PDA

View Full Version : How Many at The Rock this Saturday?

KiddBrewer
November 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
After seeing the loudest 6,000 fans (BS) ive ever seen last saturday in boone, what does everybody else think the attendance will be this coming Saturday against a very good SIU team? Id love to see 60 percent of the student body and all of Watuaga county, but we'll see. Give me your estimates.

November 28th, 2005, 02:59 PM
6,500?

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
After seeing the loudest 6,000 fans (BS) ive ever seen last saturday in boone, what does everybody else think the attendance will be this coming Saturday against a very good SIU team? Id love to see 60 percent of the student body and all of Watuaga county, but we'll see. Give me your estimates.

Actual attendance: 22,647

Listed Attendance: 17,950

JoshUCA
November 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM
What is up with the official attendance #'s? Our playoff game at UCA (Division II) this past weekend had an "official attendance" of 6355, but if you were there you would know that there were well over 8,000 in actual attendance?!?! Did those other couple of thousand sneak in, which would be hard to do because the stadium is fenced in and to get in you are supposed to go by a ticket counter person but who knows!?

Appstate03
November 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
The stadium should sell out. I don't think it will be standing room like the Western game but it should be really full, say around 25000 actual.

If we win this week and Furman wins, I think we will set a new attendence record in next weekend. That Rock will be rocking, no pun intended.

KiddBrewer
November 28th, 2005, 03:34 PM
The stadium should sell out. I don't think it will be standing room like the Western game but it should be really full, say around 25000 actual.

If we win this week and Furman wins, I think we will set a new attendence record in next weekend. That Rock will be rocking, no pun intended.

I agree, i say around 22-23K, not quite as many as the western game because there were so many Western fans at that game because of how close the two schools are.....no doubt there will a huge crowd because of this games importance, but i dont know how well the Saluki fans will travel. But if we can make it through a good SIU team and the Paladins can beat a Richmond team coming off a win over i think an overrated Hampton team, i expect 30,000 on the 10th because of the rivarly, closeness, and want for payback.

KiddBrewer
November 28th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Although Richmond is rolling, dont get me wrong.

matfu
November 28th, 2005, 05:10 PM
if furman beats richmond (a big "if" as i think richmond should be favored), i, as a furman fan, would probably rather come to boone than have furman go to SI. they would almost certainly get the home game (since it seems the committee members are trying to make it fair etc. and SI has been on the road twice). so, even though i think it would be tough playing you all in boone, i would rather take my chances there. of course i had originally hoped furman would get a home game with richmond and SI but that ain't going to happen.

i am not at all confident furman will beat richmond but i hope they prove me wrong as they did against hofstra. i always thought we would beat app state earlier this year, and if we can beat richmond, i think we can beat app state again. sure would be sweet revenge for the "miracle on the mountain".

blukeys
November 28th, 2005, 05:36 PM
What is up with the official attendance #'s? Our playoff game at UCA (Division II) this past weekend had an "official attendance" of 6355, but if you were there you would know that there were well over 8,000 in actual attendance?!?! Did those other couple of thousand sneak in, which would be hard to do because the stadium is fenced in and to get in you are supposed to go by a ticket counter person but who knows!?

A school submits a bid for a playoff game. If the NCAA accepts the bid let's say $50,000 Ticket prices are set by the NCAA and there is a split between the NCAA and the home school let's say 50-50 Once the bid is met. Since the NCAA is technically "running" the playoff game they get the minimum bid AND the split past the minimum bid. There is no incentive for the host school to give the NCAA anything over the minimum bid.

So let's say the NCAA sets ticket prices at $5.00 per ticket (It is usually much higher) and the school gets 10,000 in attendance then the school gets $50,000 for it's bid to the NCAA and no profit for the school other than concessions. If the school gets 14,000 it still pays the NCAA $50,000 and must pay the NCAA 50% of the revenue over the guarantee bid of $50,000.

Schools calculate what they need to meet the bid minimum and then underreport. The best case I have to my personal knowledge is the UD - Lehigh playoff game of 2000. The Tub could not have had more fans fit in with a shoe horn yet Delaware reported a crowd of 16,000 +.

NCAA guidelines not only encourage underreporting but require it. This is one area the UMASS critics have it right. The NCAA wants all the money for themselves and are more than willing to screw the schools that are participating in the playoffs.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 05:44 PM
A school submits a bid for a playoff game. If the NCAA accepts the bid let's say $50,000 Ticket prices are set by the NCAA and there is a split between the NCAA and the home school let's say 50-50 Once the bid is met. Since the NCAA is technically "running" the playoff game they get the minimum bid AND the split past the minimum bid. There is no incentive for the host school to give the NCAA anything over the minimum bid.

So let's say the NCAA sets ticket prices at $5.00 per ticket (It is usually much higher) and the school gets 10,000 in attendance then the school gets $50,000 for it's bid to the NCAA and no profit for the school other than concessions. If the school gets 14,000 it still pays the NCAA $50,000 and must pay the NCAA 50% of the revenue over the guarantee bid of $50,000.

Schools calculate what they need to meet the bid minimum and then underreport. The best case I have to my personal knowledge is the UD - Lehigh playoff game of 2000. The Tub could not have had more fans fit in with a shoe horn yet Delaware reported a crowd of 16,000 +.

NCAA guidelines not only encourage underreporting but require it. This is one area the UMASS critics have it right. The NCAA wants all the money for themselves and are more than willing to screw the schools that are participating in the playoffs.
I thought I had read an NCAA 75-25 host split. I can't see lying for the 1st round difference. ASU would have been lying for an extra 10 G's at most and much less considering much of that would be student tickets at 5 bucks each.
An athlete can't accept a free ride home from a booster club member but a school is expected to steal thousands? Something is rotten.

texcap
November 28th, 2005, 07:42 PM
How and who determines the ticket prices for playoff games? I know that in the first round games Texas State had reserved seats at $12, while Appalachian had reserved seats at $20. Why the difference in price if the NCAA sets the price? I can understand a deiscrepancy if the prices are set by the host school.

By the way what were the ticket prices at the other six sites?

Cincy App
November 28th, 2005, 08:24 PM
History says don't expect a big playoff crowd in Boone on Saturday - although we have only hosted two other 2nd round games. It will be interesting to see if we can do much better this week without the holiday weekend. I'll guess 11,400 in the stands against SIU.

blukeys
November 28th, 2005, 08:36 PM
I thought I had read an NCAA 75-25 host split. I can't see lying for the 1st round difference. ASU would have been lying for an extra 10 G's at most and much less considering much of that would be student tickets at 5 bucks each.
An athlete can't accept a free ride home from a booster club member but a school is expected to steal thousands? Something is rotten.

The principle is still the same. Once the minimum is met the Host school must share 25% of every ticket reported there with NCAA. By your formula if they report true attendance the school loses 25% for every ticket sold over the Minimum.

By the way I used a ticket price of $5.00. I don't know anyone who pays that little for a playoff games. At Newark the end zone seats are at least double that amount. :rolleyes:

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:42 PM
The principle is still the same. Once the minimum is met the Host school must share 25% of every ticket reported there with NCAA. By your formula if they report true attendance the school loses 25% for every ticket sold over the Minimum.

By the way I used a ticket price of $5.00. I don't know anyone who pays that little for a playoff games. At Newark the end zone seats are at least double that amount. :rolleyes:

In other words. Give phony attendance and steall the whole $20 for each ticket over the minimum.

Cocky
November 28th, 2005, 09:46 PM

KiddBrewer
November 28th, 2005, 09:51 PM

at the appalachian game??? yea maybe 5,800 on the grass hill

ASU Kep
November 29th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Actual: 18,359 (not that this number could ever be really known)

Reported, based on my estimated % under-reportage last game: 14,583.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 09:09 AM
History says don't expect a big playoff crowd in Boone on Saturday - although we have only hosted two other 2nd round games. It will be interesting to see if we can do much better this week without the holiday weekend. I'll guess 11,400 in the stands against SIU.

with 3 years of no playoffs, i say history is out the window for this one

AppStateMan
November 29th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Attendance will never be like it was during regular season (fans make plans in advance). Also, very few will want to sit in the grass with the weather looking "iffy" Saturday. I say attendance around 12,000. Now, if we win this weekend.......December 10th attendance will be around 16,000.

Cincy App
November 29th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Attendance will never be like it was during regular season (fans make plans in advance). Also, very few will want to sit in the grass with the weather looking "iffy" Saturday. I say attendance around 12,000. Now, if we win this weekend.......December 10th attendance will be around 16,000.

Good comments. I agree that the advance planning combined with the remote location and cold weather to North Carolinians will keep the attendance down to the 10k - 12k range.

Cincy App
November 29th, 2005, 09:32 AM
with 3 years of no playoffs, i say history is out the window for this one

We'll see - and I hope you're right. I guessed around 10,300 last week and still was way over. Playoff attendance will disappoint us in raw numbers. Still, we will sound like 20k or more! We certainly made alot of noise last Saturday!

Black and Gold Express
November 29th, 2005, 10:18 AM
I'

Black and Gold Express
November 29th, 2005, 10:20 AM
We'll see - and I hope you're right. I guessed around 10,300 last week and still was way over. Playoff attendance will disappoint us in raw numbers. Still, we will sound like 20k or more! We certainly made alot of noise last Saturday!

I'm sure the NCAA will step in and demand that we limit our attendance to prevent the crowd from distracting the visiting team. Don't want to have too much of a homefield advantage, ya know... :p

KiddBrewer
November 29th, 2005, 01:29 PM
If app plays december 10th, and it happens to be against a rival furman to see who goes to the national championship.......i dont see why we wouldnt atleast pull as many people as when we played a chattanoga team in the regular season.

KiddBrewer
November 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I'd say the Yosef Club Members attendance alone would be extremely high......they prolly want a chance to see the hard earned money they give the school result in something differant than every other year....a trip to Chattanoga

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 01:52 PM

I say fill up all the seats--completely--and see what kind of numbers they say then.

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 01:54 PM
If app plays december 10th, and it happens to be against a rival furman to see who goes to the national championship.......i dont see why we wouldnt atleast pull as many people as when we played a chattanoga team in the regular season.

Except for the lack of a NC, I've been very happy with the results $ I've contributed over the past 30 years and most especially the Moore era.

AppStateSVX
November 29th, 2005, 02:08 PM
i think there should be at least 20k people there this saturday. I know most of the students around here aren't too thrilled about paying for tickets, but still want to go. I think the only reason numbers weren't high last week was b/c it was thanksgiving break, and no one was back in time for the game at 2 30. The excitement is pretty high around here though, esp. since we have a home basketball game that night.

APPST '93
November 29th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Don't talk about attendance if you were not there this past Saturday! We easily had over 10k at the game. ASU under reported the numbers.

As for the weather...

Dec 3 - Boone, NC
Kickoff - 2:30 PM
Tailgate - 11 AM Game Time Forecast: Mostly cloudy; Cool; Temps: 40-45; Slight chance of a light shower late.

If fans stay away from this game due to weather I hope they never attend another ASU game.

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Why in the H would you wish they never attend another game?

KiddBrewer
November 29th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I was there this past saturday, and i truly think it was the most enjoyable game all year....werent blowing the other team out at the start of the 4th, didnt have to stand sideways in the student section to fit everybody (not that thats a bad thing), the weather was perfect, etc. only thing that sucked was waiting in line for 45 minutes for a ticket, i suggest you get your tickets online before the game at goasu.com

APPST '93
November 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Tickets are in hand. I agree, buy online and print them out. I walked through gate with no line. See ya there on Saturday.

AppStateMan
November 29th, 2005, 08:55 PM
With about 6,000 fans (??) at Saturday’s game, I would have to say that was one of the loudest games I’ve been too (and I’ve been at every home game for the past 2 years). The crowd was really into the game. In my opinion last weeks game against the Leopards was the best game all year. Great atmosphere!! Even Coach Moore commented on how the crowd changed the game for the Apps!! So 6,000 or 23,000 fans, whatever. It’s the Rock.....!!!

ronpayne
November 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I think ASU will sellout this week - student tickets will easily number 5,000 plus, and I know a lot of friends and even some of my booster parents from the band are going to the game (even though we have our hometown Christmas parade this Saturday) - so I'm guessing circa 22,000, even though our official capacity is something like 16500?

Go Apps!

asufan87
November 30th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I expect we'll see about 14,000 at KBS this weekend.

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I expect we'll see about 14,000 at KBS this weekend.

Sounds realistic. Anywhere from 12 to 14K would be my guess. If App makes the semis and the game is on Saturday, then I'd guess a capacity crowd.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I agree, i say around 22-23K, not quite as many as the western game because there were so many Western fans at that game because of how close the two schools are.....no doubt there will a huge crowd because of this games importance, but i dont know how well the Saluki fans will travel. But if we can make it through a good SIU team and the Paladins can beat a Richmond team coming off a win over i think an overrated Hampton team, i expect 30,000 on the 10th because of the rivarly, closeness, and want for payback.
I know I should have faith, but I am thinking around 17k for attendance. Because of weather and that it's SIU. Hopefully I will be wrong, but I will be there...wouldn't miss it for the world.