PDA

View Full Version : UNI "alumni"

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I had an experience on the train home today that some UNI folks might not like.

Sitting on the train, about to exit at my station. In front of me is a man, mid 40's, wearing a UNI alumni sweatshirt, with the athletic logo on it. Considering in all my years here in DC I had seen exactly zero UNI people until then, and in light of UNI's big win last weekend, I figure the guy's a fan of the team.

I mention to him that UNI's win was impressive on Saturday. He looks at me like he has no idea what I meant. I point to his sweatshirt, and say "UNI, they had a big win in the I-AA playoffs last weekend." He said "Oh, well I didn't know about that. But I'm sure mad that Iowa State lost to Kansas."

Having to put up with the garbage students and alumni of ASU that pull for their favorite ACC team instead of the Apps, I was struck that this apparently is a problem out your way as well? If so, my apologies.

txstatebobcat
November 28th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I believe that there are very few teams in I-AA that don't have to deal with this problem.

Here at TxState all we hear is UT, UT and more UTexas.

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 09:26 PM

Sitting on the train, about to exit at my station. In front of me is a man, mid 40's, wearing a UNI alumni sweatshirt, with the athletic logo on it. Considering in all my years here in DC I had seen exactly zero UNI people until then, and in light of UNI's big win last weekend, I figure the guy's a fan of the team.

I mention to him that UNI's win was impressive on Saturday. He looks at me like he has no idea what I meant. I point to his sweatshirt, and say "UNI, they had a big win in the I-AA playoffs last weekend." He said "Oh, well I didn't know about that. But I'm sure mad that Iowa State lost to Kansas."

Having to put up with the garbage students and alumni of ASU that pull for their favorite ACC team instead of the Apps, I was struck that this apparently is a problem out your way as well? If so, my apologies.

Yeah, it's a disease in Iowa. No big deal. People are born either Hawkheads are Psychclowns there.

:rolleyes:

skinny_uncle
November 28th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it's a disease in Iowa. No big deal. People are born either Hawkheads are Psychclowns there.

It's a disease everywhere. I hate seeing "Illini" orange in Carbondale.
:eek:

Chi Panther
November 28th, 2005, 09:50 PM

Maybe you have seen this guy around DC......UNI's most famous Alumn.....and PROUD of it......

http://www.senate.gov/~grassley/

Black and Gold Express
November 29th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Maybe you have seen this guy around DC......UNI's most famous Alumn.....and PROUD of it......

http://www.senate.gov/~grassley/ (http://www.senate.gov/%7Egrassley/)

Nope, that wasn't him. ;)

crunifan
November 29th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Isn't that the truth? My dad graduated from Iowa and my brother goes to ISU. I am the only voice of reason in the house. And tonight when UNI beats ISU again in basketball...it will be a glorious night! :D

FL connection
November 29th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I'm wearing my wife's UNI sweatshirt all week and during the game on Saturday.......once the son's team gets beat out I switch my suppport to the wife's alma mater.........the other Panthers. connection out!

igo4uni
November 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Well, at least he had the UNI gear on. Tha'ts better than wearing Iowa or Iowa State crap! :cool:

peace

igo4uni