PDA

View Full Version : Great article on origins of ODU football.

Tribe4SF
April 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
The Virginian Pilot has been doing a terrific job of covering the rebirth of ODU football. This article is among their best.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/odus-footballs-past-will-meet-present-handoff

Wildcat80
April 11th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Who will be ODU's greatest rival--w&m or richmond?

Monarch Nation
April 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Of the two I'd say William & Mary. We were born of William & Mary, play them in other sports, and the two universities are about 40 miles from each other.

While UR is the current NC, W&M will probably get the crowd going better.

We almost played the Tribe this year, then somebody took the bone out of our head and we got out of that sure shellacking and replaced it with a game that a new program has a chance of beating.

Monarch History
April 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM

W&M and JMU will be our primary rivals when we start CAA play in 2011.

DX Man
April 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Great article and video! Should be an inspiration to the current team.

93henfan
April 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Of the two I'd say William & Mary. We were born of William & Mary, play them in other sports, and the two universities are about 40 miles from each other.

While UR is the current NC, W&M will probably get the crowd going better.

We almost played the Tribe this year, then somebody took the bone out of our head and we got out of that sure shellacking and replaced it with a game that a new program has a chance of beating.

Nothing better for seeding a rivalry than one team thumping the other to start. It would be much sweeter when you get your first victory over them and would help you mark your progress against a standard measure.

Tribe4SF
April 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Nothing better for seeding a rivalry than one team thumping the other to start. It would be much sweeter when you get your first victory over them and would help you mark your progress against a standard measure.

The series will start in 2010 with the Tribe traveling to Foreman Field for the first meeting. Fitting that it begins there, as W&M used to play often in the Oyster Bowl at Foreman. We had a classic with East Carolina there in '77, when Tom Rozantz broke free down the visitor sideline and was headed to a long TD run only to be tackled inside the 20 by the retired ECU coach who came off the sideline and nailed him. Penalty put the ball inside the 10....W&M scored, and went on to win 21-17.

paward
April 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
The series will start in 2010 with the Tribe traveling to Foreman Field for the first meeting. Fitting that it begins there, as W&M used to play often in the Oyster Bowl at Foreman. We had a classic with East Carolina there in '77, when Tom Rozantz broke free down the visitor sideline and was headed to a long TD run only to be tackled inside the 20 by the retired ECU coach who came off the sideline and nailed him. Penalty put the ball inside the 10....W&M scored, and went on to win 21-17.

What happen to the coach?

Monarch History
April 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM
What happen to the coach?

He had been long retired. If I am not mistaken he was in his 60's when this occured. I remember that game and that the whole stadium was in shock when this happened. What was even more shocking was who it was.xlolx

Tribe4SF
April 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
The coach was fine. They picked him up, dusted him off, and he went about grumbling, and cursing from behind the bench. He took Rozantz out with a great hit right around the knees.

Dukie95
April 13th, 2009, 07:30 AM

I'd love it if the CAA considered ODU to be JMU's rival and made that our final game of the season. Everyone else gets to play a long-standing rival, and we have Towson by process of elimination.

Althought the bye before the playoffs is nice. xsmiley_wix

Monarch Nation
April 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I'd love it if the CAA considered ODU to be JMU's rival and made that our final game of the season. Everyone else gets to play a long-standing rival, and we have Towson by process of elimination.

Althought the bye before the playoffs is nice. xsmiley_wix

xlolx

That would be fun, and before too long you'd actually have to put forth an effort.