PDA

View Full Version : TRAITORS

ncman071
April 12th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm an app fan, an app alum (class of 2004) , and i bleed black and gold.... and i guess for that reason i dont understand people like this:

I know a dude that graduated from App last year and was a HUGE football/basketball fan......... for DUKE UNIVERSITY......

He literally would deck out in his Duke gear and go to ASU games when Duke wasn't playing at home. I just wanted to slap the **** out of em.

But if App was playing at home and Duke was at home,.. he would drive his ass to Durham and watch Duke play.

If you looked at his facebook, you would think he graduated from there or at some serious ties to that university, with pics of duke's field and players all over the place.

I asked him recently if Duke and ASU were to play, who does he pull for, and his response was "let's just hope Duke and App never play"

I didn't say anything besides just wanting to beat the hell out of em but then i remembered i like my job and my wife is pregnant....so i dont need to get fired or arrested or both anytime soon.

Anyway, do any of you know people like this? If so how do you feel about these types of "fans"??

Personally, i feel like he needs to go ahead and send his diploma back to App and the university needs to revoke his degree.

anyway, it just pisses me off.

introvertedGSUfan
April 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Sounds like so many of the UGA fans here at GSU.

JayJ79
April 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Unfortunately, UNI is infested with a number of Hawkeye wannabees (students/fans who sport U of Iowa gear and attend Squawk games and whatnot).

'tis quite annoying.

hippy@GSU
April 12th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Sounds like so many of the UGA fans here at GSU.

Correct. Plenty of that BS in the 'Boro. I just want to drag them out of their huge overgrown trucks, slap the Skole out of their mouth, rip the Costa Del Mar croakies from their neck, forcefully remove the thUGA hat/plate/sticker, unsew the Polo emblem from their shirts, write TOOL on their heads, make them drink import and exotic beer insteard of Natural light/Keystone, go to their house and turn their TV completly off, sever ties with their automatic refilling bank account from ma and pa (spoiled), turn off the damn 150 db country music.
Finally, drag them behind an Ole Yellow bus to Eagle Creek and baptize them in the spirit of ERK. Then kick their ass all the way to Paulson so they can watch real football in person (not some vanilla form of a pro-style offense like that at ABAC North on TV).

Silenoz
April 13th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I've never met a Cat or Griz fan who wouldn't root for their team in any circumstance

Wildcat80
April 13th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I do not notice alot of that at New Hampshire since we are THE state school. Getting students & alumni to be rabid football fans in addition to ice hockey is a bigger issue. Of course you see the BC & ND tees but few go there to any games while in school. Durham is a UNH town. My guess for some schools its a problem cause they really wanted to go to Duke, Notre Dame, Virginia...instead of ASU, Nova, w&m etc. Go Wildcats!

Jackman
April 13th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I've noticed that phenomenon in other parts of the country, but not the Northeast. I guess our equivalent would be the people who show up at UMass games in Patriots or Celtics garb. The BCS schools are basically the pro teams in regions which didn't receive pro franchises early on. Though nothing explains Georgia.

4th and What?
April 13th, 2009, 06:10 AM
What's the problem with this? Why do you have to be a fan of the school that you go to? Would it be better for him to act like an App St fan but be a closet Duke fan at heart?

I think he probably missed out on a hell of a lot of fun and enjoyment being an App fan while going to the school, but to each his own.

If I move to a city, do I need to start cheering for that cities teams? Nonsense, you build up ties to the teams you cheer for, and you don't drop that just because you reside in a certain location.

JayJ79
April 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM
The BCS schools are basically the pro teams in regions which didn't receive pro franchises early on.

exactly!
at least that seems to be how it is in Iowa.

It will be nice to see the Hawks get beat in their season opener this fall...... xcoolx

DLS
April 13th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I'm an app fan, an app alum (class of 2004) , and i bleed black and gold.... and i guess for that reason i dont understand people like this:

I know a dude that graduated from App last year and was a HUGE football/basketball fan......... for DUKE UNIVERSITY......

He literally would deck out in his Duke gear and go to ASU games when Duke wasn't playing at home. I just wanted to slap the **** out of em.

But if App was playing at home and Duke was at home,.. he would drive his ass to Durham and watch Duke play.

If you looked at his facebook, you would think he graduated from there or at some serious ties to that university, with pics of duke's field and players all over the place.

I asked him recently if Duke and ASU were to play, who does he pull for, and his response was "let's just hope Duke and App never play"

I didn't say anything besides just wanting to beat the hell out of em but then i remembered i like my job and my wife is pregnant....so i dont need to get fired or arrested or both anytime soon.

Anyway, do any of you know people like this? If so how do you feel about these types of "fans"??

Personally, i feel like he needs to go ahead and send his diploma back to App and the university needs to revoke his degree.

that's just a typical N.C. duke fan right there. duke takes little to no students from state and most of the fans in the state have no reason or ties to be a dookie. retards.

it's like an american cheering for the opposing country's soccer team in the world cup.

duke = unamerican

813Jag
April 13th, 2009, 07:24 AM

I'll say this, most people here know I'm a die-hard FSU Seminole and a lifelong Southern U fan. Should I send my diploma back to Southern? Does it matter that I attend games for both schools when ever possible? Honestly who cares who that person roots for? They free up a seat for someone who does like App. On the flipside if there's someone at another school that follows App closely should they send their diploma back? I'm sure there are lots of peoplre at every school that could care less about the sports teams, should their degrees be invalid?

UNHWildCats
April 13th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I didn't go to the University of New Hampshire..... but its the school in the state I am from.

People become fans of schools when they are young kids, long before they even send out college applications... Should they be required to stop rooting for a team they have rooted for since they were 7, 8 or 9 years old just because they attend a different school?

Should I be required to give up my love for the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and so on because I live in New York City now? (I know a few people on here wouldnt mind that :p)

Should Barack Obama become a Nationals fan now that he spends his days and nights in Washington?

Husky Alum
April 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM
We see a lot of it at NU.

Parents who went to NU bring their kids to games and the kids are wearing attire from that school called Boston College. We also have students to associate themselves more with Syracuse, Michigan, UNC and Duke than NU.

Because UMass is "the state school" but BC plays bigger time sports than UMass, NU or BU (hockey notwithstanding), many of the casual fans in Eastern MA root for the Beagles, regardless of where they graduated.

It's very predominant in CT. I have family members who graduated from NU, Central, etc. all of whom are UConn fans. That is THE STATE's TEAM, regardless of where you graduated.

ASUG8
April 13th, 2009, 07:45 AM
My sister in law fits the profile to a tee - App grad, huge dook fan. I think she'd wear blue if the two were to play, and I'm certain she couldn't name a single player for App. :(

Hellgate60
April 13th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I go to Montana Tech but I'm a huge Montana fan. I'm from Missoula so I have been following the Grizzle bears since I was seven. I go to the Griz games over Digger games so I guess that makes me a traitor. People always ask me why I chose Montana Tech over Missoula and the answer is simple. Montana Tech offers the degree I want while Missoula doesn't.

WVAPPmountaineer
April 13th, 2009, 08:00 AM
There are many fans like this here in NC because, I think, we have so many colleges playing sports - however for this one particular guy I would have to gives him his due - If he has remained a true Duke football during the last decade, then he is a true fan - unlike so many of the band-wagon jumpers we have in NC ----

Ivytalk
April 13th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Most Harvard fans are so apathetic that the sight of an FBS sweatshirt or two in the crowd arouses no emotional reaction whatsoever.xcoolx

hapapp
April 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM
A person owes his greatest allegiance to the school that grants him a degree. It's fine to be a fan of another school if you have always followed that school. But, your greatest allegiance should be to the school that gave you your chance. I grew up a Va Tech fan but once I became a student at ASU my first allegiance was there. When ASU-VT played in basketball my freshman year, I had no trouble pulling for the Apps to beat the Hokies. And, we did!

JagHammer
April 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Correct. Plenty of that BS in the 'Boro. I just want to drag them out of their huge overgrown trucks, slap the Skole out of their mouth, rip the Costa Del Mar croakies from their neck, forcefully remove the thUGA hat/plate/sticker, unsew the Polo emblem from their shirts, write TOOL on their heads, make them drink import and exotic beer insteard of Natural light/Keystone, go to their house and turn their TV completly off, sever ties with their automatic refilling bank account from ma and pa (spoiled), turn off the damn 150 db country music.
Finally, drag them behind an Ole Yellow bus to Eagle Creek and baptize them in the spirit of ERK. Then kick their ass all the way to Paulson so they can watch real football in person (not some vanilla form of a pro-style offense like that at ABAC North on TV).

Dang!!! xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 13th, 2009, 09:13 AM
We see a lot of it at NU.

Parents who went to NU bring their kids to games and the kids are wearing attire from that school called Boston College. We also have students to associate themselves more with Syracuse, Michigan, UNC and Duke than NU.

Because UMass is "the state school" but BC plays bigger time sports than UMass, NU or BU (hockey notwithstanding), many of the casual fans in Eastern MA root for the Beagles, regardless of where they graduated.

It's very predominant in CT. I have family members who graduated from NU, Central, etc. all of whom are UConn fans. That is THE STATE's TEAM, regardless of where you graduated.

Not for all residents of CT!! ;) :p :p Some of us actually see them as the UConVict Sled Dogs! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Gil Dobie
April 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I wear Nebraska or Minnesota stuff around the Twin Cities, but I'm a Bison fan and alum, and wear Bison gear, and support the Bison when they play such schools. I also have a degree from Nebraska Omaha, but was more of a Nebraska fan when I lived in the Cornhusker state.

Touchdown Yosef
April 13th, 2009, 09:29 AM

I completely understand where you are coming from and there is not much in this world that sets me off more than a scenario like you have described. I cannot deal with people like that, simply cannot. There is nothing worse than being at an App game and seeing someone in a UNC hat. I will treat the opposing team's fans with the utmost respect and offer them beer and food and shake their hands but an App student in UNC or duke gear will get ridiculed by me and at least 2 of my friends. I Hate it. If you go to an App game you wear Black and Gold. It should be a rule for admittance.

I have a friend who is an App grad along with his wife and yet they fly a huge UGA flag from their house. It is really his wife who is the fan but we ridicule them at every opportunity and will not enter their house while the flag is flying. It usually ends up on the ground.

I understand where you are coming from, no question. It sounds like you are an alumni and if your "friend" is a season ticket holder or gets his tickets from you I would revoke them unless he comes dressed appropriately or at least refuse to sit or talk to him while wearing blue. Thats what I would do, a complete shun and feel free to let others participate.

Touchdown Yosef
April 13th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Old college allegiances die or at least take a back seat once you choose the school you will attend. Your alma matter is first and then there is just everyone else.

Living in NC i hate it when someone asks me if I am a Duke or NC fan and I reply with Appalachian fan and don't think I let anyone tell me that doesn't count. I enjoy watching both teams play and I appreciate the rivalry and the tradition of the ACC but I am an Appalachian fan period the end.

BEAR
April 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I think the problem with most people who say they are fans of another school is that they were brainwashed to think that way:

In Arkansas:

1. Newspaper- The state paper cover the hogs everytime one sneezes. Everyday there is something stupid about them in it. UCA won the Southland (on the field) and the paper had a very very small article. ASU had a good year, but nothing. Plus the nearly criminal part of it is the paper is regionalized! People in south Arkansas never get the news about the success of the other universities in the state..only the h..o...g...(I can't say it, i'm so sick of hearing it.

2. TV- The local news stations...all of them...have their own versions of hog news, The Hog Zone, Razorback Report, and Razorback Nation. Usually every night one top story is about a Razorback player who farted or did something that isn't even close to newsworthy.

3. Radio- Every sports talk show has to rehash the same question for hours and hours. "We could have been this if this had happened." Yeah, maybe next year pig fans. xmadx

4. Merchandising- There are pig clothes everywhere! Cheap. Walmart will sell you a pig shirt for $3! (too much in my book for a washrag)

All of this combined with an 80k seat stadium, super rich boosters, and a slogan that states, "we're the flagship institution of the state" creates a zombie filled region of the U.S.

But what really bothers me is the moronic fans who say, "everyone in the state of Arkansas is a hog fan, if they're not they're traitors." Sound familiar?

I may not like Arkansas State, but they have a right to the same media attention as the pigs. As a Bear fan, I believe the same applies to them also. But the question is how can we change this slanted perception about athletics in this state? Henderston State usually has great basketball teams. Arkansas Tech usually does too! That's just to name a few. I agree with the main poster.

appmaj
April 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
that's just a typical N.C. duke fan right there. duke takes little to no students from state and most of the fans in the state have no reason or ties to be a dookie. retards.

it's like an american cheering for the opposing country's soccer team in the world cup.

duke = unamerican

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

I agree it makes me mad also when App grads are more concerned with those other in state teams.

I grew up a Carolina fan and still am to some extent. But one thing is for sure I am an Appalachian Fan first and foremost. There was no question when they played basketball in 2001! I will always pull for App. My cars are decked out in App gear.

813Jag
April 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I guess to some I'm a traitor, well that's all good. I follow the Jags where ever they play from east coast to west coast. even moving to Florida hasn't changed that fact. how many can say that?

Bulldog87
April 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I hated it when I was a student at SC State in the 80's seeing a few students wearing Clemson and USC shirts on campus. There's a grad from my days that tailgates with a big Clemson umbrella at home games. A few of our gameday crew have let this guy have it a few times over this terribly uncooth practice. Your friebd that said"Let's hope Duke never plays ASU' has some sort of inferioriority complex where Duke is concerened.

ncman071
April 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
i appreciate all of these replies but the one thing that i forgot to add in my original post, and this really makes my skin crawl... when he talks about Duke, he refers to them as "us" and "we"

like he'll say things like "WE just didn't get it done today against whoever...

just like one of the previous posters stated, i believe that if you graduated from that school, that is your team regardless of who you grew up pulling for.

i grew up an nc state fan and i want them to do well, but whenever App and State play you can bet your ass that I'm pulling as hard as i can for App to get the victory. Also, i don't really care if State loses. it doesn't bother me. When App loses it makes me sick.

To me, a traitor fan makes little sense. The ones that show up to App games wearing t shirts and hats and other gear representing other teams is like saying " i go App and all, but Duke or whoever is my real team"

I mean this guy is one of the worst, but i knew a couple other people that would rather sit in their dorm and watch an ACC game when App was playing at home. I mean damn, when i was there even during their 7-4, 6-5 seasons, i never missed a home game.

UNHWildCats
April 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Colonel William Tavington (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005042/): Tell me, Captain Wilkins, where do your loyalties lie?
Capt. Wilkins (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000284/): To Coach and Appalachian Mountaineers, sir.
Colonel William Tavington (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005042/): And why should I trust a man who'd betray his neighbors?
Capt. Wilkins (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000284/): Those neighbors of mine who stand against the Mountaineers deserve to die a traitor's death.
Colonel William Tavington (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005042/): We'll see.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

appmaj
April 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
i appreciate all of these replies but the one thing that i forgot to add in my original post, and this really makes my skin crawl... when he talks about Duke, he refers to them as "us" and "we"

like he'll say things like "WE just didn't get it done today against whoever...

just like one of the previous posters stated, i believe that if you graduated from that school, that is your team regardless of who you grew up pulling for.

i grew up an nc state fan and i want them to do well, but whenever App and State play you can bet your ass that I'm pulling as hard as i can for App to get the victory. Also, i don't really care if State loses. it doesn't bother me. When App loses it makes me sick.

To me, a traitor fan makes little sense. The ones that show up to App games wearing t shirts and hats and other gear representing other teams is like saying " i go App and all, but Duke or whoever is my real team"

I mean this guy is one of the worst, but i knew a couple other people that would rather sit in their dorm and watch an ACC game when App was playing at home. I mean damn, when i was there even during their 7-4, 6-5 seasons, i never missed a home game.

Im sure they get a lot more "we" when they win...

Just like my Red Sox "fan" friend, who without exception: "we" win and "they" lose.

Bill Hanson
April 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I didn't go to the University of New Hampshire..... but its the school in the state I am from.

People become fans of schools when they are young kids, long before they even send out college applications... Should they be required to stop rooting for a team they have rooted for since they were 7, 8 or 9 years old just because they attend a different school?

Should I be required to give up my love for the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and so on because I live in New York City now? (I know a few people on here wouldnt mind that :p)

Should Barack Obama become a Nationals fan now that he spends his days and nights in Washington?

You would swear off your love for Obama if he was a Yankee fan...right?

jaxstatealum
April 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM
It's the same at Jax State. There is never a home game in which there are more people wearing Alabama and Auburn stuff than JSU. Makes me sick!

One of the guys we tailgate with will actually stop folks and ask them if they know what school they're at, or worse scream "Wrong f@#%*&! city..."

I like the Dawgs of UGA, but I grew up in Georgia. I hope that at the FBS level they succeed, BUT I would NEVER support them over the Gamecocks. It's shameful...

gophoenix
April 13th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Same at Elon. The number of people who will pull for Maryland or Syracuse over Elon is sickening.

I have a friend who pulls for Duke over App all the time, and I lecture him about that all the time.

At least most of our number of traitors isn't as bad as the UTK people at ETSU.

UNHWildCats
April 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Hillary is a Yankee fan (sorta anyway) didn't stop me from being her biggest supporter on AGS

Touchdown Yosef
April 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Yes, they should or at least put it in the backseat. Professional sports are a different category, you don't graduate from Red Sox U. Different category and irrelevant to this situation in my opinion anyway.

813Jag
April 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I agree pro sports are different, but I root for where ever my money goes. And my money goes two places. Point blank and that doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Redwyn
April 13th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I started out a massive Duke fan, even spent a recruitment weekend with them in 04 during their final four with U Conn. Wore a Duke hat wherever I went, was just bonkers about that school.

Since I went to SBU instead though, I've drastically changed allegiances. I'll always have a Duke and U Pitt (was born in Pittsburgh) soft spot, but never over SBU. I even cheered Binghamton over Duke in the NCAA tourney. To Duke I'm a nameless fan. To SBU I'm an alumni and a former part of that school. I can understand that people have sentimental allegiances, but the alma mater should always have some pull.

jmufan999
April 13th, 2009, 01:36 PM
i've got that issue with a douche i work with. he's a big UVA fan (we both live in charlottesville), doesn't follow JMU AT ALL even though he's an alum. part of the deal with FCS football. i hate it too.

ASU
April 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM
It's no different that with our NFL team....we always get some fans of the other team that dress up and come to home games with the other teams gear on....and these are local people.

wkuhillhound
April 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I was a UK fan for a very long time until Western Kentucky University offered me a scholarship and ever since my allegiance has been to the Toppers and UK 2nd. UK and WKU have played twice since I graduated once in football and once in basketball and both times I bleed RED all the way. Give me a chance and I will stick to you like glue. :)

TCisMYhero
April 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'd just like to add fk the Hawkeyes.

BobcatTXST04
April 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
We have the exact same problem down here in San Marcos.

We are about 30 minutes south of UT, which means we see endless tons of Wronghorn crap all over the place.

Like the genetleman from UCA exclaimed about all the "pig zombies" that infect his state, we have Whorn Zombies and to a lesser extent Aggie Zombies.

1) Our own bookstore (the off-campus one) once sold Wronghorn window decals.

2) The stores in town like Wal-Mart will sell racks of Bobcat swag, but it will be behind the rows and rows of Wronghorn stuff.

3) I can count at least 4-5 people in a class of about 60 who on any given day are wearing that puke orange color.

4) We even have Alumni who decorate their homes, offices, and vehicles with every Wronghorn thing they can find.

5) People in Texas think that because that school is called the university OF Texas that this means it is mandatory for them to worship that school.

6) I even see people at our HOME games decked out in puke orange.

7) Likewise, I see people who think that just because A & M is maroon, that this means that they are the same school as us and wear their shirts to our home games.

I can see from others on this board though that we are certainly not alone in our suffering here in San Marcos. Apparently not even success on the football field (3 straight National Championships a la App. State) can drive away your treacherous fair weather fans.

Basically what I've started doing, and I would encourage others to do the same, is to write a short email letter to any store in your area that is selling the merchandise for your school and thank them for carrying it. Hopefully this *might* have a chance of encouraging them to carry more if enough people provide positive feedback. My thoughts are that if people start seeing a "sea" as it were of your school colors in the area, then you'll see more people wanting to jump onto the bandwagon.

4th and What?
April 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
i've got that issue with a douche i work with. he's a big UVA fan (we both live in charlottesville), doesn't follow JMU AT ALL even though he's an alum. part of the deal with FCS football. i hate it too.

Meh....this changed my opinion. Let the traitors burn.

supercat11
April 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
We have the exact same problem down here in San Marcos.

We are about 30 minutes south of UT, which means we see endless tons of Wronghorn crap all over the place.

Like the genetleman from UCA exclaimed about all the "pig zombies" that infect his state, we have Whorn Zombies and to a lesser extent Aggie Zombies.

1) Our own bookstore (the off-campus one) once sold Wronghorn window decals.

2) The stores in town like Wal-Mart will sell racks of Bobcat swag, but it will be behind the rows and rows of Wronghorn stuff.

3) I can count at least 4-5 people in a class of about 60 who on any given day are wearing that puke orange color.

4) We even have Alumni who decorate their homes, offices, and vehicles with every Wronghorn thing they can find.

5) People in Texas think that because that school is called the university OF Texas that this means it is mandatory for them to worship that school.

6) I even see people at our HOME games decked out in puke orange.

7) Likewise, I see people who think that just because A & M is maroon, that this means that they are the same school as us and wear their shirts to our home games.

I can see from others on this board though that we are certainly not alone in our suffering here in San Marcos. Apparently not even success on the football field (3 straight National Championships a la App. State) can drive away your treacherous fair weather fans.

Basically what I've started doing, and I would encourage others to do the same, is to write a short email letter to any store in your area that is selling the merchandise for your school and thank them for carrying it. Hopefully this *might* have a chance of encouraging them to carry more if enough people provide positive feedback. My thoughts are that if people start seeing a "sea" as it were of your school colors in the area, then you'll see more people wanting to jump onto the bandwagon.

All the wronghorn stuff is annoying for sure. But I have noticed fewer people wearing that ugly orange each semester since I started attending (in fall 07). Hopefully it will keep getting better and better.