PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Appy

Grizaholic17
April 4th, 2009, 01:18 PM
So I realize starting this thread will cause Smack for sure, but let's try to keep it clean. I am wondering that since App St. is returning practically everyone for a 2009 season that holds great possibility (and a senior year in Armanti), is it any question that they will be competing in Chatty? What is there that could stand in your way?

Reign of Terrier
April 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
The only thing really stopping them is probably their own OL. If they lose 1-2 to injury they could be a bind. When it comes to other team they play McNeese (sp?) so that might get the rest of the world aware of how good they are. Samford, Wofford, Elon, and maybe Georgia Southern are probably their biggest challenges. I think Wofford will do better than their 70-24 performance due to an improved defense and an offense that can still run the ball better than 95% of the world. Samford should have a chance against App because honestly App's run D is just horrible and that is how Samford moves the ball (I base the "horrible" part on the 497 yards given up to Wofford and I don't think we rushed for quite that much the whole season). Elon will bring just as much back and could very well pull the upset. If Georgia southern can develop a defense as well as a consistent offense they could very well pull the upset.xtwocentsx

Wildcat80
April 4th, 2009, 02:42 PM
The SoCon is becoming more & more competitive. ASU is still at the top but they had some very close scores last year. WCU is probably a year away. Chatty at least two. I assume the Wofford team will keep it closer this year.

Reign of Terrier
April 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
The SoCon is becoming more & more competitive. ASU is still at the top but they had some very close scores last year. WCU is probably a year away. Chatty at least two. I assume the Wofford team will keep it closer this year.

Don't hold your breath on Chatty. As good as their coach may be their like the Detroit lions of FCS.

apaladin
April 4th, 2009, 03:45 PM
They have to come to Furman on Halloween.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Don't hold your breath on Chatty. As good as their coach may be their like the Detroit lions of FCS.

Chatty and Western have both had their days (nothing like GSU and ASU, but still have had their time). They both have the potential to be competitive again. It will be interesting to see how Huesman's philosophy works in the SoCon.

As for GSU, I just got back from the spring game and I can tell you that if nothing else GSU has a lot of talent and will probably not need to play very many freshmen this year.

ericsaid
April 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Actually App has a DT coach now instead of a coach for the entire d-line. This helps reduce time where players would normally just be standing around, there's someone to coach the DE's and DT's so expect the run defense to be improved. How much improvement that will be made however, remains to be seen.

But I would say the biggest thing would be the offensive line and maybe if they have a let down somewhere throughout the season. With the talent coming in and the players returning, they could be scary good.

mountaineer in Cane Land
April 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Most App fans, including myself, are worried about the offensive tackles and defensive tackles. We are loaded at every other position. If we can get them to play well, we will have a good shot to get to Chatt, if they play great, we will be hard to beat, if they play poorly it will be anybodies guess who will get to Chatt. One bright spot about the def tackles, the talent is there to dominate, maybe adding a def tackle coach is what we need to finally get them to play at there full potential.

AppSt.09
April 5th, 2009, 04:17 AM
in my opinion, granted i will say that I am a little biased, bu I think that this year might be one of THE BEST teams that we have ever fielded. with the depth that we developed last year due to underclassmen rising up when the starters were out, we will be hard to beat.

i look forward to a GREAT football season next fall and some FCS over FBS defeats to add FCS ' stock!

T-Dog
April 5th, 2009, 05:37 AM
What is there that could stand in your way?

Special teams were a huge negative in 2008. We gave up a kick return for TD in quite a few games (Jacksonville, JMU, GaSo, El Cit, Samford and I believe another game). We got better at it late in the season though but still. FG's and PAT's were sketch at times. The best thing about special teams was the punting, but that punter graduated.

I'm not as concerned with the OL as others. They're all coming back.

People forget we had the injury bug last year. 4 starting players had to have surgery after the JMU game (including the starting RB who red shirted). By the end of the season, all of our backfield got hurt at one time or another. And of course Armanti was never 100% in the playoffs. That in itself shows our depth.

If we stay healthier than last year and do better on Special Teams, we're going to be scary good. Imagine the 2007 team's offense with the 2006 team's defense. xeekx

AppMan
April 5th, 2009, 06:03 AM
T-Dog you better be concerned about the O-line, primarily the depth of the group. The first five should be ok, but after that it's anybody's guess. Mario hasn't played an entire season since he arrived on campus and several of the guys slated to move into starting roles have only played spot duty. Let's not even begin to discuss size, or the lack there of. Biggest guys out there are 6-3 285 and 6-1 290 and the latter is a converted D-lineman in his first season playing the position. For goodness sake, our current back up at center is 5-11 220 lbs. Please don't start with the we recruit smaller, more mobile linemen stuff. The simple truth is, for whatever reason, we have done a poor job of bringing in legit sized linemen (on both sides of the ball) the past few years. We lost our top 4 O-line recruits in this last class. I don't know what the problem is, but it needs to be fixed now.

Wildcat80
April 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Will you guys miss Satterfield? Seems like he was the force behind your spread offense.

SideLine Shooter
April 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
APP could be very good. The thing here is that every week we get the best the other team has. It seems to be the goal of everyone to beat APP ST. If they beat App, they have had a successful year regardless of their final record. With that said, App has to be that much better than their competition every week. We saw what happened at JMU last year.

I'm glad an APP Fan did not start this thread. Now everyone stir the pot!

Touchdown Yosef
April 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Will you guys miss Satterfield? Seems like he was the force behind your spread offense.

Yes, you can't lose a coach like that and not feel the effects. We will be ok though we have great coaches and great offensive talent.

Socon games are scary as always we have to travel to Furman and Wofford this year as well as Elon. I for one will be extremely disappointed if our defense is not very much improved. We may once again have one of the top secondaries in the country so if we get out to a 14 point plus lead watch out we won't need a run D just pass rushers.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM

That is what I was going to ask. We had a new guy calling plays last year and it took our offense most of the season to really get in sync.

No matter how much talent you return, having a new guy telling the quarterback what to do is going to impact you.

Reign of Terrier
April 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Yes, you can't lose a coach like that and not feel the effects. We will be ok though we have great coaches and great offensive talent.

Socon games are scary as always we have to travel to Furman and Wofford this year as well as Elon. I for one will be extremely disappointed if our defense is not very much improved. We may once again have one of the top secondaries in the country so if we get out to a 14 point plus lead watch out we won't need a run D just pass rushers.

I would say something about that but we ran the ball for nearly 500 yards and still lost by 46

neersnbeers
April 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
That is what I was going to ask. We had a new guy calling plays last year and it took our offense most of the season to really get in sync.

No matter how much talent you return, having a new guy telling the quarterback what to do is going to impact you.

It's going to effect some in my opinion. However the Satterfield/Edwards relationship was pretty tight and Armanti learned alot. Might take a couple games to square away but I don't see it being a huge problem. Plus you have the rest of App's solid staff.

uofmman1122
April 5th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I've been waiting three years for a Montana - App playoff game.

I hope it happens this year. xnodx

AshevilleApp2
April 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM

In Boone. xnodx

CopperCat
April 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
In Boone. xnodx

Although unlikely, that would be very entertaining.

Mountaineer#96
April 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM
It is a great question as to why we have such small O linemen. I can understand the speed logic since we have that all around on both sides of the ball, but when I was a player 290 was the smallest we went over there. 6'3" 295 was about avg. for the O-line. Of course Kerry Brown was part of the core so he bumped our avg up pretty high. This new trend does baffle me though.

DLS
April 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM
i would be worried about the qbs coach if we didnt hire in house. not to mention edwards is pretty much good to go and dosent need muching coaching now anyways.

i am more worried about who they have replacing satterfield in the box.

jmufan999
April 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
What is there that could stand in your way?

people were saying the same thing going into the '08 playoffs about a JMU/App State re-match in the national championship game. how well did that work out? so to answer your question, the playoffs could stand in [their] way.

that said, i'm probably making ASU my preseason favorite, possibly Villanova or Richmond. certainly not a slam dunk for any team that i know of, especially with our funky playoff format. i really like the Weber State QB also, and might have them in the discussion. i don't know who they're returning, though. i digress.

KiddBrewer
April 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM
i saw legree in the gym at 7:00 am this morning workin like hell.......that area of the d is one thing that will not stand in the way of a possible trip to chatty.

JMU Newbill
April 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Until someone beats Richmond, shouldn't they be the "team to beat"? After all, App State has the exact same thing to show for last year as JMU does... a conference championship and a disappointing playoff loss.

Not taking away from App... they certainly do seem to have a lot of good things going on coming into the year.

JMU Newbill
April 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
In Boone. xnodx

Be careful what you wish for... Montana has a new playoff road game winning streak going. They beat some team last December... can't remember who it was though.

Woof
April 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing that one myself....with the winner to play Wofford in Chatty, of course.xthumbsupx

DLS
April 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Until someone beats Richmond, shouldn't they be the "team to beat"? After all, App State has the exact same thing to show for last year as JMU does... a conference championship and a disappointing playoff loss.

Not taking away from App... they certainly do seem to have a lot of good things going on coming into the year.

people round app have been talking about how great the 09 team should be way back in '07.

everyone knew before last season even began that the '09 team was going to be ridiculous.

now, o-line could be an issue or it could be really good but thats about the only variable this team has. its well known all the other areas are going to be money.

how many other teams can say that as of right now? richmond cant.

(disclaimer: im aware this is a homer post. sue me.)

biggie
April 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
^Is true. Everyone worried about Defense last year, then all the injuries occured and everyone started talking about this coming season. Though the OL is never really mentioned, a lot of App fans probably take a good OL for granted.

paward
April 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
people round app have been talking about how great the 09 team should be way back in '07.

everyone knew before last season even began that the '09 team was going to be ridiculous.

now, o-line could be an issue or it could be really good but thats about the only variable this team has. its well known all the other areas are going to be money.

how many other teams can say that as of right now? richmond cant.

(disclaimer: im aware this is a homer post. sue me.)

Richmond cant? What exactly does that mean?

DLS
April 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Richmond cant? What exactly does that mean?

richmond lost a number of key players. just like app did in '07 with lynch, dex, richardson, brown, . . . .

not saying saying that ya'lls guys stepping up arent going to be great but as far as the preseason is concerned they are unknown variables.

all im saying is app doesnt have that problem besides o-line and i dont think many other teams can say that, if any.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
richmond lost a number of key players. just like app did in '07 with lynch, dex, richardson, brown, . . . .

not saying saying that ya'lls guys stepping up arent going to be great but as far as the preseason is concerned they are unknown variables.

all im saying is app doesnt have that problem besides o-line and i dont think many other teams can say that, if any.

Don't you think a questionable offensive line is a problem?

We lost our D-ends, our running back, our fullback and our tight end. Everyone else is back. The other 17 starters are back ... plus our kicker and punter.

I hope we get a rubber match with the Mountaineers in December. Could be a battle for the ages.

DLS
April 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Don't you think a questionable offensive line is a problem?

We lost our D-ends, our running back, our fullback and our tight end. Everyone else is back. The other 17 starters are back ... plus our kicker and punter.

I hope we get a rubber match with the Mountaineers in December. Could be a battle for the ages.

thats exactly my point, our starting o-line isnt a question, it's what our back ups are capable of.

right now its an unknown.

a relatively small question compared to everyone else. as far as preseason app is the safest bet.

what team has less questions than app? (in all seriousness)

PhoenixMan
April 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Answer to what could stand in Appy's way......see the below attachment.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
thats exactly my point, our starting o-line isnt a question, it's what our back ups are capable of.

right now its an unknown.

a relatively small question compared to everyone else. as far as preseason app is the safest bet.

what team has less questions than app? (in all seriousness)

Richmond's questions:

1- Can we generate enough pressure with our new defensive ends that we don't have to blitz more in 2009?
2- Who runs the ball in short yardage?

Thats not a ton of questions either! The good news is we get to settle these questions on the field!

bpcats
April 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Appy should handle their conference pretty easily but the playoffs are always hard to roll through depending on which side of the bracket your playing on.

JMU had one of the best olines that I saw and I don't think they lose a thing with Landers gone. Dudzik was really pretty good.

Anytime a team has questions about their oline or their dline that is never a good thing.

The key will be if Appy can establish a running game besides Armanti to keep the opposing defenses honest

AppSt.09
April 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM

He hasn't stopped us yetxthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
April 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM

EXACTLY. Let's just go ahead and give the fightn christians the NC trophy and nobody will have to worry about the upcoming season.

AppMan
April 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Better post a picture of the guy who put the late hit on Armanti and hurt his knee. He is the only one who stopped ASU last season.

DLS
April 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Richmond's questions:

1- Can we generate enough pressure with our new defensive ends that we don't have to blitz more in 2009?
2- Who runs the ball in short yardage?

Thats not a ton of questions either! The good news is we get to settle these questions on the field!

thats two questions right there to app's one.

and that first question is a big one in my opinion especially in comparison to app's o-line.

honestly, is anyone really that worried about app's offense being productive? xrolleyesx

DLS
April 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Appy should handle their conference pretty easily but the playoffs are always hard to roll through depending on which side of the bracket your playing on.

JMU had one of the best olines that I saw and I don't think they lose a thing with Landers gone. Dudzik was really pretty good.

Anytime a team has questions about their oline or their dline that is never a good thing.

The key will be if Appy can establish a running game besides Armanti to keep the opposing defenses honest

we have the deepest group of running backs in the league.

devon
devin
robert
cedric
josh

all these guys have seen substantial pt and anyone of them could start and be productive. perks of injuries.

oh yea and lets not forget the great hype of rod chisholm coming up this year.

then you have to count all the quick wr's we run out of back field now too.

"can app establish a running game?" . . . . may god have mercy your souls.

PaladinFan
April 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I agree with a few others here. The SoCon is a very deep conference right now with a lot of playoff calibre talent.

Armanti is a senior and the best player in the country. However, like Davidson basketball, they rely too heavily on their one super star IMO. If Edwards goes down or plays poorly, App usually loses. Their supporting cast just isnt' there like it was a few years ago. Do they still have good players and a lot of speed? Sure. Can they win in a hostile environment without Edwards? It's a tough call.

One thing working against them in 2009 is their schedule. In 2008 they played all of their toughest competition in Boone (with the exception of Georgia Southern). In 2009 they go to Furman, to Wofford, to Elon, and to The Citadel. Factor in also they go back to back to back against Wofford, GSU, and Furman.

That said, ASU is still certainly the favorite until they get beaten. They are, however, beatable. Should be an interesting season in the SoCon.

AppSt.09
April 7th, 2009, 02:13 AM
From the speculation that has arisen from spring practice, I feel that Deandre Presley is more than capable in stepping up to the task of being able to step in for Armanti.

From a schedule POV I think that we have a good chance of being successful despite our away games. I'm not worried about the Citadel, and though Elon is stepping up as of late i still do not think that they have seen the brute force of an ASU assault since No. 14 took the helm. I'm always worried about FU and Wofford but I think that this years team will be more to handle than last year's team.

But, I may be a homer!

JMU Newbill
April 7th, 2009, 06:10 AM
From the speculation that has arisen from spring practice, I feel that Deandre Presley is more than capable in stepping up to the task of being able to step in for Armanti.

From a schedule POV I think that we have a good chance of being successful despite our away games. I'm not worried about the Citadel, and though Elon is stepping up as of late i still do not think that they have seen the brute force of an ASU assault since No. 14 took the helm. I'm always worried about FU and Wofford but I think that this years team will be more to handle than last year's team.

But, I may be a homer!

All of these arguments made for App St. with the basis that you are returning 21 of 22 starters... um... so is Elon. And you aren't worried about them? I love how cocky you guys are.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
All of these arguments made for App St. with the basis that you are returning 21 of 22 starters... um... so is Elon. And you aren't worried about them? I love how cocky you guys are.

yes but our 21 of 22 starters won the conference for the 4th time in a row last year.

yes it is cocky but also realistic.

not to mention elon has yet to become a playoff contender as people said they were suppose to be. Jerry moore even thought they were going to be the team to beat last season.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I agree with a few others here. The SoCon is a very deep conference right now with a lot of playoff calibre talent.

Armanti is a senior and the best player in the country. However, like Davidson basketball, they rely too heavily on their one super star IMO. If Edwards goes down or plays poorly, App usually loses. Their supporting cast just isnt' there like it was a few years ago. Do they still have good players and a lot of speed? Sure. Can they win in a hostile environment without Edwards? It's a tough call.

One thing working against them in 2009 is their schedule. In 2008 they played all of their toughest competition in Boone (with the exception of Georgia Southern). In 2009 they go to Furman, to Wofford, to Elon, and to The Citadel. Factor in also they go back to back to back against Wofford, GSU, and Furman.

That said, ASU is still certainly the favorite until they get beaten. They are, however, beatable. Should be an interesting season in the SoCon.

im sorry but how many games did we win without armanti in 2007?

even in 2008 pressley stepped up and handled business against western.

of course we rely on AE. he's the QUARTERBACK.

SideLine Shooter
April 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM

I believe all contenders have a star player that they build their team and their season around. I know everyone else out their will be glad to see Armanti graduate. In 2005 when we had FU in Boone for the semi game, Richie went down early in the game when an extra twist to his leg occured, Trey came in and had a great game, everyone stepped up and that started the string of three championships.

It should be an exciting season for the SoCon with a lot of great games. Anybody is beatable, ask Michigan. That is what makes college football so great. You said it yourself, (schedule wise) everybody aims for ASU, they mark that date on their schedule, that is how they measure where their program is at that point. What they have to do is make sure they take care of business elsewhere and not look ahead to APP. When they do some of the other teams will jump up and bite them, ask Elon.

App St. has played in this position for the last four years and they know they have to be ready every week. Injuries can happen to anyone as we saw too often last year. Somebody has to be ready to come in and step it up. That is why this board is called "Any Given Saturday."

SideLine Shooter
April 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Cocky, I believe MM wrote the book on COCKY!xlolxxlolx

ASUG8
April 7th, 2009, 08:47 AM

I like our chances this year, but I'm not about to get cocky enough to make any predictions yet. We should win the majority of our games, but we have a tough road schedule this year. Add in McNeese and ECU along with a resurgent FU team (along with GSU, Elon, and WoCo) and anything can happen. Let's get through the summer and see how we stack up with ECU and then maybe I'll start making prognostications but until then, it's baseball season. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM
im sorry but how many games did we win without armanti in 2007?

even in 2008 pressley stepped up and handled business against western.

of course we rely on AE. he's the QUARTERBACK.

If memory serves me, Edwards was limited against both GSU and Wofford in 2007. Trey Elder played much of the game. App lost both.

No one says that Pressley can't play quarterback. But don't you think Florida will take a hit when Tebow leaves, even when his backup was likely one of the top quarterback recruits in the country?

Also, App returns a lot of players, but check out the rest of the conference. SoCon was very young last year and most of the teams return just about everyone.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM
If memory serves me, Edwards was limited against both GSU and Wofford in 2007. Trey Elder played much of the game. App lost both.

No one says that Pressley can't play quarterback. But don't you think Florida will take a hit when Tebow leaves, even when his backup was likely one of the top quarterback recruits in the country?

Also, App returns a lot of players, but check out the rest of the conference. SoCon was very young last year and most of the teams return just about everyone.

and there were 4 games in 2007 were ae didnt play at all and we won those.

of course we'll take a hit when he leaves, we'll be lucky to ever see a player like him again at app. but, to say he's the only star on the team is ridiculous. if anything we have too many stars, look at the number of recievers that have recorded stats in some of our games last season. App works the ball around as good as anyone. no one player has mind blowing stats on our offense but if you look at our offense as a whole its very good.

we got stars all over

Reign of Terrier
April 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM

I don't have any stats on the game on the top of my head but I believe Elder played very well against us. BTW I also think Wofford was up at the half and if it weren't for a kick return for TD App would have been down 10ish at half with Armanti playing.

Saint3333
April 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM
For those hoping ASU falls when AE leaves you might want to see the listing of 2009 recruits.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
ive missed these appstate threads. so few and far between now it seems. *sigh*

Reign of Terrier
April 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM
For those hoping ASU falls when AE leaves you might want to see the listing of 2009 recruits.

I don't think they will fall off too much I just don't think they will win the conference. I can't say anything about how good you will be in 2010 unless I see your 2 deep. If there are any starters lost after this year than yes I will predict a drop off due to a lack of depth and experience on the offensive side of the ball. Wofford is already my preprepreseason 2010 Socon Champxwhistlex

SideLine Shooter
April 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I don't think they will fall off too much I just don't think they will win the conference. I can't say anything about how good you will be in 2010 unless I see your 2 deep. If there are any starters lost after this year than yes I will predict a drop off due to a lack of depth and experience on the offensive side of the ball. Wofford is already my preprepreseason 2010 Socon Champxwhistlex

xflaggedxxhomerx

Now that is a HOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!

SideLine Shooter
April 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Yep! We called that "THE MICHIGAN HANGOVER."

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Not any more impressive than any other team. I personally thought Wofford, GSU, and Furman had better classes top to bottom.

PaladinFan
April 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I don't have any stats on the game on the top of my head but I believe Elder played very well against us. BTW I also think Wofford was up at the half and if it weren't for a kick return for TD App would have been down 10ish at half with Armanti playing.

I didn't say that App can't play well without Edwards, only that if they don't have him in the lineup, they are good but not great.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Not any more impressive than any other team. I personally thought Wofford, GSU, and Furman had better classes top to bottom.

true but i think he was refering to the number of qb recruits we bought in. i dont think we want a situation like last year where coco hillary was having to some snaps just in case. haha

but im sure there is a more than adequate youngster in there if not pressley taking over, which is the likely choice as of right now.

Reign of Terrier
April 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
xflaggedxxhomerx

Now that is a HOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!

kinda, but from the looks of things we'll return 16 starters and the kickers from a team that I believe will win around 7 or games (that plays 2 FBS teams). My post did say if you lost OL you'd struggle and from the looks of things most of our DL/LBs will be back next year. Really the better we do this year the better we do next year. I based my presumption on what the conference looked like.

And it was kind of homerish:D

Skjellyfetti
April 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Hmmm, after last year I would think Wofford would be the last team to be cocky in the offseason. How quickly y'all forget....

Here's a reminder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sMfdcCrnTU

Brian Quick-- 4 catches for 172 yards and 2 touchdowns. He'll be back next year.
Ben Jorden-- 3 catches for 76 yards and 2 touchdowns. He'll be back next year.
Armanti Edwards-- 17 completions in 19 attempts for 367 yards for 5 touchdowns and 1 rushing. He'll be back next year.
Mark Legree-- 3 interceptions. He'll be back next year.

Everyone that scored a touchdown in that game will be back. xnodxxwhistlex

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM
i thought quick had 3 tds

JMU Newbill
April 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM

App lost to both CAA teams they played last year... with Armanti. No argument from a non-App State person carries any weight on this board unless you are arguing 1 of the following points:

1) Armanti Edwards is perfect
2) App State is going to win it all, regardless of any other team or whether Armanti gets hurt
3) The CAA is over rated

So, sorry PaladinFan. I agree 100% with all of your points, but you can't reason with stupid people. If AE gets hurt early on, App State might not even make the playoffs.

ASUG8
April 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
App lost to both CAA teams they played last year... with Armanti. No argument from a non-App State person carries any weight on this board unless you are arguing 1 of the following points:

1) Armanti Edwards is perfect
2) App State is going to win it all, regardless of any other team or whether Armanti gets hurt
3) The CAA is over rated

So, sorry PaladinFan. I agree 100% with all of your points, but you can't reason with stupid people. If AE gets hurt early on, App State might not even make the playoffs.

And beat both of them the prior year with Armanti....xconfusedx
If you don't want to read about what App fans' feelings are about the strength of their team this season, maybe this thread isn't for you. I don't think anyone has made any one of your three conditions as a statement except you so far. xnonox I think we could agree among the App fans that if we stay healthy this year we have as good a chance as any as going a long way. Our depth at some key positions puts us in a nice spot IMHO.

I won't get into this CAA/Socon pissing match that raged most of last year - these things tend to be cyclical anyway. We had it for a couple of years, last year was CAA's year. It really doesn't matter - maybe MM should stop instigating it, as I've never heard JM say anything derogatory about another conference as a whole.

Reign of Terrier
April 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Hmmm, after last year I would think Wofford would be the last team to be cocky in the offseason. How quickly y'all forget....

Here's a reminder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sMfdcCrnTU

Brian Quick-- 4 catches for 172 yards and 2 touchdowns. He'll be back next year.
Ben Jorden-- 3 catches for 76 yards and 2 touchdowns. He'll be back next year.
Armanti Edwards-- 17 completions in 19 attempts for 367 yards for 5 touchdowns and 1 rushing. He'll be back next year.
Mark Legree-- 3 interceptions. He'll be back next year.

Everyone that scored a touchdown in that game will be back. xnodxxwhistlex

we've already had Spring practice and from what I hear the secondary has already dramatically improved. Just picture how good they'll be the year after next. Armanti won't be there to make those throws.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 03:29 PM
i actually think 2010 is going to be a lot of fun to see how app responds to a post all american qb situation.

its going to be a gruesome position battle

Skjellyfetti
April 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM
i thought quick had 3 tds

He had two-- he jumped over the Wofford defense for one and ran past their defense for the other. :D

we've already had Spring practice and from what I hear the secondary has already dramatically improved. Just picture how good they'll be the year after next. Armanti won't be there to make those throws.

An improved secondary? Sounds like what you were saying back in October. xwhistlex

Defensively we're better than the stats show. We were banged up early this season and we weren't healthy until Chatty. Our Cbs have greatly improved-a bunch of Elon's receptions were due to them slipping on the wet ground. Expect the defense that's played the last 3 weeks.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1176313#post1176313

Reign of Terrier
April 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM
He had two-- he jumped over the Wofford defense for one and ran past their defense for the other. :D

An improved secondary? Sounds like what you were saying back in October. xwhistlex

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1176313#post1176313

True, true I do remember saying that (no link neccesary). However after having a period of time to review the game i don't think we'll lose that bad because:

A) we tried to attack Armanti and make him beat us with his pass game(xoopsx)...and that kind of worked but not the way we wanted it to.

as Ayers said Landers scared us the same way Armanti did so instead of attacking him we contained him. Even though it hurt us by them out rushing us we didn't get beat all that bad deep and JMU fans would probably agree that we had a good chance to pick off the ball on every TD (3 i think) pass but we slipped/fell down (now I can only dream of what we could have done had we not fallen down)

and B) We just tackled like S***, and I can explain that. The video even shows us tackling (or not) like s***.

Again we're talking about 2010 here--I'm not confident we'll win this year (though I think we'll keep it with in 20 or 30) We had a bunch of freshmen playing in the 2008 game--we swap around our DBs and had about 4 out of 8 that were upperclassmen(1/2 of those upperclassmen weren't recruited as dbs)

Saint3333
April 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM

I was specifically talking about the QB position. Others may have beaten ASU with line recruiting, but for skill players ASU came out on top. We are relatively young on the lines so 2010 should be another good one.

But let's not jump ahead the 2009 team on paper is better than the 2008 version, now that the freshman and sophomores on the lines and in the secondary have one more year of experience.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
no it was 3

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283052026

he had 58yd, 50yd, and a 31yd passes for td

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I was specifically talking about the QB position. Others may have beaten ASU with line recruiting, but for skill players ASU came out on top. We are relatively young on the lines so 2010 should be another good one.

But let's not jump ahead the 2009 team on paper is better than the 2008 version, now that the freshman and sophomores on the lines and in the secondary have one more year of experience.

Right. App returns a lot of players. However, my points still remain...

1. The 2009 team returns a lot of players, but still play at Elon, at Wofford, and at Furman.

2. Nearly every other team in the conference returns players who now have a year experience. Furman returns most of their offense and I think all of their skill players, Samford returns daggum near the whole team, GSU was mostly freshman last year, Elon still has Riddle/Hudgins, El Cid is still young, etc. I think any advantage there is more or less a wash b/c each team really is in the same boat.

3. App can win without Armanti, no doubt. He's an ace in the hole. However, it is more complicated to win without an ace in the hole than it is with one. Not impossible, just a lot more difficult. Without Armanti, the playing field is a whole lot more even than I think most ASU fans realize.

T-Dog
April 8th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Armanti played the majority of both games. In fact when Elder came in, he almost led us back in both those games. Armanti was terrible in the Wofford game (before going down with injury again) and had a bad first half against Georgia Southern. 3 offensive plays into the GaSo game we were down 14-0 (Foster had a 60+ yard TD run on the 2nd play, AE threw a pick six on our first offensive play of the day)

And the people saying that we will fall when AE leaves reminds me of when Richie was a senior and people saying we will fall when he leaves. xnodx

DLS
April 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Right. App returns a lot of players. However, my points still remain...

1. The 2009 team returns a lot of players, but still play at Elon, at Wofford, and at Furman.

2. Nearly every other team in the conference returns players who now have a year experience. Furman returns most of their offense and I think all of their skill players, Samford returns daggum near the whole team, GSU was mostly freshman last year, Elon still has Riddle/Hudgins, El Cid is still young, etc. I think any advantage there is more or less a wash b/c each team really is in the same boat.

3. App can win without Armanti, no doubt. He's an ace in the hole. However, it is more complicated to win without an ace in the hole than it is with one. Not impossible, just a lot more difficult. Without Armanti, the playing field is a whole lot more even than I think most ASU fans realize.

1. true, but hey we play GSU at app. :D

2. like i said before, our returning starters have already beat their returning starters last year

3. not saying we wont probably suffer a hit without him but to say we put TOO much emphasis on him is a stretch when we have still been productive sans AE.

Reign of Terrier
April 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM
2. like i said before, our returning starters have already beat their returning starters last year

So? Just because you beat them last year doesn't mean s&!t this year (though I understand this is just prognosticating)

For instance I know Elon is better than their 35 point loss to us and we are better than our 46 point loss to App. I have a feeling that both sides have learned and each game will probably be closer.

SideLine Shooter
April 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
So? Just because you beat them last year doesn't mean s&!t this year (though I understand this is just prognosticating)

For instance I know Elon is better than their 35 point loss to us and we are better than our 46 point loss to App. I have a feeling that both sides have learned and each game will probably be closer.

I think that would probably be a safe bet. Although, nothing is a sure bet. Believe me, I know.xnodx

DLS
April 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM

as far as the preseason goes it sure does.

what else do you have to go on besides how well your returning players performed last year?

CrackerRiley
April 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM

BINGO! I was just about to post this... xnodxxsmiley_wix

That should be the end of the "who is returning who" argument.

neersnbeers
April 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Ask any App coach, "Who has a stronger arm, Armanti or DP?" Your answer lies in the boy from Tampa. But can he be accurate? We'll see, he's taken a crapton of snaps this spring.

Reign of Terrier
April 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
as far as the preseason goes it sure does.

what else do you have to go on besides how well your returning players performed last year?

Spring footballxwhistlex

DLS
April 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Spring footballxwhistlex

tuche'

but thats only comparable to the team and no one else.

like richmond's offense out scoring the defense during the sping game unlike they did in 08's spring game means what? their defense has dropped off or their offense has improved?

Reign of Terrier
April 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
tuche'

like richmond's offense out scoring the defense during the sping game unlike they did in 08's spring game means what? their defense has dropped off or their offense has improved?

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090314/NEWS/903140977

...how well our secondary is doing.

Granted we are not a passing team in the first place but we sure as heck are better than we were in the last few years and our secondary is improving.

when it comes to preseason all you base it on is whose coming back and who beat who. Spring practice helps us clarify any problems.

we had five questions going into spring ball:

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090301/NEWS/903010965

1. OL--they did solid against practically the same DL that played last year minus 2 players (Armanti said it himself Wofford had the best DL) and they are coached by one of the best OL coaches in the country IMO.

2) RBs-- From the looks of things we will be healthy by fall and have about 5 RBs.

3)LBs--I have not seen them but someone on terrierfans who did see them said that they were very quick and that there would be no drop off.

4) QBs--they were solid last year and they appear to be a tidbit more naturally talented than Ben Widmyer IMO

5) special teams--the thing that still needs work

So really overall we appear to be improving on defense and mighty solid on offense. We're going to unsurprisingly surprise people this year (againxreadx)

Preseasonly App is the favorite no doubt but when it comes to my team I still think we have what it takes to beat them as we do everyone else.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
tuche'

I agree with you here. I want to hear a coach admit to having a 'bad spring ball'. Spring ball is just a chance for some of the younger kids to show off.

PS- regarding our spring game, so many kids didn't play or were limited, that you can't take anything away from it. I think Ward took 5 or 6 snaps.