PDA

View Full Version : Coach McCombs is out at VMI

bigred
November 28th, 2005, 10:25 AM
http://www.vmikeydets.com/article.asp?articleid=74572

Here we go again. We get to start "rebuilding" the program again...only problem is that we have been "rebuilding" since 1981.

Coach McCombs is a great man and was better at player retention (hard at The Institute) than anyone else in VMIs recent history. It is too bad that he was not able to light more of a fire under his players.

Thank you Coach McCombs for your service.

God Bless our TEAM and VMI!

Go...gate
November 28th, 2005, 10:59 AM
You guys ever thought of joining the Patriot League? You would be a good fit, since we already have West Point and Annapolis, and the football and academics are good.

bigred
November 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I know there has been discussion of this in the past, but I don't think it would happen based on the current state of our athletics. The move to the BigSouth was meant to make us more competitive and to allow more out of conference games with our in state "rivals". In my humble opinion, the move has been a bust and it has hurt our football recruiting....as if it is wasn't already hard enough to recruit.

I think the SOCON would take us back in heartbeat, but I don't see that happening either.

Hopefully the next coach can get the ship going in the right direction and get some these cadets to play above themselves...the teams in the 60s and 70s were often overmatched physically, but they had a fighting spirit that could not be matched.

LBPop
November 28th, 2005, 11:28 AM
the teams in the 60s and 70s were often overmatched physically, but they had a fighting spirit that could not be matched.

I only had the opportunity to see VMI play once--that was at last year's homecoming at Georgetown. While the scoreboard was heavily in the Hoyas' favor, I remember being impressed that the VMI players did not quit and the fans stayed behind the team the whole game. Good luck.