PDA

View Full Version : Richmond to Revamp Stadium Plan

bostonspider
April 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
In a complete rethinking of the future of University of Richmond Football, it was leaked by University sources today that construction will be stopped on First Market Stadium. The University had no official comment, but sources say UR has instead made the surprising purchase of 95 acres of riverfront property on the James, just a mile west of the school's Westhampton Campus. This property will be developed to include a new 30,000 seat stadium as well as commercial and residential space. It is not known at this time if the University plans on moving academic or administrative programs to this new space or will rent it out similar to the former Reynolds Metals Building on Broad Street, now the headquarters of Phillip Morris. When asked whether this new 30,000 seat stadium, which will replace the 80 year old UR stadium (former City Stadium), means that Richmond will be moving their football team up to the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), looking for a new conference, the source had no concrete information. Currently the Spiders play in the Richmond based CAA Footbowl Conference, and are the reigning Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Champions. Also leaked was this preliminary image showing the new Stadium, adjacent to the James River.

http://www.kickstartchester.com/images/stadium_large.jpg

danefan
April 1st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Sweet......looks just like the proposed MLS stadium in Philly....xrolleyesxxlolxxcoolx

DFW HOYA
April 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Wait! You've stolen the design for Multi-Sport Field! xlolx

R3TRO
April 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
the signature on that pic says 2007???

asu3peat
April 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
april fools!?!

aust42
April 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM
Sweet. Floating tailgate parties on the James River! I wonder if there will be a pier for boats to dock up to? U of TN is right on the Tennessee River and they have huge boating tailgates down there. My buddy went there and said boats start arriving Thurs to party. Not that Richmond could match TN's floating tailgate tradition but it would be nice for boats to dock up and go into the game.

aust42
April 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
april fools!?!

Was I completely duped on April Fools day?

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 1st, 2009, 06:10 PM
april fools!?!

Yes, April fools....

The river is actually the Oyster River and the Stadium pictured is in Durham, NH.
UNH will have it ready for the 2011 season!!!

All of you who thought Richmond was building a new stadium fell for the joke!!!!

93henfan
April 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Sweet......looks just like the proposed MLS stadium in Philly....xrolleyesxxlolxxcoolx

That's exactly what it is. That's Chester PA, the Delaware River, and the Commodore Barry Bridge, and that's the stadium design proposed for the Philadelphia MLS soccer franchise. Nice work Danefan. That was posted on Philly.com a long time ago. I thought the pic looked familiar.

Oh, and I like how they were able to turn the Delaware River from brown to blue and make the ghetto disappear. Neat trick.

bostonspider
April 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM
Though I think this is the actual design of the new Chester Stadium from the 12/01/08 groundbreaking...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/3086458824_1243080b9f.jpg

89Hen
April 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Stadium in Chester. Still cracks me up. THAT seemed like the AF joke. xoopsx

jmufan999
April 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
wow, there's some definite gullibility going on.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Yes, April fools....

The river is actually the Oyster River and the Stadium pictured is in Durham, NH.

All of you who thought Richmond was building a new stadium fell for the joke!!!!

You beat me to the punch!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

xoutofrepx

Actually, I was thinking about the body of water being either Great Bay or Little Bay. Take your pick, out near the Jackson Lab at Adams Point or on a parcel of land from the Pease Tradeport in Newington. :p :p :p

furman94
April 2nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Gosh I was about to say!

MaroonDoom
April 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
The champs deserve better. The current stadium is quite sketchy.

bostonspider
April 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Well we are building a new one, just unfortunately no where near the size of the one I supposed on the previous page. Here is the actual new stadium to be finished by the begining of the 2010 season, buing built at the location of the current track / field / soccer stadium right on campus, next to the basketball arena. The new stadium will now play host to all of these teams plus football.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/aerialwithendzonestands-500.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/overall_FINALreduced-500.jpg

Redwyn
April 3rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
The stadium looks a good deal like Lavalle at SBU in layout, esp with how its adjoined to indoor arena. It'll be a great home for Richmond football

mcveyrl
April 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Well we are building a new one, just unfortunately no where near the size of the one I supposed on the previous page. Here is the actual new stadium to be finished by the begining of the 2010 season, buing built at the location of the current track / field / soccer stadium right on campus, next to the basketball arena. The new stadium will now play host to all of these teams plus football.
]

I'm sure this has been discussed, but will the locker room facilities be in the Robbins Center or is something being built elsewhere?

SideLine Shooter
April 3rd, 2009, 03:48 PM

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/aerialwithendzonestands-500.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/overall_FINALreduced-500.jpg

That is smart.

SideLine Shooter
April 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Yes, April fools....

Actually, I thought they were building a new river to go with the old stadium.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed, but will the locker room facilities be in the Robbins Center or is something being built elsewhere?

I am pretty sure the locker rooms are going to be in the RC.