PDA

View Full Version : UCA - 10 Div I Games in Season I

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Word on the UCA board is that they'll have only one Div II squad on their schedule (Henderson State) and the rest will be games against fellow Div I schools...

Not concrete, but I'm surprised they pulled that off this late into the game considering FB schedules are made pretty early. I know the SLC portion of their schedule is four games against future SLC foes, but I'm shocked they were able to pull this.

They're going to take their beatings but I think they can go .500, if not better. A top-notch Div II team that has a coach who has been preparing for this move.

What's the track record of some recent Div IIs in their first year in Div I? Did they go all out in scheduling Div Is? Or a little of both? I know SELA when they brought back football scheduled various foes (three SLCers, two SWAC, a Troy St, Jacksonville, St. Marys and the rest sub-Div Is)...

DinoDex200
November 28th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I assume you are referring to Central Arkansas? Didn't know the Southland was getting another member...good for you guys after the departures of Troy and Jax State...and all those other La. schools. xprost2x

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I assume you are referring to Central Arkansas? Didn't know the Southland was getting another member...good for you guys after the departures of Troy and Jax State...and all those other La. schools. xprost2x

Central Arkansas...correct. Coming in for all SLC sports except FB next year. They'll be a full-fledged member unlike Jax St or Troy...

Hansel
November 28th, 2005, 01:52 PM
NDSU had 9 DI schools (one mid-major Valpo) their first year.

DinoDex200
November 28th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Good deal

Jacks99
November 28th, 2005, 02:05 PM
SDSU scheduled both strong DI-AA programs and also too many D2 and below:

1st year in transition: 8 DI-AA's (with the other transition schools in the GWFC), 3 D2's

2nd year in transition: 9 DI-AA's (including Valpo), 1 D2, 1 D3

next year: so far 7 DI-AA's , 1 - D3 and 1 - NAIA

Hopefully next year SDSU can figure out how to fill their schedule :bang:

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Snext year: so far 7 DI-AA's , 1 - D3 and 1 - NAIA

D3 and a NAIA? Who's pulling that?

NAIAs are not legit opponents unless your Indiana State. SHSU rolled over a 4-6 NAIA team running it up the middle.

Jacks99
November 28th, 2005, 02:37 PM
South Dakota State University has William Penn University slated for their 2006 Football schedule.

I can't argue with you about scheduling any team below D2. However, they should prove to be just as much an opponent as Valpo, who vowed to quit playing DI schools with Scholarships.

Would really like to see a schedule full of all DI-AA's soon....

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM
next year: so far 7 DI-AA's , 1 - D3 and 1 - NAIA
:eek: :nono: Somebody fell asleep at the switch. Oh well, not being playoff eligible yet I guess it really doesn't matter in the big picture.

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 02:43 PM
South Dakota State University has William Penn University slated for their 2006 Football schedule.
Damn, how does WP keep getting these games?! They played SIU a couple years ago and some other playoff caliber I-AA team the year before or after.

ucdtim17
November 28th, 2005, 03:29 PM
UCD had 5 D2's and 5 I-AA's in 2003, all I-AA/transitional I-AA in 2004, 10 I-AA and 1 I-A in 2005

Purple Pride
November 30th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Hello everyone. Well, UCA's season is over, so it's time for me to leave D2 behind. Great site, I look forward to visiting with ya'll.

89Hen
November 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Great season UCA fans, looking forward to having you in I-AA. BTW, an interesting note that was briefly brought up on another thread about YSU. When a I-AA team announces that they are moving to I-A, they immediately become ineligible for the I-AA playoffs (see FAMU). Obviously the same doesn't hold true for DII teams moving to I-AA.

November 30th, 2005, 10:47 PM
... What's the track record of some recent Div IIs in their first year in Div I?...I think 2006 is UCA's probationary year where they can still go back to D-II if they want. In 2007 they become a D-I provisional I believe.

Bear Fan 101
December 2nd, 2005, 12:12 AM
Hello everyone. Well, UCA's season is over, so it's time for me to leave D2 behind. Great site, I look forward to visiting with ya'll.

Hey purple pride! Good to see you made it over here. You have the same exact attitue towards the D2 boards as I do now! It is time to move on in football, and the rest will follow as their seasons come to completetion.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2005, 07:43 AM
I think 2006 is UCA's probationary year where they can still go back to D-II if they want. In 2007 they become a D-I provisional I believe.
Has anyone ever come up with a good reason why DII's have to 'transition' or have probationary years? I could understand if you're moving down a level or reducing schollies, but adding? That makes absolutely no sense to me, especially when you have non-scholarship teams at this level. :confused: IMO, the day teams move up, if they have enough DI opponents on their schedules, they should be eligible for the playoffs. :twocents:

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
Has anyone ever come up with a good reason why DII's have to 'transition' or have probationary years? I could understand if you're moving down a level or reducing schollies, but adding? That makes absolutely no sense to me, especially when you have non-scholarship teams at this level. :confused: IMO, the day teams move up, if they have enough DI opponents on their schedules, they should be eligible for the playoffs. :twocents:

89Spider,

It's a four letter word NCAA.
Don't have to have a good reason :rotateh:

89Hen
December 2nd, 2005, 08:22 AM
It's a four letter word NCAA.
Don't have to have a good reason :rotateh:
I don't know if I'm as cynical as some in regards to the NCAA. I think they've made some bad decisions, but all in all, I'd don't think they're the evil empire. Changes I'd make to rules concerning DI and more specifically I-AA...

1. Drop the requirement that you have to have your football team in DI to keep the rest of your athletics in DI. Allow non-schollies to move to DII or DIII.

2. Adopt and ENFORCE stricter rules about minimum requirements to maintain I-A status (like actually audit attendance ON SITE if that's going to be a requirement).

3. Eliminate probationary periods for teams moving UP in division or sub-classification. If a team meets scheduling requirements, they should be eligible for post-season right away.

4. Play the I-AA Championship Game on a fukin SATURDAY night. I don't give a rats arse if ESPN says they want it on Friday. It's a two way street. ESPN pays a lot of money for the rights to NCAA CF games, but you know what... they MAKE a LOT of money on NCAA CF games.

dbackjon
December 2nd, 2005, 10:04 AM

Three words: NCAA BASKETBALL MONEY.

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Very interesting read on UCA and hwo they plan to fill up the 2006 schedule and beyond...

As of Friday, and things are still developing, UCA's football schedule next year has these "definites": Henderson State in Little Rock for the Capital City Classic; Missouri State at home; Stephen F. Austin on the road; Nicholls State at home, South Dakota State on the road and Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State) on the road.

For 2007, the Bears currently have a 10-game schedule that includes the seven other SLC schools plus a road game at Missouri State, a home game against South Dakota State and a Little Rock game against Tennessee-Martin. It breaks down to five home games and five road games.

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/120405/spo_1204050037.shtml