PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Big Sky this year?

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Montana? Eastern Washington? Weber?

Paul

SideLine Shooter
April 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Montana is my guess. xnodx

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Every year we hope that Montana is rebuilding, but no, it is reloading constantly. Expect another 10-win season out of the Griz this year.

Paul

SideLine Shooter
April 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Every year we hope that Montana is rebuilding, but no, it is reloading constantly. Expect another 10-win season out of the Griz this year.

Paul

I agree. Somehow they keep it going.

eagle1
April 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM
1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana
3. Weber
4. Montana State
5. Sacramento State
6. Northern Arizona
7. Portland State
8. Northern Colorado
9. Idaho State

SideLine Shooter
April 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana
3. Weber
4. Montana State
5. Sacramento State
6. Northern Arizona
7. Portland State
8. Northern Colorado
9. Idaho State

xdizzyx

R3TRO
April 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM
1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana
3. Weber
4. Montana State
5. Sacramento State
6. Northern Arizona
7. Portland State
8. Northern Colorado
9. Idaho State

xhomerx

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
NAU at #6? Are you feeling well?

Paul

igo4uni
April 17th, 2009, 10:24 PM
gotta pick Montana.

GOKATS
April 17th, 2009, 10:59 PM
1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana
3. Weber
4. Montana State
5. Sacramento State
6. Northern Arizona
7. Portland State
8. Northern Colorado
9. Idaho State

I'd move NAU to the top five and say any of the top five have a chance. I think it's going to be a helluva battle among those five, but I don't at this time see a real dominate team going in. If anything I'd give the nod to WSU.

achrist70
April 17th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I have to go with Montana.

mvemjsunpx
April 17th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Montana gets Weber & Eastern at home, so they should win it. EWU usually plays well in Missoula, but they only win when they're actually the better team overall, and that doesn't appear to be the case in 2009.

The other 6 teams are just battling for fourth, IMO. Well, except Idaho State I guess; they're battling for anything better than last.

JALMOND
April 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Too early to tell and a lot could change, but it is difficult not to pick the Griz this year. A lot of returning talent including that Drummond Dynamo of a running back, strong recruiting class and a favorable schedule. Objectively, how can a person not pick the Griz.

GOKATS
April 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Too early to tell and a lot could change, but it is difficult not to pick the Griz this year. A lot of returning talent including that Drummond Dynamo of a running back, strong recruiting class and a favorable schedule. Objectively, how can a person not pick the Griz.

The biggest if with the griz is the QB. Selle has limited experience and Larsen has none. I'm not saying they won't have one step and do a fine job, but for now it's an unknown.

Lumberjacks76
April 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
The Griz have a great coaching staff and can do well with marginal talent at the ends and good talent in the LB core.

Paul

NoCoDanny
April 18th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Montana will be first, we will be last, the rest flip a coin.

ncbears
April 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Montana will be first, we will be last, the rest flip a coin.

I don't think we'll be last. I think we will be in the middle of the pack. I think UM or Weber will take the crown though.

Gil Dobie
April 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Montana all the time
Second place, or sharing the title with Montana should be the question. xeyebrowx

CrunchGriz
April 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM
The Griz have a great coaching staff and can do well with marginal talent at the ends and good talent in the LB core.

Paul

I hope you're not talking about this season's Griz team--otherwise you're calling probable preseason All-American Marc Mariani "marginal", which would be beyond idiotic.

already123
April 18th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I say NAU at 6 is fair. I would venture to say that anywhere from 4-6 is accurate at this point. We will have to see how the QB, OL, and Secondary plays in spring practice but that is my vote for now.

I will say that UNC will not finish last...I have not checked their schule, but 3+ wins sounds about right considering what I saw from last year.

Montana will win the Conf, Weber will lose 2 conf games, I like EWU's chances this year too...

ChickenMan
April 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Since Montana has won or shared the title for 11 consecutive years.. I'll take a wild guess and say.... the Griz.

Proud Griz Man
April 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Since Montana has won or shared the title for 11 consecutive years.. I'll take a wild guess and say.... the Griz.

Admit it, you're biased. You Griz homer! xlolx

Ronbo
April 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I hope you're not talking about this season's Griz team--otherwise you're calling probable preseason All-American Marc Mariani "marginal", which would be beyond idiotic.

I think he was talking DE where we have a returning starter (8 1/2 sacks in 2008) and a big recruit coming in from the JC ranks, 6'3" 260 lb Bobby Alt, 87 tackles, 22 sacks for the National JC runnerup Mt. San Antonio. Bobby has the potential to be a 1st team Big Sky his Soph year at Montana. Very highly prized recruit, one that Hauck didn't think we would get.

Native
April 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM

As already noted, I think he was talking about the defense, Crunch. xeyebrowx

Geeez take the compliment on the coaching staff! xnodx

Native
April 19th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Gee thanks for the "...or shared..." disclaimer, ChickenMan! xsmiley_wix

Native
April 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Paul

Agreed. Even with Weber's outstanding performance last year and the slew of returning Wildcat starters, Montana is still the team to beat. xbowx

The Big Sky will be competitive, though. It seems like the top will be a little more crowded this year. xcoffeex

CrunchGriz
April 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
As already noted, I think he was talking about the defense, Crunch. xeyebrowx

Geeez take the compliment on the coaching staff! xnodx

If, indeed, he was talking about the defensive ends, then he was probably not that far off. There was quite a dropoff in production at that position last year after the graduation of Kroy Biermann.

Don't count on it being a "marginal" position for long, though. Montana has a history of great D ends (Biermann, Petek, Pitcher, Murphy, et al.), and Mr. Palmer and Mr. Fetherston, not to mention the aforementioned Mr. Alt, will make it a strength again this year, I'm betting.

mtgrizfan4life
April 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Our DE's will be great this year. I am surprised more people are not mentioning Severin Campbell. He is fast, around 4.5 speed. In limited snaps the last few years he was always applying pressure or on the ball. He continued that this spring too. The GRIZ have 4 very good DE's, and Alt has the size to be effective against the run too.

The biggest key to the GRIZ D this year will be a healthy Carson Bender at DT. He is a DT with speed of DE or LB. If he stays healthy this year, FCS football will know who he is this year! I have no worries at LB or DB.

Offensively the key will be our OL coming together to help whoever the new starting qb is. I personally feel Larson would be the better fit with our OL this year. Then again, if I had my way, I would put Gerald Kemp out there from the get go. I have a feeling he will have to bide his time for 2 years though.

As for the conference this year, GRIZ and WSU will be top 2, ISU will be last. Take your pick for middle of the pack. My surprise team this year is Northern Colorado.

ncbears
April 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Our DE's will be great this year. I am surprised more people are not mentioning Severin Campbell. He is fast, around 4.5 speed. In limited snaps the last few years he was always applying pressure or on the ball. He continued that this spring too. The GRIZ have 4 very good DE's, and Alt has the size to be effective against the run too.

The biggest key to the GRIZ D this year will be a healthy Carson Bender at DT. He is a DT with speed of DE or LB. If he stays healthy this year, FCS football will know who he is this year! I have no worries at LB or DB.

Offensively the key will be our OL coming together to help whoever the new starting qb is. I personally feel Larson would be the better fit with our OL this year. Then again, if I had my way, I would put Gerald Kemp out there from the get go. I have a feeling he will have to bide his time for 2 years though.

As for the conference this year, GRIZ and WSU will be top 2, ISU will be last. Take your pick for middle of the pack. My surprise team this year is Northern Colorado.

Thanks for the props!

We lost 5 games by 7 points or less last season.

Native
April 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the props!

We lost 5 games by 7 points or less last season.

UNC was one of Weber State's toughest games in 2008!

hawkssb04
April 20th, 2009, 01:12 AM
UNC was one of Weber State's toughest games in 2008!

Haha. Tough on themselves that is. They moved the ball at-will on the Bears only to turn the ball over in the red-zone four freaking times. xoopsx
As far as 2009 goes, 11 straight Big Sky titles is hard to top. You can't beat history, even though WSU is returning one of the top offenses in the country. Montana having Eastern Washington and WSU at home should give them the edge, but anything can happen I suppose. Even with Nichols, the Eagles are easily the most overrated team heading into 09. Watch out for the Bears and NAU to give teams trouble though.

1. Montana
2. Weber State
3. Northern Arizona
4. Eastern Washington
5. Montana State
6. Northern Colorado
7. Sacramento State
8. Portland State
9. Idaho State

CopperCat
April 20th, 2009, 08:32 AM
1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana
3. Weber
4. Montana State
5. Sacramento State
6. Northern Arizona
7. Portland State
8. Northern Colorado
9. Idaho State

EWU at the top after being smacked by the NCAA and losing some vital talent on offense will NOT help EWUs case at all. I don't know what you're smoking, but its strong whatever it is. EWU should finish around 4th or 5th at best this season unless they really dig deep and somehow put a run together.

Lumberjacks76
April 20th, 2009, 12:19 PM
How about Montana State?

Paul

GOKATS
April 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
How about Montana State?

Paul

My guess is the Bobcats will finish in the top three or four, but I think the conference is going be real tough this year. The Cats just finished up spring ball on Sat. with several key players out with injuries, recovering from surgery, etc. particularly skill players on offense. The 'D' will be damn tough, maybe the best in the conference. The 'O' is struggling but we'll have last years starting QB, some key WR's, RB's, etc. back for summer/fall ball so I'm pretty confident they'll be alright. If the 'O' starts clicking I'd say the Cats could finish anywhere from first to third.

eagle1
April 20th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I am very optimistic about EWU and I think that they will challenge for the conference championship. What talent on offense did we lose? We lost a starting center and an injury prone runningback. Everyone thinks that the post season ban is going to make EWU tank the season and instead they are using it as motivation. I think 4th or 5th is too low and with Nichols leading the offense they feel like they have something to prove. Go Eagles!!!

Lumberjacks76
April 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I was unaware that EWU has a ban on post season play. How did this come about, and how long are they banned for? Just this season?

Paul

griz8791
April 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
. . . How did this come about . . .

Hypocrisy, scapegoating, and shameless application of double standards.

Native
April 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hypocrisy, scapegoating, and shameless application of double standards.

...double standards? ... hypocrisy? ...in the NCAA?!??? xeekx

I have heard that actual gambling goes on in Las Vegas. xoopsx xrolleyesx

You seem to have good sources, Griz... Could you also confirm the gambling rumor? xeyebrowx

eagle1
April 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
An assistant coach worked some non-qualifiers out off to the side during practice. Sounds minor but they did this for a period of about 4-5 years. At no time did the non-qualifiers ever get into the actual practice with the rest of the team. Go Eagles!!!

Native
April 20th, 2009, 05:50 PM
An assistant coach worked some non-qualifiers out off to the side during practice. Sounds minor but they did this for a period of about 4-5 years. At no time did the non-qualifiers ever get into the actual practice with the rest of the team. Go Eagles!!!

...just in case you missed my sarcasm, Eagle1, I was picking on the NCAA and not EWU.

Lumberjacks76
April 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM
So is EWU truly banned from post season play? Or is that just a rumor?

Paul

Casey_Orourke
April 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Haha. Tough on themselves that is. They moved the ball at-will on the Bears only to turn the ball over in the red-zone four freaking times. xoopsx
As far as 2009 goes, 11 straight Big Sky titles is hard to top. You can't beat history, even though WSU is returning one of the top offenses in the country. Montana having Eastern Washington and WSU at home should give them the edge, but anything can happen I suppose. Even with Nichols, the Eagles are easily the most overrated team heading into 09. Watch out for the Bears and NAU to give teams trouble though.

1. Montana
2. Weber State
3. Northern Arizona
4. Eastern Washington
5. Montana State
6. Northern Colorado
7. Sacramento State
8. Portland State
9. Idaho State

I am hoping Portland State does better than 8th this year. Evidently this season Jerry is introducing the drills and training regiem he used when he was with the Oilers because now he has enough depth in the line that injuries are not as devestating as they have been in years past.

Glanville says roster is ready for 'a totally different spring' (http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2009/04/glanville_says_roster_is_ready.html)

This year I will be happy with 4th place, but 5th would be a move in the right direction.

Lumberjacks76
April 21st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Portland State should win 6 games this year. They look to be improved.

Paul

GOKATS
April 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
So is EWU truly banned from post season play? Or is that just a rumor?

Paul

They are banned. Whether or not they are appealing that decision I don't know. As I recall EWU self reported the recruiting/coaching violations which might help in their favor.

Lumberjacks76
April 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
That's too bad for EWU. They could really do well this year, even make the playoffs. But the ban prevents them from doing so. Was it recruiting violations?

Paul

GOKATS
April 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
That's too bad for EWU. They could really do well this year, even make the playoffs. But the ban prevents them from doing so. Was it recruiting violations?

Paul

I'm sure one of the Eagle posters knows better than I, but as I recall it was a combination of recruiting violations coupled with having one too many coaches.

Native
April 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM
I'm sure one of the Eagle posters knows better than I, but as I recall it was a combination of recruiting violations coupled with having one too many coaches.

I didn't know you could have too many coaches!

griz8791
April 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
...just in case you missed my sarcasm, Eagle1, I was picking on the NCAA and not EWU.

+1.

P.S. Been to Vegas. Gambling rumor confirmed. xpeacex

Lumberjacks76
April 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
EWU will be missed come playoff time.

Paul

eagle1
April 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
EWU committed NO recruiting violations. As I mentioned earlier in this thread it was non-practice workouts with non-qualifiers and more than the allowed 11 coaches over a 4-5 year period. EWU has appealed the post-season ban and hopefully since EWU reported the violations and self imposed scholarship reductions and allowable coaches to 9 that it will be over turned if not then they will just have to spoil everyone elses fun. Go Eagles!!!

appmaj
April 21st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Montana

Lumberjacks76
April 21st, 2009, 05:57 PM
Weber State should be good, too.

Paul

Native
April 22nd, 2009, 10:51 PM

Maybe not just a coincidence or Weber mistakes. The Bear defense averaged nearly two turnovers per game. Too bad their offense was nearly as bad at coughing up turnovers as the defense was in gathering up turnovers.

catbob
April 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Gotta like UM even with questions at QB. Weber returns a lot of key players and should be hungry to advance further and return to the playoffs.

As for my Bobcats, if we can improve our passing game and even come close to Crawford's numbers last year at RB, we could be a contender. So far nothing this spring has indicated to me our passing game will be better, unfortunately. We did have our top three receivers out for the spring game, so that may have an impact in the fall.

Native
April 23rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Gotta like UM even with questions at QB. Weber returns a lot of key players and should be hungry to advance further and return to the playoffs.

As for my Bobcats, if we can improve our passing game and even come close to Crawford's numbers last year at RB, we could be a contender. So far nothing this spring has indicated to me our passing game will be better, unfortunately. We did have our top three receivers out for the spring game, so that may have an impact in the fall.

Hey, Catbob, who is coming back on defense for Montana State? Will the MSU "D" be as good as last year?

bpcats
April 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
The defense should be as good if not better this year. The biggest questions mark will come from replacing last years corner Ramone Lewis with freshmen James Andrews or Zach Coleman. Lewis was a very physical corner and 2nd team all conference cb. Andrews has more athletic ability and size but Coleman is more instinctive and understands the schemes better.

Cory Nicol (a transfer from Washington) will man the opposite corner and is a very good corner. All of our safeties return. Retoriano was named to 1st team all conference

Clay Bignell who sub'd for Bobby Daly at MLB will be taking over and has had a great spring. Daly was a special player but Bignell is no slouch either. Gazzero and Price are returning starters with Jody Owens (FR) substituting who bring a lot of speed to the position.

On the D-line, Dane Fletcher returns and should be a Buck Buchannon award candidate if he can stay healthy. He is a pure game changer, against NAU he had like 2 sacks, a blocked punt and a blocked FG try. Opposite him will be Brad Daly who will be a sophomore is almost as good as Fletcher. Our dline as a whole was beat up most of last year so we ended up playing a ton of freshmen and sophomores and they didn't miss a beat. At the nose tackle positions Dan Ogden returns and if he can stay healthy is very quick and fun to watch.

We do lose Kolone at the other dtackle position, but Jason D'Alba a transfer from Drake appears to be just as good. Our dline is built more on quickness with each lineman weighing around 260-280lbs. We have a lot of depth and incoming freshman Kelli'i from Hawaii should be in the rotation (Baylor recruit that was dropped in favor of a local Texas kid) is big and strong (290lbs, 27 reps of 225).

Overall we are very deep and solid in front seven and should lead the league in sacks. Our corner play opposite Nicol will be a big key.

Last year we averaged 3-4 turnovers a game and our defense would wear down. If our offense can cut down on those mistakes and move the ball, we will be a tough out.

Lumberjacks76
April 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Portland State might finish with 7 wins this season if every goes right.

Paul

CrazyCat
April 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
The defense should be as good if not better this year. The biggest questions mark will come from replacing last years corner Ramone Lewis with freshmen James Andrews or Zach Coleman. Lewis was a very physical corner and 2nd team all conference cb. Andrews has more athletic ability and size but Coleman is more instinctive and understands the schemes better.

Cory Nicol (a transfer from Washington) will man the opposite corner and is a very good corner. All of our safeties return. Retoriano was named to 1st team all conference

Clay Bignell who sub'd for Bobby Daly at MLB will be taking over and has had a great spring. Daly was a special player but Bignell is no slouch either. Gazzero and Price are returning starters with Jody Owens (FR) substituting who bring a lot of speed to the position.

On the D-line, Dane Fletcher returns and should be a Buck Buchannon award candidate if he can stay healthy. He is a pure game changer, against NAU he had like 2 sacks, a blocked punt and a blocked FG try. Opposite him will be Brad Daly who will be a sophomore is almost as good as Fletcher. Our dline as a whole was beat up most of last year so we ended up playing a ton of freshmen and sophomores and they didn't miss a beat. At the nose tackle positions Dan Ogden returns and if he can stay healthy is very quick and fun to watch.

We do lose Kolone at the other dtackle position, but Jason D'Alba a transfer from Drake appears to be just as good. Our dline is built more on quickness with each lineman weighing around 260-280lbs. We have a lot of depth and incoming freshman Kelli'i from Hawaii should be in the rotation (Baylor recruit that was dropped in favor of a local Texas kid) is big and strong (290lbs, 27 reps of 225).

Overall we are very deep and solid in front seven and should lead the league in sacks. Our corner play opposite Nicol will be a big key.

Last year we averaged 3-4 turnovers a game and our defense would wear down. If our offense can cut down on those mistakes and move the ball, we will be a tough out.

It's Brad Smith that will be at the other end.

technocat
April 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
It's Brad Smith that will be at the other end.

I think you have to mention Laidet, O'Connel and the other home grown kid, DeJong, at DE. Should be our strongest position, all these guys get after the ball and have the speed to make a difference. Only question is whether we are heavy enough to stop the run.

Lumberjacks76
April 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
NAU's defense should be much improved this season. Expect several close games either way.

Paul

Native
April 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
I'd move NAU to the top five and say any of the top five have a chance. I think it's going to be a helluva battle among those five, but I don't at this time see a real dominate team going in. If anything I'd give the nod to WSU.

GoKats:

I agree with you that Northern Arizona might belong in the top five for 2009, but so far there is not enough data to make an informed decision. Coach Jerry Souers has led the team to some outstanding accomplishments, and lots of potential has been demonstrated in recent years, but the Jacks seem to falter before getting to the altar. The WSU and MSU games are cases in point.

Since no one from NAU has contributed any useful information or analysis, I thought I would throw out a few tidbits for Big Sky and FCS fans to consider:

The Lumberjacks bring back a handful of All-Conference performers from 2008, including a pair of wide receivers, an offensive guard, a return specialist, and a tight end on offense. The most notable is probably WR Conrad Meadows, who snagged 40 receptions in 2008 for 499 yards and 4 TDs, and added another 608 yards on punt and kick returns. QB Michael Herrick also returns. Herrick did not have the mobility of graduating starter Lance Kriesen, but he completed 97 of 150 passes (64.7%) for 1043 yards and three TDs, with 6 INTs.

Freshman running back sensation and last year's Big Sky Newcomer of the Year, Deonte Williams, does not show up on the roster or in the prospectus, however. Maybe a Lumberjack fan can do some research and feed us the straight skinny.

If Williams is gone, it will be a big loss for Northern Arizona. Deonte averaged 4.3 on 220 carries in 2008 to finish 5th in BSC rushing stats, just behind Chase Reynolds at #4.

Punter and All-Conference kicker Robbit Dehaze will be gone, and his shoes will be very hard to fill! He was #1 in 2008 regular season kick-scoring with 82 points, #1 in FG% with 80%, #1 in field goals with 16, #1 in punting with a 45.2 yard average, and #1 in kickoff touchbacks with 26. His booming kickoffs also led the Lumberjacks to the second best kickoff coverage in the conference. xbowx

On the defense, the Lumberjacks lose K.J. Gerard from the defensive backfield. Gerard led the Big Sky in passes defended last year, with 9 pass breakups and 5 interceptions. But they apparently bring back a number of starting defenders, including all-conference performers at DE, OLB, ILB and special teams.

A good portion of the NAU recruit class of 2009 seems to be in-state, for which the jury is still out. But Souers seems to have hit the jackpot with a half dozen mid-year JC transfers, mostly all-conference and one JC Gridwire All-American, linebacker Reid Worthington (6-0, 220), who ranked 15th in the California Community Colleges with a team-best 83 tackles on the season, recorded 12 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 2 FR, 1 INT and 1 FF to help Fullerton to a conference championship.

http://nau.newtier.com/index.php?module=pnNews&tid=18&sid=2763

The final Northern Arizona spring scrimmage is this Saturday the 25th. Maybe we'll have more news then.

Lumberjacks76
April 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
NAU should be good this year. 7-4 or better. We have the moxy to compete, along with our vaunted defense.

Paul

GOKATS
April 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
GoKats:

I agree with you that Northern Arizona might belong in the top five for 2009, but so far there is not enough data to make an informed decision. Coach Jerry Souers has led the team to some outstanding accomplishments, and lots of potential has been demonstrated in recent years, but the Jacks seem to falter before getting to the altar. The WSU and MSU games are cases in point.

Since no one from NAU has contributed any useful information or analysis, I thought I would throw out a few tidbits for Big Sky and FCS fans to consider:

The Lumberjacks bring back a handful of All-Conference performers from 2008, including a pair of wide receivers, an offensive guard, a return specialist, and a tight end on offense. The most notable is probably WR Conrad Meadows, who snagged 40 receptions in 2008 for 499 yards and 4 TDs, and added another 608 yards on punt and kick returns. QB Michael Herrick also returns. Herrick did not have the mobility of graduating starter Lance Kriesen, but he completed 97 of 150 passes (64.7%) for 1043 yards and three TDs, with 6 INTs.

Freshman running back sensation and last year's Big Sky Newcomer of the Year, Deonte Williams, does not show up on the roster or in the prospectus, however. Maybe a Lumberjack fan can do some research and feed us the straight skinny.

If Williams is gone, it will be a big loss for Northern Arizona. Deonte averaged 4.3 on 220 carries in 2008 to finish 5th in BSC rushing stats, just behind Chase Reynolds at #4.

Punter and All-Conference kicker Robbit Dehaze will be gone, and his shoes will be very hard to fill! He was #1 in 2008 regular season kick-scoring with 82 points, #1 in FG% with 80%, #1 in field goals with 16, #1 in punting with a 45.2 yard average, and #1 in kickoff touchbacks with 26. His booming kickoffs also led the Lumberjacks to the second best kickoff coverage in the conference. xbowx

On the defense, the Lumberjacks lose K.J. Gerard from the defensive backfield. Gerard led the Big Sky in passes defended last year, with 9 pass breakups and 5 interceptions. But they apparently bring back a number of starting defenders, including all-conference performers at DE, OLB, ILB and special teams.

A good portion of the NAU recruit class of 2009 seems to be in-state, for which the jury is still out. But Souers seems to have hit the jackpot with a half dozen mid-year JC transfers, mostly all-conference and one JC Gridwire All-American, linebacker Reid Worthington (6-0, 220), who ranked 15th in the California Community Colleges with a team-best 83 tackles on the season, recorded 12 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 2 FR, 1 INT and 1 FF to help Fullerton to a conference championship.

http://nau.newtier.com/index.php?module=pnNews&tid=18&sid=2763

The final Northern Arizona spring scrimmage is this Saturday the 25th. Maybe we'll have more news then.

A couple rumors have said that NAU is looking at hiring former MSU HC Mike Kramer as DC but there are some hiring freezes in the AZ schools right now. It sounds like AZ is the same as MT as far as fiscal years go, so maybe he'll get hired after July 1. Kramer is a great coach and would be a good addition to the NAU coaching staff if it works out.

already123
April 23rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Kramer at NAU seems like a great fit. Ive always wondered about what he has been up to.

I hope NAU can overcome their schedule this year. 2 Bowl-winning FCS school along with an up and coming SUU will be challenging. Playoffs are the goal this year thanks to EWU flub-ups

carney2
April 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Montana will win - as always.

Montana will max out on home playoff games so that the NCAA can max out on ticket sales.

The Big Sky is just plain same old, same old boring.

It's no wonder that we back here in east coast bias land pay absolutely no attention to what goes on out there.

I Bleed Purple
April 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM
"NAU" and "vaunted defense" in the same sentence always makes me laugh.

Someone needs to dig up that thread.

Native
April 25th, 2009, 04:08 PM
"NAU" and "vaunted defense" in the same sentence always makes me laugh.

Someone needs to dig up that thread.

xlolx ...well, the NAU defense didn't perform well against Weber State last year. I remember the visiting crowd chanting, "and that's another Lumberjack ... FOURTH DOWN!"

But overall, Northern Arizona was third in the Big Sky in scoring defense in 2008, and led the conference in rushing defense by a large margin, allowing only 59.8 yards per game. Montana State was second at 88.8 YPG.

In conference-only games, the Jacks ranked second in rushing defense at 74.6 yards per game, only a couple of yards per game behind MSU at 72.0.

Keeper
April 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Re: Deonte Williams - NAU,
according to ISUBengalBlog
Williams transferred out of NAU but doesn't say where to.
Big loss.

GOKATS
April 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Montana will max out on home playoff games so that the NCAA can max out on ticket sales.

It's no wonder that we back here in east coast bias land pay absolutely no attention to what goes on out there.

I hope you're not so delusional that you think we give a ***** about the east coast- it works both ways.xnodx

Green Laser
April 25th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Re: Deonte Williams - NAU,
according to ISUBengalBlog
Williams transferred out of NAU but doesn't say where to.
Big loss.

If this is true he should come home and play for Sac State, he would look great in green and gold! He is one of the local kids that got away.

uofmman1122
April 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
But overall, Northern Arizona was third in the Big Sky in scoring defense in 2008, and led the conference in rushing defense by a large margin, allowing only 59.8 yards per game. Montana State was second at 88.8 YPG.Would have been a lot better, had they not allowed 223 yards against us, and 194 yards against Montana State.

JALMOND
April 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Here's a quick synopsis of what I'm working with so far on this. I'm still holding out for August for it to be official but so far, I've got...

1. Montana---Selle looked fine in backup roles for Berquist last year and the Griz return a lot. Last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year and they ended up in the NC game. Their toughest games will be Weber at home and the Cats in Bozeman.

2. Weber State---Wildcats do not lose too much, but playing in the regular season at Missoula will hurt. Toughest non-conference game may be Cal Poly, even with Wyoming and Colorado State on the schedule.

3. Montana State---Cats have stockpiled quite a roster, but can they overcome the Griz and Wildcats. Time will tell.

4. Northern Arizona---When the cupboard looks bare, the Jacks still seem to claw their way to the top 4 of the conference. Great place to start.

5. Sacramento State---Surprise team of the year. The Hornets have some great returnees, but can they get over the hump in a very competitive conference this year.

6. Eastern Washington---Eagles on probation could make for a long year. Biggest question mark in the conference.

7. Portland State---Vikings have improved quite a bit from last year. The problem is, so has everyone else. Talk is that the Vikings may have the most improved team in the conference, but they still will need to win at Montana to show that.

8. Northern Colorado---Bears showed last year that they can play anyone close in the conference. Now they have to show they can win.

9. Idaho State---Bengals, like everyone in the conference, have improved greatly. However they still may not get out of the basement. Not a pushover this year, but maybe still a year or two away.

already123
April 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM
how does nau lose thier leading rusher through transfer?
Wow

Screamin_Eagle174
April 27th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Meanwhile, back on the West Coast, there are people whose opinions matter. xcoffeex

Lumberjacks76
April 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
NAU faces quality teams this season. Ole Miss and Arizona, along with a great Big Sky conference slate.

Paul

rancher griz
April 28th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Griz's season will depend on our QB play. Jeff Larson could steal the job from Selle. He looked like the more complete quarterback this spring. Our defense is fast, but I'm concerned about our size up front. The OL will have to replace Dow and Quinn, but should be a strength again. The secondary is the best we've had in a long time, even without Anderson. Our best offensive skill players from last year are back in Reynods at RB and Mariani at WR.

Weber and MSU should both be tough.

Lumberjacks76
April 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I think Weber will fall back to Earth and finish 5-6 or 6-5. Same with MSU.

Paul

Canyoncat
April 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I think Weber will fall back to Earth and finish 5-6 or 6-5. Same with MSU.

Paul

You might be right in regards to MSU. For us, it depends on the QB play and if the WR's stay healthy. We don't have that dynamic runner like Crawford this year, but we do have some very good talent at RB. However, if the passing game doesn't improve, we may be in for a long year. Weber will contend for the title again. The wild card might be EWU. They will be playing with a huge chip on their shoulder since they are band from the playoffs this year.

Native
April 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM

2. Weber State---Wildcats do not lose too much, but playing in the regular season at Missoula will hurt. Toughest non-conference game may be Cal Poly, even with Wyoming and Colorado State on the schedule.

... Interesting observation. Coach Mac thought that Cal Poly was the best team we played last year. ;)

Lumberjacks76
April 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Cal Poly is a good opponent. I'd like to see more rivalries between Cal Poly and the Big Sky.

Paul

UNCBears2010
April 28th, 2009, 04:02 PM
UNC shocks the world and wins the whole damn thing!

No, I'm kidding. But we could have some wins this year, as in more than one. I won't even believe that until I see it, though.

Native
April 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM

No, I'm kidding. But we could have some wins this year, as in more than one. I won't even believe that until I see it, though.

Good luck. xthumbsupx

Coach Mac complimented your "young players" in his spring football press conference a couple of weeks ago. xnodx

Lumberjacks76
April 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM
3-8 for UNC is possible. 4-7 is probable. 5-6 is unlikely. 6-5 if things really work.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM

UNC will win 3 games this year.

Paul

Tailbone
April 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Why don't these Montana cowards take there open date and play up? Western State, come on.

Montana will play anyone (USC?) willing to come to Montana to play.

......for the Bazillionth time........it's about the INCOME ($) produced by home games.

Call the UM AD, Perhaps he'll schedule the Rhodie's, kick their *ss, and give 'em a nice check to boot!

Once again, It's not about "balls" it's about "bills".

Lumberjacks76
April 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM
The only way a USC or UCLA will ever be willing to go to an FBS school for a game is if the FCS paid them. Sad, but true.

Paul

Casey_Orourke
April 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Montana will play anyone (USC?) willing to come to Montana to play.

......for the Bazillionth time........it's about the INCOME ($) produced by home games.

Call the UM AD, Perhaps he'll schedule the Rhodie's, kick their *ss, and give 'em a nice check to boot!

Once again, It's not about "balls" it's about "bills".

So it's all about Montatna's income and the rest of the FCS don't have the right to make a profit? And like USC is actually going to travel to a backwoods venue like Missoula? xlolxxlolxxlolx

There plenty programs with the BALLS, would jump at the chance tp play Montana and probably have a good chance to instead kick your A$$.

But why should they pony up the money to fly into Missoula when Montana seems to be reluctant do the same to come to their venue. If Montana wants to have good opponents then they have to be willing to spend some capital to earn some good will among the FCs and get some decent games.

The Cal Poly deal was a step in the right direction, but Montana still got the better end of the deal where home games are concerned.

Until then the best Montana's going to get are the "Sisters of the Poor University" and the "Brothers of the Blind State College" for home games to pad their schedule have an extra scrimmage or two before they start conference play.

mvemjsunpx
April 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Why don't these Montana cowards take there open date and play up? Western State, come on.

They will when you graduate 3rd. grade spelling.

gbhmt
April 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM
So it's all about Montatna's income and the rest of the FCS don't have the right to make a profit? And like USC is actually going to travel to a backwoods venue like Missoula? xlolxxlolxxlolx

There plenty programs with the BALLS, would jump at the chance tp play Montana and probably have a good chance to instead kick your A$$.

But why should they pony up the money to fly into Missoula when Montana seems to be reluctant do the same to come to their venue. If Montana wants to have good opponents then they have to be willing to spend some capital to earn some good will among the FCs and get some decent games.

The Cal Poly deal was a step in the right direction, but Montana still got the better end of the deal where home games are concerned.

Until then the best Montana's going to get are the "Sisters of the Poor University" and the "Brothers of the Blind State College" for home games to pad their schedule have an extra scrimmage or two before they start conference play.

They did a multiple-year deal with CP. They played at CP last year, so it's the Griz's turn for a home game.

mvemjsunpx
April 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM

What's this idiotic crap about "balls"? Who the hell schedules based on "balls"? Only an idiot would schedule based on that. The primary purpose of college athletics is to make money for the university. A successful college football program is one that makes a lot of money. The Griz football program makes a lot of money and it doesn't need paycheck games to do that anymore, either. UM could do a home & home with a big name back east like App or something, but the travel costs would be quite prohibitive and everyone seems reluctant to do it, especially since it potentially makes the playoff road tougher for the teams involved (one gets a guaranteed loss).

Montana did travel back east for non-conf. games in the early part of the decade. The result was a $1 million deficit.

mvemjsunpx
April 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I make more money in my sleep than you ever will pal.

And that's relevant to what exactly? It seems you have some real inferiority complex issues given your out-of-nowhere, unconstructive attack on Montana's schedule and your completely irrelevant need to brag about your alleged massive salary. If you're upset about Rhode Island football's perennial bottom-dweller status, I'm sure there are more effective ways of dealing with it than slamming programs that actually do things right.

Lumberjacks76
April 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM
What did EWU do to get banned from the post season?

Paul

mvemjsunpx
April 29th, 2009, 09:25 PM
What did EWU do to get banned from the post season?

Paul

A whole slew of lack of institutional control issues under Paul Wulff: too many coaches, improper use of academic non-qualifiers, lack of monitoring by the coach, etc. It sounds like it was largely due to all the turnover in EWU's athletic department at the time.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4211197

They are appealing, though, and should learn their fate shortly before the 2009 playoffs.

Casey_Orourke
April 29th, 2009, 09:47 PM
What's this idiotic crap about "balls"? Who the hell schedules based on "balls"? Only an idiot would schedule based on that. The primary purpose of college athletics is to make money for the university. A successful college football program is one that makes a lot of money. The Griz football program makes a lot of money and it doesn't need paycheck games to do that anymore, either. UM could do a home & home with a big name back east like App or something, but the travel costs would be quite prohibitive and everyone seems reluctant to do it, especially since it potentially makes the playoff road tougher for the teams involved (one gets a guaranteed loss).

Montana did travel back east for non-conf. games in the early part of the decade. The result was a $1 million deficit.

The guy I cited in my post said it was "bills not balls" so that is why I used it.

Now, I never said anything about paycheck games.

My point is that if it is so cost prohibitive for Montana to travel to say Boone, NC to play Appalachian State, Richmond , VA to play the Spiders, San Antonio to play UTSA once they get their program started or Washington DC to play Georgetown, what makes you think that travel costs would be any less for these schools to come to Missoula, in fact their costs would be even higher since terminal at Missoula "International" leaves a lot to be desired and they would have to be bussed in.

One game a season back east would hardly kill your budget if the rest of your home games are as luctative as you claim they are, but instead you schedule games with schools that are hardly a threat.

But since Montana is reluctant to schedule real out of conference compitition, they instead schedule schedule schools that are nowhere up to their level and then expect the rest of the FCS to have any respect for their program. Now as far as losses in the regular season hurting your playoff chances, Richmond loss three games last year and still whipped your butts in the NATIONAL TITLE GAME, so forget that argument.

Native
April 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM
The guy I cited in my post said it was "bills not balls" so that is why I used it.

Now, I never said anything about paycheck games.

My point is that if it is so cost prohibitive for Montana to travel to say Boone, NC to play Appalachian State, Richmond , VA to play the Spiders, San Antonio to play UTSA once they get their program started or Washington DC to play Georgetown, what makes you think that travel costs would be any less for these schools to come to Missoula, in fact their costs would be even higher since terminal at Missoula "International" leaves a lot to be desired and they would have to be bussed in.

One game a season back east would hardly kill your budget if the rest of your home games are as luctative as you claim they are, but instead you schedule games with schools that are hardly a threat.

But since Montana is reluctant to schedule real out of conference compitition, they instead schedule schedule schools that are nowhere up to their level and then expect the rest of the FCS to have any respect for their program. Now as far as losses in the regular season hurting your playoff chances, Richmond loss three games last year and still whipped your butts in the NATIONAL TITLE GAME, so forget that argument.

I don't blame programs for optimizing their schedules for both budget and playoff calculations. Montana gets the requisite number of quality wins every year, and no one can critique their playoff performance.

Montana does a great job as do so many of the eastern schools.

What I would like to see is a seeded playoff bracket to allow teams the chance to get out of their regions in the earlier rounds.

mvemjsunpx
April 29th, 2009, 11:48 PM

Sorry, the "balls" criticism wasn't just directed at you, it was directed at all those people who seems to think that tougher schedules are always better and that wanting to play as many tough teams as possible is always the best way. I should have been more clear that I wasn't singling you out there.

Um, when did I say that I thought those travel costs would be less for the opponents? xeyebrowx. The difference is that Montana makes a lot more off the home games than any other FCS team. UM could probably offer a decent payout to App or whoever, jack up the ticket prices, and still make a lot because it's a marquee game. I don't think App, etc., could do the same because they just don't make enough money to offer a worthwhile payout. In other words, Montana can make it worthwhile to App, but App probably can't make it worthwhile for Montana unless they offer a 2 for 1 thing.

A "step in the right direction"? What does that mean, exactly? Montana has played Cal Poly most every year since the mid-'90s, so how did that deal really change anything? It's not like the Griz were playing CP in SLO a lot more in the past compared to now. 2008 was only the third road game with them since CP moved up from DII in the early '90s (the other two being '99 & '01). Four of the last five meetings have been in Missoula, but four of the first five meetings since 1990 were in Missoula, too ('94, '96, '98, '00).

Yes, Montana did get more home games out of the deal. That's the way things work in football; bigger, richer programs get more home games. The big programs get more money out of their home games, so they play more. The small programs get better payouts by playing the big programs on the road than they would playing a home game, so they play the bigger boys on the road. That's just they way it is.

But since Montana is reluctant to schedule real out of conference compitition, they instead schedule schedule schools that are nowhere up to their level and then expect the rest of the FCS to have any respect for their program.

OK, who did UM schedule that's nowhere near their level? Western State… that's it. And most FCS schools schedule DIIs, so why does that stick out so much to you? UM's other 2 non-conf. opponents are Cal Poly & UC Davis, which are good & solid programs respectively; both better than your Portland State Vikings the last couple of years.

There was only one Griz team this decade that played a noticeably weak non-conference schedule, and that was the 2007 team. That's it. You'd have to go back to the Read years to find consistently weak non-conference schedules.

FCS Go!
April 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I love these "Montana is scared to play good teams" arguments! xlolx

I've always wondered why all the manly, large-penised programs back east/south don't ever man-up and take a $200,000 hit to come to Missoula for an OOC game. You would think these programs, whose only thought is to challenge their team's fortitude (costs be damned!), would love a shot at the sleepy, early season Griz. Oh well.

uofmman1122
April 30th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Don't often see this as much anymore, especially from schools not named Montana State, but there sure is a lot of Griz Envy going on in this thread. xwhistlex xpeacex

Lumberjacks76
April 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Sometimes Griz fans outnumber NAU fans in the Skydome. Sad, but true.

Paul

Syntax Error
April 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Don't often see this as much anymore, especially from schools not named Montana State, but there sure is a lot of Griz Envy going on in this thread. xwhistlex xpeacexReally, get over this "griz envy" thing. It is really a HOMER fallback call. xnodx

Lumberjacks76
April 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I don't know if it is homerism or not. Just an advocacy for one's team.

Paul

Montanan
April 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I don't know if it is homerism or not. Just an advocacy for one's team.

Paul

yes, but its an advocacy for a non east coast team; therefore, some poster(s) refer to it as homerism.xwhistlexxrulesxxcoffeexxsmiley_wixxconfu sedxxlolxxnodx

Proud Griz Man
April 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Cal Poly gets 2 home games, including the 1st & Last. xnodx
I think that Cal Poly likes scheduling Big Sky Teams to fill out their 11 games.
UM gets the 3 homes games in the middle, against a quality program.

UM has worked to earn its reputation as a top FCS/1-AA school.
It is a myth that UM does not ever travel.
UM has played at Maine, Hofstra, McNeese St., Sam Houston St., Northern Iowa, No. Texas, Idaho, Hawaii, Fresno St., Oregon, Oregon St., Washington St., Minnesota, Wyoming, Iowa, Kansas St., etc. UM played at Cal Poly SLO in 2008, and plays at UC-Davis in 2009.

xcoffeex

nevadagriz
April 30th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Yes Rhody is the bottom, but the bottom of the best Conf, in all of FCS.Actually Northeastern is the bottom, but what ever, Also I think alot of CAA teams are going to be in for a surprise this year. With that said , xconfusedxxsmhxWestern State? come on.

The champion of the "best conference in all of FCS "got beat AT HOME by Montana.xthumbsupx

Native
April 30th, 2009, 02:36 PM
The champion of the "best conference in all of FCS "got beat AT HOME by Montana.xthumbsupx

Hey, Nevada Griz!

There are so many Griz fans, is there some sort of online clearing house where you can check to make sure your online Griz identity is unique?!?? xlolx

Welcome to the thread.

Cheers!
Native
xpeacex

srgrizizen
April 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM

The issue isn't East Coast Bias bias, it's East Coast provincialism, defined in the dictionary as: Limited in perspective; narrow and self-centered. Thinking they are the center of the universe, such wilfully ignorant types are actually the "rubes from the wilderness", showing no interest in anything outside their own stunted vision. But then, what are you doing on this thread? xnonox

BTW, I have a great idea. Why doesn't somebody start a thread about how weak the Griz schedule is? No one on AGS has ever seen anything like that before, right? LOL

nevadagriz
April 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
just have to have it for years native! I would not want to come up with one now!

Native
April 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
The issue isn't East Coast Bias bias, it's East Coast provincialism, defined in the dictionary as: Limited in perspective; narrow and self-centered. Thinking they are the center of the universe, such wilfully ignorant types are actually the "rubes from the wilderness", showing no interest in anything outside their own stunted vision. But then, what are you doing on this thread? xnonox

BTW, I have a great idea. Why doesn't somebody start a thread about how weak the Griz schedule is? No one on AGS has ever seen anything like that before, right? LOL

The whole Big Sky out-of-conference schedule is pretty good this year! 11 FBS and 11 FCS games, only 5 non-DI contests for the year. xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
April 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Really, get over this "griz envy" thing. It is really a HOMER fallback call. xnodxIn general, I would agree with you, but in this case, there's really no other way to describe a baseless hating of Montana on something so misguided.

There are plenty of good reasons some people hate on Montana. "They play a weak schedule in a weak conference" is probably one of the worst reasons I've ever heard. That's more of a homer fallback call than "Griz envy" ever will be. (I guess you might have to call it a "hater fallback call" in this case)

So yes, there really are some raging cases of Griz envy going on in this thread. xpeacex

Lumberjacks76
April 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Why pick on the Griz when they've achieved so much? That is envy.

Paul

GOKATS
April 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM
In general, I would agree with you, but in this case, there's really no other way to describe a baseless hating of Montana on something so misguided.

There are plenty of good reasons some people hate on Montana. "They play a weak schedule in a weak conference" is probably one of the worst reasons I've ever heard. That's more of a homer fallback call than "Griz envy" ever will be. (I guess you might have to call it a "hater fallback call" in this case)

So yes, there really are some raging cases of Griz envy going on in this thread. xpeacex

Dream on little broom stick cowboy, it's not envy it's HATE!!xnodx

BTW, FTG!!!

Lumberjacks76
April 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
The Griz are masters at winning in the Big Sky. They have shared or won outright over 14 titles since 1995.

Paul

Grizalltheway
April 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Dream on little broom stick cowboy, it's not envy it's HATE!!xnodx

BTW, FTG!!!

Congratulations on hating a bunch of 18-22 year olds whom you've never met. xlolx

Ronbo
April 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hate is the sincerest form of envy! xnodx

elkmcc
April 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Really, get over this "griz envy" thing. It is really a HOMER fallback call. xnodx

Granted, "Griz envy" is tossed about like a pie in the face. However, I cannot believe that you would stoop so low as to post on this topic.

Seriously, if you cannot admit that Montana holds the most envious position in all of FCS then you are fooling yourself in an attempt to fool anyone who is not sophisticated enough to know the difference.

Facilities,
atmosphere,
Ticket revenues,
Fan base,
recruiting,
history,
tradition,
rivalries,
bottom line profit,
royalties from apparell sales,
television exposure,
Consistency,
competitiveness

To the moon............

GOKATS
April 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Congratulations on hating a bunch of 18-22 year olds whom you've never met. xlolx

I don't hate the players at all, it's the obnoxious ass hole fans that draw the ire (and having Bobby for HC doesn't help matters any). xnodxxsmiley_wix

Lumberjacks76
April 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I think Montana will win the Big Sky again this season. Even with a new QB.

Paul

GOKATS
April 30th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Hate is the sincerest form of envy! xnodx

Try again Plato.........................xwhistlexxwhistlex

Let me guess, you gave up dance for philosophy didn't you....................xlolx

uofmman1122
May 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM
I don't hate the players at all, it's the obnoxious ass hole fans that draw the ire (and having Bobby for HC doesn't help matters any). xnodxxsmiley_wixAt least our fan base isn't made up of whiny little turds, whose sole satisfaction in their football season every year is to see their rival lose in the playoffs which they, themselves, didn't make. xlolx xpeacex

Lumberjacks76
May 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Montana State last made the playoffs a few years ago.

Paul

GOKATS
May 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
At least our fan base isn't made up of whiny little turds, whose sole satisfaction in their football season every year is to see their rival lose in the playoffs which they, themselves, didn't make. xlolx xpeacex

That's right Geisha Boy, my two favorite teams are the Bobcats and whoever is playing against the griz. Face it................xnodx

technocat
May 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
yes until the griz finally get kicked off there throne it is just homerism to pick against them but I think this year the BSC will be a lot more competitive than it has been in recent years. Weber returns a crapload of talent from a team that beat the griz in ogden last year but lost in missoula in the playoffs. Eastern Washington returns some good talent on offense but will the post season ban effect their play. NAU looked like a contender last year with a stout defense and excellent running game before a late season collapse. Could they finally get over the hump this year. Portland State will have lots of speed and will score a LOT of points this year but can they stop anyone from doing the same. Sac St has a lot of talent again this year but they haven't put it together yet why would they now... ISU and NCU are write-offs until they start to win consistently although Northern is much closer in my opinion.

Montana will be stellar on defense this year. Lots of speed and athleticism. There secondary is very solid. I think the only weakness could be their smallish d-line. They may break down against power running teams. On offense they return the best WR in the BSC in Mariani and debatably the best RB in Reynolds. The big question marks here are o line and qb with new starters being asked to come in and get the job done. They have have a second year place kicker who should improve and I think be the 2nd or 3rd best in the league. Not gonna lie, they look tough...

And now Montana State: like Montana, our strength will be our defense this year. Unlike Montana, I think our major strength will be our front seven where we will show off some stellar playmakers. Brad Smith and Dane Fletcher highlight a very talented/fast albeit smaller d line. If the recruit from Hawaii comes in and performs we could be downright dominant. Our linebackers are fast and hit hard. We have to replace the all-american bobby daly but so far Clay Bignell is filling his shoes admirably. Our secondary is the question mark. We're solid with Cory Nicols(transfer from Washington) at one corner, he can positively shut down a receiver when he wants to. All Big Sky Safety Kevin Retoriano romes is a heavy hitter despite his size. He is also surprisingly durable. Arnold Briggs is a converted cb who is the front runner for the other saftey spot although Jordan Craney is pressing for time. The other corner is our problem. We lose the very physical and athletic Ramon Lewis and must replace him with either a rs freshman or a sophomore who saw limited action last year. The offense is anchored by a veteran and talented o line. They were definitely the high point of the spring practices. We still have a question mark at qb but return three players with experience from last year. The front runner Kempt was kept out of springball with a knee injury but sounds like he'll be 100% by fall. The wr are untested and unknown although there appears to be a ton of talent there. Injuries also took there toll here during spring as we lost our top 3 receivers for most of the Spring. Hopefully they can improve on last years dismal efforts. The rb's look deep and talented. I think we will definitely be a run to set up the pass team again this year. We have an intriguing aray of talent there, from the big bruisers in CJ Palmer and Blayde Beckstead, to the burner in Ricky Evans, to the all around threat in Aaron Mason who set the Cats rookie rushing record before being beset by two injury plagued years and the emergence of Demitrius Crawford. Hopefully this is the year he puts it all back together. We are extremely strong at TE, in fact because of the injuries to the wr corps in the spring we were running with three TE's on the field most of the time. From what I heard they filled in admirably. Last but not least at PK we have Jason "Sunshine" Cunningham who I believe will be the top kicker in the BCS, maybe not this year he's a soph, but by the end of his career will be something very special. Eric Fisher handles the punting duties and is very solid.

After all that here is my order:
1. UM
2. Weber
3. MSU
4. EWU
5. NAU
6. PSU
7. Sac
8. NCU
9. ISU

Native
May 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
yes until the griz finally get kicked off there throne it is just homerism to pick against them but I think this year the BSC will be a lot more competitive than it has been in recent years. Weber returns a crapload of talent from a team that beat the griz in ogden last year but lost in missoula in the playoffs. Eastern Washington returns some good talent on offense but will the post season ban effect their play. NAU looked like a contender last year with a stout defense and excellent running game before a late season collapse. Could they finally get over the hump this year. Portland State will have lots of speed and will score a LOT of points this year but can they stop anyone from doing the same. Sac St has a lot of talent again this year but they haven't put it together yet why would they now... ISU and NCU are write-offs until they start to win consistently although Northern is much closer in my opinion.

Montana will be stellar on defense this year. Lots of speed and athleticism. There secondary is very solid. I think the only weakness could be their smallish d-line. They may break down against power running teams. On offense they return the best WR in the BSC in Mariani and debatably the best RB in Reynolds. The big question marks here are o line and qb with new starters being asked to come in and get the job done. They have have a second year place kicker who should improve and I think be the 2nd or 3rd best in the league. Not gonna lie, they look tough...

And now Montana State: like Montana, our strength will be our defense this year. Unlike Montana, I think our major strength will be our front seven where we will show off some stellar playmakers. Brad Smith and Dane Fletcher highlight a very talented/fast albeit smaller d line. If the recruit from Hawaii comes in and performs we could be downright dominant. Our linebackers are fast and hit hard. We have to replace the all-american bobby daly but so far Clay Bignell is filling his shoes admirably. Our secondary is the question mark. We're solid with Cory Nicols(transfer from Washington) at one corner, he can positively shut down a receiver when he wants to. All Big Sky Safety Kevin Retoriano romes is a heavy hitter despite his size. He is also surprisingly durable. Arnold Briggs is a converted cb who is the front runner for the other saftey spot although Jordan Craney is pressing for time. The other corner is our problem. We lose the very physical and athletic Ramon Lewis and must replace him with either a rs freshman or a sophomore who saw limited action last year. The offense is anchored by a veteran and talented o line. They were definitely the high point of the spring practices. We still have a question mark at qb but return three players with experience from last year. The front runner Kempt was kept out of springball with a knee injury but sounds like he'll be 100% by fall. The wr are untested and unknown although there appears to be a ton of talent there. Injuries also took there toll here during spring as we lost our top 3 receivers for most of the Spring. Hopefully they can improve on last years dismal efforts. The rb's look deep and talented. I think we will definitely be a run to set up the pass team again this year. We have an intriguing aray of talent there, from the big bruisers in CJ Palmer and Blayde Beckstead, to the burner in Ricky Evans, to the all around threat in Aaron Mason who set the Cats rookie rushing record before being beset by two injury plagued years and the emergence of Demitrius Crawford. Hopefully this is the year he puts it all back together. We are extremely strong at TE, in fact because of the injuries to the wr corps in the spring we were running with three TE's on the field most of the time. From what I heard they filled in admirably. Last but not least at PK we have Jason "Sunshine" Cunningham who I believe will be the top kicker in the BCS, maybe not this year he's a soph, but by the end of his career will be something very special. Eric Fisher handles the punting duties and is very solid.

1. UM
2. Weber
3. MSU
4. EWU
5. NAU
6. PSU
7. Sac
8. NCU
9. ISU

Very nice analysis, technocat!

I am willing to give a little more credibility to the Sac State program because Coach Sperbeck has only been there a couple of years. Also, UNC is young and will do better this year.

Even without probation, I am not sure that EWU returns sufficient experience to contend, and it does not appear that Northern Arizona has replaced key losses. Most of the talent at PSU is relatively inexperienced and this will probably be another rebuilding year. I like Glanville and Mouse for the high profile and entertainment value they bring to the FCS and Big Sky, but they just can't seem to stabilize the program.

So I would rate Sac State and UNC a little higher, NAU and PSU a little lower.

GOKATS
May 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM

1. UM
2. Weber
3. MSU
4. EWU
5. NAU
6. PSU
7. Sac
8. NCU
9. ISU

Nice writeup, just a minor clarification on QB Kempt. He was not held out of spring ball due to a knee injury, rather he is recovering from off season knee surgery due to injury last year and was able to throw and practice in 7/7 situations, etc., just no scrimmage type stuff.

CrazyCat
May 1st, 2009, 01:19 PM
One thing to add to tecnos excellant analysis xthumbsupx

Last year the Cats had absolutely no deep threat, nada, zilch, ,zero. The best WR was true FR Desean Thomas who could go deep but was more of a medium route guy and if he recovers from knee surgery will definitely be an All Conference caliber WR. New this year is Elvis Akpla a transfer from Oregon who has the speed, size and athletic ability to be a star. Defenses will no longer be able to pretty much ignore all deep routes. Add in Mark Desin who will concentrate wholly on the WR position this fall and two very exciting true FR in Everett Gilbert ( check youtube) and Gianni Carter and that's a decent WR group.

Green26
May 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Those are all nice and helpful MSU and conference analyses. Thanks. Much appreciated. I wonder about the MSU o-line, not that I have any particular information. Some players I've run across think the JC transfer is the better qb. I think Crawford will be missed. He was a very good and reliable runner.

GOKATS
May 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
Those are all nice and helpful MSU and conference analyses. Thanks. Much appreciated. I wonder about the MSU o-line, not that I have any particular information. Some players I've run across think the JC transfer is the better qb. I think Crawford will be missed. He was a very good and reliable runner.

OL should be solid barring injuries, they looked really impressive during spring ball (Coach McEndoo does a helluva good job with those guys). It should be a good QB battle this summer- Iddins got the heavy work this spring due to Kempt rehabbing from knee surgery, but Kempt did get passing practice in though the receiving corps was banged up. There's no doubt Crawford will be missed, he's a very talented RB, but the Cats are fairly deep at RB with different runners having different strengths.

saccat
May 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Just like every year...It will come down to who will step up when people get hurt (and they will). The team that does the best filling in for those missing people will do the best.

Captain Obvious,

Tailbone
May 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
That's right Geisha Boy, my two favorite teams are the Bobcats and whoever is playing against the griz. Face it................xnodx

Wow! It must suck to be you.

......you make very crappy choices.:D

Lumberjacks76
May 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
I'll never understand the Montana-Montana State homerism going on. NAU doesn't have a natural rival, if you don't include Southern Utah or New Mexico.

Paul

CrazyCat
May 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM
I'll never understand the Montana-Montana State homerism going on. NAU doesn't have a natural rival, if you don't include Southern Utah or New Mexico.

Paul

Homerism?

GOKATS
May 1st, 2009, 05:24 PM

Paul

It's not homerism, it's a f'ing rivalry. We're 200 miles apart and we really don't like each other xnodx:). It's the stuff legends are made of, we don't expect you to understand.

Lumberjacks76
May 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM
NAU doesn't have much of a rivalry with Arizona or Arizona State (both FBC schools). They have a regional rivalry with Southern Utah and New Mexico.

Paul

uofmman1122
May 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
NAU doesn't have much of a rivalry with Arizona or Arizona State (both FBC schools). They have a regional rivalry with Southern Utah and New Mexico.

PaulYou don't have a rivalry with ASU or UA for the same reason the Griz don't have a rivalry with Western Montana or Montana Tech. It wouldn't be much of a rivalry, now would it?

I Bleed Purple
May 5th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I guess Weber is supposed to have one with ISU, but it really pales in comparison to Utah-BYU.

catatac
May 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
One thing to add to tecnos excellant analysis xthumbsupx

Last year the Cats had absolutely no deep threat, nada, zilch, ,zero. The best WR was true FR Desean Thomas who could go deep but was more of a medium route guy and if he recovers from knee surgery will definitely be an All Conference caliber WR. New this year is Elvis Akpla a transfer from Oregon who has the speed, size and athletic ability to be a star. Defenses will no longer be able to pretty much ignore all deep routes. Add in Mark Desin who will concentrate wholly on the WR position this fall and two very exciting true FR in Everett Gilbert ( check youtube) and Gianni Carter and that's a decent WR group.

Good points guys... and I'll add one thing. Chris Wilson is our incoming WR recruit from CMR High in Great Falls... and he is burning up the track circuit setting records in the 100 and 200 all over the place. I think he ran a 10.46 last weekend? That is crazy fast. I bet he plays as a Freshman. Between him, Thomas, Akpla, and the other "new guy" burners, we finally have true speed at the WR position.

Lumberjacks76
May 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
UM-Montana State is a good rivalry. They often fight tooth and nail for a playoff berth.

Paul

GOKATS
May 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Good points guys... and I'll add one thing. Chris Wilson is our incoming WR recruit from CMR High in Great Falls... and he is burning up the track circuit setting records in the 100 and 200 all over the place. I think he ran a 10.46 last weekend? That is crazy fast. I bet he plays as a Freshman. Between him, Thomas, Akpla, and the other "new guy" burners, we finally have true speed at the WR position.

Wilson was a defensive back in HS and is listed as a DB on the roster. In the recruiting notes Ash said "we have him at cornerback right now, but he could probably play safety". I hadn't heard anything about him being a receiver, maybe I missed something.

trouthunter
May 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
It's not homerism, it's a f'ing rivalry. We're 200 miles apart and we really don't like each other xnodx:). It's the stuff legends are made of, we don't expect you to understand.

Here is why Cat/Griz is so awesome:

~ The Brawl started in 1897

~ The Griz lead 70 - 33 - 5

~ The Cats could not muster a win for 16 straight years xsmiley_wix

~ If you are a Montanan, you are either a cat or a griz...

Montanan
May 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Here is why Cat/Griz is so awesome:

~ The Brawl started in 1897

~ The Griz lead 70 - 33 - 5

~ The Cats could not muster a win for 16 straight years xsmiley_wix

~ If you are a Montanan, you are either a cat or a griz...

i'm a GRIZ dab-nabit!!!

technocat
May 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Wilson was a defensive back in HS and is listed as a DB on the roster. In the recruiting notes Ash said "we have him at cornerback right now, but he could probably play safety". I hadn't heard anything about him being a receiver, maybe I missed something.

Nor have I. I think you are thinking of Jase Muri, who also looks to be a burner. Probably 3rd fastest kid in the state after Wilson and I think McDonald...

Lumberjacks76
May 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I like Weber's chances this year to gain a playoff berth.

Paul

catatac
May 5th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Nor have I. I think you are thinking of Jase Muri, who also looks to be a burner. Probably 3rd fastest kid in the state after Wilson and I think McDonald...

Yep, sorry - got confused... they recruited Wilson to play defense not receiver.

Lumberjacks76
May 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
That sounds about right.

Paul

Native
May 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM

It appears at this point that Montana, Weber and Montana State all have a decent chance of winning 8 DI games this year.

Of course it's way too early to say, but IMO it will be very difficult for any other Big Sky team to win more than 7 DI games in 2009.

rancher griz
May 13th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I really like Montana State's Defense. Those DEs are special. Wouldn't be surprised if the Smith kid outshines Fletcher. MSU's big question is if they can get any kind of passing game going. Weber State should have an excellent offense and always seem to have a pretty salty defense. Montana seems to be the most well rounded team. I really like our offense. We are loaded with talent on that side of the ball. I'm not worried about the QB position. Selle or Larson won't be a downgrade from Berquist. My biggest concern is the size of our Defensive Ends, they have a lot of speed, but could be pushed around. If Carson Bender is healthy I could see him playing some DE. He is fast enough and might be the most physically impressive player in the conferense. Another concern is the OL. We will have another very large and athletic OL, but they had some troubles in pass protection this spring. I think Sac St. could surprise this year. PSU is the team that will dissapoint this fall. Very poor Defense and not a physical team.

1. Montana
2. MSU
2b. Weber State
4. Sac St.
5. EWU
6. NAU
7. UNC
8. PSU
9. ISU

Also, saw the Wilson kid from CMR play. He is very fast (one of the fastest track sprinters in the country), but he is a project on the gridiron. He needs to get much stronger and become a better tackler. He could become a very good player, but it will be a couple years.

Native
May 13th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I really like Montana State's Defense. Those DEs are special. Wouldn't be surprised if the Smith kid outshines Fletcher. MSU's big question is if they can get any kind of passing game going. Weber State should have an excellent offense and always seem to have a pretty salty defense. Montana seems to be the most well rounded team. I really like our offense. We are loaded with talent on that side of the ball. I'm not worried about the QB position. Selle or Larson won't be a downgrade from Berquist. My biggest concern is the size of our Defensive Ends, they have a lot of speed, but could be pushed around. If Carson Bender is healthy I could see him playing some DE. He is fast enough and might be the most physically impressive player in the conferense. Another concern is the OL. We will have another very large and athletic OL, but they had some troubles in pass protection this spring. I think Sac St. could surprise this year. PSU is the team that will dissapoint this fall. Very poor Defense and not a physical team.

1. Montana
2. MSU
2b. Weber State
4. Sac St.
5. EWU
6. NAU
7. UNC
8. PSU
9. ISU

Also, saw the Wilson kid from CMR play. He is very fast (one of the fastest track sprinters in the country), but he is a project on the gridiron. He needs to get much stronger and become a better tackler. He could become a very good player, but it will be a couple years.

I tend to agree that if there will be a dark horse in the Big Sky this year, it is likely to be Sacramento State.

Native
May 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM
...I've always wondered why all the manly, large-penised programs back east/south don't ever man-up ...

Maybe the premise is faulty ... xlolxxlolx xwhistlex

PSUVikings
May 17th, 2009, 11:46 PM
It will be Montana, Weber State, and everyone else. Montana will reload, and I'm predicting Weber State will not only beat Wyoming, but beat them badly. Wyoming has a learning curve with Dave Christensen's new offense, and they are nowhere near it(His words, not mine) I think WSU will beat them.

Portland State looks strong offensively going into next season, but we won't be able to stop anyone on defense....as usual under Jerry. xsmhx

Who would have thought?........

Native
May 18th, 2009, 12:24 AM
It will be Montana, Weber State, and everyone else. Montana will reload, and I'm predicting Weber State will not only beat Wyoming, but beat them badly. Wyoming has a learning curve with Dave Christensen's new offense, and they are nowhere near it(His words, not mine) I think WSU will beat them.

Portland State looks strong offensively going into next season, but we won't be able to stop anyone on defense....as usual under Jerry. xsmhx

Who would have thought?........

I thought that defense was Jerry's domain and offense was Mouse's specialty?

Native
May 19th, 2009, 09:08 PM
...It is a myth that UM does not ever travel.
UM has played at Maine, Hofstra, McNeese St., Sam Houston St., Northern Iowa, No. Texas, Idaho, Hawaii, Fresno St., Oregon, Oregon St., Washington St., Minnesota, Wyoming, Iowa, Kansas St., etc. UM played at Cal Poly SLO in 2008, and plays at UC-Davis in 2009.

xcoffeex ..and lost on the road to Weber in Ogden last year, 28-45. xcoolx

Proud Griz Man
May 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM
..and lost on the road to Weber in Ogden last year, 28-45. xcoolx

Weber State has been a good rival for Montana.

Series Record: UM Leads 35-11 make that 36-12 now

Montana vs. Weber State
1962: at Montana 25, WSU 6
1963: at WSU 19, Montana 13*
1964: at Montana 20, WSU 12
1965: Montana 15, at WSU 14
1966: WSU 28, at Montana 0
1967: Montana 13, at WSU 12
1968: WSU 20, at Montana 16
1969: Montana 20, at WSU 17
1970: at Montana 38, WSU 29
1971: Montana 14, at WSU 13
1972: at Montana 12, WSU 7
1973: Montana 10, at WSU 0
1974: at Montana 24, WSU 13
1975: Montana 48, at WSU 12
1976: at Montana 28, WSU 25
1977: WSU 31, at Montana 23
1978: Montana 27, at WSU 7
1979: at Montana 23, WSU 16
1980: at WSU 38, Montana 21
1981: WSU 7, at Montana 6
1982: Montana 42, at WSU 20
1983: at Montana 28, WSU 26
1984: at WSU 47, Montana 14
1985: WSU 57, at Montana 29
1986: Montana 55, at WSU 29
1987: WSU 29, at Montana 26
1988: Montana 41, at WSU 14
1989: at Montana 31, WSU 6
1990: Montana 39, at WSU 37
1991: at Montana 47, WSU 38
1992: at WSU 24, Montana 7
1993: at Montana 45, WSU 17
1994: Montana 35, at WSU 20
1995: at Montana 49, WSU 22
1996: Montana 24, at WSU 10
1997: at Montana 38, WSU 13
1998: at WSU 27, Montana 20
1999: at Montana 81, WSU 22
2000: Montana 30, at WSU 28
2001: at Montana 38, WSU 23
2002: Montana 39, at WSU 7
2003: at Montana 12, WSU 7
2004: Montana 42, at WSU 21
2005: at Montana 24, WSU 19
2006: Montana 33, at WSU 30
2007: at Montana 18, WSU 10

Native
May 20th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Weber State has been a good rival for Montana.

make that 36-12 now

THANKS! I was hoping one of you Grizz trolls would be interested in getting back to this thread! xsmiley_wix

Proud Griz Man
May 23rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
THANKS! I was hoping one of you Grizz trolls would be interested in getting back to this thread! xsmiley_wix

xcoffeex

and your point is ?

Proud Griz Man
May 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM

What do you think about the changes in WSU's coaching staff?

Weber State head football coach, RON McBRIDE, announced three new members of his football staff and a shuffling of assignments for those coaches returning for the 2009 season.

http://www.weberstatesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8600&SPID=3468&SPSID=39321

http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39328&SPID=3468&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=8600&ATCLID=3656043

How is Higgins and new QB coach Beck's relationship going?
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics28/200/AF/AFTNYNTHNVKAYUS.20080814175549.jpg http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/graphics/athletes/m-00000001210.jpg

Native IT guy, did you travel to SLO to watch the playoff game? Are you looking forward to playing Colorado State or Wyoming or Cal Poly or Montana?

How is WSU's tennis team doing?
https://www.nmnathletics.com/pics10/400/TR/TRVBVRRYJYIOJDJ.20080925194459.jpg