View Full Version : NAU-A-Palooza

Pages : [1] 2

Lumberjacks76
April 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Ole Miss and Arizona.

Paul

mtgrizfan4life
April 3rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
How did they pull this off? Or is this a late April Fools joke?
IF true, better hope egrizzers do not get hold of this, they will never let our athletic dept forget it. Well NAU can do it, why can't we?

Kudos to NAU if true.xthumbsupx

CrazyCat
April 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
xprost2x xbeerchugx

Thundar
April 3rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Ole Miss and Arizona.

Paul

ummmm nope but Southern Utah is on the home slate!

http://nau.newtier.com/index.php?module=pnNews&tid=18&sid=2887

Casey_Orourke
April 3rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm fairly sure that next season (2010) Portland State will have both Arizona State and by virtue of their cancellation with the Central Michigan Chippawas, the Oregon Ducks.

Ivytalk
April 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM
They may be playing them, but I'd be shocked if NAU (or any FCS school) ever gets to "host" a BCS school.

Franks Tanks
April 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
They may be playing them, but I'd be shocked if NAU (or any FCS school) ever gets to "host" a BCS school.

They are not hosting either team-- its says so in the schools press release posted above.

Uncle Rico's Clan
April 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Montana hosted Idaho a few years back, but I don't know if that really counts.

Hellgate60
April 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Montana hosted Idaho a few years back, but I don't know if that really counts.

They hosted the Vandals more than once. Wasn't it Three times the Vandals came to Missoula?

Grizaholic17
April 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM
They hosted the Vandals more than once. Wasn't it Three times the Vandals came to Missoula?

It's been three time since they moved out of conference that they've been in Missoula (1999, 2001, 2003), and once when montana traveled there (2002). Wouldn't mind scheduling them again for a cupcake BCS school xcoffeex

Lumberjacks76
April 4th, 2009, 09:24 PM
NAU is very brave to schedule two BCS teams in Arizona and Ole Miss. That shows that the NAU athletic department is putting together another quality schedule with challenge and intrigue.

Paul

Native
April 5th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Well, er... never mind the hosting part... xrolleyesx

Congratulations on a tough out of conference schedule. xthumbsupx

Now go out there and win one of 'em! xnodx

eagle1
April 5th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Whatever? EWU played Oregon State and West Virginia in 2006, BYU in 2007, Texas Tech and Colorado in 2008, and scheduled to take on California in 2009. It is not brave but called paying the bills. Who ever titled this with "hosting" deserves to be shot. Best of luck. We are scheduled to take on Oregon State and another BCS in 2010. This is a sign of the times and we need to pay bills. Wait, are you going to call Idaho State courages for hosting Oklahoma next fall. Go Eagles!!!xlolx

Wildcat80
April 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Actually if hosting a second BCS game would get us needed stadium improvements I'd be all for it! I wonder what the players would say? Lets face it getting an FBS game puts you in the national conversation that week-win or lose. A win every now & then gets darn exciting!!

UNHFan99
April 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM
if you lose both games it also puts you out of the playoffs with the tough CAA schedule. Winning games is the priority of UNH football. Only by winning games can you get in the playoffs and win a national Championship. Scheduling two BCS teams wont raise the 36 million they need for a stadium. Winning a national championship might help.

89Hen
April 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
NAU is very brave to schedule two BCS teams in Arizona and Ole Miss. That shows that the NAU athletic department is putting together another quality schedule with challenge and intrigue.

Paul
Not quite Paul. It shows the NAU athletic department is whoring it's football out to generate revenue. In a system where 8 wins usually gets you a playoff bid, scheduling two I-A's in one season puts you behind the 8 ball before your team even takes the field. xnonox

Lumberjacks76
April 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
NAU must need the revenue then. To schedule two BCS schools in a season suggests a possible budget crisis.

Paul

JALMOND
April 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Not quite Paul. It shows the NAU athletic department is whoring it's football out to generate revenue. In a system where 8 wins usually gets you a playoff bid, scheduling two I-A's in one season puts you behind the 8 ball before your team even takes the field. xnonox

And no getting past that fact either. Scheduling two (or even three) FBS teams reduces a chance at a "mulligan" during the season. In 2006, Portland State played three FBS teams (New Mexico, Cal and Oregon), went 1-2 against those three, all three FBS teams went to bowls that year and PSU stayed home because their only bad game all year was against Montana State, a team they tied for second at the end of conference play.

89Hen
April 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
NAU must need the revenue then. To schedule two BCS schools in a season suggests a possible budget crisis.

Paul
You're not alone. I just think there are better ways to help an athletic department. xpeacex

JetsLuvver
April 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Delaware hosted Navy in 1992.

Youngstown State hosted Kent State in 1994 and 1997.

Prior to about 1989, I-A teams playing road games against I-AA opponents was actually somewhat common.

Native
April 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
You're not alone. I just think there are better ways to help an athletic department. xpeacex

The West is different than the East. There just aren't that many I-AA teams in the West.

89Hen
April 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM
The West is different than the East. There just aren't that many I-AA teams in the West.
True, but if it were my team and given the choice of two I-A's or one I-A and one DII, I'd take the DII. I know they don't count toward playoffs, but they also don't kill you. 8-3 with a DII might make it, 7-4 will not 99% of the time.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Actually if hosting a second BCS game would get us needed stadium improvements I'd be all for it! I wonder what the players would say? Lets face it getting an FBS game puts you in the national conversation that week-win or lose. A win every now & then gets darn exciting!!

if you lose both games it also puts you out of the playoffs with the tough CAA schedule. Winning games is the priority of UNH football. Only by winning games can you get in the playoffs and win a national Championship. Scheduling two BCS teams wont raise the 36 million they need for a stadium. Winning a national championship might help.

Agreed that playing a second FBS game won't raise the money needed for the stadium project. Playing FBS games and performing well does provide increased exposure and publicity that should help all fund raising though. Especially with so many of our ice hockey zealots who look down their noses at the rest of the UNH Athletic Department. Winning at Rutgers and Northwestern was eye opening to that crowd IMHO.

I agree with UNHFan99 and 89Hen about losing two FBS games requiring an almost perfect conference run to make the playoffs. In a perfect world, no FCS team would do so. On the other side though as a fan these games are significantly more attractive than the games we've had recently with Iona, pre-full scholly Stony Brook, pre-increased scholly Central CT and even recent games with Dartmouth. But they served a purpose -- getting to the playoffs. And playoff games have brought incredible excitement. Although I'm still not sure what I'd list as my ultimate UNH moment, witnessing those wins at Rutgers and Northwestern or winning tight playoff games at Georgia Southern and Hampton. And I've already posed this question to some friends -- what would be bigger for UNH winning the FCS National Championship or beating the UCH Beagles in 2014. Because of the ignorance of many fans, I suspect beating UCH would be although I feel winning the NC is a greater accomplishment. (Four quality FCS playoff wins is tougher than gearing up for one FBS game.)

My biggest fear is that the economic climate that has already forced many FCS schools to schedule two FBS teams is going to trickle down to significantly more schools including our Wildcats. News flash, the State of NH isn't riding in like the cavalry to provide additional financial assistance!! I doubt they're even going to do that on the academic side of the house. Without increased financial support from alumni/fans and/or corporate sponsorship or other revenue, the reality is going to be higher ticket prices and a possible second FBS game, correct? I'd hate being behind the proverbial 8-Ball for the playoffs, but I shudder at the alternatives! If any of the UNH folks want to discuss that further (this is an NAU thread after all), either let me know and I'll start a thread over on the UNH Forum or you can do so yourself.

IaaScribe
April 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
NAU is so bad off financially that it was entertaining the idea of suspending the football program. Don't think for a minute that this is about anything but money.

Lumberjacks76
April 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Where did you hear that about NAU?

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I hadn't heard that NAU's finances were that bad. Where did you hear that?

Paul

Franks Tanks
April 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I hadn't heard that NAU's finances were that bad. Where did you hear that?

Paul

The state of Arizona announded they were cutting funding to state schools by a large margin.

JALMOND
April 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
The state of Arizona announded they were cutting funding to state schools by a large margin.

Not just Arizona. A lot of states are having to cut funding to state schools to meet their budgets. Oregon is also slashing funding to all the state universities. U of O and OSU are doing OK, but the word is that they will also feel the proverbial "belt-tightning". PSU is finding the money tight as well, but the Oregon schools really struggling are Eastern Oregon, Southern Oregon and Oregon Tech. We all could find our teams between a rock and a hard place, either schedule two or three FBS teams and generate money or, ultimately, not have a football team at all.

Franks Tanks
April 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Not just Arizona. A lot of states are having to cut funding to state schools to meet their budgets. Oregon is also slashing funding to all the state universities. U of O and OSU are doing OK, but the word is that they will also feel the proverbial "belt-tightning". PSU is finding the money tight as well, but the Oregon schools really struggling are Eastern Oregon, Southern Oregon and Oregon Tech. We all could find our teams between a rock and a hard place, either schedule two or three FBS teams and generate money or, ultimately, not have a football team at all.

Of cousre-- but Arizona has been amongst the hardest hit states in terms of forclosure's and unemployment due to the real estate downturn. They are losing a lot of tax revenue.

Lumberjacks76
April 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
That's too bad. NAU needs football.

Paul

griz8791
April 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Paul, there was a rumor going around that an unidentified Big Sky school was looking at dropping football. Speculation then ensued about who it might be. Many were suspicious it might be NAU because of Arizona's well publicized budget crisis and directive to all of its universities to make the deepest budget cuts possible.

Lumberjacks76
April 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
NAU football is important. I hope it is just speculation.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
http://nau.newtier.com/index.php?module=pnNews&tid=18&sid=2919

Doesn't look like their dropping football.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Will someone please contact NAU athletic director Jim Fallis and ask if NAU is considering aborting the football program at NAU?

I don't have his email address. Thanks!

Paul

griz8791
April 8th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I guess what I was trying to say is I don't remember anyone having any reliable inside information that NAU was actually considering dropping football.

Lumberjacks76
April 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Athletic director Jim Fallis mentions "challenging economic times":

http://nau.newtier.com/index.php?module=pnNews&tid=18&sid=2887

Paul

JALMOND
April 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Paul, there was a rumor going around that an unidentified Big Sky school was looking at dropping football. Speculation then ensued about who it might be. Many were suspicious it might be NAU because of Arizona's well publicized budget crisis and directive to all of its universities to make the deepest budget cuts possible.

I'd have to say that the only Big Sky schools not in danger of dropping football are Montana and Montana State in my opinion. The other states all have larger football programs they need to compete within their respective states for state funding, so anyone could go. Washington, Oregon, California and Arizona all place an emphasis on their Pac-10 institutions, Idaho now has two schools in the WAC, Utah funds the Mountain West and Colorado has the Big 12. The less visible schools will feel the pinch quicker than these larger schools.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Football is a key revenue generator in the Big Sky for most teams, including NAU. They need football.

Paul

eaglesrthe1
April 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM
It's been three time since they moved out of conference that they've been in Missoula (1999, 2001, 2003), and once when montana traveled there (2002). Wouldn't mind scheduling them again for a cupcake BCS school xcoffeex

You could host them 50 times, and whip them 50 times, and you still would have hosted or beaten a BCS school.

The same goes for Navy, or Akron for that matter.

texcap
April 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Yes, it puts you behind the 8 ball, but it is possible to still be successful AND play two BCS teams in a year. Appalachian played two FBS (both from BCS conferences) and won a National Championship in 2005. It is tough but not impossible.

Lumberjacks76
April 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
The budget crisis in Arizona almost requires that they schedule two I-A teams a year to earn extra revenue.

Paul

JALMOND
April 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
The budget crisis in Arizona almost requires that they schedule two I-A teams a year to earn extra revenue.

Paul

Which makes me wonder why schedule a game at Mississippi? The costs associated with bussing and flying from Flagstaff to Oxford have got to be pretty high (bus to Phoenix, fly to Memphis, bus to Oxford). Why not try to schedule a game at UNLV or some other Mountain West or Pac-10 school? Is Mississippi helping you out with expenses?

In 2006, we postponed our game at McNeese and played Cal. Much easier on the pocketbook going from Portland to the Bay Area than getting to Lake Charles.

Lumberjacks76
April 10th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Ole Miss is offering $400,000 to play NAU in Oxford.

Paul

Franks Tanks
April 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Paul

Paul

Thats what we have been saying all along

Jim

Lumberjacks76
April 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
NAU needs more money, obviously. But that's true of Arizona State and Arizona as well. All 3 state universities are hurting in the pocket book.

Paul

JALMOND
April 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Ole Miss is offering $400,000 to play NAU in Oxford.

Paul

I would have thought, as Mississippi is an SEC school and you having to travel all that way, you would have held out for at least $750,000. The amount Mississippi is giving you, I would have thought Arizona would give you that.

If I remember correctly, in 2006 we got $200,000 for playing New Mexico, and $400,000 each from Cal and Oregon. The SEC is pretty lucrative (although no confirmation, just what I've heard), so I would have thought you'd get almost double from what the Pac-10 school would give you. LSU, another SEC school, gave Oregon State a tidy sum a few years back to open in Baton Rouge.

Lumberjacks76
April 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Maybe that is all they could afford?

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 12th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I would have thought, as Mississippi is an SEC school and you having to travel all that way, you would have held out for at least $750,000. The amount Mississippi is giving you, I would have thought Arizona would give you that.

If I remember correctly, in 2006 we got $200,000 for playing New Mexico, and $400,000 each from Cal and Oregon. The SEC is pretty lucrative (although no confirmation, just what I've heard), so I would have thought you'd get almost double from what the Pac-10 school would give you. LSU, another SEC school, gave Oregon State a tidy sum a few years back to open in Baton Rouge.

Only $200,000? That's not much.

Paul

JALMOND
April 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Only $200,000? That's not much.

Paul

All three were net figures (ended up netting 1 million for the program). Also, we took the win in Albuquerque back to Portland.

Lumberjacks76
April 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Portland State defeated New Mexico?

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
NAU's OOC schedule with results since 1995
------------------------------------------
1995 New Mexico 45, NAU 21
NAU 62, Sacramento State 7
NAU 62, Abilene Christian 0
NAU 68, Northridge State 7

1996 NAU 75, Western New Mexico 0
New Mexico 49, NAU 33
NAU 43, Southern Utah 14
Furman 42, NAU 31*

1997 New Mexico 33, NAU 10
NAU 33, Saint Cloud State 10
NAU 40, Minnesota-Duluth 6

1998 NAU 9, California Poly San Luis Obispo 0
NAU 38, Texas State 16
NAU 28, Western State 9

1999 NAU 55, California Poly San Luis Obispo 21
New Mexico 45, NAU 14
NAU 29, Texas State 26
Georgia Southern 72, NAU 29*

2000 NAU 32, Chadron State 24
New Mexico 35, NAU 28
Southern Utah 27, NAU 23

2001 NAU 30, Northridge State 17
NAU 10, Stephen F. Austin 3
NAU 41, Southern Utah 12
Oregon State 45, NAU 10
Sam Houston State 34, NAU 31*

2002 Arizona 37, NAU 3
NAU 31, California Poly San Luis Obispo 24
NAU 40, Sam Houston State 14
NAU 24, Saint Mary's (CA) 12

2003 NAU 44, Saint Mary's (CA) 3
Arizona State 34, NAU 14
NAU 24, California Poly San Luis Obispo 7
NAU 34, Sam Houston State 18
NAU 35, McNeese State 3*
Florida Atlantic 48, NAU 25*

2004 Arizona 21, NAU 3
Stephen F. Austin 24, NAU 17
NAU 34, Western New Mexico 14
Northern Iowa 45, NAU 21

2005 NAU 52, Adams State 13
Arizona 31, NAU 12
NAU 27, Southern Utah 7
Northern Iowa 41, NAU 17

2006 Arizona State 35, NAU 14
Utah 45, NAU 7
NAU 66, Dixie State 14

2007 NAU 47, Western New Mexico 0
Arizona 45, NAU 24
Appalachian State 34, NAU 21

2008 Arizona State 30, NAU 13
NAU 68, New Mexico Highlands 10
NAU 19, Southern Utah 14

* - playoff game

Paul

TexasTerror
April 13th, 2009, 10:27 PM
SHSU won when it mattered most against NAU... :)

blukeys
April 14th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Is there a point to this other than NAU beat McNeese In 2003 and then were crushed a week later by Florida Atlantic????

By the way Congrats on your whipping of St. Cloud State (1997) and St. Mary's (2002). These wins definitely get respect for any program.

Lumberjacks76
April 14th, 2009, 09:33 AM
It just shows who NAU has played OOC since 1995. We've played some good teams and some poor teams. Just a really interesting mixture of teams.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I was thinking that NAU would look cooler if they updated their uniform, including their helmet.

Paul

Montanan
April 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I was thinking that NAU would look cooler if they updated their uniform, including their helmet.

Paul

how bout an idea on how you'd like them to look.

mvemjsunpx
April 14th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Didn't they just update them a couple years ago? They've changed them somewhat frequently this decade.

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Back in 1995, the Jacks had yellow helmets with cursive writing that said "Jacks" and light blue jerseys. They then changes in 1999 to dark blue and in 2005 to dark blue with a dark blue helmet.

Paul

ValleyChamp
April 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I think they should use leather helmets.

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Any updates as to how he is progressing?

Paul

SIUallDay
April 15th, 2009, 01:12 PM
pics?

eagle1
April 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I think that NAU needs to pick a color of blue and stick with it for more than a couple of years. I personally like the dark or navy blue but not with the gold. Go Eagles!!!

CrazyCat
April 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Just a thought but there are three teams in the Big Sky with blue and gold colors, NAU should use their school colors of navy blue and sage green.

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure if Sage Green is the right word for the color NAU uses.

Paul

Uncle Buck
April 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Pics would help.

In my own world, i understand Hofstra may undergo another uni change. Not the helmets again, but the jerseys and pants. I would welcome that to be true since we look like a flag football team with the current jerseys.

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
http://nau.newtier.com/index.php?module=pnNews&tid=18

Paul

CrazyCat
April 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure if Sage Green is the right word for the color NAU uses.

Paul

That's what I'm saying. You use blue and gold but your official school colors are blue & sage. Sorry to get all MplsBison on ya. xlolx

Here ya go Buck

http://nau.newtier.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10009/normal_LanceKriesien~0.jpg

Uncle Buck
April 15th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks Crazy Cat.

I went to the link as well, i kind of like the brighter blue in this pic

http://nau.newtier.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10007/normal_Perrigo_MSU1.jpg

But then i do like the darker home uniforms. Sage is a tough color to build a uniform around if you ask me. Then again, what the hell do i know.

Montanan
April 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I think they should use leather helmets.

you ment synthetic leather, right! ;)

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
His last name is Herrick, I believe.

Paul

Montanan
April 15th, 2009, 07:26 PM
That's what I'm saying. You use blue and gold but your official school colors are blue & sage. Sorry to get all MplsBison on ya. xlolx

Here ya go Buck

http://nau.newtier.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10009/normal_LanceKriesien~0.jpg

those are official NAU colors!

Link to official NAU colors (http://www4.nau.edu/marketing/colors.asp)

Link to official MSU colors (http://www.montana.edu/wwwur/licensing/montanastateidentity.pdf)

Montanan
April 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
the name is a good place to start. xnodx

CrazyCat
April 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but your the only NAU guy around so your gonna have to answer your own question.xpeacex

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM
No real news, just practice. Not much mentioned about the QBs. Just the LBs.

Paul

CrazyCat
April 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks Montanan I was looking for those links and couldn't find them.

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Blue and Gold sounds better than Sage Green and Gold.

Paul

mvemjsunpx
April 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Just a thought but there are three teams in the Big Sky with blue and gold colors, NAU should use their school colors of navy blue and sage green.

Not to quibble too much, but MSU & UNC use true, metallic gold while NAU uses yellow.

Montanan
April 15th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Not to quibble too much, but MSU & UNC use true, metallic gold while NAU uses yellow.

i believe if you check, you'll find more schools using the "yellow" gold than the metallic gold. on another note, MSU uses 4 different gold colors.

WVAPPmountaineer
April 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I have only seen them once in person when they came to Boone a couple of years ago - believe they wore all white unis so not much to remember, however, I do like the helmet and logo ----

93henfan
April 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
New logo?

http://http://www.history.com/minisites/axmen/images/axmen_logo.png

89Hen
April 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Back in 1995, the Jacks had yellow helmets with cursive writing that said "Jacks"
xoopsx xnonono2x xnonono2x

Sorry Griz and Colgate fans... putting half the team name on the helmet in cursive or a baseball tail logo is the ultimate cop-out IMO.

ChooChoo
April 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
http://jack.dyksen.com/jack/images/jackmcfarland.jpg
Just Jack!

JALMOND
April 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Portland State defeated New Mexico?

Paul

Sorry I'm late getting back to this. In 2006, Portland State beat New Mexico 17-6 the first game of the year. New Mexico ending up in a bowl game that year, meaning that Portland State went 1-2 against FBS bowl teams, losing to both Cal and Oregon.

Lumberjacks76
April 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Why did Portland State schedule 3 FBS teams in a single season?

Paul

Montanan
April 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
http://jack.dyksen.com/jack/images/jackmcfarland.jpg
Just Jack!

well it appears ya didn't get banned, so did ya get a warning?xeekxxlolxxeekx

JALMOND
April 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Why did Portland State schedule 3 FBS teams in a single season?

Paul

Same reason why NAU scheduled two this year. Short on the budget and needed money. We had New Mexico only to start the year. Oregon lost a game and, per the state charter, they offered the opening to us. The state budget office moved money around between us, Oregon and Southern Oregon, who we had scheduled for that day. Cal also lost a game and offered us cash to play, too.

Lumberjacks76
April 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Portland State is an up-and-coming Big Sky conference power. They have been highly competitive since they joined the league. They also defeated Hawai'i 45-20 in the 2000 season.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
With three straight 6-5 seasons in the last three:

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/narizona.htm

Paul

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I'm really confused at where you are going with all these NAU-specific threads...?

Lumberjacks76
April 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Slow news day. Not much in the way of NAU news.

Paul

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Plenty of news here...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=33

Mountaineer
April 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I'm really confused at where you are going with all these NAU-specific threads...?

Does it matter how many NAU threads get posted here?

No one cares about Sam Houston State either (as evidence of you being the only Bearkat around), but that doesn't stop you from posting news (that no else cares about). xrolleyesx

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Does it matter how many NAU threads get posted here?

It most certainly does not, this was just one of several threads, essentially one-line threads about Northern Arizona, that he has posted that made want to go, "Huh?"

Lumberjacks76
April 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Any clue?

Paul

Retro
April 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Doesn't NAU have it's own message board for the attention starved?xreadx

achrist70
April 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
From looking at pictures of it, the price tag would be high because there isn't really any place to put them so you would be looking at structural change.

On another note is there a need, the Sky Dome is very very similar to the UNI Dome, and we had trouble filling all the seats, and we made the semi-finals (not trying to talk smack, just stating facts).

813Jag
April 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
man, this place is dead right now. xreadx

mvemjsunpx
April 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
NAU should probably concentrate on filling the Walkup Skydome's existing seats first…

Grizo406
April 17th, 2009, 12:10 AM
xoopsx xnonono2x xnonono2x

Sorry Griz and Colgate fans... putting half the team name on the helmet in cursive or a baseball tail logo is the ultimate cop-out IMO.

Do you think that copying an FBS team's helmet falls into the "ultimate cop-out category"?xeyebrowx

I Bleed Purple
April 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I'd consider doing some heavy Weber threads, but I'm way too lazy to do that.

Not Paul

grizband
April 17th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Montana is 105-22 since 2000....xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
April 17th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Montana is 105-22 since 2000....xthumbsupx/thread

wideright82
April 17th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Do you think that copying an FBS team's helmet falls into the "ultimate cop-out category"?xeyebrowx

Grizo that was done when you were like 38, back in the early 1900's, they didn't use logos then, just those horrible helmets xlolxxlolxxsmiley_wix

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I don't know why some teams use cursive and others do not (on their helmets). It might be an issue with the design team not being imaginative enough.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Will it again be vaunted this season?

Paul

laxVik
April 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I christen this official NAU week.

ncbears
April 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Paul,

Not to be a prick, but shouldn't you put this topic on the NAU board?

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I was unaware of another NAU board out there. I've posted here because it is FCS.

Paul

GOKATS
April 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Paul,

Not to be a prick, but shouldn't you put this topic on the NAU board?

I agree, why post a bunch of posts on AGS that noone outside of NAU can answer? I have a pretty good idea how good Montana States 'D' will be but I couldn't make an honest guess about any other FCS team.

If you have some news or updates about NAU let us know.:)

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I agree, why post a bunch of posts on AGS that noone outside of NAU can answer? I have a pretty good idea how good Montana States 'D' will be but I couldn't make an honest guess about any other FCS team.

If you have some news or updates about NAU let us know.:)

Here's the only news I could find:

http://nau.newtier.com/index.php?module=pnNews&tid=18

Paul

already123
April 18th, 2009, 11:56 PM
NAU returns 2 outstanding DEs and one of the best groups of LBs we have had in a long time. However, the departure of KJ Gerard, Cyrus Igono, and Adam Wright leave big holes in the secondary. We all know that NAUs run defense last year was one of the best in BSC history, but the secondary will be exposed. The just is still out on the returning players and JuCo additions. With both DB coaches leaving in the off-season (one being the Defensive coodinator, leaving a very young and green Andy Thompson in his place), the chances of NAU improving on its woes in this pass happy leauge do not look good.
I would be happy with last years results at this point.

already123
April 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
apparently NAU will be having new uniforms next year, Im not sure about the helments though....

already123
April 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Ahh, the defenition of AVERAGE.
6-5 again?

already123
April 18th, 2009, 11:59 PM
NAU should probably concentrate on filling the Walkup Skydome's existing seats first…

From the plans I saw a couple years back (before the economic crisis) I saw they were thinking about taking as many as 4,000 seats OUT for boxes and "booster love"

This makes more sense.

I do not remember the last time NAU sat 10,000 people in the SkyDome

already123
April 19th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Souers says he is "excited about the QB play"

Ive heard this before....

already123
April 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
looks like we will be revisiting 6-5

Native
April 19th, 2009, 02:43 PM
And no getting past that fact either. Scheduling two (or even three) FBS teams reduces a chance at a "mulligan" during the season. In 2006, Portland State played three FBS teams (New Mexico, Cal and Oregon), went 1-2 against those three, all three FBS teams went to bowls that year and PSU stayed home because their only bad game all year was against Montana State, a team they tied for second at the end of conference play.

Wow! Although I am not anti-FBS, that's the best example I have yet heard of why NOT to schedule too many FBS games. xthumbsupx

Native
April 19th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Yup! xsmiley_wix

Native
April 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
True, but if it were my team and given the choice of two I-A's or one I-A and one DII, I'd take the DII. I know they don't count toward playoffs, but they also don't kill you. 8-3 with a DII might make it, 7-4 will not 99% of the time.

Got to disagree with you on that one, 89Hen. According to the playoff manual, the D-II win would not help at all. xrulesx

On the other hand, a close played against an FBS opponent might just help tip the scales with the selection committee for a team on the playoff bubble. :)

Native
April 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'd consider doing some heavy Weber threads, but I'm way too lazy to do that.

Not Paul

Well, then. Contribute more to my Weber threads! xsmiley_wix

I need your "Weber 45 - Montana 28" signature icon in the threads! xnodx

Lumberjacks76
April 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
The Skydome holds 15,000 or so. A new stadium could hold many more.

Paul

Thundar
April 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM
The Skydome holds 15,000 or so. A new stadium could hold many more.

Paul

do you fill the 15,000 every game??

TexasTerror
April 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Why build a new stadium?

Does NAU have the money to even finance a new stadium? Just upgrade your current facility.

uofmman1122
April 28th, 2009, 04:59 AM
do you fill the 15,000 every game??Last time the Griz played there, there were more Griz fans than NAU fans.

Lumberjacks76
April 28th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Lumberjack fans are sometimes apathetic. They don't always support NAU like they should.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
May 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
He's a transfer from Ole Miss.

Paul

IaaScribe
May 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM
104 for 474, 623 yards, 6 TD, 37 INT

Lumberjacks76
May 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I doubt such numbers.

Paul

IaaScribe
May 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Sarcasm flies well over your head.

Syntax Error
May 5th, 2009, 06:06 PM
He's a transfer from Ole Miss.
PaulPaul, how will NAU QB Michael Herrick do this year?

Lumberjacks76
May 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
He has Conrad Meadows to throw the ball to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_NKq5BbqLE

Paul

laxVik
May 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
He has Conrad Meadows to throw the ball to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_NKq5BbqLE

Paul
Who cares? This is not the lumberjack forum.

Lumberjacks76
May 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM
He seems quite mobile in the pocket and a solid passer. We shall see.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
May 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Herrick has natural ability in the pocket and can throw on a dime. He has good hands, quick feet and a durable physique. It sounds like he's the man for NAU at the QB position.

Paul

laxVik
May 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Herrick has natural ability in the pocket and can throw on a dime. He has good hands, quick feet and a durable physique. It sounds like he's the man for NAU at the QB position.

Paul
Talking to yourself now? I nominate you for most annoying poster for the month of May.

technocat
May 6th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Who cares? This is not the lumberjack forum.

Well it's not a App State forum either and look at all the crap we have to put up with from you guys. If you don't like the thread don't freaking read it!

I think Herrick will do fine. He appears to have some very solid tools and with their defense, probably won't be playing from behind. I heard NAU lost there top running back so that'll be a big hurdle to jump but we'll see. Oughta be a hell of a year in the big sky.

Lumberjacks76
May 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
NAU still has senior RB Alex Henderson, so they should be fine in that department.

Paul

uofmman1122
May 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Well it's not a App State forum either and look at all the crap we have to put up with from you guys. If you don't like the thread don't freaking read it!...Umm...

I'm pretty sure laxVik is a PSU fan.

Just a hunch. xlolx

ncbears
May 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Paul - any chance NAU can get their own board? THis is getting annoying!

Franks Tanks
May 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Paul - any chance NAU can get their own board? THis is getting annoying!

NAU has a board

http://lumberjacks.bigskyfans.com/

It is in another posters sig!

appmaj
May 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM
NAU has the cheerleader of the week at SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/campus.cheer.Dena/content.3.html

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/campus.cheer.Dena/images/YP_Dena-NAU_YPM38890.jpg

appmaj
May 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I think this is the best pic of her though, us App State boys love our snowboarding girls

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/campus.cheer.Dena/images/YP_Dena-NAU__BO_7505.jpg

griz8791
May 7th, 2009, 04:01 PM
NAU has the cheerleader of the week at SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/campus.cheer.Dena/content.3.html

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/campus.cheer.Dena/images/YP_Dena-NAU_YPM38890.jpg

So . . . do any of you poor dumb bastards still think there is too much NAU posting going on?

laxVik
May 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
So . . . do any of you poor dumb bastards still think there is too much NAU posting going on?3 minutes ago, yes.

appmaj
May 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM
So . . . do any of you poor dumb bastards still think there is too much NAU posting going on?

As oppossed to too much Montana posting???

griz8791
May 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
As oppossed to too much Montana posting???

Time out for a clarification.

First, kudos to you, appmaj, for finding and posting the NAU hottie pic. There is no such thing as a bad time or place for hottie pics. I was trying to suggest that because you had found and posted the NAU hottie pic, the guys who were starting to get on Paul's case a little should chill out.

Second, I'm not one of the guys who suggested Paul was posting too many NAU threads. He seems like a passionate fan and I am not sure where else he would post.

appmaj
May 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Time out for a clarification.

First, kudos to you, appmaj, for finding and posting the NAU hottie pic. There is no such thing as a bad time or place for hottie pics. I was trying to suggest that because you had found and posted the NAU hottie pic, the guys who were starting to get on Paul's case a little should chill out.

Second, I'm not one of the guys who suggested Paul was posting too many NAU threads. He seems like a passionate fan and I am not sure where else he would post.

Gotcha

I figured the NAU hottie was the only way I could contribute to ANY discussion about NAU xsmiley_wix

Lumberjacks76
May 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
NAU's QB:

http://nau.newtier.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Players&file=index&tid=18&pid=980

Paul

appmaj
May 7th, 2009, 08:42 PM
NAU's QB:

http://nau.newtier.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Players&file=index&tid=18&pid=980

Paul

NO!!!

More NAU hottie pics

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/campus.cheer.Dena/images/YP_Dena-NAU__BO_7425.jpg

Lumberjacks76
May 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Nice. Where did you find that?

Paul

appmaj
May 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Paul

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.3.html

IaaScribe
May 8th, 2009, 10:28 AM
NAU rarely had anything resembling a cute cheerleader when I covered the team.

appmaj
May 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Well she is cute...and like I said she snowboards xthumbsupx

IaaScribe
May 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I guess I was expressing disappointment more than anything. ;)

Retro
May 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Paul

OK, What's with the NAU/TULSA Score from 20 years ago??

Lumberjacks76
May 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
That's when NAU last defeated an FBS school.

Paul

griz8791
May 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Well she is cute . . .

+1.

Lumberjacks76
May 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
NAU has a beautiful cheerleadering squad. Much better than when I was a student there.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
May 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM

When did you cover the team?

Paul

Lumberjacks76
May 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM

True, but West I-AA teams are improving rapidly. Just look at the strides that Southern Utah is making.

Paul

IaaScribe
May 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
When did you cover the team?

Paul

1997-2004

Lumberjacks76
May 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
2001 and 2003 were good years for NAU. They made the playoffs both seasons and even won a playoff game.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
May 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM
We'll see how NAU does in practice this coming summer. They need to really buckle down for their first opponent, UofA.

Paul

laxVik
May 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Can I follow you on twitter?

Lumberjacks76
May 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I don't subscribe to twitter. I don't understand it.

Paul

laxVik
May 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I was jesting. Your one sentence posts, talking to no one in particular, remind me of twitting blogs.

Lumberjacks76
May 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
NAU has a quality defense this year. They will surprise a lot of people with their grit.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
May 13th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I predict that NAU will win 8 games this year.

Paul

CrazyCat
May 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I predict that NAU will win 8 games this year.

Paul

So your either predicting a 1 loss Big Sky season or your predicting a loss to SUU and going undefeated in the Big Sky? xrotatehx

Lumberjacks76
May 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, 8-3.

Paul

Proud Griz Man
May 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/campus.cheer.Dena/images/YP_Dena-NAU_YPM38053.jpg

Name: Dena Coniglio
Hometown: Denver, Colo.
School: Northern Arizona University
Year: Sophomore
Major: Business

I love my school, but I almost went to: University of Colorado.

My best physical feature is: My smile.

appmaj
May 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/campus.cheer.Dena/images/YP_Dena-NAU_YPM38053.jpg

Name: Dena Coniglio
Hometown: Denver, Colo.
School: Northern Arizona University
Year: Sophomore
Major: Business

I love my school, but I almost went to: University of Colorado.

My best physical feature is: My smile.

Thank god someone is on the same page as me....

Lumberjacks76
May 16th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Wow, she's pretty.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
May 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM
How will NAU perform on the defensive side of the ball this year? Can they put the clamps on defensively, or are there too many holes?

Paul

GOKATS
May 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I honestly don't have a clue and I seriously doubt if anyone else here that isn't in the Flagstaff area has a clue either. How about you telling us..........................xnodx

Lumberjacks76
May 20th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I think their D will be respectful this year. I know they lost a good cornerback to graduation, but they have good athletes that can take over in the secondary and LB positions. They have a nice pass rush and good blockers on offense. Their TE is a stud.

Paul

CrazyCat
May 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I think their D will be respectful this year. I know they lost a good cornerback to graduation, but they have good athletes that can take over in the secondary and LB positions. They have a nice pass rush and good blockers on offense. Their TE is a stud.

Paul

There is nothing better than a "respectful" defense. I'm also glad to hear that the "vaunted" pass rush has been replaced by a "nice" one. Thanks for the update Jack xlolx

Lumberjacks76
May 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
NAU was strong on defense last year and will be again this year. They did give up a lot of points to Montan and Weber State, but those two teams were awesome last year.

Paul

uofmman1122
May 21st, 2009, 01:47 AM
They did give up a lot of points to Montana and Weber State, but those two teams were awesome last year.

PaulNo reason to think they won't be awesome again this year. xwhistlex xlolx

Lumberjacks76
May 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM
They have a vaunted defense this year. They will never give up more than 35 points a game all season long. That includes not giving up 35 points to Arizona or Ole Miss.

Paul

laxVik
May 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
They have a vaunted defense this year. They will never give up more than 35 points a game all season long. That includes not giving up 35 points to Arizona or Ole Miss.

Paulxlolx

In tribute to Baghdad Bob I think we should christen you Flagstaff Bob.

Lumberjacks76
May 22nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Our defense is stacked with talent. It is slightly ahead of the offense in spring practice. We'll see how they perform early on in the season when they open up against Arizona.

Paul

uofmman1122
May 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM

PaulI don't believe that for a second.

NAU might be "sacked on Defense" this year, but they still won't be the #1 defense in the Big Sky, even. Maybe not even #3 or #4. xcoffeex

Native
May 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Our defense is stacked with talent. It is slightly ahead of the offense in spring practice. We'll see how they perform early on in the season when they open up against Arizona.

Paul

Northern Arizona was 6th in scoring defense against Big Sky opponents in 2008,
7th in pass defense, 2nd in rushing defense, 4th in total defense, and DEAD LAST in red zone defense. xsmhx

Lumberjacks76
May 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
#4 in overall defense isn't half bad. It got inflated with two lopsides losses to Weber State and Montana. Otherwise, our defense did well.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
May 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM

True, but they are still well represented.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
May 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I don't believe that for a second.

NAU might be "sacked on Defense" this year, but they still won't be the #1 defense in the Big Sky, even. Maybe not even #3 or #4. xcoffeex

Just depends on how they come out of the gate. They need a good start.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
June 1st, 2009, 03:29 PM
I don't believe that for a second.

I think our defense will be fine this year. We have the mojo.

Paul

laxVik
June 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
xdizzyx

Lumberjacks76
June 2nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
NAU will do well this season. We will win 8 games and make the FCS playoffs.

Paul

uofmman1122
June 3rd, 2009, 02:21 AM
NAU will do well this season. We will win 8 games and make the FCS playoffs.

PaulAre you just posting stuff to get a reaction out of people now?

Please enlighten us...Which teams will NAU beat this year?

Lumberjacks76
June 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
NAU will defeat most opponents, but lose to Arizona, Ole Miss and Montana. The swing game will be Weber State. If we can win that one, we'll be on our way.

Paul

laxVik
June 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Flagstaff Bob gives another press conference....

uofmman1122
June 3rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
NAU will defeat most opponents, but lose to Arizona, Ole Miss and Montana. The swing game will be Weber State. If we can win that one, we'll be on our way.

PaulI don't see NAU beating Weber this year. Hell, I don't see NAU beating Eastern Washington or Montana State this year, either.

ncbears
June 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Again...they'll lose to UNC.

Lumberjacks76
June 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
UNC has made progress. They are no longer a team to roll over. I respect them, and I'm sure that NAU respects them as well. But I still think NAU will win the majority of their games this season. That new QB is special.

Paul

Native
June 3rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
UNC has made progress. They are no longer a team to roll over. I respect them, and I'm sure that NAU respects them as well. But I still think NAU will win the majority of their games this season. That new QB is special.

Paul

Herrick is not a new quarterback. He is a returning backup, having played mostly behind Lance Kriesen in 2008. Herrick has limited mobility and throws a lot of interceptions - twice as many interceptions as touchdowns in 2008.

ncbears
June 3rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
You literally stole last years game at Nottingham.

Lumberjacks76
June 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Yes. But we will win again this year. That is what I believe.

Paul

already123
June 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM
"Limited" mobility is a bit flattering. I believe he had more than twice as many sacks as Kriesen with less than half of the snaps. However, I believe he is more than capable of getting the job done. NAU should have a decent passing game this year.

ncbears
June 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Yes. But we will win again this year. That is what I believe.

Paul

WELL I BELIEVE UNC WILL WIN.

Native
June 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM
"Limited" mobility is a bit flattering. I believe he had more than twice as many sacks as Kriesen with less than half of the snaps. However, I believe he is more than capable of getting the job done. NAU should have a decent passing game this year.

Herrick had better completion percentage numbers than Kriesen in 2008, but a lower QB rating. In the 4 Big Sky conference games he started, Herrick was sacked 8 times, threw 5 interceptions and zero touchdowns. The Lumberjacks lost all four of those games.

Lumberjacks76
June 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Herrick will perform well. I have faith in his abilities.

Paul

IaaScribe
June 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
NAU will finish 6-5. Rinse. Repeat.

Native
June 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM
NAU will finish 6-5. Rinse. Repeat.

Where will the Lumberjacks get their six victories? On the road against Weber, Eastern Washington, Montana State, or Sac State? Kriesen, Dehaze and Deonte Williams gone?

With only 5 home games, incuding Montana and Eastern Washington, I think 4-7 or even 3-8 is more likely for NAU in 2009. No facts or analysis presented on this thread present an alternative scenario.

Loss Sep 12, 2009 at Arizona Tucson, Ariz.
Tossup Sep 19, 2009 Southern Utah Flagstaff, Ariz.
Loss Sep 26, 2009 Montana* Flagstaff, Ariz.
Tossup Oct 03, 2009 Northern Colorado* (Family Weekend) Flagstaff, Ariz.
Loss Oct 10, 2009 at Montana State Bozeman, Mont.
Tossup Oct 17, 2009 at Portland State Portland, Ore.
Win Oct 24, 2009 Idaho State* (Homecoming) Flagstaff, Ariz.
Tossup Oct 31, 2009 at Sacramento State Sacramento
Loss Nov 07, 2009 at Ole Miss Oxford, Miss.
Loss Nov 14, 2009 at Weber State Ogden, Utah
Loss Nov 21, 2009 Eastern Washington* Flagstaff, Ariz.

uofmman1122
June 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM
No facts or analysis presented on this thread present an alternative scenario.But what about the MOJO~? xlolx

Native
June 5th, 2009, 06:47 AM
But what about the MOJO~? xlolx

xoopsx Oh, GEEEZ! I forgot all about THAT! xlolx

IaaScribe
June 5th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Where will the Lumberjacks get their six victories? On the road against Weber, Eastern Washington, Montana State, or Sac State? Kriesen, Dehaze and Deonte Williams gone?

With only 5 home games, incuding Montana and Eastern Washington, I think 4-7 or even 3-8 is more likely for NAU in 2009. No facts or analysis presented on this thread present an alternative scenario.

Loss Sep 12, 2009 at Arizona Tucson, Ariz.
Tossup Sep 19, 2009 Southern Utah Flagstaff, Ariz.
Loss Sep 26, 2009 Montana* Flagstaff, Ariz.
Tossup Oct 03, 2009 Northern Colorado* (Family Weekend) Flagstaff, Ariz.
Loss Oct 10, 2009 at Montana State Bozeman, Mont.
Tossup Oct 17, 2009 at Portland State Portland, Ore.
Win Oct 24, 2009 Idaho State* (Homecoming) Flagstaff, Ariz.
Tossup Oct 31, 2009 at Sacramento State Sacramento
Loss Nov 07, 2009 at Ole Miss Oxford, Miss.
Loss Nov 14, 2009 at Weber State Ogden, Utah
Loss Nov 21, 2009 Eastern Washington* Flagstaff, Ariz.

I'm just going on the theory that Souers' teams nearly always settle right around the mean.

You're right, though. 4-7 is much more likely. Wins over SUU, UNC, ISU and Eastern. Maybe 5-6 if they beat Sac. Not sure where a sixth win would come from.

Lumberjacks76
June 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
NAU will win more than 6 games this year. I have faith in them.

Paul

Native
June 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I'm just going on the theory that Souers' teams nearly always settle right around the mean.

You're right, though. 4-7 is much more likely. Wins over SUU, UNC, ISU and Eastern. Maybe 5-6 if they beat Sac. Not sure where a sixth win would come from.

I've got a lot of respect for Coach Souers and the Northern Arizona program. I just don't think that this will be their year.

Lumberjacks76
June 5th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I say, at worst, they finish with 6 wins. Another "ho-hum" 6-5 season. But they have a real chance to surprise some people this year. They came in 35th place in the preseason poll I believe. Weber is a bit overrated this season. I don't think they will have nearly the same level of success as last season.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
June 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Don't forget about NAU's improve offensive line, stout defense and solid offense. They will surpass all expectation this season, surprising a lot of teams.

Paul

laxVik
June 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
xhomerx

Lumberjacks76
June 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I've been predicting 9 win seasons since 2003, then NAU finished 9-4 and made the second round of the playoffs. They are due for greatness.

Paul

I Bleed Purple
June 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I've been predicting 9 win seasons since 2003, then NAU finished 9-4 and made the second round of the playoffs. They are due for greatness.

Paul

9-4 is greatness?

mvemjsunpx
June 6th, 2009, 11:06 PM
9-4 is greatness?

Well, they did beat #1 McNeese 35-3 that year. However the '09 'Jacks don't even look to be in the '03 team's league (no Moore, no Marshall, no Murrieta). I think NAU even getting back to 6-5 would be a huge overachievement for this year.

Native
June 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Well, they did beat #1 McNeese 35-3 that year. However the '09 'Jacks don't even look to be in the '03 team's league (no Moore, no Marshall, no Murrieta). I think NAU even getting back to 6-5 would be a huge overachievement for this year.

What mv...px said!

Lumberjacks76
June 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I think the Jacks will be productive enough on offense to win more than 6 games. They will also stay in games thanks to their defense.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
June 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM
xhomerx

Homer alert? But I love the Jacks!

Paul

Lumberjacks76
June 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
The Jacks have had an increase in fan interest recently. The upswing of all of this is enhanced revenue and a better product on (and off) the field.

Paul

uofmman1122
June 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Seriously, it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of this stuff, now. xlolx

Lumberjacks76
June 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I had a dream some years before where NAU defeated UofA in football. UofA...University of Arizona of the PAC-10 conference. I don't recall when it took place, but it was very real. The score was 27-24 in favor of NAU.

Paul

IaaScribe
June 10th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Keep dreaming.

Lumberjacks76
June 10th, 2009, 09:12 AM
It's always good to have a dream. Dreaming of success can sometimes foretell success.

Paul

laxVik
June 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM
You are a weird one.

Lumberjacks76
June 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
NAU's vaunted defense will befuddle the opposition and render any offensive effort on the other side of the ball meaningless.

Paul

laxVik
June 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Dude, seriously. Is this your blog or what?

Native
June 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Dude, seriously. Is this your blog or what?

It's the comic relief thread! xlolx

Lumberjacks76
June 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Michael Herrick is the best QB prospect that we've had in some time. Even better than Jeff Lewis and Travis Brown. He'll direct NAU to a playoff berth this season.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
June 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Keep dreaming.

Dreams can come true, you know. It just may be an example of precognition.

Paul

already123
June 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Michael Herrick is the best QB prospect that we've had in some time. Even better than Jeff Lewis and Travis Brown. He'll direct NAU to a playoff berth this season.

Paul

Seriously?

Lumberjacks76
June 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I have complete faith in michael herrick to direct NAU to the playoffs this season. He was a QB at Ole Miss before transfering to NAU.

Paul

ncbears
June 13th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Paul, you need to do this on NAu fans website.

Lumberjacks76
June 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Not enough posters. :(

Paul

Lumberjacks76
June 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
NAU is ranked #35 to begin the season this year. I think they'll finish in the Top-15.

Paul

CatFan22
June 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM
NAU is ranked #35 to begin the season this year. I think they'll finish in the Top-15.

Paul

Based on what?

Native
June 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Based on what?

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Read the whole thread! xrotatehx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

CrazyCat
June 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I think Supertramp can sum up all 24 pages :)

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"
You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do

Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer;
So now you put your head in your hands, oh no!
I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"
You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do.

Well work it out someday

Lumberjacks76
June 14th, 2009, 04:24 PM
The box score for the NAU-UofA game on September 12th shall be:

1Q: Herrick 25-yard pass to Ryan Rauschert, TD. XP good. UofA 0, NAU 7
1Q: Matt Scott, 13-yard pass to William Wright, TD. XP good. UofA 7, NAU 7

2Q: Nathaniel Murray, 38-yard field goal, good. UofA 7, NAU 10
2Q: Matt Scott, sacked in endzone for safety, 2 pts. UofA 7, NAU 12
2Q: Matt Scott, 28-yard pass to Ryan Ellis, TD. XP good. UofA 14, NAU 12

3Q: Herrick, 65 yard touchdown pass to Conrad Meadows, TD. XP good. UofA 14, NAU 19
3Q: Matt Estrada, 40 yard INT return for a touchdown. XP good. UofA 14, NAU 26

4Q: Matt Scott, 50-yard pass to Ryan Ellis, TD. XP good. UofA 21, NAU 26

Final score
----------
NAU 26, UofA 21

Paul

laxVik
June 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Give it a rest....

Lumberjacks76
June 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
NAU will do Flagstaff proud!

Paul

Lumberjacks76
June 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Based on what?

Well, there's this God fellow who, from time to time, talks to me. He tells me things and they often come true. Like last week, I had a dream where God was predicting the NAU-Arizona football game. He said that NAU would win 26-21 in a close contest throughout.

Paul

laxVik
June 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
NAU will do Flagstaff proud!

Paul
Obviously no one cares. Your constant blog posting here is getting quite annoying. Again this is not the NAU forum.

Lumberjacks76
June 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM
It's a post about NAU in a single spot. Not multiple posts in other areas.

Paul

I Bleed Purple
June 14th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Obviously no one cares. Your constant blog posting here is getting quite annoying. Again this is not the NAU forum.

It's more like a twitter thing for him, methinks. I don't think I've seen him exceed 60 characters in a post.

laxVik
June 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM

PaulIt's your daily tidings blog. They're not relevant, pertinent or filled with any info for the greater good other than your rambling non sequiturs.

Lumberjacks76
June 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM
NAU holds a proud tradition spanning decades of Big Sky excitement. They have gone to the playoffs 8 times in their history, winning 2.

Paul

Native
June 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM
It's more like a twitter thing for him, methinks. I don't think I've seen him exceed 60 characters in a post.

I don't think I've seen more than - ZERO - cogent analytical thoughts or relevant facts in any such post. xsmhx

BUT it's our fault for giving in to temptation and responding. xlolxxlolx

grizband
June 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Paul
Honestly, if Paul wants to post musings about NAU, many of which can be deemed nonsensical, I appreciate the concentration to one thread.

Native
June 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM
NAU holds a proud tradition spanning decades of Big Sky excitement. They have gone to the playoffs 8 times in their history, winning 2.

Paul

Well, I stand corrected. There is a set of cogent facts! xthumbsupx