PDA

View Full Version : CAA in 2011

Wildcat80
April 11th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Has it been decided yet where ODU & GSU will be put in the CAA? I assume South and either Delaware, Nova or Towson move to the North. Although since they will both be weaker to start maybe one gets put in the North for a few years. Any decision on this? Or Thoughts?

UNHWildCats
April 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I wonder if they wouldnt just go and invite a team like Albany in 2011 and make 3 five team divisions... play all 4 in your division and 2 against each other divisison on a rotating basis.

North
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine
Northeastern
Rhode Island

Central
Hofstra
Villanova
Delaware
Towson
Albany?

South
Georgia State
Old Dominion
William & Mary
James Madison
Richmond

I didnt put much effort into splitting the divisions, Im sure they could be worked around several ways.

Jackman
April 12th, 2009, 06:18 AM
New Divisions haven't been decided yet. Every proposal I've heard of has ODU in the South, but one has GSU in the North, because everyone has to fly there anyway. Villanova is the northernmost of the CAA South, but there's resistance to splitting them from Delaware. Towson would be the next northernmost if the CAA refuses to separate Nova and Delaware, but Towson is only within realistic driving distance of one more CAA North member than Georgia State is.

Smartest proposal I've seen on the boards:

North: 5 New England teams
Middle: Hofstra, Villanova, Delaware and Towson
South: 4 Virginia teams + Georgia State

Don't need a 15th team, the Middle teams are near both the North and South and can play an extra interdivisional game without any hardship. Plus with odd numbers it's a huge pain to arrange late season non-conference games for the odd one out each week. Not sure the CAA is considering a 3 Division alignment though.

But the title of this thread should be "CAA in 2012" (ODU starts conference play in 2011, GSU in 2012). In 2011 I would assume that they'll just add ODU to the South.

93henfan
April 12th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Is anyone else under the assumption that GStU will be enjoying a cup of coffee with the CAA and then moving somewhere else quickly? If so, why would it matter much where we temporarily stick them?

paward
April 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
The cup of tea invite is Ga State's plan, but as we all know some plans are not carried out as soon as you would like. I for one will support the program being in the Atlanta area. I do not think the move up will happen as fast as some may think. It is a strange market in Atlanta/Georgia. On paper all the lights should be green for the move to FBS. In theory it is not. Georgia State will be in a FCS conference for at least five years. Anything could happen in that time. I am no expert on the subject, I am one of those that feel Georgia State should play football in the SoCon.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM
New Divisions haven't been decided yet. Every proposal I've heard of has ODU in the South, but one has GSU in the North, because everyone has to fly there anyway. Villanova is the northernmost of the CAA South, but there's resistance to splitting them from Delaware. Towson would be the next northernmost if the CAA refuses to separate Nova and Delaware, but Towson is only within realistic driving distance of one more CAA North member than Georgia State is.

Smartest proposal I've seen on the boards:

North: 5 New England teams
Middle: Hofstra, Villanova, Delaware and Towson
South: 4 Virginia teams + Georgia State

Don't need a 15th team, the Middle teams are near both the North and South and can play an extra interdivisional game without any hardship. Plus with odd numbers it's a huge pain to arrange late season non-conference games for the odd one out each week. Not sure the CAA is considering a 3 Division alignment though.

But the title of this thread should be "CAA in 2012" (ODU starts conference play in 2011, GSU in 2012). In 2011 I would assume that they'll just add ODU to the South.

Are you proposing that each Middle school play a division opponent twice each year? It does seem scheduling would be easier with 15 teams so everyone had the 4-2-2 cycle. And please nothing like those old A-10 schedules where a game was OOC for one team and in conference for the other. xoopsx xnonox xnonox

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Is anyone else under the assumption that GStU will be enjoying a cup of coffee with the CAA and then moving somewhere else quickly? If so, why would it matter much where we temporarily stick them?

Waiting for Tribe4SF......................;) xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

I agree with you 4SF!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 12th, 2009, 09:32 AM
The cup of tea invite is Ga State's plan, but as we all know some plans are not carried out as soon as you would like. I for one will support the program being in the Atlanta area. I do not think the move up will happen as fast as some may think. It is a strange market in Atlanta/Georgia. On paper all the lights should be green for the move to FBS. In theory it is not. Georgia State will be in a FCS conference for at least five years. Anything could happen in that time. I am no expert on the subject, I am one of those that feel Georgia State should play football in the SoCon.

From a cost standpoint, especially in these economic times, the SoCon makes a lot more sense. Would the SoCon take them for all sports? I'm guessing that the Big South would. I doubt you'd see them playing all other sports in the CAA and football in the SoCon.

Reading the GaStU posters on the CAAZone, they don't appear real anxious for multiple plane trips North. And they've expressed the opinion that playing more regional opponents would help them grow their program. Maybe the economics and their drive for FBS will result in them going the independent route or to re-think their all sports conference?

Somehow, someway down the road, I still think we'll see an evolution toward a conference of JMU, ODU, App State, East Carolina, GaSoU, GaStU, Marshall, Jacksonville State and a couple more from Charlotte, Middle TN, Troy, and maybe even EKU, WKU, Youngstown State, Temple and UMass. Sorry, JMHO but I don't think Delaware would be interested in this conference. xtwocentsx

Tribe4SF
April 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Is that my cue?

I've made my thoughts on GSU clear on CAAZone. If their plan is to go FBS as rapidly as possible, then we should not let them play CAA football. To have them in the league for five years, or whatever, will require much accomodation from everyone else. Let them play as an independent until they move up. They can build a good FCS schedule with Socon, MEAC, OVC, Big South, SWAC, and PFL teams, and their travel costs will be considerably less than flying to four CAA opponents each year.

As an independent, they could probably build a schedule with seven home games each year, play Georgia or Georgia Tech, and have three drives to other FCS schools. If FBS is their plan, this would make more sense than locking in to an expensive CAA schedule.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Is that my cue?

I've made my thoughts on GSU clear on CAAZone. If their plan is to go FBS as rapidly as possible, then we should not let them play CAA football. To have them in the league for five years, or whatever, will require much accomodation from everyone else. Let them play as an independent until they move up. They can build a good FCS schedule with Socon, MEAC, OVC, Big South, SWAC, and PFL teams, and their travel costs will be considerably less than flying to four CAA opponents each year.

As an independent, they could probably build a schedule with seven home games each year, play Georgia or Georgia Tech, and have three drives to other FCS schools. If FBS is their plan, this would make more sense than locking in to an expensive CAA schedule.

Yes sir, mon ami!!!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Jackman
April 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Are you proposing that each Middle school play a division opponent twice each year?
No, 2 Middles play one extra North game, while the other 2 Middles play one extra South game. So it's:

North plays 4 North, 2 Middle, 2 South
South plays 4 South, 2 Middle, 2 North
Middle plays 3 Middle, 3 North/South, 2 North/South, alternating each year or two.

Compare that to a 2 Division North-South structure:

North plays 6 North, 2 South.
South plays 6 South, 2 North.

A North team would go 7 years between hosting each team in the South division in that structure, whereas in the 3 division configuration that same North team would host 12 of the 13 other CAA members within any 4 year span. I think the Middle members get every CAA member in within 4 years, which is the same schedule as in the current 12 team configuration.

UNHWildCats
April 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
No, 2 Middles play one extra North game, while the other 2 Middles play one extra South game. So it's:

North plays 4 North, 2 Middle, 2 South
South plays 4 South, 2 Middle, 2 North
Middle plays 3 Middle, 3 North/South, 2 North/South, alternating each year or two.

Compare that to a 2 Division North-South structure:

North plays 6 North, 2 South.
South plays 6 South, 2 North.

A North team would go 7 years between hosting each team in the South division in that structure, whereas in the 3 division configuration that same North team would host 12 of the 13 other CAA members within any 4 year span. I think the Middle members get every CAA member in within 4 years, which is the same schedule as in the current 12 team configuration.
The math wont add up though...

Lets assume a season is the one the middles play 3 against the North... thats a total of 12 games... but the North is only suppose to play 2 against the middles or a total of 10 games.... where are these other two games coming from? means two north teams would only play 1 south team.

Jackman
April 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Everyone would continue to play 8 conference games total like they currently do. Here's an example of how the Middle Division schedules would look:

Hofstra: Nova, @Del, Tow -- @Maine, UNH, @NU -- JMU, @Rich
Villanova: @Hof, Del, @Tow -- Maine, @UNH, NU -- @JMU, Rich
Delaware: Hof, @Nova, Tow -- @UMass, URI -- @WM, ODU, @GSU
Towson: @Hof, Nova, @Del -- UMass, @URI -- WM, @ODU, GSU

The pods could be better balanced, but that's the basic structure. No North or South plays more than 2 Middies.

UNHWildCats
April 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Everyone would continue to play 8 conference games total like they currently do. Here's an example of how the Middle Division schedules would look:

Hofstra: Nova, @Del, Tow -- @Maine, UNH, @NU -- JMU, @Rich
Villanova: @Hof, Del, @Tow -- Maine, @UNH, NU -- @JMU, Rich
Delaware: Hof, @Nova, Tow -- @UMass, URI -- @WM, ODU, @GSU
Towson: @Hof, Nova, @Del -- UMass, @URI -- WM, @ODU, GSU

The pods could be better balanced, but that's the basic structure. No North or South plays more than 2 Middies.
i see now... ignore my previous post.

whitey
April 12th, 2009, 03:18 PM
That proposal definitely makes the most sense. I wonder if they actually go with it...

Reign of Terrier
April 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Here's and idea--lend the Socon a couple teams that way we can split the conference in two in which case enabling us to have 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs every year!xthumbsupx

whitey
April 12th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Here's and idea--lend the Socon a couple teams that way we can split the conference in two in which case enabling us to have 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs every year!xthumbsupx

Took you guys 16 posts to come up with this? You guys are slacking these days. xlolx

T-Dog
April 12th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Took you guys 16 posts to come up with this? You guys are slacking these days. xlolx

It's the off-season. We're all training for tailgating in the fall. xthumbsupx

One thing the CAA is still behind the SoCon in, and that's tailgating. xnodx

Husky Alum
April 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Is that my cue?

What he said.

Reign of Terrier
April 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM

I was going to put the CAA in 2011 would be full of babyeaters but was afraid someone would find that offensive...so I didn't

Scumdog0331
April 12th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Is that my cue?

What about playoffs? I think they think that they can earn a couple playoff bids during their cup o' coffee in the CAA.

Wildcat80
April 13th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I guess I'm a traditionalist cause I still prefer a "League" where everyone plays each team and you end up with a true League Champion. 3 divisions with 4 teams does not do it. crossover games without every team playing does not do it. we would never have a league playoff with the FCS playoffs the main prize. Also I'd bring Stony Brook in before Albany cause they are already at 63.

runHENrun
April 13th, 2009, 04:04 AM

Maybe so, but at the very least I see three teams getting in every year, the 2 CAA's and App St.:D

CRAZY_DANE
April 13th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I guess I'm a traditionalist cause I still prefer a "League" where everyone plays each team and you end up with a true League Champion. 3 divisions with 4 teams does not do it. crossover games without every team playing does not do it. we would never have a league playoff with the FCS playoffs the main prize. Also I'd bring Stony Brook in before Albany cause they are already at 63.

Albany is not at 63 schollies because the NEC has a cap. As soon as Albany can find a perminent home at full schollie, they'll also be at 63.

Faulting Albany for not being at 63 schollies when their conference prohibits them from offering that number of schollies is like faulting a pro team for not going over their salary cap. It's out of the team's control.

Albany could have gone independent but the thought process is that it makes more sense to be patient and win and therefore conferences will notice. Apparently, winning doesn't matter; conference jumping does.

Monarch Nation
April 13th, 2009, 07:58 AM
It's the off-season. We're all training for tailgating in the fall. xthumbsupx

One thing the CAA is still behind the SoCon in, and that's tailgating. xnodx

One of our guys put on a spread at the spring game that just might even the playing field. Of course it won't officially count until 2011. xsmiley_wix

Tribe4SF
April 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM
What about playoffs? I think they think that they can earn a couple playoff bids during their cup o' coffee in the CAA.

Their odds of making the playoffs early in their history are probably better as an independent. If they build their own schedule, getting to 8-3 will be easier than going through the CAA grindhouse....and alot cheaper as well.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM

I think most would prefer that setup, but getting a viable league where you play a true round robin and have a champion hasn't evolved for reasons that have been regurgitated on this forum multiple times. I have a few versions of that "viable league" in my mind, but I don't see any of them happening in the near future. Short of that I like this three division set up since from UNH's point of view keeping a similar scheduling with Villanova, Delaware and Towson is a good thing. Even though I'd miss the tailgating opts with Uncle Buck, losing a couple of games with Hofstra is a good compromise to have two games a year with the Middle schools.

Me, I'd bring in Albany first because they remained loyal to their league and to Northeast football. And it's a lot easier drive to Albany than it is to Stony Brook!

danefan
April 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I think most would prefer that setup, but getting a viable league where you play a true round robin and have a champion hasn't evolved for reasons that have been regurgitated on this forum multiple times. I have a few versions of that "viable league" in my mind, but I don't see any of them happening in the near future. Short of that I like this three division set up since from UNH's point of view keeping a similar scheduling with Villanova, Delaware and Towson is a good thing. Even though I'd miss the tailgating opts with Uncle Buck, losing a couple of games with Hofstra is a good compromise to have two games a year with the Middle schools.

Me, I'd bring in Albany first because they remained loyal to their league and to Northeast football. And it's a lot easier drive to Albany than it is to Stony Brook!

If it comes down to Albany vs. SBU it will be a tough choice. A lot of things could (and will) happen at Albany if a spot in the CAA were offered (those include an upgraded game facility and full scholarship football). Those two things SBU already has.

The major draw to Albany over SBU would be 4 things: (1) Albany has just flat out been a more succesful program at every level (see Hofstra scores from last year as a micro-comparison); (2) Bob Ford (the winningest active FCS coach); (3) Hofstra would fight against SBU; and (4) SBU is not as accessible as Albany and Albany has a greater prescense in the local media market (1 million + people) than SBU will ever have in NYC.

SBU has the clear edge on (1) gameday facilities and (2) scholarships right now. Both of which would have to be fixed at Albany for them to be considered.

And back on the topic of the thread - I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that either SBU or Albany will be in the CAA in 2011.

No way they are adding a 15th team. Split the divisioins at 7 a piece for a few years until George State and ODU move on to FBS football.

Cobblestone
April 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I wonder if they wouldnt just go and invite a team like Albany in 2011 and make 3 five team divisions... play all 4 in your division and 2 against each other divisison on a rotating basis.

North
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine
Northeastern
Rhode Island

Central
Hofstra
Villanova
Delaware
Towson
Albany?

South
Georgia State
Old Dominion
William & Mary
James Madison
Richmond

I didnt put much effort into splitting the divisions, Im sure they could be worked around several ways.

Sounds reasonable. I think for travel purposes it makes good economical sense.

DFW HOYA
April 13th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Only 15 teams? Add Fordham for an even 16... xeyebrowx

mainejeff
April 13th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I think that the CAA HAS to consider the 3 division format for economic reasons if nothing else. Seems like most fans are downplaying the economy and the financial distress that these schools are under. As fans we have different priorities than school administrators.......xnodx;)

jmufan999
April 13th, 2009, 01:34 PM
jesus christ these threads get long in a hurry. i'm not reading all of them, so if i repeat something... well, i guess you'll just have to deal.

maybe i'm not understanding something, but wouldn't a 3-division CAA open up the possibility of a THREE way tie for the conference title? we can go through "oh well, we'll have a tiebreaker for this, and a tiebreaker for that"..... the way it is, we frequently have a split champ. so now we're going to have a three way tie? how does that help? look, i like the fact that you're (meaning, whoever proposed this) thinking outside the box, but i've never heard of any conference in any college sport doing something like this.... and i think there's probably a reason for that. because it's not feasible.

danefan
April 13th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Only 15 teams? Add Fordham for an even 16... xeyebrowx

That's a good point. If Fordham leaves the PL, Fordham immediately beocmes the frontrunner for an associate membership in the CAA, if one were to become available.

The candidates seem to only include Albany and Stony Brook right now. Fordham's academics, history and all-sports affiliation in the A10 would trump whatever Albany and SBU have to offer, IMO.

UNHWildCats
April 13th, 2009, 01:39 PM
jesus christ these threads get long in a hurry. i'm not reading all of them, so if i repeat something... well, i guess you'll just have to deal.

maybe i'm not understanding something, but wouldn't a 3-division CAA open up the possibility of a THREE way tie for the conference title? we can go through "oh well, we'll have a tiebreaker for this, and a tiebreaker for that"..... the way it is, we frequently have a split champ. so now we're going to have a three way tie? how does that help? look, i like the fact that you're (meaning, whoever proposed this) thinking outside the box, but i've never heard of any conference in any college sport doing something like this.... and i think there's probably a reason for that. because it's not feasible.
Does it matter? Lets assume each division has a 7-1 team... unless they totally lay an egg out of conference there getting into the playoffs.

FUrams7
April 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
please feel free to throw Fordham into the future CAA conference re-alignment mix.

unfornuately, i dont think the PL will go full scholly anytime soon. as a former fordham player and a current gridiron club member.. the CAA would be a nice fit.. plus we need to be full scholly by 2011 - since UConn is scheduled.

blukeys
April 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM
please feel free to throw Fordham into the future CAA conference re-alignment mix.

unfornuately, i dont think the PL will go full scholly anytime soon. as a former fordham player and a current gridiron club member.. the CAA would be a nice fit.. plus we need to be full scholly by 2011 - since UConn is scheduled.

I for one would welcome FU with open arms (the NY varietyxsmiley_wix)

Getting a team that generates coverage in NYC would a a big plus for the CAA.

mainejeff
April 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Conference USA did it.

Who cares......if there is a 3-way tie, then they are called CAA Co-Champions and draw straws for the autobid.......the other 2 would get at-large bids anyway.

Wildcat80
April 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
North
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine
Northeastern
Rhode Island
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Albany
Fordham

Eight Conference Games-ONE League Champion. Three OOC games. FCS playoffs-probably 3+ would qualify. Easy travel for teams & fans. Top media markets of Boston & NYC. From a football-only standpoint there's ALOT to like. Changes are a coming.....

mainejeff
April 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM
North
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine
Northeastern
Rhode Island
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Albany
Fordham

Eight Conference Games-ONE League Champion. Three OOC games. FCS playoffs-probably 3+ would qualify. Easy travel for teams & fans. Top media markets of Boston & NYC. From a football-only standpoint there's ALOT to like. Changes are a coming.....

Calling UNH_Alum_In_CT.........come in UNH_Alum_In_CT.

xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

danefan
April 13th, 2009, 02:34 PM
North
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine
Northeastern
Rhode Island
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Albany
Fordham

My dream......however there are a few problems:

1. Who will administer it?
2. Hofstra and Northeastern would already be in a FCS football sponsoring conference and wouldn't then become an affiliate in different football conference - there is some precedent but only because of funding differences (Davidson - PFL).
3. UMass won't voluntarily give up its affiliation with Villanova and Delaware.
4. UNH will only go for it if UMass goes for it.

UNHWildCats
April 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM
My dream......however there are a few problems:

1. Who will administer it?
2. Hofstra and Northeastern would already be in a FCS football sponsoring conference and wouldn't then become an affiliate in different football conference - there is some precedent but only because of funding differences (Davidson - PFL).
3. UMass won't voluntarily give up its affiliation with Villanova and Delaware.
4. UNH will only go for it if UMass goes for it.
I agree... UMAss wont voluntarilly go and UNH wont go if UMass doesnt

Jackman
April 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM

I don't think the number of divisions has any relation to whether tiebreakers are good or bad. We could have a 3 way tie even if we had no divisions at all, just one big lump of 14 teams. The main thing the divisions do is assist with cost-efficient scheduling and maintaining natural rivalries. We're not going to have a CAA playoffs or championship game regardless, so it doesn't really matter if we have 2 divisions, 3 divisions or 7 divisions. What matters is which configuration provides the best balanced schedule, given the limitations of an 8 game season (in-conference).

And if we end up with 3 teams tied at the top, they'll figure out which one is best in the FCS playoffs.

Seawolf97
April 13th, 2009, 08:09 PM
North
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine
Northeastern
Rhode Island
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Albany
Fordham

This looks good and has lots of potential. Seeing it happen is something else.xconfusedx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Calling UNH_Alum_In_CT.........come in UNH_Alum_In_CT.

xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

I could more than live with that group. Were you expecting a different reply? Now, the reality is the stuff that Danefan already mentioned. Or were you cueing me to say what Danefan did?

How do you get that league formed Jeff?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM
North
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine
Northeastern
Rhode Island
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Albany
Fordham

Do you have some inside information that Hofstra and Northeastern are leaving the CAA for their all sports affiliation? They sure aren't playing football as affiliates in another league as long as the CAA sponsors an FCS football league. And some inside info that the financials will result in UMass accepting this league? Those are pretty big changes that would need to happen!

Uncle Buck
April 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Do you have some inside information that Hofstra and Northeastern are leaving the CAA for their all sports affiliation? They sure aren't playing football as affiliates in another league as long as the CAA sponsors an FCS football league. And some inside info that the financials will result in UMass accepting this league? Those are pretty big changes that would need to happen!

No matter what happens down the road, Hofstra would remain a football member of the CAA. Then again, i don't think HU is going to pull out of their all sports relationship with the CAA. xtwocentsx

blukeys
April 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM
No matter what happens down the road, Hofstra would remain a football member of the CAA. Then again, i don't think HU is going to pull out of their all sports relationship with the CAA. xtwocentsx

Considering the Lacrosse, Men's Bball, Women's Bball, and the volleyball success of the CAA I guess not. The CAA has made money for all of the schools (Thank You George Mason). More importantly they have directed it to all sports (unlike the reprobates at the A-10)

Appfan_in_CAAland
April 14th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I vote for Northeastern and all the football-only members (except maybe Richmond) leaving, and adding Appalachian State (which I've advocated for almost 10 years).

Uncle Buck
April 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Considering the Lacrosse, Men's Bball, Women's Bball, and the volleyball success of the CAA I guess not. The CAA has made money for all of the schools (Thank You George Mason). More importantly they have directed it to all sports (unlike the reprobates at the A-10)

I don't claim to have inside info, but from everything i hear around HU, they are very, very happy with the CAA. Since football came over from the A-10, it would have to be one sweet deal to entice the university to breakoff its relationship.

As for the way the money works, you make a good point.

mainejeff
April 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I could more than live with that group. Were you expecting a different reply? Now, the reality is the stuff that Danefan already mentioned. Or were you cueing me to say what Danefan did?

How do you get that league formed Jeff?

I was cueing you......thought that you would show up a bit earlier. ;)

Wildcat80
April 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I vote for Northeastern and all the football-only members (except maybe Richmond) leaving, and adding Appalachian State (which I've advocated for almost 10 years).

The CAA & SoCon are very tough schedules now. Putting the best teams together in one conference would only hurt us get to playoffs--which is the big prize. Plus it would involve alot more travel--there's no easy way to get to Boone! If App does not go FBS I'd think a conference of the bigger state schools in football in the Southeast would be next. I hope we get to visit in the playoffs!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM
The CAA & SoCon are very tough schedules now. Putting the best teams together in one conference would only hurt us get to playoffs--which is the big prize. Plus it would involve alot more travel--there's no easy way to get to Boone! If App does not go FBS I'd think a conference of the bigger state schools in football in the Southeast would be next. I hope we get to visit in the playoffs!

UNH wouldn't be in Appfan_IN_CAAland's version of the CAA Football Conference. ;)

You're on the same wave length as me though about the bigger state schools in the Southeast. See my prior post about JMU, ODU, App, ECU, GaSoU, GaStU, Charlotte, Marshall, Jax St., Middle TN, EKU, WKU, Troy, ...................... That's why I want the CAA to get bigger if necessary so that the schools that should be together in the Northeast will remain together when that SE Public conference eventually forms.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I was cueing you......thought that you would show up a bit earlier. ;)

What can I say, some days I'm real active and others nowhere to be found! ;) :D

Uncle Buck
April 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
What can I say, some days I'm real active and others nowhere to be found! ;) :D

Probably off enjoying a cold one. I thought of you the other day. I had a Blue Point Toasted from the tap, first one (the BP toasted that is) in about 6 months. xbeerchugx

blukeys
April 14th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Probably off enjoying a cold one. I thought of you the other day. I had a Blue Point Toasted from the tap, first one (the BP toasted that is) in about 6 months. xbeerchugx

LOOK OUT!!! Between Uncle Buck and Unh in Conn. this thread could degenerate into a discussion of East coast Micro brews. Instead of complaining I will just go to the frig. and drink another one!xthumbsupx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM
LOOK OUT!!! Between Uncle Buck and Unh in Conn. this thread could degenerate into a discussion of East coast Micro brews. Instead of complaining I will just go to the frig. and drink another one!xthumbsupx

Hey now, I showed constraint yesterday and didn't let the thread go off on that tangent. ;) :D

BTW, I do recall you enjoying the contents of a growler that I brought to the Tub a couple of years ago! xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

4th and What?
April 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM

With Dogfish Head brewing Palo Santo Marron year round now instead of just seasonally, there is no more discussion. They've won.

Wildcat80
April 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM
UNH wouldn't be in Appfan_IN_CAAland's version of the CAA Football Conference. ;)

You're on the same wave length as me though about the bigger state schools in the Southeast. See my prior post about JMU, ODU, App, ECU, GaSoU, GaStU, Charlotte, Marshall, Jax St., Middle TN, EKU, WKU, Troy, ...................... That's why I want the CAA to get bigger if necessary so that the schools that should be together in the Northeast will remain together when that SE Public conference eventually forms.

Does not matter to me, though we are football only, I'm more interested in a True North Conference--especially if northeast schools like Albany & Fordham commit to 63 schollies and need a home conference. 8 conference games, one league champion, an FBS game and FCS playoffs---yeah that's the ticket!xnodx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Does not matter to me, though we are football only, I'm more interested in a True North Conference--especially if northeast schools like Albany & Fordham commit to 63 schollies and need a home conference. 8 conference games, one league champion, an FBS game and FCS playoffs---yeah that's the ticket!xnodx

Who would belong to your True North Conference and who will administer it?

If you say America East, please explain how and why that would happen when by all accounts they've screwed the pooch twice. If this league includes Northeastern or Hofstra, please explain how they do so while in the CAA for all sports. If it includes UMass, please explain why they would leave the CAA Football League and join this conference. If those three schools aren't in your conference, please explain why it would be good for UNH.

And if this is starting to hijack the thread, go over to the UNH Pro Boards Forum and start a thread and we'll discuss the UNH point of view.

NU Hound29
April 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
If this league includes Northeastern or Hofstra, please explain how they do so while in the CAA for all sports.

The same way NU and UNH (etc..) are in different conferences for Hockey...

Uncle Buck
April 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Who would belong to your True North Conference and who will administer it?

If you say America East, please explain how and why that would happen when by all accounts they've screwed the pooch twice. If this league includes Northeastern or Hofstra, please explain how they do so while in the CAA for all sports. If it includes UMass, please explain why they would leave the CAA Football League and join this conference. If those three schools aren't in your conference, please explain why it would be good for UNH.

And if this is starting to hijack the thread, go over to the UNH Pro Boards Forum and start a thread and we'll discuss the UNH point of view.

It's a slippery slope my friends. I just don't see HU going anywhere away from the CAA unless it was a deal that is too good to be true.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
The same way NU and UNH (etc..) are in different conferences for Hockey...

Not the same at all since in hockey the all sports conference for NU and UNH doesn't have a hockey league. As long as NU and HU are all sports members of the CAA and there is a CAA Football League then I have to believe it will be mandated they play their football in the CAA Football League.

Wildcat80
April 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
IMO if the CAA continues its southern expansion and there are Northern teams such as Albany, Fordham, Stony Brook etc looking for a Northern football conference UNH & others need to think about what is best---for some of the reasons cited. Stony Brook has clearly invested in a football future. Has Northeastern? I understand it is more difficult for conference members. But not impossible eg nova, gtown, richmond etc. IMO travel costs for nonFBS games are & will continue to be a big deal for budgets. We are not BC in the ACC. Again changes are a coming....

Jackman
April 15th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Adding more southern teams would actually mean less travel for Northern teams if we remain in a two division alignment. Right now in a 6+6 division format, we sometimes play two road games in the CAA South per year. If when ODU and GSU join we switch to a 7+7 format with Villanova moving north, we will play only one road game in the CAA South per year. And if for some crazy reason we expanded further to add App State and Georgia Southern for a 8+8 format, we would move Delaware north and play only 1 road game in the South every other year. There's a problem with this, but it ain't the travel.

The travel cost concerns are so overblown. Our stupid baseball teams play about 20 long distance games per season. We can't afford to play a single long distance game in football? Why would UMass leave a good situation to join the Secret Underground Nearly Invisible League playing only regional opponents in their high school-like stadiums? Just to get out of a single plane trip? It doesn't make sense. We'd probably just end up having to schedule long distance non-conference games, because all the nearby opponents would already be in our conference.

Wildcat80
April 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=Jackman;1331039]Adding more southern teams would actually mean less travel for Northern teams if we remain in a two division alignment. Right now in a 6+6 division format, we sometimes play two road games in the CAA South per year. If when ODU and GSU join we switch to a 7+7 format with Villanova moving north, we will play only one road game in the CAA South per year. And if for some crazy reason we expanded further to add App State and Georgia Southern for a 8+8 format, we would move Delaware north and play only 1 road game in the South every other year. There's a problem with this, but it ain't the travel.

I agree 100% that nova & de ARE northern teams so with them travel is clearly different than to atlanta. maybe its just me but being in a "league" that does not play every team and does not have a playoff is not really a league.

JMU1992
April 21st, 2009, 02:25 PM

Ga State is not going FBS any time soon. Their president has even stated that there is no way they could pay for the costs of being a FBS program. I could see a move to the Southern at some point, but not FBS

Uncle Buck
April 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM

Says you!

Husky Alum
April 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Is that my cue?

Tribe, you're pretty unclear. Sorry, but you need to be a bit more direct. xnonoxxnonoxxnonox