PDA

View Full Version : PV A&M - Only Nine Games on Schedule

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Today is April 17. Prairie View A&M only has nine games on their schedule.

According to Joseph Duarte, the Panthers' game against Morehouse College has been called off.

As we are all well aware, PV backed out of their commitment to play SHSU already. They did not even think about informing SHSU of the decision and left the Kats scrambling to fill the date, only to end up with a Div II game.

http://blogs.chron.com/areacolleges/2009/04/prairie_viewmorehouse_football_1.html#more

Prairie View A&M was in the mix for the playoff discussion last year and have truly been the story of FCS the last two years. Henry Frazier III has been recognized by numerous entities. And what happens? His institution completely falls short in facilitating one of the simplest things - a schedule.

Henry Frazier is one of the best coaches in FCS. I hope that he's able to put together another strong season and get some consideration for a "promotion" within the coaching ranks. I would not mind him coming to SHSU if Stoker leaves after a year for a head coaching job. I like how Frazier developed Zach East.

Unbelievable...

coover
April 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Ah, the infamous Sam Houston Institute of Technology. A good school with a great acronym,

813Jag
April 18th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Ah, the infamous Sam Houston Institute of Technology. A good school with a great acronym,

xlolxxlolx

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM

We haven't heard that one numerous times already... xcoffeex

813Jag
April 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
We haven't heard that one numerous times already... xcoffeex
what's wrong with repeating things already heard? It's done here all the time.
well, maybe you don't. xreadx

Bill Hanson
April 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Why you gotta dog on PV A&M so much?

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2009, 11:52 AM

I'm a big Prairie View football fan. If you read my whole post, I gave them a lot of credit.

Henry Frazier III got my vote this past year for the Eddie Robinson Award and I also placed Zach East higher up on my ballot for the Buck Buchanon Award than most everyone in the nation. Even voted for them in my top 25 at several points of the season.

Now, the administration is the one that seems to be struggling. There was the whole SHSU scheduling debacle (which I am curious if they have since rectified now that it has been brought into the public) and now, partly because of it, they are down to nine games. Clearly unable and not having the know-how to take advantage of something great that they are building in PV.

darell1976
April 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Any chance we get rid of the Sioux Falls game and schedule them.:)

Panther88
April 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM

He's not dogging PV; he's speaking nothing but pure truth. We really dropped the ball w/ this. A lot of us aren't happy about it at all. 4mos pre-kickoff and we only have 9 games.

I assume written contracts are something our "staff," who handles this, knows nothing about. xreadx

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Any chance we get rid of the Sioux Falls game and schedule them.:)

I do not believe that PV has the $$$ to make the trip up there - you guys would have to pay for their flight and cover their expenses. It would be a great game nonetheless, a chance for PV to tackle a different style of football than what they see down this way.

darell1976
April 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I do not believe that PV has the $$$ to make the trip up there - you guys would have to pay for their flight and cover their expenses. It would be a great game nonetheless, a chance for PV to tackle a different style of football than what they see down this way.

I would rather have UND ask for donations to get them up here than to play Sioux Falls. I can't believe there will be much for attendace for that game.

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I would rather have UND ask for donations to get them up here than to play Sioux Falls. I can't believe there will be much for attendace for that game.

Would your fans rather play Prairie View? Do your fans even know who PV is? Can't say I'm knowledgable on whether your fans are knowledgable about FCS.

I am sure they know Sioux Falls.

Keeper
April 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
PVAM and Jackson St could do a non-conference match on Sept 26th, right?

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM
PVAM and Jackson St could do a non-conference match on Sept 26th, right?

If both schools have openings - they could. The SWAC schools have been playing non-conference games against each other since the end of the mandate, so anything is possible.

Panther88
April 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM

I'll alert the athletic staff that we need to hold fish fry and bbq sales from Dallas to Houston in order to help raise money to get us there. lol

We're broke. :D We have the 2nd lowest athletic budget in the SWAC just ahead of rich Mississippi Valley State Univ.

BearsCountry
April 18th, 2009, 08:08 PM

If you guys and NDSU do a little switch a roo, I could see NDSU pony up the cash for the Panthers to go to Fargo.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I wonder how much money it costs them to host a game at Reliant Stadium.. Other than their normal Labor Classic Game, i bet they can sell alot of tickets advertising a game in that stadium.. And it'll make a good team WANT to come out there for a game.

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I wonder how much money it costs them to host a game at Reliant Stadium.. Other than their normal Labor Classic Game, i bet they can sell alot of tickets advertising a game in that stadium.. And it'll make a good team WANT to come out there for a game.

That's just not going to happen...it costs too much to rent Reliant Stadium, if the facility is going to be empty. Even if you advertise the crap out of the game, is "Joe Fan" going to pay $20 for on-site parking and at least as much, if not a little less for a ticket.

The SWAC fans here can tell you the cost of renting the facility. They've mentioned it before on here, TSPN, etc.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
That's just not going to happen...it costs too much to rent Reliant Stadium, if the facility is going to be empty. Even if you advertise the crap out of the game, is "Joe Fan" going to pay $20 for on-site parking and at least as much, if not a little less for a ticket.

The SWAC fans here can tell you the cost of renting the facility. They've mentioned it before on here, TSPN, etc.

That's true. I was actually there for last year's labor day classic and i took my family. To say the least, they were not impressed and would not want to go to another game.

Maybe if they scheduled Houston or Rice and hope that their fans fill the seats..

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
That's true. I was actually there for last year's labor day classic and i took my family. To say the least, they were not impressed and would not want to go to another game.

Maybe if they scheduled Houston or Rice and hope that their fans fill the seats..

Rice could not even fill Reliant Stadium when they played Texas. Houston has a hard enough time filling their 32k seat stadium against anyone on a consistent basis.

What did your family not like about the LDC?

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 20th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Rice could not even fill Reliant Stadium when they played Texas. Houston has a hard enough time filling their 32k seat stadium against anyone on a consistent basis.

What did your family not like about the LDC?

They didn't like the atmosphere. I have a wife and 12 y/o daughter. There were alot of females at the game (in the parking lot and ticket booths areas) who were wearing clothes that were very revealing.. It was almost like a concert.. Alot of the males were using foul language.. I was so excited to go to this game because I wanted to show my daughter the battle of the bands and the 'pride' of a HBC.. But what I got was alot of the 'look' from my wife.

We were seated far away from the bands so we couldn't see the excitement of them during the first downs etc.

Most people left after the halftime show. Not much respect was given for the game.

I guess my family thought it would be like the movie 'drumline'.. but it wasnt.

I loved it, i don't mind staring at the women, and i was into the strategy of the game (i enjoyed predicting to my daughter what play TSU was going to run) etc etc but it just wasnt for my family.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 20th, 2009, 04:55 PM
They didn't like the atmosphere. I have a wife and 12 y/o daughter. There were alot of females at the game (in the parking lot and ticket booths areas) who were wearing clothes that were very revealing.. It was almost like a concert.. Alot of the males were using foul language.. I was so excited to go to this game because I wanted to show my daughter the battle of the bands and the 'pride' of a HBC.. But what I got was alot of the 'look' from my wife.

We were seated far away from the bands so we couldn't see the excitement of them during the first downs etc.

Most people left after the halftime show. Not much respect was given for the game.

I guess my family thought it would be like the movie 'drumline'.. but it wasnt.

I loved it, i don't mind staring at the women, and i was into the strategy of the game (i enjoyed predicting to my daughter what play TSU was going to run) etc etc but it just wasnt for my family.
You went to the wrong HBCU game lol. When SU comes to Houston October 10, you should come to the game. SU fans are totally different from tSU or PV fans. SU will bring 15,000 or more( depending on how the season is going).

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hey Panthers - SHSU now has a BYE week on Sept. 19 because we flip-flopped dates with NDSU. With the Angel City Classic now canceled, all we would have to do is buy-out St. Joseph's to get PV back on the schedule.

I'm sure SHSU would prefer to have PV instead of St. Joseph's...but well, I doubt we see SHSU budge unless PV paid for the buyout considering the Kats got put in this predicament by the Panthers...

3rd Coast Tiger
April 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I doubt we see SHSU budge unless PV paid for the buyout considering the Kats got put in this predicament by the Panthers...

xlolx He said... xlolx I can't even get it out xlolx

Native
April 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM
You went to the wrong HBCU game lol. When SU comes to Houston October 10, you should come to the game. SU fans are totally different from tSU or PV fans. SU will bring 15,000 or more( depending on how the season is going).

The Alcorn-Southern game is another great game every year, with a festive atmosphere, lots of tailgating, and of course, a Battle of the Bands!

The Bands never fail to impress!

Sometimes the football is great, too!

I remember the 2006 Alcorn game at PVAMU, televised on ESPNU. We had more fans at my high school eight-man football games!

3rd Coast Tiger
April 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM
I remember the 2006 Alcorn game at PVAMU, televised on ESPNU. We had more fans at my high school eight-man football games!

You're referring to the Thursday night (6:00pm) kickoff game out at the Berry Center. It's virtously impossible to make that kickoff let alone make it to that game because of it's location.

Native
April 21st, 2009, 12:56 PM
You're referring to the Thursday night (6:00pm) kickoff game out at the Berry Center. It's virtously impossible to make that kickoff let alone make it to that game because of it's location.

Yup! That's the one.

What is it - about 10 miles from Prairie View, towards Houston?

Native
April 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM

Despite the low score, it was a pretty good game.

Alcorn led for nearly the whole game, but it stayed close, and the Prairie View offense actually out-gained the Braves by nearly a hundred yards. Nate Hughs' 90-yard punt return for a TD in the fourth quarter made the difference for Alcorn State.

The Tigers came back to score a touchdown and close to within three points, but missed two field goals in the waning minutes to give the victory to Alcorn.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Yup! That's the one.

What is it - about 10 miles from Prairie View, towards Houston?

A little further than 10 miles however you have most of the alumni/fanbase coming from all sides of the Houston metropolitan area and heading 290 West during rush hour is very "unpleasant" for a 6:00pm kickoff.

Panther88
April 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
They didn't like the atmosphere. I have a wife and 12 y/o daughter

Pretty sad isn't it? :(

Panther88
April 21st, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hey Panthers - SHSU now has a BYE week on Sept. 19 because we flip-flopped dates with NDSU. With the Angel City Classic now canceled, all we would have to do is buy-out St. Joseph's to get PV back on the schedule.

I'm sure SHSU would prefer to have PV instead of St. Joseph's...but well, I doubt we see SHSU budge unless PV paid for the buyout considering the Kats got put in this predicament by the Panthers...

TT... I'd really be surprised if PV has any addt'l $$$ to spare. I'd really like to know the wording & terms of the 3-year contract, along w/ amendments coming out of "ike." I seriously wonder if buy-out clauses were indicated. xreadx

I'd really love for PV to get SHSU on the sched for the Blackshear field tilt.