PDA

View Full Version : Why/Why won't your team win a national title in 2009?

achrist70
April 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM
I was board so I started this thread, what is the biggest reason why your team might win a national title and the biggest reason they might not.

I think for UNI the biggest reason why would have to be our offensive line and the reason why not would be our secondary.

MplsBison
April 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
QB, for both.

Mertens will either lead us to the playoffs or he will cause us to depend on the running game and teams will play the typical 4-5-2 defense against us.

We have no other QBs on the roster that will be ready for this season.

OSBF
April 1st, 2009, 03:18 PM
Won't

because the defense stinks

because the offense stinks

because the special teams stink

because the coaching staff is an unknown quantity

BEAR
April 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
The biggest reason UCA won't win THE National Title in 2009? .....

we're not eligible until 2010.xrulesxxlolx

OL FU
April 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Because some other team willxsmiley_wix

jaxstatealum
April 1st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Because some other team willxsmiley_wix

Same here. We just don't have the weapons...

Hoseinexile07
April 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
Because of transition restrictions.

We're also not that great...

DLS
April 1st, 2009, 03:31 PM
appstate wins the NC as long as the o-line doesnt suffer any damages. we got no depth going on there.

we're loaded everywhere else.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 1st, 2009, 03:33 PM
We won't repeat because we lost 2 really good defensive ends, 2 excellent tight ends ... and a powerful running back ... also because everyone will be gunning for us now!

We will repeat because everyone else is back!

HoyaMetanoia
April 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Because there might be a nuclear holocaust and there are some good fall out shelters in DC.

Everything else.

Ivytalk
April 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Because we're in the Ivy League!xbawlingx

That, and I have a feeling we're in for a rebuilding year.:o

89Hen
April 1st, 2009, 04:23 PM
Why - IF Delaware makes it out of the CAA alive to make the playoffs there's always a good chance to go all the way.

Why not - Richmond, Villanova, JMU..... xoopsx

mcveyrl
April 1st, 2009, 04:29 PM
Why - IF Delaware makes it out of the CAA alive to make the playoffs there's always a good chance to go all the way.

Why not - Richmond, Villanova, JMU..... xoopsx

This, but switch JMU and Delaware.

We obviously have questions at QB, but I think we'll be okay there. JMU's conference and NC hopes, IMO, rest on the defense and specifically, the LBs. Everybody knows the trouble we had after Brandon went out. Those got better as the year went on. We just can't afford to start out the year poor and hope that getting better will get us through the CAA. Also on defense, we've had an AA safety back there for a while now (either Lezotte or Haywood), so we'll have to see how that pans out, too.

slycat
April 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM
I was board so I started this thread, what is the biggest reason why your team might win a national title and the biggest reason they might not.

I think for UNI the biggest reason why would have to be our offensive line and the reason why not would be our secondary.

Same reasons for Texas State. They will have a top 5 offense in the country this year and a bottom 5 defense.

BearsCountry
April 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Why we have an explosive offense lead by our QB, why not - well Missouri State doesnt get that lucky.

WrenFGun
April 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM
Why UNH will win? R.J. Toman is one of the best returning QB's and only a JR., most of the defense returns, Scott Sicko is the best TE in FCS.

Why UNH won't win? The quarterfinals Jinx. Not getting a home game in the playoffs. Lacking a #1 WR. What defense will we get this year, and how will we replace Matt Parent and John Clements?

Thundar
April 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Why will we win?? every other team forfeits

Why won't we?? they don't

:D:D:D:D:D

Cobblestone
April 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
We simply don't have winning in our blood. We have not had a winning season since 2001 and have not made it to the playoffs since 1985. Combine that with the fact that we have a new head coach who is taking over for a guy who left after just one season and.... let's just say we have a long way to go.

EWashEagle
April 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Eastern Wash has a B.S. playoff ban or I think we would have a shot at the championship with a senior heavy team. The ban has been appealed and the decision should be out around August/Sept

Gil Dobie
April 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM
Because Montana will win xrulesx
Because App St will win. xrulesx

Also, as of today, no home game until October.

Big Dawg
April 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Why FAMU could win the national title:

FAMU is returning one of the most talented teams in recent memory. We are stacked at every position and only lost 4 seniors, 2 of which were starters. We also have an All American Caliber QB in Curtis Pulley. In split action last season, he threw for almost 2,000 yards and rushed for almost 1,000 yards. We're still deep in the backfield with Philip "Sly" Sylvester, Dominic Henry, and Levonte Page all splitting time at RB. This is also one of the most solid receiving corps we've had in a long time.

Defense is also looking to be much improved. We saw a huge improvement last season as our run defense was actually existent. There's also ALOT of speed on both sides of the ball, including All American Leroy Vann.

Why FAMU probably won't win the national title:

We play in the MEAC. It seems that whenver a team from the MEAC makes it to the playoffs, we just can't get a victory. Playing in the MEAC may not prepare us for games against the top FCS conferences

SCSU is one team that FAMU just hasn't been able to beat and they look like they're ready to defend their MEAC title. I'm hoping the MEAC can be a 2 bid conference, but I don't know...we also play SCSU the week after we play Miami.

Injuries. It's college football and it happens. I just that we don't have any serious injuries and that they don't affect any of our key players.

ngineer
April 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
We win only if lightning strikes and is captured in a bottle. Too many things would have to fall in to place, and too many kids need to mature quickly. Absent major injuries, this team could be building for a real strong team in 2010. I see us very competitive in the PL this year, but even if we win the conference, I would find it very hard to win more than one game in the playoffs.

LBPop
April 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

bincitysioux
April 1st, 2009, 09:33 PM
Because the NCAA won't let us.

uofmman1122
April 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Chase Reynolds. xnodx

GATA
April 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
Georgia Southern has ZERO chance of winning the title in 2009 because our program is a hollow shell of what it used to be. We run a generic spread offense and we have a mediocre collection of talent at best. On top of that we are shorthanded on scholarships due to APR issues and our defense is the worst I've seen in years...we'll be lucky to win 6 games again.

McNeese75
April 1st, 2009, 09:55 PM
xeyebrowx Too many unknowns at this time. Maybe I will be more optomistic in August.

coover
April 2nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
We won't win because we lost some of our top athletes and have a new coach replacing Rich Ellerson.

We will win because we have some outstanding athletes to replace those who have graduated (yes, Cal Poly actually recruits student athletes) and have a new coach, who may be the 2nd coming of Rich Ellerson. In addition, while we have two FBS games, neither one is at the end of the season just prior to the playoffs and neither is against a team resembling Wisconsin.

Grizaholic17
April 2nd, 2009, 02:13 AM
appstate wins the NC as long as the o-line doesnt suffer any damages. we got no depth going on there.

we're loaded everywhere else.

haven't heard that one before. xcoffeexxcoffeex

Grizaholic17
April 2nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
Chase Reynolds. xnodx

and the little one that goes by the same last name.

Grizaholic17
April 2nd, 2009, 02:16 AM
Because Montana will win xrulesx
Because App St will win. xrulesx

Also, as of today, no home game until October.

NO HOME GAME UNTIL OCTOBER????????? BOGUS

note** i am a montana fan, we are spoiled with home games. :)

Tribe4SF
April 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Why?

Because RJ Archer proves to be the QB many believe he will be, and his o-line becomes an improvement from last year.

Why not?

Because the above don't come to pass, and because the CAA South meatgrinder makes it so tough just to get in the tournament.

W&M has the talent, and depth to be a contender. If the team overcomes the chronic first-half flatness that plagued them last year, it could be a fun season.

skinny_uncle
April 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
SIU

Why we might:
Most of our starters are back. We return 10 starters on D, 7 on the offense and both kickers.

Why we won't:
Our biggest breakaway threat (Larry Warner) graduated. I'm not sure we have anyone to step into that role.

DLS
April 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Georgia Southern has ZERO chance of winning the title in 2009 because our program is a hollow shell of what it used to be. We run a generic spread offense and we have a mediocre collection of talent at best. On top of that we are shorthanded on scholarships due to APR issues and our defense is the worst I've seen in years...we'll be lucky to win 6 games again.

hopefully this is a sandbagging statement otherwise its a bad time to be a gsu fan.

89Hen
April 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
xeyebrowx Too many unknowns at this time. Maybe I will be more optomistic in August.
The McNeese sandbagging tradition continues. xsmiley_wix :p

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 2nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
We most likely won't win the national championship because we most likely won't win all of our playoff games. xnodx

We run a generic spread offense and we have a mediocre collection of talent at best.

You realize that Hatcher's offense is modeled after Mike Leach's, and he is considered the most innovative offensive coach in many decades, right?

On top of that we are shorthanded on scholarships due to APR issues and our defense is the worst I've seen in years...we'll be lucky to win 6 games again.

The defense is not bad - that's just your perception. Pretty much every team in the conference is giving up more ppg than they have been because the conference is getting better.

GannonFan
April 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
We won't win because our stud QB will be a bust.

We will win because our defense is incredible and our stud QB will live up to the hype.

TheValleyRaider
April 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
We will win because:
-Nate Eachus is ready to take the load at RB for a full season
-Sullivan improves his passing enough to bring balance to the offense
-Defense is ready to return to Colgate standards
-The new lights allow playoff night games that make Lambeau feel like Spring Break in Cancun xcoolx xwhistlex

We won't win because:
-The passing game still won't realistically scare anyone
-The defense suffered from more than just inadequate coaching
-The League continues to be very competitive, and we drop some of the close games we won last year (*coughcough*at Holy Cross*cough*)
-Our schedule doesn't allow for an at-large unless Monmouth turns into Albany, Stony Brook into Liberty, and Cornell/Dartmouth/Princeton put together the greatest 3-team Ivy title race ever

LarryBoy
April 2nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
We will win because we have more offensive weapons than we know what to do with.

We won't win because (even if we're as good as we can be) we're already in a two loss hole (Mizzou and Auburn).

Scumdog0331
April 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
and Cornell/Dartmouth/Princeton put together the greatest 3-team Ivy title race ever

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Although Dartmouth was painfully young this year and we may sneak up on people as our players mature.

UNHWildCats
April 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Why UNH won't win? After being forced to play at the UNI Dome again, UNH pulls off a last second win when the UNI QB throws an interception in the back of the endzone and its returned 109 yards for the win.

UNH is welcomed back to Durham by a crowd the size Durham has never before seen and the partying lasts deep into the night and finally ends when Campus Police, Durham Police and NH State Police show up after some old lady in town calls to complain about all the noise.

The players are brought before the UNH President and the entire team is suspended.

Fans then bomb the football stadium and the Athletic Director immediately decides to drop football and reinstate baseball effective immediately.

TheValleyRaider
April 2nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Although Dartmouth was painfully young this year and we may sneak up on people as our players mature.

Don't worry, no breath holding here xlolx

But hey, I'll be pulling for you guys to do well after the game, like I do with any non-conference opponent xthumbsupx

Except of course for SUNY-Ithaca

jmufan999
April 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
this thread is a trap... you say you won't win, no one is likely to say "sure you will"....

if you say you will win, you sound cocky.

well, i'll give both sides. we won't if we don't have an improvement in the passing game. Dudzik is a talented runner but doesn't have the size of Landers. could be durability problems. he's also not the guaranteed starter. we also had a lot of problems in the defensive secondary last year. McGee should not be our #2 CB, nickel at best (i really feel like we got exposed by Cruz [UMass' sick WR] ). felt like Kevin Grayson (Richmond) kind of exposed us too, but apparently he only had 62 yards. felt like more.

we will (win it all) if all those issues are resolved and we finish in the top 4 of the CAA (if the top 5 have gotten in the past 2 years, i would think top 4 would give you a good chance at the playoffs)... we've got a chance. i think many people will sleep on our team this year, but they shouldn't. we're definitely not the favorites, but i think we'll have a good team. still early.

T-Dog
April 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
Why we'll win: 21/22 starters coming back (one of them being the Walter Payton winner) not to mention we have a 75% success rate at winning National Titles in the last four years.

Why we won't: Special Teams and if we rely on one form of moving the ball more than the other.

JMU Newbill
April 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but I don't think JMU will win it all b/c of our schedule. Our bye week is THE FIRST WEEK OF THE SEASON!!!! No rest at all in the middle of the season... we are going to be broken and battered come playoff time.

I think, like it was said earlier... if we can survive our conference, I always like our chance to make a run in the playoffs.

JMU Newbill
April 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Why we'll win: 21/22 starters coming back (one of them being the Walter Payton winner) not to mention we have a 75% success rate at winning National Titles in the last four years.

Why we won't: Special Teams and if we rely on one form of moving the ball more than the other.

While we are throwing out ridiculous statistics that have no bearing on the argument, you also had a 0% winning percentage against the CAA last year. I guess you better not draw a CAA team in the playoffs!

Here's another one.... JMU has a 20% NC success rate in the last 5 years, as does UR.

That makes sense... right?

TCisMYhero
April 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Why won't we? Two words: Prevent.

clenz
April 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Why we have an explosive offense lead by our QB, why not - well Missouri State doesnt get that lucky.That....and well you have to play UNI and SIU. Until you put up 90 yards on offense on UNI I can't say that you have an exlposive offense:D:D:D:D

Why UNH will win? R.J. Toman is one of the best returning QB's and only a JR., most of the defense returns, Scott Sicko is the best TE in FCS.

Why UNH won't win? The quarterfinals Jinx. Not getting a home game in the playoffs. Lacking a #1 WR. What defense will we get this year, and how will we replace Matt Parent and John Clements?You would probably have to play UNI at some point....we all know how well that works out for you.:D:D:D:D

Why won't we? Two words: Prevent.Saddly I have no witty comeback for this. All I have is we need a coach exclusively for the 4th quarter and we need prevents usually only work well against hail mary's.xoopsx

Reign of Terrier
April 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Why we win: Just expect our offense to be in the top 10 every year and our defense is improved

Why we won't: I know this is coming so I'll post it first: Our defense got killed against App state last year

SunCoastBlueHen
April 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
We won't win because our stud QB will be a bust.

We will win because our defense is incredible and our stud QB will live up to the hype.

Actually, I think the O-line is the biggest variable this year that will ultimately determine the Hen's success. They are an unknown right now and the big boys up front can make all the difference in our stud QB being a bust or living up to the hype. I think Devlin has the skills to be successful...

if he has the time to throw.

DLS
April 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
While we are throwing out ridiculous statistics that have no bearing on the argument, you also had a 0% winning percentage against the CAA last year. I guess you better not draw a CAA team in the playoffs!

Here's another one.... JMU has a 20% NC success rate in the last 5 years, as does UR.

That makes sense... right?

how is saying we've won 3 out of the past 4 nc's a ridiculous statistic? i think it has complete bearing on the arguement.

it pretty much proves we have a team thats been there before and knows how to repeat. it's totally relevant.

achrist70
April 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
That....and well you have to play UNI and SIU. Until you put up 90 yards on offense on UNI I can't say that you have an exlposive offense:D:D:D:D

You would probably have to play UNI at some point....we all know how well that works out for you.:D:D:D:D

Saddly I have no witty comeback for this. All I have is we need a coach exclusively for the 4th quarter and we need prevents usually only work well against hail mary's.xoopsx

Great Post Clenz

seahawkfan2007
April 2nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Being undefeated vs. all FCS playoff teams over the past decade, might be reason to be overconfident. (0-0)

elon77
April 3rd, 2009, 11:44 AM

Are you sure you aren't citdog? Can't be you didn't use capital letters.

GATA
April 3rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
We most likely won't win the national championship because we most likely won't win all of our playoff games. xnodx

You realize that Hatcher's offense is modeled after Mike Leach's, and he is considered the most innovative offensive coach in many decades, right?

The defense is not bad - that's just your perception. Pretty much every team in the conference is giving up more ppg than they have been because the conference is getting better.

I'm well aware that Hatcher's offense is modeled after Mike Leach's...I'm also aware that they're BOTH modeled after Hal Mumme's offense...so who's the "innovative offensive mind" here?

Also...every other team in the conference might be getting worse on defense...but we're still one of the worst defensive teams in the conference...we're giving up 30+ ppg.

technocat
April 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Why we win:
Stellar defense led by Bozeman native Dane Fletcher and a strong lb core. We've added some weapons on offense and if we can get some improved qb play we will make some noise.

Why not:
Losing two team leaders like Demetrius Crawford and Bobby Daly will hurt. It pretty much all depends on the qb showing up to play and play smart.

GaSouthern
April 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
because we cant even win our conference anymore.

ur2k
April 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Why Not - No Sidbury, Logan and Vaughan, and Crone

Why Yes - Eric Ward - Senior QB & Co. Mike London is our coach.

WrenFGun
April 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
I should've added that..

God help my mental and physical health if we have to play UNI again.

Mountain Panther
April 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
We won't repeat because we lost 2 really good defensive ends, 2 excellent tight ends ... and a powerful running back ... also because everyone will be gunning for us now!

We will repeat because everyone else is back!

I thought you guys were loaded coming back, maybe I heard wrong.

Our offensive line AND offensive backfield will help us, secondary is a question mark (surprise, surprise).

Monarch Nation
April 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
We will win the National Championship because people will be astounded at our play and other teams will be dazzled at our skill and ability.

....................what? sorry, I was dreaming there.....................

We haven't played a game yet. Not a chance we see the playoffs for a lot of years, much less win any titles.

Chi Panther
April 3rd, 2009, 07:18 PM

The reason UNI won't win the Championship is because we are UNI. Enough Said.xrotatehx

UNHWildCats
April 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
The reason UNI won't win the Championship is because we are UNI. Enough Said.xrotatehx
someone told D1B to use his jinx on UNI.... I pointed out to that person how much of a waste that would be :D

TCisMYhero
April 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
someone told D1B to use his jinx on UNI.... I pointed out to that person how much of a waste that would be :D

I wish I had a comeback for that. On a bright note, you and yours are welcome in our controlled climate anytime in November.xwhistlex

JDC325
April 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
To young no real upper classman leadership. At least one more roller coaster season.

UNHWildCats
April 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
I wish I had a comeback for that. On a bright note, you and yours are welcome in our controlled climate anytime in November.xwhistlex
you know the law of averages says we have to beat ya eventually... perhaps u guys should move on to another team for a few seasons :p

ncman071
April 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
We win because everybody and their grandmother is coming back from a dissapointing down year only going 11-3. Although the O line still worries me slightly but at least 3 o line starters are back and Acatelli can play tackle if he needs to.

We don't win if both QB's have season ending injuries and Jerry Moore retires mid season.

bleedblue
April 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
UD won't win because our OL
UD will win because our Defense will slap you in the face, after we pick you up off the ground!

spdram
April 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM
"I thought you guys were loaded coming back, maybe I heard wrong."

I assume you are asking about the Spiders because Big House is a die hard Spider fan.

We fans have looked into the future for several years and predicted this could be our strongest team. But at this level every team will have their own question marks. We will lack a proven "power back" which has been a staple on our offense for years. But we have three in the coral competing for the position and I believe one will bust out of the pack providing us with solid play. We lost our two great TE's but our 2nds were pretty good and we moved at least one other to the position and again I think they will hold their own. We lost our long snapper that may have been one of the best ever at 1-AA level (players tell me he never made a bad snap in his entire career). He is getting tryouts with the NFL as a long snapper specialist. The QB and the punter have been heard to say they are very pleased with the new long snapper. Our biggest loss may be the loss of both DE's. The two back ups were special and often we felt we didn't lose much at all when the 2's were in (hard to say considering we felt our 2 DE's were the best pair in the country). One backup, Piere Turner could have started for most teams in the country, he will be counted on big this season. In addition, we have several young guys that are ready to step in. We lose Coach Huesman, the architect of our Stonewall D, but we picked up a new D coordinator with an impressive resume and strong UR connections in Vic Shealy. With Coach London's D background I think our D will be freightening again this coming season. Many long time fans believe out WR's may be the best group in the history of the University.

The reports I have received from most involved with spring practice is that it has been the best we have ever had. If this is true it appears the players have no intention of being happy with last year's success.

Why we'll repeat: We're loaded and know what it takes to win it and the guys are working hard to repeat.

Why we will not repeat: Going into this season there are probably about 25 teams that have the talent to win it -- none are going to give it to us.

uofmman1122
April 4th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Why we will not repeat: Because Montana's going to finish what they started last season.xnodx I think so too.

xlolx:p

mtgrizfan4life
April 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Why the GRIZ won't? Key losses on the O line, new starting qb, lost a lot of leaders, the return of old playcalling from our OC. Many in GRIZNATION question if he can have 2 good years in a row with better than average playcalling and player utilization.

Why the GRIZ will? A much better O line coach returns, the return of Chase Reynolds, Very versatile athletic qbs with 2 of the 3 able to play WR or RB in a wildcat formation. Great WR/TE/RB depth, healthy DL( the national emergence of Carson Bender), all 3 top CB's return, kicking game can only get better, and as always defensive depth for fresh bodies on that side of the ball.

Native
April 5th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Most of the Wildcat starters return, Mac recruited well, and key subs from 2008 are looking good.

For 2009, Weber State brings back:
#1 FCS passer (QB Cameron Higgins with 4,460 yards),
#1 FCS receiver (WR Tim Toone with 1525 yards), and
#1 FCS scorer (Trevyn Smith with 156 points)

On the other hand, linebackers could be a question.

Oldhen
April 5th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Actually, I think the O-line is the biggest variable this year that will ultimately determine the Hen's success.

We went into last season with three significant questions on offense (OL, QB, RB)and got all the wrong answers.

We go into this season with the exact same questions on offense.

We will win if KC and Co. figured out why we got the wrong answers last year, and fixed it.

We won't win because the CAA South just might be passing us by.

WMTribe90
April 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Why Not - No Sidbury, Logan and Vaughan, and Crone

Why Yes - Eric Ward - Senior QB & Co. Mike London is our coach.

UR will miss the players you list. I'm sure the new starters will be very good, but hard to believe there will be no drop off. From my perspective, the biggest obstacle to a UR repeat is the loss of Coach Huesman. He is a great DC, both as a motivator and with schemes.

Remember too that UR almost missed the playoffs. I think there are four or five playoff caliber teams in the CAA South this year and at least one of them won't make it past conference play. Conversely any CAA team that makes the playoffs can get hot and make a run to Nooga.

RichH2
April 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
In a perfect world,,

LU can win if new wrs excel and no injuries at rb. D is rock solid

Wont if Coen goes back into O shell Walker hurt,wrs bomb

Hellgate60
April 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM
UR will miss the players you list. I'm sure the new starters will be very good, but hard to believe there will be no drop off. From my perspective, the biggest obstacle to a UR repeat is the loss of Coach Huesman. He is a great DC, both as a motivator and with schemes.

Remember too that UR almost missed the playoffs. I think there are four or five playoff caliber teams in the CAA South this year and at least one of them won't make it past conference play. Conversely any CAA team that makes the playoffs can get hot and make a run to Nooga.

I'm pretty sure that could be any team that makes it to the playoff. Not just a team from the CAA

Tribe4SF
April 6th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that could be any team that makes it to the playoff. Not just a team from the CAA

Not really. The power conferences seem to have separated themselves from the field over the last few years. The MEAC, Patriot, OVC and Southland have struggled to get wins in the first round. CAA, Socon, MVC and Big Sky have become dominant in the playoffs.

WMTribe90's point is backed up by the fact that an at-large CAA team has made it to Chattanooga in three of the last five years, with two winning the title. The other finalists have all been conference champions. All have come from the four power conferences.

Uncle Buck
April 6th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Why we will...well we just won't

Why we won't....well we just won't

Still young and lack size in certain areas. Though i do like the freshman QB Probst who replaced our #2 Cory Christopher last year after he too went down with an injury. I just want to get back to the playoffs again.

appfan2008
April 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I am sure ASU has been mentioned many times but we
will win if the o line steps up and plays well/AE stays healthy
wont win if o line has any problems or AE gets hurt (that seems to happen a lot)

Hoyadestroya85
April 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Why We'll Win:
Experienced, tough sunuvabitch QB Chris Whitney returning.
The Running game powered By Aaron Ball.
17 Returning starters
Big, talented offensive line.
Talented returning receiving corps
Linebackers

Why We Won't:
The loss of Darrel Young and All American Greg Miller on defense.
Questionable defensive philosophy (heavy blitzing, playing off receivers)
Big question marks at tight end, right tackle and defensive end
Andy Talley may be forever doomed to be the best FCS coach to never win the big one.

DLS
April 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I am sure ASU has been mentioned many times but we
will win if the o line steps up and plays well/AE stays healthy
wont win if o line has any problems or AE gets hurt (that seems to happen a lot)

i think if AE gets hurt we can still be okay. alot of talent has been brought in and there is bound to be a baller in the bunch.

shouldnt matter anyways though because apparently deandre has stepped up big time according to spring practice reports.

Hellgate60
April 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Not really. The power conferences seem to have separated themselves from the field over the last few years. The MEAC, Patriot, OVC and Southland have struggled to get wins in the first round. CAA, Socon, MVC and Big Sky have become dominant in the playoffs.

WMTribe90's point is backed up by the fact that an at-large CAA team has made it to Chattanooga in three of the last five years, with two winning the title. The other finalists have all been conference champions. All have come from the four power conferences.

Montana last year was an at-large from the Big Sky and App State was an at-large from the Socon the year before. With Weber State and Wofford getting the Automatics. My point was just if a team gets hot at the right time they can do some damage come playoff time.

phillyAPP
April 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
"I thought you guys were loaded coming back, maybe I heard wrong."

I assume you are asking about the Spiders because Big House is a die hard Spider fan.

We fans have looked into the future for several years and predicted this could be our strongest team. But at this level every team will have their own question marks. We will lack a proven "power back" which has been a staple on our offense for years. But we have three in the coral competing for the position and I believe one will bust out of the pack providing us with solid play. We lost our two great TE's but our 2nds were pretty good and we moved at least one other to the position and again I think they will hold their own. We lost our long snapper that may have been one of the best ever at 1-AA level (players tell me he never made a bad snap in his entire career). He is getting tryouts with the NFL as a long snapper specialist. The QB and the punter have been heard to say they are very pleased with the new long snapper. Our biggest loss may be the loss of both DE's. The two back ups were special and often we felt we didn't lose much at all when the 2's were in (hard to say considering we felt our 2 DE's were the best pair in the country). One backup, Piere Turner could have started for most teams in the country, he will be counted on big this season. In addition, we have several young guys that are ready to step in. We lose Coach Huesman, the architect of our Stonewall D, but we picked up a new D coordinator with an impressive resume and strong UR connections in Vic Shealy. With Coach London's D background I think our D will be freightening again this coming season. Many long time fans believe out WR's may be the best group in the history of the University.

The reports I have received from most involved with spring practice is that it has been the best we have ever had. If this is true it appears the players have no intention of being happy with last year's success.

Why we'll repeat: We're loaded and know what it takes to win it and the guys are working hard to repeat.

Why we will not repeat: Going into this season there are probably about 25 teams that have the talent to win it -- none are going to give it to us.

Very well written... Good Luck... Spiders played hard and with pride.

McNeese72
April 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
The McNeese sandbagging tradition continues. xsmiley_wix :p

Looks like McNeese75 is cutting in on my territory.

The reason why McNeese won't win the NC:

Because we play in the Southland Conference and everybody knows the Southland Conference is weak and sucks when it comes playoff time. ;)

Doc

otto4pres
April 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Abstinence.

Shellin
April 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Why we will:
-The defense is stacked in the secondary, even with the loss of Colt and knowing Hauck we will have a bunch of able bodies rotating in the front 7, so we should be very good on defense again
-The aforementioned addition of Germer as our offensive line coach
-We should be able to run the ball with Reynolds well enough to take the pressure off our new QB, whoever that ends up being
-Kicking game can't be worse (although losing our punter could cause problems)
-Marc Mariani

Why we won't:
-Breaking in a new QB
-Quite a few new faces (along the defensive and offensive lines especially)
-There are quite a few other very good teams out there
-We play in a weak conference that should have admitted the xDSU's when we had the chance xsmiley_wix
-We haven't played an FBS team since Iowa in 2006 xeekx
-We have a weak non-conference schedule that won't prepare us for the playoffs xrolleyesx
-We need the 1 or 2 seed in the playoffs because we can't win away from home. xwhistlex

vettert49
April 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Why we will:
-The defense is stacked in the secondary, even with the loss of Colt and knowing Hauck we will have a bunch of able bodies rotating in the front 7, so we should be very good on defense again
-We should be able to run the ball with Reynolds well enough to take the pressure off our new QB, whoever that ends up being
-Marc Mariani

Why we won't:
-Breaking in a new QB
-We play in a weak conference that should have admitted the xDSU's when we had the chance xsmiley_wix
-We have a weak non-conference schedule that won't prepare us for the playoffs xrolleyesx
-We need the 1 or 2 seed in the playoffs because we can't win away from home. xwhistlex

Not sure why people say we can't win on the road. Its all about the team make-up. Last year we went to JMU and won, it wasn't a fluke, we were well prepared. It seems to me that in the recent past we had troubles winning in the playoffs period (Wofford-07@home, UMASS-06@home, Cal Poly-05@home) So why is there the myth that we only can win at home in the playoffs?

JMU Newbill
April 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Not sure why people say we can't win on the road. Its all about the team make-up. Last year we went to JMU and won, it wasn't a fluke, we were well prepared. It seems to me that in the recent past we had troubles winning in the playoffs period (Wofford-07@home, UMASS-06@home, Cal Poly-05@home) So why is there the myth that we only can win at home in the playoffs?

Did you really have to bring the JMU game up??? xoopsx

ASUG8
April 8th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Why we will:
-Marc Mariani

Why we won't:
-Breaking in a new QB

where's Wolfman? He'd give ONLY the reasons why you won't win (and they all begin with Hauck) xoopsx

Bill Hanson
April 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Two words

IDAHO STATE

uofmman1122
April 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Did you really have to bring the JMU game up??? xoopsxWho wouldn`t want to bring up such a terrific game? :D xlolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Richmond still would have made the playoffs, even if we lost at the Indian Reservation. We would have taken Maine's bid.

The fact that 4 or 5 teams in the CAA South could make the playoffs and that one of them could get to Chattanooga isn't much of a reach. Half of the CAA South teams have won National Championships in the last 6 years.

JMU Newbill
April 9th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Richmond still would have made the playoffs, even if we lost at the Indian Reservation. We would have taken Maine's bid.

The fact that 4 or 5 teams in the CAA South could make the playoffs and that one of them could get to Chattanooga isn't much of a reach. Half of the CAA South teams have won National Championships in the last 6 years.

I hope the trend of having a plethora of CAA South teams in the playoffs continue.... because I honestly see JMU finishing 3rd in the South this year... but with a very strong team that has the potential to win in the playoffs. Who do I have finishing ahead of JMU??? Well I will let you decide that on your own!

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I hope the trend of having a plethora of CAA South teams in the playoffs continue.... because I honestly see JMU finishing 3rd in the South this year... but with a very strong team that has the potential to win in the playoffs. Who do I have finishing ahead of JMU??? Well I will let you decide that on your own!

The big variables are Devlin and Dudzik. I think either are capable of leading their team to 1st or 5th in the division. I think Villanova, Richmond, and W&M are fairly known commodities, barring injuries, of course.

I have been surprised to see JMU fans think they won't get much dropoff from Landers to Dudzik. A player like Landers doesn't come along often. It is especially surprising considering we have really only seen Dudzik play in 1 game.

Losing Lemn and Apted on the O-line will hurt as well.

JMU Newbill
April 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
The big variables are Devlin and Dudzik. I think either are capable of leading their team to 1st or 5th in the division. I think Villanova, Richmond, and W&M are fairly known commodities, barring injuries, of course.

I have been surprised to see JMU fans think they won't get much dropoff from Landers to Dudzik. A player like Landers doesn't come along often. It is especially surprising considering we have really only seen Dudzik play in 1 game.

Losing Lemn and Apted on the O-line will hurt as well.

Yea I agree with all your points. I think some of it may be wishful thinking, but I think some of it may be that Dudzik reminds us of Rascati in that he is mobile, but not necessarily a run first QB.

Yea.... we've only seen Dudzik play a major role in a game once... but it was in a pretty big spot, he came into the game in a hole, and made some big plays. He could have just as easily come in and folded, and no one would have been surprised.

But yea... like I said... I see JMU finishing 3rd in the south. Not necessarily cause of what we lost, I just think UR and Villanova are going to be very very tough and our "luck" may have run out.

Either way, we will never be as good as App State, so it doesn't really matter xbowx

DSUrocks07
April 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Why?

Because we're Delaware.....

Why Not?

.....State xwhistlex

jstclmet
April 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Why we win, everyone remains healthy

Why we won't, lack of depth.

paward
April 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Why we win! Because we are the defending Champions

Why we lose! Because we are the defending Champions with a target on back

jstclmet
April 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Why we won't:
-Breaking in a new QB
-We need the 1 or 2 seed in the playoffs because we can't win away from home.
-No answer for the "SPIN" move
xwhistlex

Fixed itxlolx

crusader11
April 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Why?

Because we have Dominic Randolph and one of the most potent offenses in the FCS.

Why not?

Too many questions and holes on defense, particularly in the secondary.

BobcatTXST04
April 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Why we won't:
Too many questions on defense. We just graduated most of our defensive line and have a relatively young group replacing them. We also lost one of our best offensive weapons in Cam Luke to graduation. Our QB still has more questions than I am comfortable with and I'm not sure about any of our backup QB's.

Why we will:
Our defense was never that great to begin with and we can still keep the score board lit up. Our offensive production should still be one of the top in the nation and our defense has no-where to go but up.

Hard to say honestly. Didn't get much from spring practice this year so we won't really have a good idea of where our team stands until maybe 3-4 games into the season. Our OOC is blah for the most part (save for TCU) so we won't know much until conference play begins.

hawkssb04
April 20th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Most of the Wildcat starters return, Mac recruited well, and key subs from 2008 are looking good.

For 2009, Weber State brings back:
#1 FCS passer (QB Cameron Higgins with 4,460 yards),
#1 FCS receiver (WR Tim Toone with 1525 yards), and
#1 FCS scorer (Trevyn Smith with 156 points)

On the other hand, linebackers could be a question.

I agree with everything said above. In addition, here is why they will win the national championship.

The Wildcats return seven (Yes, I said seven) Sports Network All-Americans, more than any other school in the FCS. The Wildcats are battle tested from last season and gained the confidence they needed to compete on the national stage with wins over Cal Poly and Montana. A tough preseason with games against Wyoming and Colorado State, in addition to a non-conference finale vs Cal Poly at home gives WSU a chance to impress FCS voters for one of the top 4 seeds in the playoffs with wins over those big-name schools.

Why WSU won't win the national title.
Injuries to the offensive line are a questionmark for WSU heading into summer camp. Losing practically every coach on the staff except for Ron McBride also hurts the Wildcats chances at a repeat of last season's success. Also, WSU doesn't play any bottom feeders in the preseason to pad their win total like the University of Montana does every year (Western State and UC Davis). That could hurt their overall record and a chance at a top 4 seed in the FCS playoffs. Academics are also a question for WSU, which can't seem to get it's APR scores up to par and they continually run the risk at postseason bans like Eastern Washington University suffered.

Houndawg
April 22nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Why we'll win:

The MVC champs return ten starters on D and seven on O that now have a year of experience with a new coach and system. A team that can win the conference in the situation they were in last year after being picked to finish fifth in the MVC has good intangibles.

Why we won't:

Dale Lennon is still adapting Jerry Kill's run first recruits to the modern spread offense.

achrist70
April 22nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Why we'll win:

The MVC champs return ten starters on D and seven on O that now have a year of experience with a new coach and system. A team that can win the conference in the situation they were in last year after being picked to finish fifth in the MVC has good intangibles.

Why we won't:

Dale Lennon is still adapting Jerry Kill's run first recruits to the modern spread offense.

October 17th is in Cedar Falls this year, and there is of course the home and home agreement between the two schools.

TheBisonator
April 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Why we won't win: Mertens is the QB and there's nobody holding the clipboard behind him.

Why we'll win: n/a