PDA

View Full Version : NCAA and "home field advantage"

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I just wanted to take a moment to vent a little at the NCAA.

Even if you get home field, the NCAA tries to tame it as much as possible.

We found out that two of our "fan involvement" measures were banned by the NCAA for the playoff games. These would be the 3rd down "Hells Bells" ringing, and the PA announcer initiating the "First Down" chant for the crowd. Things you see at practically every major college stadium nowadays.
Apparently it's okay for the regular season, but Heaven forbid we get to use all of our home field advantages in the playoffs. Wouldn't want that hostile environment now, would we?

I just don't get it. You work all season to get rewarded with home games. Then the NCAA neuters your homefield advantages some, claiming a desire for neutrality (their official reasoning). If that's so, then just put all the dang rounds on neutral sites.

I hate the NCAA more and more each day. What's next, Participation Trophies for everyone so they can use that silly line of "everyone's a winner!"? :asswhip:

AppGuy04
November 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM
There's no point in home field advantage then.....

KiddBrewer
November 28th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I totally agree, everybody knows who is the home team, so why not just let the atmosphere be one of a home game. I was at the game Saturday too, but even though we did hear the famous bells on 3rd down or get to chant 1st down......everybody in the crowd was as loud as ever, and regardless, Lafeyette knew who was the home team.

KiddBrewer
November 28th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I think they could turn off the scoreboard, play no music, allow no announcer at all, and require all home fans to wear neutral colors, and it would still be obvious through crowd noise who was the home team at The Rock.

bcrawf
November 28th, 2005, 10:05 AM
We had the same problem in the Dome, but Bob Justis, long time PA announcer and all around great guy and Panther Fan. More or less stuck it to the NCAA and did what he wanted in the second half. I also hate the NCAA and its outright hypocrisy, but what do you expect when Miles Brand is in Charge?? :coach:

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 10:20 AM
We had the same problem in the Dome, but Bob Justis, long time PA announcer and all around great guy and Panther Fan. More or less stuck it to the NCAA and did what he wanted in the second half. I also hate the NCAA and its outright hypocrisy, but what do you expect when Miles Brand is in Charge?? :coach:

If you have the ability, can you keep tabs to see if there was any action taken against UNI for it?

If not, then I hope other home teams see that and likelwise ignore the NCAA on this silly mandate.

putter
November 28th, 2005, 10:23 AM
They take all the fun out of the games. No advertising (unless permanent) can be placed at the game?! These guys ruin it more than help.

bcrawf
November 28th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Sure will, but we all know how Chicken ***** the NCAA is

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2005, 10:37 AM
NCAA is probably responding to what Montana did last year...

They say NO CANNONS, we almost lost our star WR thanks to a Griz cannon! Our AD made remarks in his bi-weekly column which are not around today due to what he said and his positioning...

We were all behind him. He said, next time we have a home playoff game, we'll go by the Montana definition of a home playoff game, not the NCAAs. Something along those lines...

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
In the 2003 playoffs the Delaware band was stopped from performing their normal third quarter routine which consists of band sections running through the stands playing different music. This has been done as long as I've been going to games (early 70's) and this was the first time I'd ever seen it stopped. The officials cited that music was not allowed to be played during action. I can agree that if it disrupts play it should not be allowed. But the UD band only goes in sections (tubas, brass) and there is no way the music is loud enough to be disruptive on the field. :nonono2:

thirdgendin
November 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM
There's no point in home field advantage then.....

Sweet! So, if Furman and ASU both win this week, you wouldn't mind coming down to Greenville for the semifinals?

That's what I thought. :smiley_wi

TypicalTribe
November 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Sweet! So, if Furman and ASU both win this week, you wouldn't mind coming down to Greenville for the semifinals?

ASU fans will find something to complain about even if they win the NC.

AppGuy04
November 28th, 2005, 11:24 AM
ASU fans will find something to complain about even if they win the NC.

:hyped: I won't!

AppGuy04
November 28th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Let me rephrase, its still at your home field, its just less of an advantage, thats what sucks

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I just wanted to take a moment to vent a little at the NCAA.

Even if you get home field, the NCAA tries to tame it as much as possible.

We found out that two of our "fan involvement" measures were banned by the NCAA for the playoff games. These would be the 3rd down "Hells Bells" ringing, and the PA announcer initiating the "First Down" chant for the crowd. Things you see at practically every major college stadium nowadays.
Apparently it's okay for the regular season, but Heaven forbid we get to use all of our home field advantages in the playoffs. Wouldn't want that hostile environment now, would we?

I just don't get it. You work all season to get rewarded with home games. Then the NCAA neuters your homefield advantages some, claiming a desire for neutrality (their official reasoning). If that's so, then just put all the dang rounds on neutral sites.

I hate the NCAA more and more each day. What's next, Participation Trophies for everyone so they can use that silly line of "everyone's a winner!"? :asswhip:

BGE,
Yeah, this kinda thing pisses Cap'n Cat off, too. Was talking to a UNI "official" at a tailgater before the EWU game and he informed me of these restrictions. What a load of *****. Among other things, we could not use our "noise meter" on the Jumbotron.

Second, and, yes there are rules to observe, but, inasmuch as it relates to UNI -

apparently it was a "high", ahem, Athletic Department official at Portland State who specifically singled out UNI in a pregame conference call among AD bigwigs as particularly "noisy" and who was looking to "protect" EWU from that noise, insisting strongly that things be kept under control in that Dome!

You, sir, are a p*ssy.

Third, while hearing all this, I couldn't help but recall the t-shirt that suspended Brian Bosworth wore on the sidelines of an Oklahoma game that read "NCAA: National Communists Against Athletes". Now, his politics are messed up, but we got his point.

:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa

griz8791
November 28th, 2005, 11:57 AM

They say NO CANNONS, we almost lost our star WR thanks to a Griz cannon! Our AD made remarks in his bi-weekly column which are not around today due to what he said and his positioning...

We were all behind him. He said, next time we have a home playoff game, we'll go by the Montana definition of a home playoff game, not the NCAAs. Something along those lines...

Just when you thought it was safe to pay attention to the I-AA playoffs again, the cannon thing rears its ugly head.

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Second, and, yes there are rules to observe, but, inasmuch as it relates to UNI -

apparently it was a "high", ahem, Athletic Department official at Portland State who specifically singled out UNI in a pregame conference call among AD bigwigs as particularly "noisy" and who was looking to "protect" EWU from that noise, insisting strongly that things be kept under control in that Dome!

:confused:

I'm speechless at that revalation. I guess if your program is incapable of regularly making the playoffs, then try and live vicariously through your fellow conference members?

Looking at PSU's attendance figures, I wonder what would happen if PSU hosted a game. Would the NCAA put a mandate on the chirping crickets in their stands? xlolx

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
:confused:

I'm speechless at that revalation. I guess if your program is incapable of regularly making the playoffs, then try and live vicariously through your fellow conference members?

Looking at PSU's attendance figures, I wonder what would happen if PSU hosted a game. Would the NCAA put a mandate on the chirping crickets in their stands? xlolx

Again, this IS hearsay, but from a very reliable source.

If it's true, though, and I DO believe it is, I hope that PSU official's daughter's been dating Mike Tyson.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Again, this IS hearsay, but from a very reliable source.

If it's true, though, and I DO believe it is, I hope that PSU official's daughter's been dating Mike Tyson.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

I heard the same thing also Cap'n, coming from a fairly reliable person. Did anyone else notice that UNH fired off their little podunk cannon after EVERY score Saturday? Wonder what the NCAA will do about that, suspend the guys that fired it?! :rolleyes: Our PA announcer started off the game very monotonous, but as the game drew on, he went back to his regular season form, it was nice to hear him back in form in the 4th quarter. The NCAA is run by idiots, plain and simple. xazzx

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I heard the same thing also Cap'n, coming from a fairly reliable person. Did anyone else notice that UNH fired off their little podunk cannon after EVERY score Saturday? Wonder what the NCAA will do about that, suspend the guys that fired it?! :rolleyes: Our PA announcer started off the game very monotonous, but as the game drew on, he went back to his regular season form, it was nice to hear him back in form in the 4th quarter. The NCAA is run by idiots, plain and simple. xazzx

Doing some digging, I've heard some rumors that UNI was in fact fined for this matter. So apparently they are taking it seriously, as moronic as it is.

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I may come off as being a contrarian, but what's all the fuss about? Do you guys really need the PA announcer to tell you when to get excited or to organize cheers? You're all football fans, make noise when it's appropriate to make noise. This isn't an NBA game where all the excitement is scripted and you yell when people tell you to yell. Delaware will never be mistaken for a mosh pit, but even the old folks know when to get up and cheer and we've never had an energetic PA announcer to pump up the crowd. Heck, if you can't make noise on your own in a dome of all places then I'd worry about you. All that the NCAA madates is that the home team can't prompt crowd noise or articificially pump up noise, and that organized noise makers are not allowed during play (i.e. the band can't play during play for instance). If these things are such a tradition as you say, I'm sure you guys as fans can get them started without the PA guy telling you when to start.

Freightliner
November 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM

No Cannons? Gee there was one at the TXST/GSU game. Wieeerd

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I may come off as being a contrarian, but what's all the fuss about?

The fuss is about having earned home field in the playoffs. And all that goes with it.

Some places are tougher to play at than others. Who is the NCAA to tell a team that they cannot have all the advantages that they earned in the regular season? Especially the seeds if they keep advancing. If part of a team's success is a rabid home environment, then they should be allowed to use every bit of that. Not a subset of it.

Again, if it's good enough for the regular season, it should be good enough for the playoffs. If the NCAA wants a neutral environment, then pony up for the site.

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Doing some digging, I've heard some rumors that UNI was in fact fined for this matter. So apparently they are taking it seriously, as moronic as it is.

I assue you mean UNH might be fined.

:rolleyes:

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I may come off as being a contrarian, but what's all the fuss about? Do you guys really need the PA announcer to tell you when to get excited or to organize cheers? You're all football fans, make noise when it's appropriate to make noise. This isn't an NBA game where all the excitement is scripted and you yell when people tell you to yell. Delaware will never be mistaken for a mosh pit, but even the old folks know when to get up and cheer and we've never had an energetic PA announcer to pump up the crowd. Heck, if you can't make noise on your own in a dome of all places then I'd worry about you. All that the NCAA madates is that the home team can't prompt crowd noise or articificially pump up noise, and that organized noise makers are not allowed during play (i.e. the band can't play during play for instance). If these things are such a tradition as you say, I'm sure you guys as fans can get them started without the PA guy telling you when to start.

Well, Ganner, don't assume we don't do as you say. There is still plenty of noise. No one anywhere is sitting on their hands.

The rub is, as my conservative friends in the Lounge could attest to, the mere notion of some governing body coming in and appearing to legislate enthusiam, if you get my parallel.

:D

HensRock
November 28th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Again, if it's good enough for the regular season, it should be good enough for the playoffs.

Actually, I don't think it's good enough for the regular season either. School representatives acting in any official capacity are restricted from artificially making or amplifying noise at ANY NCAA event, playoff or regular season - this includes the band playing music during plays - which is specifically mentioned in the NCAA Football rules. Maybe they just crack down on the enforcement more during the playoffs.

Besides, having your band play while the play is going on is just classless, IMO. And 89, the UD band in recent years has been guilty of this - not the stadium tour, but the full band playing during action - and they have been called on it at least once. Everyone booed of course, but the official was absolutely correct to warn them.

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I assue you mean UNH might be fined.

:rolleyes:

Nope, it was Northern Iowa being discussed. Be curious to see what facts come out from it, if any, this week.

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Keep us all informed on this B & G. Also, Ralph, any strings you might be able to pull to find out if any of the home teams have received fines would be appreciated. :hurray:

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Actually, I don't think it's good enough for the regular season either. School representatives acting in any official capacity are restricted from artificially making or amplifying noise at ANY NCAA event, playoff or regular season - this includes the band playing music during plays - which is specifically mentioned in the NCAA Football rules. Maybe they just crack down on the enforcement more during the playoffs.

Besides, having your band play while the play is going on is just classless, IMO. And 89, the UD band in recent years has been guilty of this - not the stadium tour, but the full band playing during action - and they have been called on it at least once. Everyone booed of course, but the official was absolutely correct to warn them.

At ASU at least, this has nothing to do with artifical noisemaking DURING the play. All the restrictions involve items that happen BETWEEN plays. Hells Bells ringing before the teams line up for third down, or the PA announcer gettign the crowd involved in a first down chant. Very, very common things in NCAA venues, and all BETWEEN plays.

I agree with the no bands playing during the play thing, but in my experience that is something that's very regional, usually only found by schools in the deep south.

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Nope, it was Northern Iowa being discussed. Be curious to see what facts come out from it, if any, this week.

Oh, *********. We're talking about a cannon at UNH and UNI is getting fined for something?

Baloney.

:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
At ASU at least, this has nothing to do with artifical noisemaking DURING the play. All the restrictions involve items that happen BETWEEN plays. Hells Bells ringing before the teams line up for third down, or the PA announcer gettign the crowd involved in a first down chant. Very, very common things in NCAA venues, and all BETWEEN plays.

I agree with the no bands playing during the play thing, but in my experience that is something that's very regional, usually only found by schools in the deep south.

Between plays is a pretty important time I'd think - the coach is trying to make the calls, the QB's trying to get the call, the call is passed into the huddle, there are calls made at the line of scrimmage, and so on. I'm not against noise either, but the NCAA has a point - having the PA guy morph into a cheerleader, having the stadium coordinate cheers, piping music or other sounds into the stadium - it's a little weak. What are these Hell Bells things you guys keep talking about - I've been following IAA football for as long as it's been around and I've never heard of them. Point is, the NCAA has these rules for the regular season too - they just don't enforce them as much as the do in the postseason. Make your own noise, organize your own cheers, do whatever you have to - just don't wait for the PA guy to get you going (I'm not even sure that the UD guy says anything on the PA except during timeouts when they make announcements or give out of town scores).

AppState
November 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM
What are these Hell Bells things you guys keep talking about

The three bell intro to AC-DCs Hells Bells. Ties into the Back in Black theme.

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 03:34 PM
The three bell intro to AC-DCs Hells Bells. Ties into the Back in Black theme.

Why don't you just have the band play it? I know it's not the same but like I said earlier, this isn't an NBA game where you have 1,000 different things happening all the time (makes it hard to find the game sometimes).

CytoApp
November 28th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Idea......

All App fans bring any bell you can find on Saturday. On SIU third down, we ring the hell out of them. Guarantee it will get the crowd going and will make more noise than the PA system.

xpumpukex

Give'm Hell APPS!!!

griz8791
November 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Who is the NCAA to tell a team that they cannot have all the advantages that they earned in the regular season? Especially the seeds if they keep advancing. If part of a team's success is a rabid home environment, then they should be allowed to use every bit of that. Not a subset of it.

Exactly. Playing these games at "neutral" sites isn't financially feasible and it would suck for everyone if it was feasible. So somebody has to get home field advantage and that's yet another incentive to play hard during the regular season.

I'm pleased to learn that UNH and Texas State deploy artillery at their games and hope they keep using them.

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I'm not against noise either, but the NCAA has a point - having the PA guy morph into a cheerleader, having the stadium coordinate cheers, piping music or other sounds into the stadium - it's a little weak.

Point is, the NCAA has these rules for the regular season too - they just don't enforce them as much as the do in the postseason. Make your own noise, organize your own cheers, do whatever you have to - just don't wait for the PA guy to get you going (I'm not even sure that the UD guy says anything on the PA except during timeouts when they make announcements or give out of town scores).

I guess what one calls "weak", others call "home field advantage"? :eyebrow:

I didn't realize football was to be like tennis or golf, where things need to be quiet. Heaven forbid the visiting team have to work a little harder to win in what is supposed to be a hostile environment. It's a part of the game, and you go to any major college football venue and you'll find it. But then again they aren't the 5000+ wine and cheese crowds that we should all strive to be?

This is almost as bad as the time earlier this year when a former sports editor of the Washington Post complained that the 92,000+ fans at FedEx were making it an "unfair advantage" for the Redskins against the Bears, especially at one juncture when the crowd was at least partially responsible for 3 false starts in a row by the Bears and rookie Kyle Orton. Cry me a freaking river.

Almost as bad, but not quite.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 06:11 PM
In the 2003 playoffs the Delaware band was stopped from performing their normal third quarter routine which consists of band sections running through the stands playing different music. This has been done as long as I've been going to games (early 70's) and this was the first time I'd ever seen it stopped. The officials cited that music was not allowed to be played during action. I can agree that if it disrupts play it should not be allowed. But the UD band only goes in sections (tubas, brass) and there is no way the music is loud enough to be disruptive on the field. :nonono2:
Bands and the PA systeem are not allowed to play during the action. So you're saying a number should be specified as to how many can play at at a time and it not be the band?

aggie6thman
November 28th, 2005, 06:12 PM
At least you guys most likely don't have an official "Game Management" position within your athletic department like we do here at UC Davis. Yeah, I know it is horrible. I was actually threatened to be kicked out of a basketball game for screaming at one of the players. Nothing degrading, I knew the guy from high school and he knew me.

Yeah, it is bad here. Have to change the DII mentality.

As for all of the regulations, welcome to playoff football. It isn't supposed to be easy to win on the road, that is why they have home field advantage. This is one thing the NCAA should stay out of.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Idea......

All App fans bring any bell you can find on Saturday. On SIU third down, we ring the hell out of them. Guarantee it will get the crowd going and will make more noise than the PA system.

xpumpukex

Give'm Hell APPS!!!

The SoCon prohibits cow bells and air horns.

DaGriz
November 28th, 2005, 06:19 PM
They say NO CANNONS, we almost lost our star WR thanks to a Griz cannon!

:deadhorse

The scary thing is, had you actually lost your WR we would still be hearing about it a year later, oh wait, we are.

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
BTW, an update:

Complete and utter ********* on UNI getting "fined" for anything on Saturday. BGE - your sources are azzholes.

:nonono2:

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Bands and the PA systeem are not allowed to play during the action. So you're saying a number should be specified as to how many can play at at a time and it not be the band?
No, just saying that in the 30 years I'd been going to UD football games, that was the first time it was ever enforced.

ngineer
November 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I always thought the restriction was applicable to "artificial" noisemakers being 'played or used' so as to prohibit the opposing team from hearing their signals. Lehigh's band was stopped from playing while JMU had the ball last year in Goodman Stadium. In all fairness, I see nothing wrong with banning such 'noisemakers' during the opposing team's set formation. The fans can scream and yell all they want and that's fine. But I believe the idea is to see who has the best football team within the realm of what's called sportsmanship.. I also see nothing wrong with the cannons after a score.

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
No, just saying that in the 30 years I'd been going to UD football games, that was the first time it was ever enforced.

Thirty years going to UD FB games? You aren't even 30 years old!!!!!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p

November 29th, 2005, 01:48 PM
BTW, an update:
Complete and utter bull...I thought that sounded wrong. First he said it was a fact and then he said it was being discussed... :rolleyes:

Black and Gold Express
November 29th, 2005, 01:52 PM
BTW, an update:
Complete and utter ********* on UNI getting "fined" for anything on Saturday.

Glad to hear it for UNI's sake. That would have stunk had it turned out to be true. Now the NCAA needs to do the right thing and drop this silliness altogether.

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Glad to hear it for UNI's sake. That would have stunk had it turned out to be true. Now the NCAA needs to do the right thing and drop this silliness altogether.

For UNI's sake...........?

:confused: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

November 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Doing some digging, I've heard some rumors that UNI was in fact fined for this matter. So apparently they are taking it seriously, as moronic as it is.The NCAA has never fined a team for that violation... Listen to I-AA WAVES tonight and hear the committee chair speak on this issue.

Black and Gold Express
November 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM
The NCAA has never fined a team for that violation... Listen to I-AA WAVES tonight and hear the committee chair speak on this issue.

Sorry, I'll be busy with other things. Just sum it up for me then: So if there's no real penalty for doing whatever they normally would do, why on earth would a school follow the mandate to begin with?

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Sorry, I'll be busy with other things. Just sum it up for me then: So if there's no real penalty for doing whatever they normally would do, why on earth would a school follow the mandate to begin with?

no future home play-off games? The NCAA can be real jerks.

putter
November 29th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Please tell me you are kidding! You're receiver did not even come close to the cannon and the cannon was there when we were going to that side of the field also. Let this die it's rightful death... :nono:

November 29th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Sorry, I'll be busy with other things... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :spank:
Oh my gosh you are really funny! You can hear the show at your leisure at the blog when you're not busy:
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72957

The NCAA is run by the schools, schools follow their own rules usually.

HensRock
November 29th, 2005, 04:19 PM

In 30 years, it's probably the only time it was needed. Our band has been pushing the envelope in recent years. Someone needs to show Sarv the NCAA Football rule book. I think it's classless. I'm not talking about the sectional tour in the 3rd Q. I'm talking about the band playing while the opponents are coming to the line and continuing to play through the play. I've seen this at least 3 times in the past 2 years, but never before.

beerkat
November 29th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Please tell me you are kidding! You're receiver did not even come close to the cannon and the cannon was there when we were going to that side of the field also. Let this die it's rightful death...

read again the part where he said "almost"

newsbreaker
November 29th, 2005, 05:19 PM
This sounds to me like one of those rules that nobody does very much about.

The situation at UNI was primarily over two things. A new, imho very lame, tradition of the PA announcer saying after a first down "That's another Panther.." and then pausing while the crowd yells "first down." The other is a video board graphic that encourages the crowd to get louder. I assure you, the crowd is plenty loud in there with or without that graphic...ask EWU who only saw a half-full house.

These are high level sporting events where the athletes are being rewarded handsomely (in some cases, there are a few schools you couldn't pay me to attend) for their athletic work. The atmosphere should be the best possible, and if that means using every advantage short of pipin in actual crowd noise, then do it!

I don't think the NCAA does anything about enforcing these rules. Hell, the University of Minnesota actually mics up the drumline of their band to make it louder.

Anything up until the team is set at the line should be fair game IMHO. After that, it's up to the crowd.

GRZZ
November 29th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Ralph, will you ask the chairman about the cannon rule tonight as well? I know that SHSU and Montana had this whole fight last year and they claim that we are clearly braking the rules using the cannon and we claim that we have uded it at playoff games for years and no one has said anything about it. We pointed out that other schools use them too but that didn't matter. The fact that other schools are using this year makes me think that the SHSU administrator did not understand the rule completely, because it seems that they would have stopped us from usnig it years ago if that was the case.

ngineer
November 29th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Ralph, will you ask the chairman about the cannon rule tonight as well? I know that SHSU and Montana had this whole fight last year and they claim that we are clearly braking the rules using the cannon and we claim that we have uded it at playoff games for years and no one has said anything about it. We pointed out that other schools use them too but that didn't matter. The fact that other schools are using this year makes me think that the SHSU administrator did not understand the rule completely, because it seems that they would have stopped us from usnig it years ago if that was the case.

Never heard of a 'cannon rule.' Lehigh's been shooting cannon after a score for decades.

November 30th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Ralph, will you ask the chairman about the cannon rule tonight as well? I know that SHSU and Montana had this whole fight last year and they claim that we are clearly braking the rules using the cannon and we claim that we have uded it at playoff games for years and no one has said anything about it. We pointed out that other schools use them too but that didn't matter. The fact that other schools are using this year makes me think that the SHSU administrator did not understand the rule completely, because it seems that they would have stopped us from usnig it years ago if that was the case.I asked and he answered. I think if folks listen to what he says then you'll get the idea that the NCAA is not such a FUN NAZI. They just want to take away unfair advantages in their champ events. The cannons are fine as long as it isn't a safety issue and both teams have the same opportunity.

Black and Gold Express
November 30th, 2005, 07:59 AM
I asked and he answered. I think if folks listen to what he says then you'll get the idea that the NCAA is not such a FUN NAZI. They just want to take away unfair advantages in their champ events. The cannons are fine as long as it isn't a safety issue and both teams have the same opportunity.

So what, if (for example) UNI does not have a cannon to bring to UNH this weekend, then UNH can't fire theirs? Or is the statement that UNI can bring one if they want, and that UNH needs to allow it to be there, but it in no way affects their own cannon?

The latter I can agree with.

Regardless, this all leads me back to the original statement. If you don't want teams to have a home field advantage, then stop playing playoff games at the home field of one of the teams playing in the game. If you are going to charge teams a fee to host a game, then you should allow them to have full access to all of their usual home field "comforts". All of them.

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Please explain to me how "Hells Bells" is an unfair advantage at KBS? The crowd will be loud on 3rd down no matter what

And what about the announcer saying first down, whats wrong with that?

ASU Kep
November 30th, 2005, 08:08 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I was wondering why last week all the usual things were missing at KBS. Granted I might not have anything intelligent to say on the subject because I don't know nearly as much about it as ya'll do so I'll sum up my position in: WTF? It's home field advantage. You win games, you get it. You *deserve* it. Have the opposing players never played in a hostile atmosphere before? Do the cannons scare them? Are collegiate FB players not capable of dealing with such distractions? It makes for at least a slighly less electric atmosphere at the time when I-AA football is getting pretty much it's only mainstream coverage of the year. This seems so retarded to me, I say all schools just ignore it and see what happens.

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 08:16 AM
The NCAA does want exciting games on TV right?

Oh wait, I forgot this is I-AA, the NCAA doesn't give a **** :bang:

Umass74
November 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM
You guys should hear the cannon Army fires after every Army TD and after every win.

Now there's CANNON. :hurray:

The UMass fans loved it.

putter
November 30th, 2005, 10:03 AM
read again the part where he said "almost"

What do you call "almost"? 1 foot, 5 feet, 10 feet. I wouldn't even say he "almost" hit it. That implies that the cannon came into play but it did not.

putter
November 30th, 2005, 10:07 AM
I asked and he answered. I think if folks listen to what he says then you'll get the idea that the NCAA is not such a FUN NAZI. They just want to take away unfair advantages in their champ events. The cannons are fine as long as it isn't a safety issue and both teams have the same opportunity.

Ralph, they ARE the fun Nazis. Yes lets have the game in Boone or Missoula but we can't have any unfair advantages!? Give me a break and I echo my comrade's comments that this is the dumbest thing I heard. You get home playoff games to HAVE those advantages and I don't think a cannon or allowing the announcers to emphasize "First Down..." will make any difference. Just the NCAA thowing it's weight around. :coach:

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 10:15 AM
So let me see, does this mean that we have to take signs down that say Appalachian State University or Kidd Brewer Stadium, I mean, those imply that we have a home field advantage, seriously, its no different in my eyes.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Boise State get to play their bowl games on their own freaking field(damn blue turf hurts my eyes) and the NCAA doesn't care about that, why should they care if we ring a damn bell a few times a game

and oh BTW, the announcer gets drowned out by the students anyways, i can barely hear him most of the time, if at all

GannonFan
November 30th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Man, you guys have dragged this on for 7 pages already - tell you what, just cheer when you go to the game and homefield will be just fine. If you guys make so much noise as it is I just don't understand this level of whining over the PA system. Geez.

Black and Gold Express
November 30th, 2005, 10:41 AM
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Boise State get to play their bowl games on their own freaking field(damn blue turf hurts my eyes) and the NCAA doesn't care about that, why should they care if we ring a damn bell a few times a game

Boise is a differnt story altogether. It's not a guarantee that the Broncos will be in that game (though they are a lot), and they do try and make it somewhat neutral in terms of the PA and the like (though a cannon still goes off IIRC).

But therein lies the difference, thre is a chance that BSU won't be in the game, but the game goes on there anyways. In the playoffs, the game ain't played on the field unless one of the two teams is the home team for that field. So in that case, I don't see where the NCAA has the right to manage the home field advantage the home team gets.

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Please explain to me how "Hells Bells" is an unfair advantage at KBS? The crowd will be loud on 3rd down no matter what

And what about the announcer saying first down, whats wrong with that?

Saturday they were loud some of the time on 3rd and short, at other times just sat on their hands.