PDA

View Full Version : 'Cats Set for National Television ... Again

bobcatfan06
November 27th, 2005, 02:47 PM
'Cats Set for National Television ... Again

Cal Poly/Texas State game to be broadcast by ESPN2

Texas State will play host to Cal Poly Saturday at 3 p.m. in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs. The game will be broadcast live by ESPN2.

Nov. 27, 2005

SAN MARCOS - Texas State University's quarterfinal NCAA Division I-AA playoff game with Cal Poly will be broadcast live Saturday on ESPN2. Kickoff for the game is set for 3 p.m. from Jim Wacker Field at Bobcat Stadium.

Saturday's game will mark the second straight week the Bobcats have played on ESPN2.

Texas State (10-2) came from behind to beat Georgia Southern 50-35 to advance to the quarterfinals. In that game, Bobcat quarterback Barrick Nealy passed for a school-record 400 yards and accounted for 526 yards of total offense. Defensively, the `Cats held Georgia Southern to zero net yards in the fourth quarter.

Cal Poly advances to the quarterfinals after going on the road to knock off Montana, 35-21. In that game, Mustang red-shirt freshman running back James Noble rushed for 188 yards and four touchdowns while senior defensive end Chris Gocong recorded three of Cal Poly's seven sacks. Gocong, a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award, has 22 of Cal Poly's 57 quarterback sacks this season.

Tickets for Saturday's game will go on sale Monday at 8 a.m. at the Texas State athletic ticket office. Season ticket holders will have until Monday at 5 p.m. to reserve their seats. Ticket prices will remain the same as Texas State's first-round game - $12 for reserved, $10 for general admission and $5 for student and youth tickets. Both the student and youth tickets are available only for the east-side stands.

Tickets will be available for pickup at the athletic ticket office located at the corner of Aquarena Springs and Charles Austin at 8 a.m. on Wednesday. Fans are encouraged to pick up their tickets early to avoid will call lines on game day at Bobcat Stadium.

For additional ticket information contact the athletic ticket office at (512) 245-2272 or (877) 798-CATS.

Also in quarterfinal action Saturday, No. 1 seed New Hampshire (10-1) will play host to Northern Iowa (9-3) at 11 a.m. Southern Illinois (9-3) travels to No. 2 seed Appalachian State (9-3) for a 2:30 p.m. game. Also Saturday, Furman (10-2) is at Richmond (9-3) for a 6 p.m. game. All game times listed are local time. The other three games will be broadcast on ESPNU/ESPN Game Plan.

http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112705aac.html

Looks like the Bobcats and Mustangs win. I bet alot of it has to do with us having lights, Tx and Cal are HUGE markets, plus good weather chances in the south.

griz37
November 27th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Go Cal Poly!!!

Hansel
November 27th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Sweet, ESPN did a nice job for the game in San Marcos last week, plus both GSU and TSU looked real good. My relatives thought I was watching a IA game

Wellington
November 27th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Go Poly! :asswhip:

blackfordpu
November 27th, 2005, 07:46 PM
How does Cal Poly measure up against Tx State? I don't know much about them.

I am impressed that they won at Montana though. That has to say something.

Kill'em
November 27th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Congratulations to TXST on your win. This is one team people better not take lightly.

89Hen
November 27th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Sweet, ESPN did a nice job for the game in San Marcos last week, plus both GSU and TSU looked real good. My relatives thought I was watching a IA game
Agreed, overall I thought it looked pretty darn good. UNH on the other hand... :(

Hansel
November 27th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Agreed, overall I thought it looked pretty darn good. UNH on the other hand... :(
The comment I heard about the UNH game was "wow that isn't much of a stadium"

mainejeff
November 27th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Thankfully stadiums don't play the games.

Poly Pigskin
November 27th, 2005, 10:27 PM

I agree, that game looked better than some of the weeknight I-A games that ESPN televises from time to time. I'm glad they picked this one, but they should have 1 or 2 of the other games on as well. These are all quality matchups and it's not fair to choose only one.

mainejeff
November 27th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Maybe only teams with nice stadiums should be playing for the Championship?

McNeese75
November 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe only teams with nice stadiums should be playing for the Championship?

Nawwwwwwwwww, let em play, just don't let em host!! :D

Sam_Kats
November 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM
You're right...stadiums will not 'directly' get your championships, but they will get you TV deals which might lead to some great recruiting classes...and those great recruits might win you some games, and those wins might bring out some fans, and the packed houses might create a unique gameday atmosphere, and the atmosphere combined with the winning seasons might bring an excellent coach...and what do you know...you've got yourself a CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBUR PROGRAM (i.e. Montana, Georgia Southern, McNeese, Deleware, etc).

I have to agree...I fell asleep during the UNH game and not only because it was an a$$ kickin' -- it was just a boring atmosphere. Sorry!

GtFllsGriz
November 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I am thrilled to hear that. I recorded the TX State/GSU game but didn't get the second half. I was devistated.

This should be a great matchup.

I have to pull for Cal Poly after watching them twice this year. They are a great team and I expect that they will play Texas St. real tough.

Good luck to both teams. I will be pulling for either one of you to take home all the marbles.

mainejeff
November 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
You're right...stadiums will not 'directly' get your championships, but they will get you TV deals which might lead to some great recruiting classes...and those great recruits might win you some games, and those wins might bring out some fans, and the packed houses might create a unique gameday atmosphere, and the atmosphere combined with the winning seasons might bring an excellent coach...and what do you know...you've got yourself a CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBUR PROGRAM (i.e. Montana, Georgia Southern, McNeese, Deleware, etc).

I have to agree...I fell asleep during the UNH game and not only because it was an a$$ kickin' -- it was just a boring atmosphere. Sorry!

Yeah, I watch the games to see people picking their noses and drinking beer in the stands too. :rolleyes:

soweagle
November 28th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I recorded the TX State/GSU game but didn't get the second half.

Don't worry the GSU team didn't get it either. :D

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Bobcat faithful are stirring about a possible 17k+ at their stadium...stadium records and all sorts of good stuff.

I hope they can maintain it after this year. Would be great if we had one helluva an SLC football venue along with McNeese in terms of a place with a great I-AA football environment...

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I watch the games to see people picking their noses and drinking beer in the stands too. :rolleyes:
Jeff, you're being ridiculous if you think having a big crowd in a nice stadium doesn't add to the excitement of the game, even on TV. :nonono2: The broadcast from Durham was extremely weak.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 28th, 2005, 03:10 PM
In defense of the UNH - Colgate game, you can't beat a snow broadcast! I love the conditions there even if the venue isn't the most attractive. That was some great football weather in Durham. They deserved the TV attention as the #1 seed and team in the nation and they proved it big time over Colgate.

...but... did anyone else think Colgate's Qb's helmet looked too big for his head? Not trying to demean anyone, it just looked kinda like a kid among men.

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Jeff, you're being ridiculous if you think having a big crowd in a nice stadium doesn't add to the excitement of the game, even on TV. :nonono2: The broadcast from Durham was extremely weak.

I disagree - it may not have been Newark or Missoula, but I thought the crowd was very active and loud in Durham. Yeah it's small, yeah there are louder places, but UNH got the seed by their play on the field and the UNH faithful, albeit small in number, have responded and showed up. Getting 7k to 8k people to a UNH game is a pretty big accomplishment. A lot of more storied and more successful IAA programs (*cough* Furman *cough*) struggled to get half that. Besides, I tend to watch what's on the field, not just the athletic facilities and the people in them. UNH looked very strong there.

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I tend to watch what's on the field, not just the athletic facilities and the people in them. UNH looked very strong there.
That's not in question.

BTW, if they had been able to shoot the game from the visitors side, it may have made a difference. Most shots showed either metal bleachers or people standing around a fence. Again, it has no bearing on the game or the quality of the football, but many people tuning in would think it was Division IV football to see it on TV. I watched the UNH game and the Texas State game and the latter looked MUCH better. We're talking asthetics and atmosphere here GF.

Bobcat94
November 28th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Bobcat faithful are stirring about a possible 17k+ at their stadium...stadium records and all sorts of good stuff.

I hope they can maintain it after this year. Would be great if we had one helluva an SLC football venue along with McNeese in terms of a place with a great I-AA football environment...

Thanks, guy. I hope along with A LOT of Bocat fans we can maintain it. You should try and make the game this weekend! I have a feeling it could be a record setting day for attendance. And it was loud last week.

mainejeff
November 28th, 2005, 04:11 PM

A close game adds to the excitement of a game IMO. Unless you're watching a game at Notre Dame, Tennessee, etc.....the crowd is rarely something worth looking at unless it's some pretty little co-ed with huge knockers.

Kill'em
November 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM
In defense of the UNH - Colgate game, you can't beat a snow broadcast! I love the conditions there even if the venue isn't the most attractive. That was some great football weather in Durham. They deserved the TV attention as the #1 seed and team in the nation and they proved it big time over Colgate.

...but... did anyone else think Colgate's Qb's helmet looked too big for his head? Not trying to demean anyone, it just looked kinda like a kid among men.
I don't know about the QB but one of their receivers, I believe his number was 17, had a helmet that made him look like The Great Gazoo (spelling ?) from The Flintstones.

89Hen
November 28th, 2005, 04:24 PM
A close game adds to the excitement of a game IMO. Unless you're watching a game at Notre Dame, Tennessee, etc.....the crowd is rarely something worth looking at unless it's some pretty little co-ed with huge knockers.
So this game had NEITHER. :rolleyes: :cool: :nonono2:

mainejeff
November 28th, 2005, 04:25 PM
http://www.insidejoke.tv/images/200111/Gazoo2.gif

;)