course for the football program at Georgia Southern University. Intercollegiate athletics adds an important dimension to the life of this University. We look forward to the next chapter of Eagle Football.”

What a joke!!! Basically, they are saying...we made the play-offs, but since you didnt' win it all in your four year tenure, we are letting you go!!! Nevermind the other 100 pluss I-AA programs competing for the same title, GSU deserves it more than anyone.......so hit the road!! Who in the hell would want that job!!!

blur2005
November 29th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I'd have to completely disagree with that assessment. I think 1-AA is significantly weaker now than in the mid-80s. There may be more parity, but there is less overall talent.
I'm not sure whether to agree or disagree with that statement. Seems there are many players who went under the radar in the 80s and make big impacts in I-AA, such as Jerry Rice, but I'm not sure if the overall talent level has gone down. Whatever the talent level, parity has come about, and for the better I think.

henfan
November 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks, Ralph. So, Nall has no previous HC experience and very little experience as a coordinator. If it were me, I wouldn't feel comfortable turning over the to the kingdom to a guy with little experience at any level leading a team. Seems like a big jump to hire this guy just because he spent some time with Erk at GSU.

I wouldn't say Nall isn't right guy. I really don't have a clue. It just seems that the premiere program in I-AA could afford to be a little more choosy and select candidates with guadier resumes.

Good luck to GSU. Whoever they get on board will no doubt give the rest of I-AA holy hell.

TypicalTribe
November 29th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I agree entirely, FU97. I'm not sure what great programs left I-AA that haven't been replaced by other pretty terrific programs. More importantly, the overall level of competition has increased almost across the board.

This guy got fired for going 35-14 in 4 season, plus 2-3 in the playoffs. I understand that it's disappointing compared to past performance at GSU. However, other than GSU, only Montana, Furman and Western Kentucky made the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. Considering that GSU was handed arguably the toughest 1st round game in each of the last 2 years, it's clear that Sewak is not being held to an objective standard.

If they'd lost to both Furman and ASU and finished 7-4 and missed the playoffs, I think I could see it, but it really was a pretty good year considering the personnel.

pete4256
November 29th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Every now and then I pull out the tape of GSU's shellacking of Ark. State in the 1986 NC game. ArkSt was loaded with NFL players, including several on defense and the big man Fred Barnett (remember him Phil. Eagle fans?) at wideout. They were probably more athletic than any I-AA team I've seen recently.

Those were the days when good I-AA teams regularly beat I-A teams. I think the ArkSt was in the top 25 that year. Though it might have been another team we played in the playoffs. Nevada-Reno?

henfan
November 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
There may be more parity, but there is less overall talent.

You're entitled to your opinion, certainly. The reality is that today's players are, across the board, bigger, faster, stronger than their counterparts of the 1980's. I watch tapes of the games from the late '80's/early '90's and wonder at how slow the game was and how much smaller many of linemen were then. Most teams didn't have the ability to recruit nationally, as they do today.

As for talent, unquestionably the talent level in the A-10, Patriot and MEAC has raised significantly since the late '80's; not coincidentally this has coincided with more parity in those leagues and the division (low equivalancy leagues not included.)

henfan
November 29th, 2005, 03:06 PM
There may be more parity, but there is less overall talent.

You're entitled to your opinion, certainly. There's little evidence that would support that claim.

The reality is that today's players are, across the board, bigger, faster, stronger than their counterparts of the 1980's. I watch tapes of the games from the late '80's/early '90's and wonder at how slow the game was and how much smaller many of linemen were then. Most teams didn't have the ability to recruit nationally, as they do today.

As for talent, unquestionably the talent level in the A-10, Patriot and MEAC has raised significantly since the late '80's; not coincidentally this has coincided with more parity in those leagues and the division (low equivalancy leagues not included.)

Grande Rosso
Maybe there is a good reason that hasn't been mentioned, but why isn't Rusty Russell's name coming up?

DB_Atlantic10
I'm not sure whether to agree or disagree with that statement. Seems there are many players who went under the radar in the 80s and make big impacts in I-AA, such as Jerry Rice, but I'm not sure if the overall talent level has gone down. Whatever the talent level, parity has come about, and for the better I think.

One thing that could probably be contributed to this is, kids just aren't willing to wait their turn anymore...at both the I-AA and the I-A levels. Kids are trasferring from the I-A to I-AA levels in droves because they just want to play. Kids are turning down the great program offers from the FSU's and Miami's if they know they can play right away at NC State etc,. College football is like a job to kids, so why practice for 4 years and never touch the field being a solid back-up...just for a hotshot 5-Star freshman to come in and take over....just something to think about IMO...... xcoffeex

pete4256
November 29th, 2005, 03:13 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, certainly. There's little evidence that would support that claim.

The reality is that today's players are, across the board, bigger, faster, stronger than their counterparts of the 1980's. I watch tapes of the games from the late '80's/early '90's and wonder at how slow the game was and how much smaller many of linemen were then. Most teams didn't have the ability to recruit nationally, as they do today.

Yeah, but you've got to look at it relatively. The gap between I-A talent and I-AA talent seems bigger than it did then. Perhaps the players were smaller and slower then, but the increase in speed and (especially) size has been occurring at the BCS level, too--probably at a faster rate than at I-AA.

blur2005
November 29th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Yeah, but you've got to look at it relatively. The gap between I-A talent and I-AA talent seems bigger than it did then. Perhaps the players were smaller and slower then, but the increase in speed and (especially) size has been occurring at the BCS level, too--probably at a faster rate than at I-AA.
Well, a lot of I-AA teams of the near past are pseudo I-A's now, and some are even true I-As, though there's more of the former than the latter.

appst89
November 29th, 2005, 03:39 PM

And you are entitled to yours, but there's really no empirical evidence to support your counter-claim either. It's a judgment call. My experience is with ASU and I think the '86 team that lost in the 1st round would pound this year's #2 seeded team. There's no question in my mind that the talent level in the SoCon has dropped off substantially since the 80s.

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Hey, Battling Bickersons -

Did Sewak get removed, or what?

rosy410
November 29th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Him and the whole staff are gone

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM

:eek: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

pete4256
November 29th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Well, a lot of I-AA teams of the near past are pseudo I-A's now, and some are even true I-As, though there's more of the former than the latter.

Well, speaking of talent from a decade+ ago, you DID get to watch Haley and Clark at JMU. When's the last time you had players as talented as them?

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2005, 04:45 PM
And we all thought "Rush to Judgment" was written by Mark Lane! :rolleyes:

Baldy
November 29th, 2005, 04:57 PM

I don't know much about Hugh Nall, but it seems like GSU could do significantly better. What's the guy's resume as a college head football coach or coordinator?

FWIW...Erk Russell, Tim Stowers, Paul Johnson, and Mike Sewak weren't head coaches before they got the GSU gig, either.
IMO, our problem over the past few years hasn't been X's & O's. It's been more mental than anything else. We had a player get kicked out at the end of the Texas State game, another was pulled out because he kicked a SD State player during the game this year, and many others have received personal fouls for very undiciplined play all year long. Stupid mental mistakes.

Sewak left the cupboard full, so whoever gets the job will get the keys to a national championship caliber team.

DemiGS
November 29th, 2005, 05:07 PM
How long does it take to see that someone isn't working out? AGAIN... it wasn't so much his record, or the talent - but the way he ran the team. The Mike Sewak Eagles consistently under achieved. His play calling, his half time adjustments, and the way he ran practices were all sub par. I don't expect next year to be #7 for us, but I would like to see some more focus from the team. The last several years we have really not kept our eyes on the prize. It’s just not acceptable for any team to take 5 or 6 games before they begin functioning like a team. I know this year we had a lot of new people to break in, but I'm not only talking about this year. I have no idea about the guy being talking about for the job. I hope our AD makes a good decision this time around. I believe last time Sewak just fell into the position because he seemed like a natural choice. In retrospect, I think maybe Rusty Russell would have been a much better pick.

EagleRB
November 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM
And we all thought "Rush to Judgment" was written by Mark Lane! :rolleyes:

This coming from a Harvard fan.... Why dont you head back to the library and leave the football to us boys in the South..... I mean geez... Join a conference that competes in some kind of post season play before you come on here degrading our program.... xazzx

MarkCCU
November 29th, 2005, 06:04 PM
This coming from a Harvard fan.... Why dont you head back to the library and leave the football to us boys in the South..... I mean geez... Join a conference that competes in some kind of post season play before you come on here degrading our program.... xazzx

Don't like the IVY do ya? lol

MarkCCU
November 29th, 2005, 06:11 PM
what bull****..good luck trying to get someone in that program. "Hey you get 4 chances, if you don't win we're kicking your ass to the curb like we did to Mikey" :coach:

mainejeff
November 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Is it true that Maine's Jack Cosgrove is a finalist for the GSU position? :nod:

Mr. C
November 29th, 2005, 07:11 PM
How long does it take to see that someone isn't working out? AGAIN... it wasn't so much his record, or the talent - but the way he ran the team. The Mike Sewak Eagles consistently under achieved. His play calling, his half time adjustments, and the way he ran practices were all sub par. I don't expect next year to be #7 for us, but I would like to see some more focus from the team. The last several years we have really not kept our eyes on the prize. It’s just not acceptable for any team to take 5 or 6 games before they begin functioning like a team. I know this year we had a lot of new people to break in, but I'm not only talking about this year. I have no idea about the guy being talking about for the job. I hope our AD makes a good decision this time around. I believe last time Sewak just fell into the position because he seemed like a natural choice. In retrospect, I think maybe Rusty Russell would have been a much better pick.
Underachieved? I think not. I have seen Georgia Southern play numerous times each year since moving to the south 13 years ago and from my viewpoint, Sewak's teams for the most part have overachieved. They surprisingly reached the semifinals his first year and just making the playoffs this season was a major accomplishment. Georgia Southern was so good last year that its lack of close games probably hurt it when it finally played a pair of tight games at the end of the season against Furman and New Hampshire. The team in 2003 just wasn't playoff caliber. Any team can be upset on Any Given Saturday, as happened against New Hampshire last season. Basically what you are saying is that if Georgia Southern doesn't win it all in a given year, the team has underachieved. How presumptious and arrogant. There are a lot of good programs out there with a chance to win each year. Only one team does.

Rusty Russell would have been a horrendous choice as a head coach. He has been a mediocre coach throughout his career and only got to where he was at GSU and only stayed there as long as he did because of his last name. If Rusty is such a great candidate, hire him now and see what he does with the Eagles in the next four years. I'll bet he won't have anything close to a 35-14 record.

Baldy
November 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Rusty Russell would have been a horrendous choice as a head coach. He has been a mediocre coach throughout his career and only got to where he was at GSU and only stayed there as long as he did because of his last name. If Rusty is such a great candidate, hire him now and see what he does with the Eagles in the next four years. I'll bet he won't have anything close to a 35-14 record.

Cold chills.................brrrrrrrrrr

I know you were only making a point Mr. C, but please don't ever utter the words "Rusty Russell" and "GSU Head Coach" in the same sentence ever again.

Thanks, :D

matfu
November 29th, 2005, 07:37 PM
WANTED:FOOTBALL COACH AT GEORGIA SOUTHERN

-must walk on water, be perfect, be sinless etc.

-must win every game

-must win the national championship every year

etc. etc. etc.

-good luck to the next coach!

JSU Fan
November 29th, 2005, 07:40 PM
be sinless

I thought Statesboro and sin were synonymous?

:beerchug:

Out.

Mr. C
November 29th, 2005, 07:59 PM

I know you were only making a point Mr. C, but please don't ever utter the words "Rusty Russell" and "GSU Head Coach" in the same sentence ever again.

Boy, did I need a laugh after today. Thanks Baldy.

Reed Rothchild
November 29th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Anyone got a link? GSU's website has nothing.

Dallas Demon
November 29th, 2005, 08:09 PM

It's there, but not clearly visible...

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/tools/getstory.aspx?storyid=750

Reed Rothchild
November 29th, 2005, 08:09 PM
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=74605

FOUND IT!!

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2005, 09:16 PM

Degrading your program? Moi? I've never said a bad word about GSU's program on any post. Ask Brother Baldy, a GSU alum with a helluva lot more posts than you. Son, do your homework. I would venture a guess that you don't even know where the GSU library is.

rosy410
November 29th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Many players under Rusty couldn't stand him and had no respect for him. The situation was handled wrong but he had to go.

Tribe4SF
November 29th, 2005, 10:20 PM
This is not a good situation for GSU. Who would want this job, working for a guy like Baker?

Imagine how the team feels. And recruiting season is here. With the entire staff gone, recruits will undoubtedly be lost.

Sad day for GSU football.

ronpayne
November 29th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I wholeheartedly agree its a bad move. Maybe some will go with the GSU should always contend for the national title, but thats just downright sad expectations - GSU has always been a tough team to play. Sewak's record over the last 4 years is good and solid. As a band director, if I were told I had to take what I inherited in a program (which I just did inherit a fairly strong program), and make it consistently with perfect scores at contests and win all of our competitions because we already have a full trophy wall, I'd walk out. Now expecting a strong performance from a band or a football team is reasonable - and GSU has done that. Making the playoffs as consistently as they have, upsetting strong FU and ASU teams (among others), they have done well.

Sewak won't stay unemployed long - I don't know enough about him to predict his future records, but I think he'll do well.

In closing, thank you to GSU for making ASU's job easier next year, in my honest opinion.

Good luck to all playoff teams and coaches this year -

"I said it's GREAT to be a Mountaineer!"

I'm just a band director, so I could be WAY off base, but hey - what do I know! Yay Band!

Baldy
November 29th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Degrading your program? Moi? I've never said a bad word about GSU's program on any post. Ask Brother Baldy, a GSU alum with a helluva lot more posts than you. Son, do your homework. I would venture a guess that you don't even know where the GSU library is.

Absolutely. Ivytalk is top shelf. I've never seen him take GSU's name in vain. He's just voicing his opinion that the Administration dropped the hammer too soon. That's all.
You must have him confused with some clown from Yale or something. :D ;)

EagleCrusade
November 29th, 2005, 10:56 PM
What is great about this thread is everyone seems to be an expert on GS and its football dealings. Looking at record alone yes it seems weird, yet beyond the surface its not as pretty.

Zook at Florida, Willingham @ Notre Dame

Top caliber programs demand results. Let GS do what they believe is best. Trust me, I believe they know what they're doing. All this "GS is stupid" crap from teams that rarely have winning season, why dont you hire him?

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I say Rice should take Sewak, they would kill for a winning season!

I hope this auburn dude will bring the heat... some how I think he will. I have surprisingly good feelings about him.

on a side note, I cant wait to Shake Erk's hand as he watches us coast by App state next year at home!!! (no offence appy fans thats our only home rivalry next year)

November 29th, 2005, 11:40 PM
... Top caliber programs demand results. Let GS do what they believe is best. Trust me, I believe they know what they're doing. All this "GS is stupid" crap from teams that rarely have winning season, why dont you hire him?Take a listen to what Coulson said tonight on I-AA WAVES... he's been following GaSU since they joined the SoCon and I believe he has maybe a bit more insight...

sceagle
November 30th, 2005, 12:39 AM
The fact is the program was not headed in the right direction the past few years. Making the playoffs should not be considered overachieving for a GSU team. The Georgia Southern football program is measured by success in the playoffs. Over the past few years we have been losing games we shouldn't. Coaches will want to come here because we are THE 6 TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION GEORGIA SOUTHERN EAGLES!

November 30th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Coaches will want to come here because we are THE 6 TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION GEORGIA SOUTHERN EAGLES!yeah right. What kind of coach and staff will you get if they get GaSU into the playoffs and then get fired? That's the track record GaSU has... ask Stowers and Sewak. :nonono2:

jmuroller
November 30th, 2005, 12:44 AM
If I had to bet on it, the spread option is gone at GSU. If Nebraska can go away from the option, then anyone can. Just my 3 cents (inflation) xcoffeex

jmuroller
November 30th, 2005, 12:45 AM
yeah right. What kind of coach and staff will you get if they get GaSU into the playoffs and then get fired? That's the track record GaSU has... ask Stowers and Sewak. :nonono2:

GSU isn't the job it was 15 years ago. Alot more competition for players down there will the new schools.

November 30th, 2005, 12:46 AM
If I had to bet on it, the spread option is gone at GSU. If Nebraska can go away from the option, then anyone can. Just my 3 cents (inflation) xcoffeexThat would be foolish because they are a top offense in I-AA every year. Why change that?

November 30th, 2005, 12:48 AM
GSU isn't the job it was 15 years ago. Alot more competition for players down there will the new schools.Uh, take a look at their playoff appearances... can't beat it.

jmuroller
November 30th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Ralph, it's simply a fact that it's not the job it wa 15 years ago. They make the playoffs every year because they are a really good team in SoCon. Let them come play in the A-10 and those playoff appearances will shrink in a hurry. Loot at what UNH did to them last year, and they were the 4th place team in the A10. Are they a really good program? Yes. But they aren't even close to the dominating team they 15 years ago.

Why can't they go away from the triple option? Nebraska IS the ICON and gold standard for the triple option and they went away from it. All I'm saying is I would not be surprised at all if they hired someone that doesn't run it.

Baldy
November 30th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Ralph, it's simply a fact that it's not the job it wa 15 years ago. They make the playoffs every year because they are a really good team in SoCon. Let them come play in the A-10 and those playoff appearances will shrink in a hurry. Loot at what UNH did to them last year, and they were the 4th place team in the A10. Are they a really good program? Yes. But they aren't even close to the dominating team they 15 years ago.

Why can't they go away from the triple option? Nebraska IS the ICON and gold standard for the triple option and they went away from it. All I'm saying is I would not be surprised at all if they hired someone that doesn't run it.

There's a slight chance that it might happen, but I wouldn't put money on it. Not a dime.

November 30th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Ralph, it's simply a fact that it's not the job it wa 15 years ago. They make the playoffs every year because they are a really good team in SoCon. Let them come play in the A-10 and those playoff appearances will shrink in a hurry. Loot at what UNH did to them last year, and they were the 4th place team in the A10...What are you talking about? UNH was 6-2 in the A-10 last year with three other teams tying for first with 7-1 records. None of those teams were in UNH's division of the A-10. So you can say they finished fourth in the most powerful conference LAST YEAR but get this ingrained... the A-10 is not the most powerful conference THIS YEAR. GaSU has twice as many championships as the A-10 as a whole has. That is the real shrink factor. Geez, koolaid must really be flowing freely where you are at. You are saying "15 years" but you must be forgetting that GaSU won the title BACK-TO-BACK YEARS just five years ago. Gawd, everyone is proud of their conference but keep it realistic.

jmuroller
November 30th, 2005, 01:14 AM
What are you talking about? UNH was 6-2 in the A-10 last year with three other teams tying for first with 7-1 records. None of those teams were in UNH's division of the A-10. So you can say they finished fourth in the most powerful conference LAST YEAR. Get this ingrained... the A-10 is not the most powerful conference THIS YEAR. GaSU has twice as many championships as the A-10 as a whole has. That is the real shrink factor. Geez, koolaid must really be flowing freely where you are at. You are saying "15 years" but you must be forgetting that GaSU won the title BACK-TO-BACK YEARS just five years ago. Gawd, everyone is proud of their conference but keep it realistic.

GSU is not as dominant as they once were. That's my opinion. Top to bottom the A10 was the best conference this year, and you know that's the truth. There is hardly a dropoff when you get past the top 3-4 schools. Last time I checked 6-2 in conference, with 3 other schools at 7-1 makes you the 4th place team. So what they were in the North? I don't think I'm telling something you don't know in that we play each other within the 2 divisions. I'm not into getting into an arguement with you Ralph, but the A10 is the best conference. This year we weren't by as large of a margin as last year, but we still were #1.

November 30th, 2005, 01:20 AM
... Top to bottom the A10 was the best conference this year, and you know that's the truth...No it wasn't. You might have heard even Matt and Dave on I-AA Waves say it. Face it. Try more next year.

Also check how the two divisions play each other because it isn't round robin you know?

mainejeff
November 30th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Eastern Washington was the top team this season...... :rolleyes:

November 30th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Eastern Washington was the top team this season...... :rolleyes:and New Hampshire played Richmond... :rolleyes:

mainejeff
November 30th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Dammit ralph.....your Eastern Washington team screwed me last weekend. I finally picked them and they go and lose. :mad:

November 30th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Dammit ralph.....your Eastern Washington team screwed me last weekend. I finally picked them and they go and lose. :mad::lmao:
Let's see...
I'm anti-West and pro-East
I'm anti-East and pro-West
I'm anti-A-10 and pro-GFC
I'm anti-BSC and pro-A-10
I'm anti-South and pro-North
I'm anti-North and pro-South
I'm anti-HBCU and pro-PWC

Geez, when will you folks just accept I DON'T HAVE A I-AA TEAM and I LIKE THEM ALL? I can find grace and fault in them all too!

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 01:46 AM
:lmao:
Let's see...
I'm anti-West and pro-East
I'm anti-East and pro-West
I'm anti-A-10 and pro-GFC
I'm anti-BSC and pro-A-10
I'm anti-South and pro-North
I'm anti-North and pro-South
I'm anti-HBCU and pro-PWC

Geez, when will you folks just accept I DON'T HAVE A I-AA TEAM and I LIKE THEM ALL? I can find grace and fault in them all too!

LOL

November 30th, 2005, 01:53 AM
LOLI know except that not having a team means not getting the joys of I-AA.
I am just an observer... my teams never wins, never gets snubbed, never needs to get a new coach, never considers changing divisions, never does jack!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

So I just love them all! :xmas:

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 01:55 AM
I know except that not having a team means not getting the joys of I-AA.
I am just an observer... my teams never wins, never gets snubbed, never needs to get a new coach, never considers changing divisions, never does jack!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

at the end of the day u never go to bed depressed like Umass fans 2 weeks ago, Colgate last week and UNI this upcomming week. (:( sorry i know thats prolly borderline smack) lol

November 30th, 2005, 01:59 AM
at the end of the day u never go to bed depressed like Umass fans 2 weeks ago, Colgate last week and UNI this upcomming week. (:( sorry i know thats prolly borderline smack) lolYeah, I never go to bed depressed or elated except that knowing I follow the top NCAA football division... never go to bed depressed like UNH might any week... :p

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Yeah, I never go to bed depressed or elated except that knowing I follow the top NCAA football division... never go to bed depressed like UNH might any week... :p

yea perhaps in 4 weeks, give em a week of celebrating the National Championship then it will kick in football seasons over til next Sep and that will cause some Durham Blues

November 30th, 2005, 02:07 AM
yea perhaps in 4 weeks, give em a week of celebrating the National Championship then it will kick in football seasons over til next Sep and that will cause some Durham Bluesperhaps... perhaps not... :smiley_wi

TXST_CAT
November 30th, 2005, 02:46 AM

You might be right. That could explain the reason for releasing the entire staff.

Say Hello to the New GSU offense the "West Coast Redneck Offense". No offense just a direct Quote.

Auburn puts South in West Coast offense
By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY
Auburn's offensive line coach Hugh Nall jokes that the Tigers have a new name for their new offense: the West Coast redneck offense.
Follow link for full story.
GSU might be savoring the past but taking steps toward the future.
As far as experience I think he has seen enough time on the field to know what he is looking for in a staff. Our Coach Bailiff is in his second year as HC but he surounded himself with an amazing staff. He was a DC at TCU before comming back to TXSt. Good Luck in the New hire!
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2004-09-16-auburn-offense_x.htm

blueballs
November 30th, 2005, 08:42 AM
This was an extremely well stated and reasoned post by a fellow named "CrazySpam" from TSCSports about the situation. When you probe below the surface and face the cold facts the firing made all the sense in the world. Here you go...

The Sewak legacy

I think all of us can agree on one thing: the Eagles have lost their "mystique". By the time next season rolls around, we will be six years removed from our last national championship. Heck, we haven't even won a playoff GAME since 2002. Beyond that, we've lost three of the last five playoff games played in Paulson.

How much of this is Sewak's fault? Although the first chink in our armor appeared when Saint Paul Johnson lost his last game in Paulson in the 2001 semifinals, Sewak had four seasons to right the ship. Thus, Sewak -- along with HIS assistants and HIS players -- bear the brunt of the blame.

In defense of Sewak, all of us must admit that, like the coaches who followed the Bear at Bama, he was held to an incredibly high standard. A lot of programs would be thrilled with an 8-4 season and a trip to the playoffs; suffice it to say that we were not.

Let's review Sewak's four seasons:

2002 ended with a heartbreaking loss to Western Kentucky in the semifinals. WKU went on to win the national championship in fairly convincing fashion, so let's give Sewak the benefit of the doubt and say we were eliminated by a better team. (No, I don't believe it, either.)

2003 ended with us missing the playoffs for the first time in seven years. If you recall, after a great sophomore season in 2002, our QB showed up out of shape, and, with an underachieving defense, it was all downhill from there. To me, the fact that a supposed team leader like the QB did not do what he needed to do to prepare himself for the season raised a red flag about the team's character. Following the 2003 season, another key player had a couple of run-ins with the law, raising even more questions about team discipline.

2004 ended with the loss to New Hampshire in the first round of the playoffs. In turn, New Hampshire was eliminated by Montana.

That leads us to this season. Although we were breaking in a new quarterback, with a few lucky breaks, we could have beaten McNeese and Wofford, finished the regular season with a 10-1 record, and earned a top four seed. By the same token, if you take away one completed pass against Northeastern and one against Furman, we're 6-5 and out of the playoffs. So, an 8-3 record in the regular season is probably what we deserved.

The win over Furman thrilled the Eagle Nation and had many fans dreaming of December in Chattanooga, but, realistically, this year's team had far too many flaws to win a national championship. As usual, we had a great running game, but we couldn't throw the ball worth a darn, the defense was poor, and our special teams were less than ordinary. In addition, a very high number of bonehead penalties raised the discipline question -- again.

However, even with all of those shortcomings, there was absolutely no excuse for blowing a 19-point lead in the second half, as we did at Texas State.

A VERY disturbing trend

Since the start of the 2003 season, we have lost 10 games to I-AA opponents. In six of those games, we were ahead at the half. In one game, we were behind by only 3 points at the half. In the other three games, we trailed by 10, 10, and 17 points at the half.

McNeese State
1st half: MS 13-3
2nd half: MS 21-12
Final: MS 34-15

Wofford
1st half: GS 14-7
2nd half: Wof 13-0
Final: Wof 20-14

Citadel
1st half: Cit 21-7
2nd half: GS 17-7
Final: Cit 28-24

App State
1st half: GS 21-14
2nd half: App 14-0
Final: App 28-21

Furman
1st half: GS 12-10
2nd half: Fur 19-10
Final: Fur 29-22

New Hampshire
1st half: GS 21-13
2nd half: NH 14-2
Final: NH 27-23

McNeese State
1st half: MS 16-13
2nd half: Tie, 7-7
Final: MS 23-20

Wofford
1st half: GS 14-7
2nd half: Wof 14-3
Final: Wof 21-17

App State
1st half: App 17-0
2nd half: Tie, 7-7
Final: App 24-7

Texas State
1st half: GS 21-10
2nd half: TS 40-14
Final: TS 50-35

As you can see, in those 10 losses, we scored a total of 72 points in the second half. For those of you who weren't math majors, that averages out to 7.2 points per second half. Mark Twain once pointed out that, with a little effort, we can make stats say anything we want them to say. However, as far as I'm concerned, these numbers are screaming one thing: our opponents have been making halftime adjustments, but we haven't been able to counter their adjustments.

The defensive coordinator issue

In some places, the backup QB is the most popular guy in town.

Things are a little different in Da Boro. Here, the most popular guy is our former defensive coordinator. Personally, I find it very amusing that some folks on here talk about Rusty Russell as if he were the second coming of Erk.

While it's true that some of Rusty's defenses performed very well, it's also true that his guys played very poorly in 2003. Consequently, Sewak let him go. As the head coach, that was Sewak's prerogitive. It was his butt on the line, so he had every right to sink or swim with "his guys". (Cue the theme from "Titanic" here.)

Still, I have a question for the members of Rusty's fan club: if he is such a great coach, why isn't he working somewhere? I mean, to hear you folks tell it, Bill Belichick or Pete Carroll would be lucky to have a guy of Rusty's caliber on their staff.

As for Tresey, I thought his defense played well last year -- until November. In the Furman and New Hampshire games, our defensive players appeared to be very ill-prepared. To borrow a phrase from Randall P. McMurphy, it looked like that our guys didn't know whether to defecate or wind their wristwatches. (For those of you who are culturally deprived, McMurphy was the character portrayed by Jack Nicholson in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".)

Unfortunately, the "cluelessness" continued throughout this season. Even in many of the games we won, the defense proved to be susceptible to the big play, both on the ground and through the air. I shook my head everytime I heard someone praise the defense for its play against Furman. True, the defense did make a few key stops, and we wouldn't have won the game without those stops. However, the primary reason we "held" Furman to 24 points was because our offense kept the ball for 39 minutes. Furman had the ball for only 21 minutes and still had close to 400 yards.

A wise old coach once told me that, once toe meets leather, it doesn't matter how much the coach knows. The only thing that REALLY matters then is how much the PLAYERS know. In other words, a coach can be a walking encyclopedia of X's and O's, but if he hasn't transferred that knowledge to the guys on the field, all of the coach's knowledge is useless. As best I can tell, our defensive coaches did a urine-poor job of instilling their players with pertinent data. Either that, or our players are as dumb as dog feces.

Being "out-manned" is one thing; being "out-smarted" is inexcusable. Regardless of who our new head coach turns out to be, when you consider the fact that our entire secondary is graduating, we have a LONG way to go before we will have even a mediocre defense.

Speaking of the new head coach ...

Sam Baker has indicated that he wants to hire the best coach he can find, regardless of offensive philosophy. This should be interesting.

There are only a handful of college coaches in the entire country who have expertise with the spread option. How many of these coaches are qualified to be the head man at GSU? How many of them can we afford? Given the expectations, how many of them would even want the job? On the other hand, if we hire a coach who wants to install a more "conventional" offense, it could take him three or four recruiting classes to get the right personnel. Are we willing to wait that long for a coach and an offensive system that may or may not pan out?

One thing is certain: although the new coach will be praised and condemned by the people on this message board as soon as he is hired, it will be some time before ANY of us REALLY know whether or not he's the right guy for the job.

If you recall, the last time Southern California was looking for a coach, three people turned the job down before Pete Carroll accepted it. A lot of folks ridiculed the Trojans for settling for fourth-best, but I think they are having the last laugh.

The point I'm trying to make is that, at this crucial juncture in the history of our football program, all true Eagle fans should put aside their personal agendas and vendettas to give the new coach a FAIR CHANCE to succeed.

Ivytalk
November 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
On a personal level, I hope GSU doesn't change its offense. When well executed, it's one of the most exciting in football.

youwouldno
November 30th, 2005, 10:21 AM
GSU's problem this year was defense. The solution is to change offenses? I understand the difficulty in finding an option coach but that has really given GSU a structural advantage for a long time.

JohnStOnge
November 30th, 2005, 10:23 AM
But they aren't even close to the dominating team they 15 years ago.

They were pretty darned dominating just 5 years ago. I haven't seen too many programs in three straight national championship games.

And Nebraska SURE has made great strides since it went away from its system after having 44 years without a losing season. To me, right now, Nebraska is the poster child for taking the position that it's stupid to turn away from a system that's brought you that kind of success when you're still winning. Nebraska was in the I-A national championship game with that system as recently as 2001 and had managed four seasons with 10 or more wins in their last five years of running it including the last season (which ended in a bowl victory).

I think it'll be a long, long time before they enjoy that kind of success again...if ever. They "fixed" something that wasn't broken. I read once that they thought they had to change systems to win a national championship again. They're never going to sniff one without the system that made them what they were.

ASU Kep
November 30th, 2005, 10:25 AM
On a personal level, I hope GSU doesn't change its offense. When well executed, it's one of the most exciting in football.

I agree. Why fix sumthin' that ain't broke? It's already been said, but GSU needs to fix it's *defense*. A tweak or two here and there might help the GSU offense, but overall I'd stick with the old gal that brought me six NC's. I gotta admit, whoever takes the job has gotta have some major cojones.

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 11:02 AM
GSU's problem this year was defense. The solution is to change offenses? I understand the difficulty in finding an option coach but that has really given GSU a structural advantage for a long time.

Never saw any offense from GSU in Boone THIS year. Different matter in Statesboro last year, though.
It will definitely, as you say, takes some major cajones, or else a compulsive gambling disorder.

gophoenix
December 10th, 2005, 09:57 PM
FWIW,
Sounds like Sewak is one of the finalists for the Elon job now.

As for us chaning the offense to the triple option. Half the team is made up of Seagraves recruits.... Seagraves was a triple option only coach (wishbone/maryland I), so the change isn't that big of a deal.