PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Towson Football

andy7171
April 9th, 2009, 07:03 AM
A nice front page story on Towson Football in the free daily version of the Baltimore Sun's "b" paper. xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Rebuilding Towson Football: the Tigers man up

“You should be embarrassed.”

As darkness slowly crept over Johnny Unitas Stadium, new Towson head football coach Rob Ambrose made it crystal clear to his players that he wasn’t thrilled with their lack of intensity during the team’s third practice of the spring last week.

“There are some of you — and it is noticeable — that are going in the right direction,” he said sternly, briefly pausing between each thought to make his words sink in. “When you wear this jersey, there’s an expectation that goes with it. … If you want to be called men, then grow the hell up.”

The Tigers had just capped off a fast-paced, three-hour practice by sprinting from goal line to goal line 14 straight times. Eighty or so players stood gasping for air near the 30-yard line as Ambrose chewed them out before abruptly banishing them to the locker room.

http://www.bthesite.com/archives/2009/04/rebuilding-towson-football-the-tigers-man-up/

Tribe4SF
April 9th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Aw c'mon, Rob! We don't need any more strong programs in the CAA South!:D

Franks Tanks
April 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I hope Coach Ambrose has success at Towson, he is a good guy.

PapaBear
April 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Great article. Sounds like Ambrose is in it for much more than money. It's personal, with him.

Whenever I read stories like this and get a sense that a coach really is going to make something good happen, I always feel for the guys who DIDN'T get to play for him -- the players that spent entire careers under coaches who accept mediocrity as a consequence of challenges such as high academic standards or tight budgets.

Ambrose sounds like a guy who chews up excuses and spits them out. Good for him and good for Towson football.

Uncle Buck
April 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Nice article. Nothing wrong with bringing a little intensity to the program. Like someone already said, he doesn't seem like he did it for the money. He has a real interest in the program's success.

Wildcat80
April 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Nice article. After MD --Towson should attract MD kids. Time will tell. Also if he wins will he stay?

andy7171
April 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Nice article. After MD --Towson should attract MD kids. Time will tell. Also if he wins will he stay?

Maryland is a small state, I'm hoping for more VA NJ and PA players. But you are right.

Ambrose was a team mate of mine, he was a class ahead. I believe he's here for a while. He left a pretty nice gig up at UConn. And turned down an FBS OC job to work with another ex-teammate who just got the New Mexico HC job.

paward
April 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
A hill is not too hard to climb, if taken one step at a time!

Towson will be a force in the CAA under this leadership.

bluehenbillk
April 10th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Good article, I like what I hear from Ambrose, his brashness reminds me of Keeler when he took over at UD who was like Ambrose, an alum.

I scratched my head on this commebt in the article:

"It won’t be easy. Coming off a 3-9 season, the Tigers will likely be picked to finish in the bottom half of the CAA in 2009."

Bottom half? They should drop the half, Towson won't be picked to finish ahead of anyone in the CAA South.