PDA

View Full Version : NY Jets at SBU ?

Seawolf97
April 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
It was reported this morning 4/14 in the Long Island Newsday that the NFL New York Jets are looking to build a training facility in New York State. Sites of interest are StonyBrook University, Cornell University and SUNY-Cortland (D3).
The article reported the Jets already have a new 75 million dollar complex in New Jersey and just left Hofstra.
If they did use StonyBrook they would build 1 or possibly 2 grass practice fields in addition to using LaValle Stadium. The room is there for the both new fields and our weight rooms and locker rooms have all been re furbished.
Just have to wait and see since no date has been given or official site chosen.

Redwyn
April 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Sounds quite exciting. The new fields could help Soccer, Lacrosse, and some of the club sports on campus. Might even make me a Jets fan again, haha.

danefan
April 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
If its true, you better hope the Jets are more generous and accomodating than the Giants.

I speak from personal experience as a former player that had to go through camp with the Giants using our facilities at the same time - its a complete distraction and not worth it.

Unless they are willing to provide a nice payday - you'd be surprised how little UAlbany makes from having the Giants on campus (the only revenue source is charging for parking).

aceinthehole
April 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM
It was reported this morning 4/14 in the Long Island Newsday that the NFL New York Jets are looking to build a training facility in New York State. Sites of interest are StonyBrook University, Cornell University and SUNY-Cortland (D3).
The article reported the Jets already have a new 75 million dollar complex in New Jersey and just left Hofstra.
If they did use StonyBrook they would build 1 or possibly 2 grass practice fields in addition to using LaValle Stadium. The room is there for the both new fields and our weight rooms and locker rooms have all been re furbished.

Sorry, this is just silly speculation. The JETS left Hofstra to custom build a state-of-the-art training facility in Florham Park. Its a great reuse of an old Chrysler factory.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2412-jets-impressed-on-first-day-in-new-office-

http://www.newyorkjets.com/fan_zone/photos/573

The JETS aren't going anywhere.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. The Eagles do much of their in-season training and practice at the NovaCare complex at Villanova, but have their preseason camp at Lehigh - which works out pretty well for everyone involved. It could very well be that the Jets are thinking about holding preseason camp at SBU, and having all their in-season training in their new facility.

Some folks are of the mind that preseason camps are useless, but I sure am not. I think Lehigh and the Eagles are quite thrilled with their setup, and unlike Albany I'd say many of the others (Wofford/Carolina Panthers, for one) are also pretty thrilled with the arrangement.

aceinthehole
April 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. The Eagles do much of their in-season training and practice at the NovaCare complex at Villanova, but have their preseason camp at Lehigh - which works out pretty well for everyone involved. It could very well be that the Jets are thinking about holding preseason camp at SBU, and having all their in-season training in their new facility.

Some folks are of the mind that preseason camps are useless, but I sure am not. I think Lehigh and the Eagles are quite thrilled with their setup, and unlike Albany I'd say many of the others (Wofford/Carolina Panthers, for one) are also pretty thrilled with the arrangement.

Maybe, this is a very slight possiblity. Considering what the JETS spent and the fact they left Hofstra, they aren't "building" anything new. I also doubt they are willing to pay anything signifigant to use university facilities, when they have a the Florham Park site.

These guys are highly paid pros, and I think they days of summer camps on collge campuses, sadly are on the decline in most cases.

BTW - where is the link to the actual article/source?

Wildcat80
April 15th, 2009, 11:43 AM

I thought you needed to fund a new weight room for football? This might help that cause. If only the Patriots wanted to come to Durham....new weight room, locker room, stadium seating......Mr Kraft???xlolx

MonmouthMom
April 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
In Newark Star Ledger today: Jets leaning toward SUNY-Cortland.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/04/new_york_jets_leaning_toward_h.html

Uncle Buck
April 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I thought they were just looking for something to use as a summer camp, so they really aren't abandoning the new digs at all. Either way, it looks like Cortland is the leader.

Seawolf97
April 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I thought they were just looking for something to use as a summer camp, so they really aren't abandoning the new digs at all. Either way, it looks like Cortland is the leader.

Wherever they go it is amazing that they would leave a brand new 75 million dollar facility near their stadium. Maybe they will wind up with the NJ site for in season drills and the NY site for out of season? They really know how to burn moeny.

danefan
April 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Its about getting away and molding the team - or at least that's the way the Giants explain it.

And Cortland has some nice digs - great for DIII
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper522/stills/39ru4862.jpg

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM
How did Cortland get those digs while you guys have what you have? Do they have their equivalent of LaValle out there? xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

danefan
April 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
How did Cortland get those digs while you guys have what you have? Do they have their equivalent of LaValle out there? xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

They had good lobbying. They also have not gotten any other major funding for anything (academic or otherwise). The stadium funding was their #1 priority for many years. They also had good timing.

Its like salt in our wounds.

And its not as big as a fish-eyed lense makes it look. Only seats 6,500.

aceinthehole
April 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Its about getting away and molding the team - or at least that's the way the Giants explain it.

And Cortland has some nice digs - great for DIII
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper522/stills/39ru4862.jpg

This search for a "preseason camp" is all Rex Ryan. This is something new and unessecarry, but the front office has seem to given him the green light on this.

From everthing I read, he wants the players to have an "off-site experinece" in preseason. Except for a week or 2 in the preseaon, the Florham Park facility is the JETS training home.

IMO - this is stupid. As a huge JETS fans, I'm not sure I see the need for this. PSL are still an issue with fans, and I'm not comfortable with the QB sistuation so far. This is going to be a long year for Gang Green :(

aceinthehole
April 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
They had good lobbying. They also have not gotten any other major funding for anything (academic or otherwise). The stadium funding was their #1 priority for many years. They also had good timing.

Its like salt in our wounds.

And its not as big as a fish-eyed lense makes it look. Only seats 6,500.

that would still be the best facility in the NEC! In all honestly, that would be perfect for UA. I know you want bigger, but I'm sure you'd all be very happy if you had that.

I feel for the Albany guys on this issue a lot. Its not too much different than what we deal with at CCSU and our stste government.

danefan
April 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
that would still be the best facility in the NEC! In all honestly, that would be perfect for UA. I know you want bigger, but I'm sure you'd all be very happy if you had that.

I feel for the Albany guys on this issue a lot. Its not too much different than what we deal with at CCSU and our stste government.

Without a doubt, we'd be happier than we are now. I have been advocating for about a year now that they need to ditch the $65 million stadium plans for a $10 million upgrade to our current field which would get us around 10,000 seats. Wouldn't have all the bells and whistles, but it would be more than sufficient. Honestly - the stadium proposal they are pushing would instantly be one of the nicest facilities in all of FCS. That is overboard in this economy, IMO.

Seawolf97
April 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Without a doubt, we'd be happier than we are now. I have been advocating for about a year now that they need to ditch the $65 million stadium plans for a $10 million upgrade to our current field which would get us around 10,000 seats. Wouldn't have all the bells and whistles, but it would be more than sufficient. Honestly - the stadium proposal they are pushing would instantly be one of the nicest facilities in all of FCS. That is overboard in this economy, IMO.

Hopefully when the economy starts to pick up you guys can get something decent to be proud of. I understand just about everything in the SUNY System is on long term hold right now.

danefan
April 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090421/SPORTS/904210339/-1/SPORTS

Confirmed - Jets to Cortland.

SBU - you're better off without them.

UAalum72
April 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Actually Chugger Davis field doesn't look bad even in an aerial view
http://www.basketballforum.com/photopost/data/500/Cortland.JPG

danefan
April 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Actually Chugger Davis field doesn't look bad even in an aerial view
http://www.basketballforum.com/photopost/data/500/Cortland.JPG

I like it because of the A-frame on the home side.

Double the home side and you have a very very respectable FCS stadium that would seat about 10,000.

Seawolf97
April 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM
For D-3 program they do have a nice stadium though. Hey maybe we will get the NY Dragons if they ever come back :)