PDA

View Full Version : Direction good for I-AA?

putter
November 28th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I-AA has had it's historical powers, GSU, YSU, EKU, and Montana but do you think with newer teams making the playoffs (Texas St., Hampton, Cal Poly,) that the national fan base will grow and give I-AA more power and clout with the NCAA due to a larger population base being I-AA fans?

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I-AA has had it's historical powers, GSU, YSU, EKU, and Montana but do you think with newer teams making the playoffs (Texas St., Hampton, Cal Poly,) that the national fan base will grow and give I-AA more power and clout with the NCAA due to a larger population base being I-AA fans?
I think it's great, especially because of where these newer schools are. California, Texas and a HBCU... those are some pretty big markets. If we were talking about a Holy Cross or Western Carolina or Idaho State I wouldn't be as sure (no offense to any school).

TXST_CAT
November 28th, 2005, 02:33 PM
We at TXST have a great opportunity, in the fact we are right smack in the heart of Texas. Our challenge is competting with the Texas Powerhouse of UT Football. The good news is TXST has recieved lots of love from the press throughout Texas and even has UT radio talking Bobcat football. I think the good showing at A&M helped as well. :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

buckp
November 28th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Yes....it's good to bring up some new blood for I-AA playoffs. Everyone learns more about the different schools all in I-AA, increases the overall fan base and creates a bigger national market....:hurray:

I knew very little of Hampton, Cal Poly or even Richmond just a few years ago...:(

mainejeff
November 28th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately, the downside of a Texas State or Cal-Poly advancing deeper (or winning it all) is the inevitable talk of moving to I-A that will accompany their success by some big-headed fans and administrators........ :rolleyes:

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 04:31 PM

puttsman,
I hate to be a pessimist here, but I say VERY LITTLE changes. One of our esteemed fellow posters here exclaimed recently that I-AA is "too niche-y". I agree. That will hamper I-AA's prominence, media markets or no media markets.

I may be WAAAAAy wrong, but it's pretty good as it is.

My opinion only.

ngineer
November 28th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I think the more teams that enter the playoffs creates more exposure around the country in their communities. Having the 'same old, same old' is great for the 'same olds', but can create a 'closed community' mentality that would turn off a greater portion of the public that would be more inclined to 'tune in' when they recognize teams from their area...

mainejeff
November 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I-AA is very strong regionally and locally. There is nothing wrong with that. I offer college hockey and college lacrosse as similar comparisons.

Now that the Great West is coming on board, I-AA will stretch from Califorbnia to Maine. In addition, I-AA is known for their playoff system. A better effort at marketing and exposing I-AA would do wonders to strengthen the division, and ensure a strong and successful future. I-AA definitely needs a Game of the Week (A REAL one with good match-ups EVERY week.....Friday or Saturday nights would be great!).

catamount man
November 28th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I think it's great, especially because of where these newer schools are. California, Texas and a HBCU... those are some pretty big markets. If we were talking about a Holy Cross or Western Carolina or Idaho State I wouldn't be as sure (no offense to any school).

It's America, so of course I'm gonna be offended. :smiley_wi xazzx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

TxSt02
November 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately, the downside of a Texas State or Cal-Poly advancing deeper (or winning it all) is the inevitable talk of moving to I-A that will accompany their success by some big-headed fans and administrators........ :rolleyes:
are you getting penis envy Geoff???

Poly Pigskin
November 28th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I agree with Cap'n Cat, I don't think it will make a huge difference. A lot of people may be over-estimating the market that Cal Poly will create also. SLO is almost exactly halfway between LA and SF, meaning neither market takes notice of our sports, and a lot of students here would still rather go watch USC or Cal on tv than go to our games. Even today, after arguably our biggest I-AA win ever, I haven't heard a single person mention the football game on campus. I keep hoping people here will get more excited about the team, but it never seems to happen.

Oh and don't worry mainejeff, no talk of moving to I-A here, what with our (soon-to-be) 10,000 seat stadium and all. I sure wouldn't mind winning that NC though :D

mainejeff
November 28th, 2005, 08:58 PM
are you getting penis envy Geoff???

No, just anticipating the annual I-A envy from I-AA playoff newbies..... :rolleyes:

blackfordpu
November 28th, 2005, 09:16 PM
No, just anticipating the annual I-A envy from I-AA playoff newbies..... :rolleyes:

I was going to say the same thing.

Tx State has been talking about moving to I-A for a while. Now, by finally making the playoffs, I can't imagine how the talk will escalate.

txstatebobcat
November 28th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I agree with Cap'n Cat, I don't think it will make a huge difference. A lot of people may be over-estimating the market that Cal Poly will create also. SLO is almost exactly halfway between LA and SF, meaning neither market takes notice of our sports, and a lot of students here would still rather go watch USC or Cal on tv than go to our games. Even today, after arguably our biggest I-AA win ever, I haven't heard a single person mention the football game on campus. I keep hoping people here will get more excited about the team, but it never seems to happen.

Personally I think that the blame falls squarely on your administration's shoulders. When I was in school, TxSt had 23,000 students and yet we had probably 2,000 show up to each game. This included the band and strutters(dance team).
About 5 years ago, however the TxSt administration actively seeked the students out. Attendance increased to the point where we average about 5-6000 students even during losing seasons(of which there have been many). For Cal Poly fans coming to the game, you are going to need a shoe horn and KY jelly to squeeze into your seat. I'm almost willing to bet that there will be 10,000+ students trying to squeeze themselves into a part of the stadium that only fits 8,000.

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Personally I think that the blame falls squarely on your administration's shoulders. When I was in school, TxSt had 23,000 students and yet we had probably 2,000 show up to each game. This included the band and strutters(dance team).
About 5 years ago, however the TxSt administration actively seeked the students out. Attendance increased to the point where we average about 5-6000 students even during losing seasons(of which there have been many).
:nod: Our new coach literally went door to door in the dorms inviting students to come to the games. It worked as at many of our games in the last couple years they've been turning students away because the Tub was full.

Retro
November 28th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Yes....it's good to bring up some new blood for I-AA playoffs. Everyone learns more about the different schools all in I-AA, increases the overall fan base and creates a bigger national market....

Exactly! Now, schools have to learn how to keep fans each year buying season tickets through good and bad times..

Retro
November 28th, 2005, 10:05 PM

I think the key is not so much students as alumni and regular adult fans with kids... Those are the ones more likely to buy season tickets and go to all home games and some road games every year once they are hooked..

Students tend to jump on the bandwagon at all schools or show up only for big TV games or special events associated with a game like homecoming.

I know at Mcneese the difference is not in the students, but at Texas State it could be the difference of putting you over the top because of the large number you have there.

Poly Pigskin
November 28th, 2005, 11:21 PM

We pull about 2000 students on a good night, with a student body of 18000. I agree that the administration doesn't do enough; I guess they have some crazy idea that we might actually be here for school or something. We play all of our games at night also, so the students that do show up are leaving by halftime to go party.

We don't have a huge local alumni base either. Our main degree areas are agriculture and engineering; the engineers move to bigger cities and the aggies move to the valley. The alumni who do stay local give decent support I suppose. Oh well, maybe our renovated stadium and ever-improving team can draw more fans next year.