PDA

View Full Version : SDSU vs. Delaware

JackTwice
April 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Some Delaware folks reported on here a while back that talks had been in the works in regards to cancelling the series. Anyone have any updates? Our local reporter has a quote from the Asst. Athletic Director that does FB scheduling saying the games are still on. What gives?

JackJD
April 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Nothing gives. The most reliable source at present is the scheduling Ass't AD.

GannonFan
April 15th, 2009, 10:29 PM
The games are still on - even the source from UD, the assistant AD, was only quoted as saying there's a chance the series could not be played, but he didn't say it wasn't going to be played.

bluehenbillk
April 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM
The games are still on - even the source from UD, the assistant AD, was only quoted as saying there's a chance the series could not be played, but he didn't say it wasn't going to be played.

I don't think Jerry is an asst AD, he's the Dir of Football Operations. UD should have a new AD this summer so if there's an announcement it'll be around that time. Personally, I'll be surprised if the games ever happen.

93henfan
April 16th, 2009, 08:35 AM
This series is one of the only reasons anyone in Delaware would ever have for going to South Dakota, and vice versa. I'm hoping they don't cancel it.

GannonFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I don't think Jerry is an asst AD, he's the Dir of Football Operations. UD should have a new AD this summer so if there's an announcement it'll be around that time. Personally, I'll be surprised if the games ever happen.

Well, if you want to get technical, his official title is, per the UD website: "Director of Football Operations/Special Assistant to the Director of Athletics".

I agree, though, I'm doubtful this game happens, due to the costs associated with the travel. Shame too, because there are precious few games that are truly "national" games and this would have been one of them (well, 3 of them actually). But yes, it will depend greatly on the new AD which should come this summer. I for one certainly hope it isn't cancelled.

Ivytalk
April 16th, 2009, 09:14 AM
This series is one of the only reasons anyone in Delaware would ever have for going to South Dakota, and vice versa. I'm hoping they don't cancel it.

Agreed, except for the Black Hills and slightly less usurious credit card interest rates!:p

I'd like to see the games go forward, also. Two regional powers slug it out on the field!

JackTwice
April 16th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Agree totally 93. I can't imagine I'd ever have a reason to cross the borders of Delaware intentionally without this game.

I am really torn about this series. I was never really excited about our top 25 team making a 2 for 1 with another top 25 team. But then again I've seen matchups with most of the major FCS conferences except the CAA.

GannonFan
April 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Agree totally 93. I can't imagine I'd ever have a reason to cross the borders of Delaware intentionally without this game.

Geez, it's not like Delaware is in the middle of nowhere - I-95 does run smack through the state and it's only smack in the middle of the most populous section of the US - if you're driving anywhere from Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore down through Wash DC or Virginia, then you're going to pass through Delaware.

I am really torn about this series. I was never really excited about our top 25 team making a 2 for 1 with another top 25 team. But then again I've seen matchups with most of the major FCS conferences except the CAA.

Yeah, I'm not sure why UD would be greatly against this - SDSU would end up with the majority of the travel costs having to come to Newark twice for just one home game in Brookings. And while the first two games are in Newark, UD's never "Furmaned" anyone before so I don't think there be a risk of that happening after SDSU played their games in Newark. Obviously the game does little to help either team in terms of local recruiting as SD kids aren't coming to Delaware and vice versa. Like I said, I certainly hope this series gets played, as there is certainly a dearth of regular season East/West games being played.

jstclmet
April 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Not real sure how strong SDSU is, but the time to steal one from UD is now while they're not so strong. Assuming they're on your schedule for next year, you still may have a 50/50 chance of at least getting that one in Newark.

UD's got offensive line woes and really won't have them resolved this year. However, that should be the point of emphasis of their next recruiting class, and perhaps a couple of well timed xfers may help them as they rebuild. After next year, all bets are off, but they may be back to their two year QB dilema.

Good luck.

93henfan
April 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Not real sure how strong SDSU is, but the time to steal one from UD is now while they're not so strong. Assuming they're on your schedule for next year, you still may have a 50/50 chance of at least getting that one in Newark.

UD's got offensive line woes and really won't have them resolved this year. However, that should be the point of emphasis of their next recruiting class, and perhaps a couple of well timed xfers may help them as they rebuild. After next year, all bets are off, but they may be back to their two year QB dilema.

Good luck.

Meanwhile, Villanova continues to strive for its first national championship in football... xwhistlex

GannonFan
April 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Good luck.

First of all, the series is scheduled for 2010, 2011, and 2012 (first two in Newark).

And second of all, how many more boards are you going to pepper with your biased opinion of UD's prospects this year? I think you even speculated that UD would be lucky to win 3 games this year on one of the boards.

UD's got question marks at offensive line, no question. But that's about it. With Devlin and Hakes at QB UD's actually got two pretty good QB's at the same time since KC's come to town, the RB's, WR's, and TE's are all deep and experienced, and the defense will actually be better next year than it was in '08, and it was a very good defense in '08.

Outside of nova, who's clearly the favorite going into next year, UD's got no more question marks than other CAA teams (Richmond on how to replace the key cogs that won them the title last year - namely the DE's and RB, JMU on how to replace Landers, half the OL, and half of a defense that wasn't stellar, W&M on how to replace Phillips at QB, Towson on how to replace their QB and break in a new coaching staff, and UMass on how to replace Coen and break in a new coaching staff).

UD tanked last year because they had absolutely no QB and because the OC was unable to come up with a plan to overcome that. This year they have a stud in Devlin at QB and a new, experienced OC. And last year the only game that UD wasn't really in was the JMU game, so considering that they played much of the year with no QB, no OC, and even used a WR/TE combo at the QB spot, that's not too shabby. UD in the playoffs this year wouldn't be anywhere near the shocker you're making it out to be, and they should easily eclipse last year's win total of 4.

jstclmet
April 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
First of all, the series is scheduled for 2010, 2011, and 2012 (first two in Newark).

And second of all, how many more boards are you going to pepper with your biased opinion of UD's prospects this year? I think you even speculated that UD would be lucky to win 3 games this year on one of the boards.

UD's got question marks at offensive line, no question. But that's about it. With Devlin and Hakes at QB UD's actually got two pretty good QB's at the same time since KC's come to town, the RB's, WR's, and TE's are all deep and experienced, and the defense will actually be better next year than it was in '08, and it was a very good defense in '08.

Outside of nova, who's clearly the favorite going into next year, UD's got no more question marks than other CAA teams (Richmond on how to replace the key cogs that won them the title last year - namely the DE's and RB, JMU on how to replace Landers, half the OL, and half of a defense that wasn't stellar, W&M on how to replace Phillips at QB, Towson on how to replace their QB and break in a new coaching staff, and UMass on how to replace Coen and break in a new coaching staff).

UD tanked last year because they had absolutely no QB and because the OC was unable to come up with a plan to overcome that. This year they have a stud in Devlin at QB and a new, experienced OC. And last year the only game that UD wasn't really in was the JMU game, so considering that they played much of the year with no QB, no OC, and even used a WR/TE combo at the QB spot, that's not too shabby. UD in the playoffs this year wouldn't be anywhere near the shocker you're making it out to be, and they should easily eclipse last year's win total of 4.

Actually, I've picked UD to go 3 - 3 @ home, and 1 - 4 on the road, giving them 4 wins. As it is only Apr, I'm not married to the prediction yet, as you mention above UMass have some things to work out, but your road schedule isn't pretty. Thus, now is the time to strike if you're a team thinking about taking one from UD. I would think that UD would recruit or find some O-Linemen over the next winter to address these needs to put out a better product for 2010.

You have Devlin for 09 & 10 and Hakes in the wings looking over his shoulder at any FBS QB that might be disgruntled. UD continues to have that 2 yr cycle of "Whos @ QB". I see nothing in the immediate future to change that.

It's not bias, it's an objective view based on what you have coming back and your schedule.

I'm of the opinion W&M will do well and be in the playoff mix with Archer. UNH & UR as well. With Nova, I believe these 4 would represent the CAA in the playoffs. The 5th team will be the interesting pick. Again at this early date, I'm thinking it's gonna come down to JMU, Maine, and possibly Umass.

bluehenbillk
April 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM
It's not bias, it's an objective view based on what you have coming back and your schedule.

It's hard to name a better defense coming back in the CAA. Remember anyone's defense can't stop INT returns for TD's.

93henfan
April 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I am prepared to crown Villanova the pre-season paper champion, but ultimately, the only thing that matters is who wins the last game of the year (actually the first game, now that they've moved Chatty to January).