PDA

View Full Version : Furman @ Richmond

matfu
November 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM
furman can certainly beat richmond on a "given day" but i am very impressed with how good the spiders are. i believe we (furman) were the best team last year, picked to win it all etc. but the best team does not always win. james madison put 4 good games together. richmond scares me and i believe we will have to play our best game of the year to win.

yosefcity
November 27th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I think alot of App fans will pick Richmond just because we like to see FU lose.

However I think it has been destiny all season for ASU and Furman to meet again in Boone. So I going to pick Furman. Hope your ready for the ROCK one more time. (Assuming we get past SIU which won't be anything easy)

nlwwln
November 27th, 2005, 07:50 PM
i certainly think that richmond is capable of giving any team a run for there money. They are strong on all aspects of their game and could end up taking it in chatt. head coach dave clawson was a godsend and has a very good staff. This team is for real.

DTSpider
November 27th, 2005, 07:53 PM
It's amazing the love that the Spiders are getting. It wasn't long ago this year when it was considered an upset every time Richmond won. We're on a hot streak, but I think that we'll have to play a near perfect game to beat Furman. I'm worried about Martin's ability to pass and whether Richmond can score enough on offense to win.

89Hen
November 27th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Spiders are on a roll! :D

Umass74
November 27th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I have a question for Richmond fans. I watched the game and it looked to me that Tutt was not having one of his better games.

Only that sequence in the second half where he ran three or four times in a row looked like the Stacey Tutt we know and love in the A10. Other than that, he looked like he was off a little. What do Spider fans think?

nick9c
November 27th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I'll admit I haven't seen much of Richmond this year, but they are a team on a roll. But as good as some might think they are, I think their season ends on Saturday. Furman's D played a great game against Nicholls St. and I think if we get that type of effort again, Richmond is in trouble. If Furman refrains from turning the ball over, we win this one by 2 TD's. We had 3 turnovers against Nicholls and still managed to win that one...2 turnovers against Richmond will lose it for us.

Wellington
November 27th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Richmond will give Furman a :asswhip:

CollegeObserver
November 27th, 2005, 08:51 PM
The Spiders have been "misunderstimated" all year. I don't expect that to change now, and that's just fine.

spdram
November 27th, 2005, 08:57 PM
It's just fine with me if nobody outside of the Spiders (and some of our fellow A-10 members) think we are for real.

nick9c
November 27th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Richmond will given Furman a :asswhip:

I don't think Griz fans have much to talk about, especially after they got spanked by 2 TD's...now go back into hibernation.

Purple Knight
November 27th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I'll admit I haven't seen much of Richmond this year, but they are a team on a roll. But as good as some might think they are, I think their season ends on Saturday. Furman's D played a great game against Nicholls St. and I think if we get that type of effort again, Richmond is in trouble. If Furman refrains from turning the ball over, we win this one by 2 TD's. We had 3 turnovers against Nicholls and still managed to win that one...2 turnovers against Richmond will lose it for us.

Modesty with class.

matfu
November 27th, 2005, 10:15 PM
last year, i was very confident furman would beat james madison in the quarters...WRONG!. i remember umass beating us by 7 in 99 and hofstra beating us by 7 in 2000, both in the first round of the playoffs, and villanova by 7 in 2002.

so i have respect for any team from the atlantic 10. i hope we can whip the spiders but to beat them i still say we will have to play our best game of the year (come together the way james madison did last year in the playoffs).

thirdgendin
November 27th, 2005, 11:31 PM
It's just fine with me if nobody outside of the Spiders (and some of our fellow A-10 members) think we are for real.

It seems that about 70% of posters here are picking you to beat Furman. If the chip-on-the-shoulder works for you, use it, but it appears that you are the favorite on Saturday.

Menudo
November 28th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Well I think Furhman will be practicing defending the pooch kick this week.

OL FU
November 28th, 2005, 07:27 AM
The good news is, The DEFENSE WON THE GAME :) . Have been waiting all year to say that. They played well and it made the difference. They have actually played very well since the GSU game. If the defense plays well we can play against anyone. Bad news is I don't see any one-dimensional offenses on the horizon.

Also, it is rare (I can't think of an example this year) for our offense to play poorly twice in a row. Nichols defense helped that but an offense that scores 38 per game was not exactly on target.

OL FU
November 28th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I would feel much better if the game was in Greenville

Spider
November 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM
SPIDAHS over FU! We are playing good on both sides of the ball and on special teams but will take a good effort on Sat. I think we are up to that challenge...

OL FU
November 28th, 2005, 08:50 AM
SPIDAHS over FU! We are playing good on both sides of the ball and on special teams but will take a good effort on Sat. I think we are up to that challenge...

I would not expect you to feel otherwise. :)
My guess is it will be a good one.

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Richmond solved a good Hampton defense that featured a strong, and fast, crew of LBs. Hampton also had a very good secondary. My guess is that the Spiders will have more success throwing the ball this week.

Richmond's D has been strong all year. I think Furman needs to run the ball right at them to be successful. Golobodski and the rest fly to the ball and make outside runs and screens tough. Furman's lack of real speed at WR will be a problem against the Spiders secondary.

Tutt has become very difficult to defend. The emergence of UR's running backs has made the task even harder. When Hightower came on the scene at mid-season, Spider's ground game really picked up. With Freeman healthy again, there's alot more to worry about than just Tutt.

I think this one is decided in the trenches. If Furman's defensive front has really gotten better, they have a good shot. If not, I like Richmond.

DTSpider
November 28th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I have a question for Richmond fans. I watched the game and it looked to me that Tutt was not having one of his better games.

Only that sequence in the second half where he ran three or four times in a row looked like the Stacey Tutt we know and love in the A10. Other than that, he looked like he was off a little. What do Spider fans think?

I agree. Tutt didn't have any touch on his passes. The game was decided when our O-line turned it up. The Hampton defense was the fastest I've seen all year (yes even faster than JMU & UMass). Those kids could fly and were pretty strong. Richmond made a halftime adjustment and it worked. I wouldn't count on Tutt having two poor games in a row. It'll be a dog fight with Furman and I think that the homefield may be good for a 2-3 point swing which is the difference. I'm thinking a 34-31 game.

fuEMO
November 28th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Richmond solved a good Hampton defense that featured a strong, and fast, crew of LBs. Hampton also had a very good secondary. My guess is that the Spiders will have more success throwing the ball this week.

Richmond's D has been strong all year. I think Furman needs to run the ball right at them to be successful. Golobodski and the rest fly to the ball and make outside runs and screens tough. Furman's lack of real speed at WR will be a problem against the Spiders secondary.

Tutt has become very difficult to defend. The emergence of UR's running backs has made the task even harder. When Hightower came on the scene at mid-season, Spider's ground game really picked up. With Freeman healthy again, there's alot more to worry about than just Tutt.

I think this one is decided in the trenches. If Furman's defensive front has really gotten better, they have a good shot. If not, I like Richmond.

Tribe I don't know how much you know about this years Furman team but the lack of real speed at WR is not an accurate comment. Brigham, Sprague, McKie can fly, Brigham runs a faster 40 than West and Bratton. But the real issue is that's not what makes these receivers special. Stepp, Sprague, Brigham, McKie and the forgotten one Stone, run very crisp routes and are not afraid to take a hit over the middle. Richmond will be tuff, but I've got a feeling Furman will present many tuff issues for the Spiders to worry about.

NSU thought they could come out play physical and wear Furman out. The opposite happened. If the kink in the Richmond D is running up their gut, you can bet they will get a healthy dose of Felton.

About the Hampton D, Durant is a great linebacker, but the trio of Freeman, Jones, Nelson is becoming something special. I think its going to be a great game.

DTSpider
November 28th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I agree. This game is whether the Furman oline can win the battle with the Richmond front 7. If Furman can run the ball than they probably will win. Richmond has been strong against the run but will have a real fight this week. I expect Furman to have success early. Richmond is a second half team. Hopefully we can keep it close in the first half and make the necessary adjustments.

fuEMO
November 28th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I agree. This game is whether the Furman oline can win the battle with the Richmond front 7. If Furman can run the ball than they probably will win. Richmond has been strong against the run but will have a real fight this week. I expect Furman to have success early. Richmond is a second half team. Hopefully we can keep it close in the first half and make the necessary adjustments.

Good points DT. I think this will be an interesting game between 2 solid teams. On paper you could give Furman the edge. On emotion and just being on a roll, you have to give it to the Spiders.

Furman except the UTC game is a second half team. Furman hired a new conditioning coach right before pre-season practices. Rumour is over 60% of the team failed his conditioning test. What we have seen developing this season is a better conditioned team, that plays very physical in the second half. Look at the APP and NSU game. I love these games. The Furman D seems to play better when its physical. And it sounds like the Spiders play the same way.

Mr. C
November 28th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Tribe I don't know how much you know about this years Furman team but the lack of real speed at WR is not an accurate comment. Brigham, Sprague, McKie can fly, Brigham runs a faster 40 than West and Bratton. But the real issue is that's not what makes these receivers special. Stepp, Sprague, Brigham, McKie and the forgotten one Stone, run very crisp routes and are not afraid to take a hit over the middle. Richmond will be tuff, but I've got a feeling Furman will present many tuff issues for the Spiders to worry about.

Having seen Furman twice in person and several other times on TV, I haven't seen the Paladins show the ability to stretch the field the way they did with West and Bratton. I know that defensive coordinators do not fear Furman going deep the way they did in the past. I have my doubts about whether Stepp is faster than West and particularly Bratton. If he is, why doesn't he run more deep routes? The best deep threat I've seen out of the Paladins this season is Daric Carter out of the backfield on the wheel route. I personally think Furman might be better with Carter playing the slot receiver, with Mays and Gipson splitting time (even though I think Carter is the best of the three tailbacks). It just utilies the available talent better. While Stepp is a good receiver and an excellent returnman, and the others such as Stone, Sprague etc. run good routes, none of them is as good as West, or Bratton. Tight end John Rust, when he is healthy, has been Furman's best receiver this year in the games I've seen. But that being said, this is a game that will probably be won in the trenches. Richmond's O line probably has an advantage over Furman's D line with its size. Furman needs to keep the ball away from Stacy Tutt by establishing its running game. If Felton and the tailbacks have good games, then it will open up the pass for Ingle Martin. Furman just needs to keep its defense off the field as much as possible, so it doesn't get worn down.

thirdgendin
November 28th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Having seen Furman twice in person and several other times on TV, I haven't seen the Paladins show the ability to stretch the field the way they did with West and Bratton. I know that defensive coordinators do not fear Furman going deep the way they did in the past. I have my doubts about whether Stepp is faster than West and particularly Bratton. If he is, why doesn't he run more deep routes? The best deep threat I've seen out of the Paladins this season is Daric Carter out of the backfield on the wheel route. I personally think Furman might be better with Carter playing the slot receiver, with Mays and Gipson splitting time (even though I think Carter is the best of the three tailbacks). It just utilies the available talent better. While Stepp is a good receiver and an excellent returnman, and the others such as Stone, Sprague etc. run good routes, none of them is as good as West, or Bratton. Tight end John Rust, when he is healthy, has been Furman's best receiver this year in the games I've seen. But that being said, this is a game that will probably be won in the trenches. Richmond's O line probably has an advantage over Furman's D line with its size. Furman needs to keep the ball away from Stacy Tutt by establishing its running game. If Felton and the tailbacks have good games, then it will open up the pass for Ingle Martin. Furman just needs to keep its defense off the field as much as possible, so it doesn't get worn down.

I agree with Mr. C here. Only Brigham is faster than Bratton or West, but he isn't nearly the receiver they were. Stepp, Sprague, etc. are good possession receivers but don't have the breakaway speed we had the past four seasons. Stepp is made out of the mold of Bear Rhinehart.

fuEMO
November 28th, 2005, 10:47 PM

Good points DT. I think this will be an interesting game between 2 solid teams. On paper you could give Furman the edge. On emotion and just being on a roll, you have to give it to the Spiders.

Furman except the UTC game is a second half team. Furman hired a new conditioning coach right before pre-season practices. Rumour is over 60% of the team failed his conditioning test. What we have seen developing this season is a better conditioned team, that plays very physical in the second half. Look at the APP and NSU game. I love these games. The Furman D seems to play better when its physical. And it sounds like the Spiders play the same way.

fuEMO
November 28th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I agree with Mr. C here. Only Brigham is faster than Bratton or West, but he isn't nearly the receiver they were. Stepp, Sprague, etc. are good possession receivers but don't have the breakaway speed we had the past four seasons. Stepp is made out of the mold of Bear Rhinehart.

Dave, Furman has stretched the field alot more since the APP game. And I agree Carter is a dangerous player when he goes out in the slot, not to many dbs that can cover him as APP found out. But imo Gipson is the playmaker at tailback, I would love to see him get more touches, He torn up UTC and NSU had a mean D but little Bus had some amazing runs.

About the Furman D line it has greatly improved since the APP game. Artis is starting to play up to his 6-4, 260 pound frame at end. Ravenell seems to be getting his speed back. But the key here is true freshmen Gaines Burnett, now playing defensive tackle. NSUs back offensive line had alot of problems with his speed and strength. And next year get ready for some field burners at Furman again. 6-3 Webb and 6-2 Williams will be a great receiving duo for many years at Furman.

Kalesi
November 28th, 2005, 11:17 PM
In this game, Richmond should expect to play a much better opponent than Hampton was. We watched the UR/Hampton game and while impressed with Richmond, Hampton hardly looked anything like a #3 seed.

I believe this game will be decided up front. Furman has what many consider one of the best offensive lines in the country. Richmond has a very active and fast defensive line. If Richmond can control the line of scrimmage and limit Furman's running game, they will give themselves a pretty good shot at winning the ball game.

If Furman establishes their running game and Felton is getting 6 yards a pop, then it might be a long night for the Spiders. If Stacy Tutt has success running around in the backfield, the Paladins are in trouble.

In the end, however, I think the Paladins will have more answers for Tutt with their very good linebacker speed than UR will have for Furman's power running attack.

Furman by 10.

Mr. C
November 29th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Dave, Furman has stretched the field alot more since the APP game. And I agree Carter is a dangerous player when he goes out in the slot, not to many dbs that can cover him as APP found out. But imo Gipson is the playmaker at tailback, I would love to see him get more touches, He torn up UTC and NSU had a mean D but little Bus had some amazing runs.

About the Furman D line it has greatly improved since the APP game. Artis is starting to play up to his 6-4, 260 pound frame at end. Ravenell seems to be getting his speed back. But the key here is true freshmen Gaines Burnett, now playing defensive tackle. NSUs back offensive line had alot of problems with his speed and strength. And next year get ready for some field burners at Furman again. 6-3 Webb and 6-2 Williams will be a great receiving duo for many years at Furman.
I still don't think Furman's vertical game is all that dangerous and it's too bad, because Martin can throw such a nice long ball. I saw the Georgia Southern and Citadel games on television and still didn't see Furman going deep often enough. I know Bobby Lamb is conservative, but sometimes, you have to open things up. As far as the defensive line is concerned, I will be interested to see how it holds up against a big, physical Richmond OL. That may be the key to the game right there. It is also an absolute must for the Paladins to tackle well (something they didn't do in games against teams like Western Carolina and Georgia Southern) if they are to have a chance to win.

thirdgendin
November 29th, 2005, 04:34 AM
I know Bobby Lamb is conservative, but sometimes, you have to open things up.

The funny thing about that is that many Furman fans complain about Bobby being too much of a gambler at times. If Felton up the middle has worked all game, fans on the UFFP berate him for running option on a crucial down.

One thing we can all agree on is that Lamb is a riverboat gambler compared to Bobby Johnson! :nod:

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 08:05 AM

I thoguht the DL did well with a physical NSU running game. Their two FBs were both huge runners and their OL was decent size.

Spider
November 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Furman by 10.
Richmond by 6......

fuEMO
November 29th, 2005, 07:07 PM
I thoguht the DL did well with a physical NSU running game. Their two FBs were both huge runners and their OL was decent size.

If Richmond is more physical than the NSU OL I will have to see it to believe it. I believe it also helps that Furman's DL has to practice against a very physical OL every day.

Its obvious that not many respect the Furman linebackers but now that Jones has settled into playing the physical Mike position, Willie can roam and cause havoc and teams can no longer just run away from him.

I see the Furman linebackers as the key in this game. And Ravenell and Artis will put plenty of heat on Tutt.

CollegeObserver
November 29th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Furman has allowed a lot of points this year, any explanation?
UR's defense has gotten better and better. Defense usually wins these things. We'll all see, I guess.
Should be a good game, if both teams having go 2 OT's to take out Hofstra is any indication! May the better team win, as long as it is UR! Enjoy, wish I could be there.

youwouldno
November 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Mr.C is right about the offensive playcalling: first that Lamb is conservative, second that he doesn't stretch the field well enough. Martin takes some deep shots, but Lamb doesn't stay committed to the passing game. Sometimes, there are good reasons to stick to the ground (i.e. clock).

It's OK that Lamb is conservative, but the problem is that in a key playoff game, too much caution is a real possibility. He sometimes gets too cute in key down situations.

It's easy to see why a coach might be disinclined from passing on early downs when the run is so effective. The problem against Richmond is that their LBs are better against the run than they are the pass. TE Rust poses a major matchup problem for them as does HB Carter out to intermediate range.

Furman wants to run a physical offense Saturday. Felton is going to get carries. However, until proven otherwise Richmond looks vulnerable through the air. I'd mix in shotgun sets (2-back or another slot) with the standard I forms. Martin's scrambling ability is underutilized; his ability to buy time and make plays can really be decisive. Furman also will run east to west, sometimes via toss sweep, sometimes with the option. The theory would be that Richmond's LBs would be blocked by Furman's O-line, which is very athletic and routinely blocks to the second level. Running to the outside is further facilitated by an effective passing game, because the DBs can't cheat against the run.

Some concepts are very simple. In short-yardage situations, run Felton. It's almost too obvious, so sometimes Lamb worries that Felton won't make it. But no WR reverses should be called this game (reference to the game against Nicholls). Richmond's D-line is fairly small on the inside, which is ideal for Furman's inside line trio of Laggis/Stewart/Covington. Furman has 3 skilled, athletic, smart players at HB. However, Carter should get as many downs as possible, because he is so good both as a runner and receiver. The Paladins, if they execute, will score pretty effectively. The defense is something of a mystery, and I will only say that I think Tutt will be contained by Furman's LB corps. So it's tough to really predict how the game will unfold.

Spider1976
November 30th, 2005, 03:32 PM
It's a harmonic convergence for the Spiders.

1. The alumni pulled together last winter and stopped what would have been a very unpopular move to the Patriot League.

2. A previously somewhat undedicated quarterback dedicated himself completely and made an amazing transformation.

3. A team predicted to finish last won the conference and re-ingited interest in football at the school.

4. Plans were finally unveiled for a much-needed on-campus stadium.

5. A much-despised, anti-athletics university president stuck his foot in his mouth and appears to be on the verge of being fired or resigning.

Spiders will win. It's our once-in-a-100-year destiny.

Kalesi
December 2nd, 2005, 08:09 AM
UR's defense has gotten better and better. Defense usually wins these things. We'll all see, I guess.
Should be a good game, if both teams having go 2 OT's to take out Hofstra is any indication! May the better team win, as long as it is UR! Enjoy, wish I could be there.

strangely enough, Furman hasn't allowed an inordinate amount of yards, but has allowed a lot of points. Part of this is because when the FU offense does turn the ball over it usually puts our D in bad situations.

Case in point, at Jacksonville State Furman outgained the Gamecocks by 200 yrds but still had to win the game on a last second toss. At the Citadel, Furman surrendered only 270 yrds of offense, but the final score for the Bulldogs was over 30.

Furman has consistently had one of the top 5 defenses in the nation year in and year out. They have been down this year, but show flashes of great potential.

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2005, 08:19 AM
Richmond has a very good run defense... only two teams... Vanderbilt and JMU were able to rush for more than 150 yrds on the Spiders and Richmond held a pretty good UD running game to their season low... 108 yrds. I seriously doubt that Furman will be able to win this game with their running game. Martin is a very cable QB and he will likely need to have a big game throwing the ball if FU is going to come out of Richmond with a win.

blukeys
December 2nd, 2005, 08:35 AM
I see this as the best game of the weekend. These 2 teams are very similar with strong run games and big play mobile QB's. Both defenses are solid. I don't think either team will dominate. The old cliches that turnovers and big plays will determine the winner apply to this game.

DinoDex200
December 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
The funny thing about that is that many Furman fans complain about Bobby being too much of a gambler at times. If Felton up the middle has worked all game, fans on the UFFP berate him for running option on a crucial down.

One thing we can all agree on is that Lamb is a riverboat gambler compared to Bobby Johnson! :nod:

Interesting that you say that. When you think about it, the defining moment of Bobby J.'s 2005 season was the gamble he wasn't allowed to take against Florida. He was going to honor his Furman heritage by "Goin' For 2" until one of the most idiotic excessive celebration calls I've ever seen a ref make. :doh: :bang: :mad: :doh: :bang: :mad:

FU97
December 2nd, 2005, 11:44 AM

Turnovers. Special team mistakes. Take JSU for example. In the JSU game they had TD drives of 30 (fumble), 30 (fumble), 50 (punt from deep in our territory), and 0 (KO return). When we turn the ball over, we seem to do it in the worst possible spots, our territory. I think we have given up 2 defensive TDs (on INTs) and 2 ST TD this year (KO return/blocked punt). We have struggled at times on kickoff coverage, which could be an issue as Richmond has a good returner (coverage has ben spotty).

When we lose games, we generally have lost the turnover battle. We struggle with that aspect of the game. It cost us the JMU game last year. It cost us the WCU game this year (5 INTs, muffed KO), and we were -3 vs Nichols State.

CollegeObserver
December 2nd, 2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the explanations of FU's ppg allowance. The turnovers will definitely be something that they need to control, in order to take home a win.
I'm not so sure that this "harmonic convergence" may not be their biggest obstacle. There really is a feeling that the heavenly bodies are properly aligned for UR to go at least one week further.

(I suspect that someone here will have a great photo of a heavenly body that he can share with us!)

FU97
December 2nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the explanations of FU's ppg allowance. The turnovers will definitely be something that they need to control, in order to take home a win.
I'm not so sure that this "harmonic convergence" may not be their biggest obstacle. There really is a feeling that the heavenly bodies are properly aligned for UR to go at least one week further.

(I suspect that someone here will have a great photo of a heavenly body that he can share with us!)

There are plenty of heavenly angels at Furman. A most excellent school for "scenery".

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 2nd, 2005, 03:06 PM
Along those lines, we (JMU) definitely gave up the ball several times to UR when they beat us on Homecoming (of all games! ARGH!) and it was very close 18-15. We were driving into their territory when the clock ran out on us at the end - poor coaching helped UR as well, 3 Timeouts were used by the end of the third quarter... xidiotx

The team that plays solid mistake free ball should win this game. I'll be there tomorrow and I am looking forward to see the matchup. :beerchug:

MarkCCU
December 2nd, 2005, 06:58 PM
Lamb has put a good team out on the field this year, IMO. They have made mistakes like last years 2 turnovers and a missed kick, but they've improved and grown stronger, IMO the Spiders are gonna get squished.