PDA

View Full Version : any truth to this?

Freightliner
November 28th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Just as an informational standpoint for me (yes, I know we still have to beat Cal Poly).

Is it true that for the Semi's the upper bracket plays Friday and the lower bracket plays Saturday?

Just wondering.

Thanks

thirdgendin
November 28th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Just as an informational standpoint for me (yes, I know we still have to beat Cal Poly).

Is it true that for the Semi's the upper bracket plays Friday and the lower bracket plays Saturday?

Just wondering.

Thanks

This comes from the NCAA handbook:

"Semifinal Determination Procedure
The semifinal games during the 2005 Division I-AA Football Championship will
be conducted on two different days. One semifinal game will occur Friday evening,
December 9, while the other will occur Saturday afternoon, December 10. Both games
will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2.
The Division I-AA football committee has determined that the two remaining teams
in the top half of the 16-team championship bracket will play Friday night, while the
two remaining teams in the bottom half of the bracket will play Saturday afternoon.

Please note, however, that the determination of which teams play on which dates
is subject to change if issues arise (e.g., host facility specifications) that necessitate
a change in the best interest of the championship. All eight teams participating
in quarterfinal competition will be made aware before their games of the won-loss
scenarios that will dictate which teams play Friday night or Saturday afternoon."

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:51 AM
This comes from the NCAA handbook:

"Semifinal Determination Procedure
The semifinal games during the 2005 Division I-AA Football Championship will
be conducted on two different days. One semifinal game will occur Friday evening,
December 9, while the other will occur Saturday afternoon, December 10. Both games
will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2.
The Division I-AA football committee has determined that the two remaining teams
in the top half of the 16-team championship bracket will play Friday night, while the
two remaining teams in the bottom half of the bracket will play Saturday afternoon.

Please note, however, that the determination of which teams play on which dates
is subject to change if issues arise (e.g., host facility specifications) that necessitate
a change in the best interest of the championship. All eight teams participating
in quarterfinal competition will be made aware before their games of the won-loss
scenarios that will dictate which teams play Friday night or Saturday afternoon."

That SUX. Next thing you know, it will be on Tuesday morning.

AppGuy04
November 28th, 2005, 09:53 AM
I actually like it, gives both games the chance to be on national TV, not this ESPNU crap

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Nothing wrong with a Friday night game. Getting both games on the Deuce is worth it.

bcrawf
November 28th, 2005, 10:02 AM
That is correct. GO CAL POLY!! And me and 17,000 of my closest friends will welcome you to the UNI-Dome for a Friday Night!!! :)

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 10:05 AM
That is correct. GO CAL POLY!! And me and 17,000 of my closest friends will welcome you to the UNI-Dome for a Friday Night!!! :)

The road to Chattanooga goes through Durham :)

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Durham in December has a nice ring to it - they get to use that for two more weeks before heading off to Chatty.

APPST '93
November 28th, 2005, 12:04 PM
If App St and UNH both win on Saturday I would think App St would play Friday night (lights are all ready there). UNH doesn't currently have lights, correct?

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 12:19 PM
If App St and UNH both win on Saturday I would think App St would play Friday night (lights are all ready there). UNH doesn't currently have lights, correct?
So we get penalized for having lights? :rolleyes:

FU97
November 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Penalized? Competitively, its an advantage as if you win you get an extra day to prepare. Sure you get a short week for the semis, but so do your opponents.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Nothing wrong with a Friday night game. Getting both games on the Deuce is worth it.

Hell yes if you happen to live there. Getting off work at 5 and driving like hell to get there sux. Who the hell watches TV football on Friday nights anyway?
The NCAA and ESPN are equally stoopid. NCAA just wants the cheaper TV expense.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Penalized? Competitively, its an advantage as if you win you get an extra day to prepare. Sure you get a short week for the semis, but so do your opponents.

The NCAA is always preaching that bull**** about the student athlete. Missing another day and a half of classes is brilliant.

Another day of practice?? Prepare, yes. But practice no. NCAA limits to 20 hours per week.

GGASU
November 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Who in the world came up with a Friday night game? :asswhip: I can understand playing at night to show both games, but what is wrong with playing on Saturday. This will cut the attendance by at least 30%.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Let the f'ers rent some damn lights if that's the deciding factor.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Who in the world came up with a Friday night game? :asswhip: I can understand playing at night to show both games, but what is wrong with playing on Saturday. This will cut the attendance by at least 30%.

You're right, if it is such a smart idea, why don't we do it for the quarters and opening rounds?

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Let the f'ers rent some damn lights if that's the deciding factor.

New Hampshire has been more then willing to bring in lights, i could care less wether its a fri nite game or sat afternoon game, but if the coaches do then the higher seed should have there pick of what day to play.

Since being #1 doesnt get us a national tv game this weekend might as well have first dibs on what day to play the following weekend

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Hell yes if you happen to live there. Getting off work at 5 and driving like hell to get there sux. Who the hell watches TV football on Friday nights anyway?
The NCAA and ESPN are equally stoopid. NCAA just wants the cheaper TV expense.

"Cheaper TV expense"???? ESPN pays for the rights to show these games, not the other way around. Have a clue before posting something that ridiculous. :rolleyes:

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Come on, this would be a national semifinal game - the Final Four. If you guys have a serious hit in attendance because of that then you seriously have to look at the fanbase - heck, W&M hosted the night semifinal game last year and the place was crazy and overflowing and W&M should never be confused with a rabid fanbase.

bcrawf
November 28th, 2005, 02:30 PM
After Cal Poly and UNI both win on Saturday, the Dome would love to host ESPN on Friday Evening (No need for lights and TV people don't have to brave the elements like out in Durham). We will have a Standing Room Only crowd at either time.

APPST '93
November 28th, 2005, 04:28 PM
App fans quit bitchin'. If we play Friday night, then show up or shut up. Do you see Division 1A schools bitchin' about Thursday night games? NO, you don't! I will gladly leave work at noon on Friday to support the team.

ericappstate
November 28th, 2005, 05:20 PM
App fans seem to be overlooking the fact that we still have SIU in the way of the next round. Don't overlook them like alot did Lafayette. I don't think that they will fall as easily (not very) as Laf did. We have to win this game first.

KiddBrewer
November 28th, 2005, 08:07 PM
App fans seem to be overlooking the fact that we still have SIU in the way of the next round. Don't overlook them like alot did Lafayette. I don't think that they will fall as easily (not very) as Laf did. We have to win this game first.

Well said!

Maverick
November 28th, 2005, 08:22 PM
One of the main things that I-AA complains about is the lack of TV exposure. Also one of the problems of that is which slots would be best for them. Putting both of these games on back to back on Saturday may seem like a very easy thing to do. What would these games be up against for that 6 hour block? What about college basketball? What about the NFL? There are many I-AA fans out there, but there are a helluva lot more fans of college hoops and the NFL. This is at least a step forward. What would have helped a few years ago would have been for the NCAA to help establish a national I-AA game of the week on a major network that would start earlier on Saturdays. Without regular exposure, it is hard to build a viewing audience. Hopefully with the coming of an NCAA network, there can be TV coverage of the entire playoff run. My major concern is what the future holds with the "re-classification" issue. That is far more important to the future of this level of FB than the Friday/Saturday TV game issue.

skinny_uncle
November 28th, 2005, 08:54 PM
UNH-no lights
UNI-lights
SIU-lights
Appl State-lights

Anyone else left besides UNH who does not have lights?

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Well said!

Still sux even if it's SIU.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:28 PM
App fans quit bitchin'. If we play Friday night, then show up or shut up. Do you see Division 1A schools bitchin' about Thursday night games? NO, you don't! I will gladly leave work at noon on Friday to support the team.

Good for you. How many App fans will/can do the same. We're gonna look stupid with empty stands in the semis and no crowd support for the players. Assuming we make it that far.
Look for 60% of our regular season avg in the stands. 12K would be a surprise actually.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Come on, this would be a national semifinal game - the Final Four. If you guys have a serious hit in attendance because of that then you seriously have to look at the fanbase - heck, W&M hosted the night semifinal game last year and the place was crazy and overflowing and W&M should never be confused with a rabid fanbase.

That's my damn point. Loyal fans get rewarded by having to come to a Friday game. It's bull****. Letting 2nd tier TV dictate playing times. College football is meant for Saturdays. High schools play on Friday nights. Guess we in I-AA get the hint.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:34 PM

I'd say a flagship school with a fanbase of 20K needs to take a serious look at its fanbase, too. 60K is the norm.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:35 PM
"Cheaper TV expense"???? ESPN pays for the rights to show these games, not the other way around. Have a clue before posting something that ridiculous. :rolleyes:

No ****? xazzx

ThreadStopper
November 28th, 2005, 09:43 PM
UNH-no lights
UNI-lights
SIU-lights
Appl State-lights

Anyone else left besides UNH who does not have lights?

Cal Poly has lights, but is missing half a stadium. The expansion construction will not be complete until next season.

APPST '93
November 28th, 2005, 09:45 PM
What's the problem? If we win Saturday and play at home the next Friday you have no excuse for not letting you employer know you may need to leave a few hours early. Tell them tomorrow!

By the way Commencement Ceremony at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday the 10th. No less than 20k fans if we play on a Friday night before Commencement. Thank God I have a free place to stay.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
What's the problem? If we win Saturday and play at home the next Friday you have no excuse for not letting you employer know you may need to leave a few hours early. Tell them tomorrow!

By the way Commencement Ceremony at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday the 10th. No less than 20k fans if we play on a Friday night before Commencement. Thank God I have a free place to stay.

Friday night? No where near 20K.

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I'd say a flagship school with a fanbase of 20K needs to take a serious look at its fanbase, too. 60K is the norm.

What???? :confused:

Grizo406
November 28th, 2005, 11:00 PM
...yes, I know we still have to beat Cal Poly.

You guys have REAL classy fans, a program that's on the rise, and should be commended for that, but beating Cal Poly is going to be a huge chore. They are the real deal.

If you beat 'em, your team will be very hard to stop...no matter who you play.

Get past the Mustangs, and you just might end up being the Grizo's new favorite team...although I'm still kinda' hoping for UNI to make some serious noise.

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 11:58 PM
You guys have REAL classy fans, a program that's on the rise, and should be commended for that, but beating Cal Poly is going to be a huge chore. They are the real deal.

Get past the Mustangs, and you just might end up being the Grizo's new favorite team...although I'm still kinda' hoping for UNI to make some serious noise.

Thanks Grizo. We get past UNH and I like our chances with either of the potential semifinals opponents. Texas is warm, and Cal Poly would be coming to the lovely confines of the UNI-Dome. That pesky UNH team ain't gonna be a pushover though... :doh:

UNHWildCats
November 29th, 2005, 12:37 AM
After Cal Poly and UNI both win on Saturday, the Dome would love to host ESPN on Friday Evening (No need for lights and TV people don't have to brave the elements like out in Durham). We will have a Standing Room Only crowd at either time.

So your inviting Cal Poly to play in the dark inside the dome?

PantherMan
November 29th, 2005, 12:57 AM
So your inviting Cal Poly to play in the dark inside the dome?

No, he's saying we don't have to truck them in to play at night, or in the dark for that matter... :rolleyes:

ASU Kep
November 29th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Penalized? Fri. night would bring more national exposure not having to compete with the remaining I-A conference championships and such. High school FB season is over, and believe you me, if you thought the ASU student section was loud on Sat afternoon, wait until you see us on a Friday night! Only real drawback of playing on Fri night would be maybe some d-bags not coming because they'd rather just go out partying/etc, or they live too far away and dont want to take Fri off to come. But screw those d-bags. I would f'ing love it (if we win) to have the game on Fri. night under the lights.

APPST '93
November 29th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Penalized? Fri. night would bring more national exposure not having to compete with the remaining I-A conference championships and such. High school FB season is over, and believe you me, if you thought the ASU student section was loud on Sat afternoon, wait until you see us on a Friday night! Only real drawback of playing on Fri night would be maybe some d-bags not coming because they'd rather just go out partying/etc, or they live too far away and dont want to take Fri off to come. But screw those d-bags. I would f'ing love it (if we win) to have the game on Fri. night under the lights.

I'm with you ASU Kep.

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 07:21 AM
High school FB season is over
No kidding?
I wasn't talking about competing with high school. I was comparing it to high school.

So we'll get 12 to 15K with a ton of that $5 a shot compared to 20K at $20 a shot. No press coverage. You'll see in the scoreboard section of the major newpapers..Furman at ASU (or whoever) (late).
We can sugar coat this **** all we want and it will still stink and belittle I-AA.

It will still cost us 30% of our fans and you can call them d-bags all you want. We've had hard enough time getting fans interested in the play-offs as it is.

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 07:23 AM
I'm with you ASU Kep.
National exposure? Watch the ratings for the Friday night game compared to the Sat game. It won't be close.

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 07:24 AM
What???? :confused:

I'm saying examine your own f'n fan base in comparison.

SoCon48
November 29th, 2005, 07:26 AM

It's a semi-final game. I'd bet it would be a record if played on Saturday like real college games are.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 08:00 AM

The frattys wouldn't come, but that wouldn't bother me at all, all they do is socialize anyways

ericappstate
November 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM
I've got an idea, lets beat SIU first. Then we can have this discussion.

Freightliner
November 29th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Agreed. We played them last year @Cal Poly in the muck and mud (rained all 2nd half). We also have something to prove as well, and WE are no slouch either.

Here is ONE cat fan rooting for Northern Iowa!

UNI/TXST (SWT) have played before (1-1 in the Kurt Warner era).

Been to the UNIdome as well...visiting team still dress in the PE Locker room?