PDA

View Full Version : Random playoff thoughts...

PapaBear
November 27th, 2005, 10:54 AM
1. Texas State is my darkhorse to win it all. Stunning comeback vs GSU and their QB is the real friggin deal.

2. Loved watching Richmond win but I gotta believe their total lack of a passing game will be a big challenge, going forward. In fact, their lack of any threat beyond Tutt is a concern. But they have grit and a great young coach -- two things you can NEVER discount in football.

3. Speaking of grit -- how bout dem Leopards?? Were it not for some VERY costly blunders by their first-time-starter QB, they win. I thought the turning point was Davis' pick on the quick slant in Q3 after LC had driven the field and was ready to go up by two scores. It was a ball he never should have thrown -- at least not so tentatively.

4. I'm getting tired of the "Yeah but we gave them all they could handle" speech given by perceived underdogs after losing. That's a lame attempt to claim glory you don't deserve. Contrary to popular opinion, it IS whether you win or lose. Congratulate your opponent. Vow to work harder and get better. But don't act like you actually won something when you didn't.

5. Colgate was out of their league against UNH. Sorry PL'ers. I love your league and I'm still paying the tab for my daughter's education at one of your more notable institutions of higher learning. But the Red Raiders had no answer for UNH's skill set. I frankly can't think of a playoff team they'd have hung with ... at least not from what I saw in 12 hours of playoff IAA TV watching on Saturday.

6. Hampton was vastly overrated at No. 2. At the very least, they looked like a team that had never had to pick itself up off the canvas and punch back. They CLEARLY lost to a team that wanted it more.

7. Finally ... and you probably knew this was coming ... even in a down year, the A10 proved to be a premier (if not THE premier) IAA conference. Both UNH and Richmond made their opponents look inept.

I know, I know ... some of ths may come off a bit harsh from such an irregular poster and a fan of a team that had a mediocre season, at best. But as time and season pass, you'll come to learn that I hold my own team to the same standards.

Good luck to all in the next round. But BEST of luck to the 'Cats and Spiders.

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 10:57 AM
3. Speaking of grit -- how bout dem Leopards?? Were it not for some VERY costly blunders by their first-time-starter QB, they win. It thought the turning point was Davis' pick on the slant in Q3 after LC had driven the field and was ready to go up by two scores. It was a ball he never should have thrown, let alone thrown too tentatively.

4. I'm getting tired of the "Yeah but we gave them all they could handle" speech given by perceived underdogs after losing. That's a lame attempt to claim glory you don't deserve. Contrary to popular opinion, it IS whether you win or lose. Congratulate your opponent. Vow to work harder and get better. But don't act like you actually won something when you didn't.

LOL! Aren't those two kind of contradictory?

Seriously, though, Lafayette's performance was the biggest surprise to me yesterday.

UNHknowledge
November 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM

LOL I was thinking the exaaact same thing. I thought Papa Bear did a good job other than that and I commend him for tuning into 12 hrs of football.

PapaBear
November 27th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Yea, a little I guess. I used the LC/ASU game more as an example of why I despise pre-game burials. (No one gave Lafayette even a ghost of a chance in this one.)

But I never made that clear. My bad.

SpiderMo
November 27th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Re: #1 - What are your thoughts of TSU's ability to take that speed on the road to the cold and snow at UNH in a couple weeks?

Re: #2 - I think you'll find our passing game to be very serviceable. Our #2 wr was hobbled last night and when you can run over the d-line and control the clock, why boother putting it up?! overall, tutt has been a fine passer this year.

PapaBear
November 27th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Re: #1 - What are your thoughts of TSU's ability to take that speed on the road to the cold and snow at UNH in a couple weeks?

No idea, but it's certainly something to think about. If TSU THINKS the weather gives UNH an edge, then it will. But in (physiological) reality, it affects both teams the same. Just like rain.

Re: #2 - I think you'll find our passing game to be very serviceable. Our #2 wr was hobbled last night and when you can run over the d-line and control the clock, why boother putting it up?! overall, tutt has been a fine passer this year.

As a passer, Tutt is only marginally better than any great athlete who's put at QB and given a chance to throw than an occasional RB option pass in practice. He has a powerful arm. But so would any well-conditioned RB or WR or TE who was given a chance to polish his passing mechanics a bit. He is not a kid who can hurt you with his arm or his feet. He can hurt you with his feet, but if he were expected to win a game with his arm ... well, as an A10 fan I'd be hoping for the best but expecting the worst. jmo... Nothing personal. I'd pay money to watch him play anytime anywhere.

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM

I'm not the one being asked but I think question #1 is a very good one. Texas State's players are totally unfamiliar with that kind of cold weather. I think it'll be a huge advantage for New Hampshire. They need to pull for UNI, which plays in a dome but still should have players who have far more experience in cold conditions, to pull the upset.

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 27th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I'm not the one being asked but I think question #1 is a very good one. Texas State's players are totally unfamiliar with that kind of cold weather. I think it'll be a huge advantage for New Hampshire. They need to pull for UNI, which plays in a dome but still should have players who have far more experience in cold conditions, to pull the upset.

:( :nod: