PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Northern Iowa @ New Hampshire

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Here's my preview of the game the quarterfinals. A few colgate fans disliked my preview last week but i was pretty much right on the money.
http://www.geocities.com/tjliles04/colgateatunh

So while I know UNI fans will not like it, its how I see the game coming out, Best of luck to UNI on Saturday.
http://www.geocities.com/tjliles04/uniatnewhampshire

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Early weather forecast... for UNI @ UNH next Saturday

High... 37

Low... 25

partly cloudy... 20% chance of percipitation

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Early weather forecast... for UNI @ UNH next Saturday

High... 37

Low... 25

partly cloudy... 20% chance of percipitation

:beerchug: here's hoping for cold cold snowy weather

OxSoxUNH05
November 27th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Amen to that prayer brother

skinny_uncle
November 27th, 2005, 08:54 AM
This has the makings of a wild shootout. Turnovers could be key. Between the two teams I expect over 80 points. The football should spend a lot of time in the air. It should be fun.
:)

Reed Rothchild
November 27th, 2005, 09:24 AM
If UNI were to be playing against 20,000+ screaming/insane fans, like in Montana or Delaware, I would be more concerned. However, that environment at UNH is anything but intimidating. We have balance on offense and a defense that will make plays. Heck, I remember all last week everyone on here was blabbing about the Big Sky superiority and that EWU would just waltz in and destroy UNI. This game will be closer than what most of you guys think.

skinny_uncle
November 27th, 2005, 09:26 AM
If UNI were to be playing against 20,000+ screaming/insane fans, like in Montana or Delaware, I would be more concerned. However, that environment at UNH is anything but intimidating. We have balance on offense and a defense that will make plays. Heck, I remember all last week everyone on here was blabbing about the Big Sky superiority and that EWU would just waltz in and destroy UNI. This game will be closer than what most of you guys think.
It looks like the Big Sky gets to sit home and watch the games next week.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Better defenses then UNI have tried and failed against UNH... Mass, Colgate and UC Davis all top 20 defenses in the nation yet UNH still wins and wins and wins. 10,000+ at Durham against Colgate and expect much of the same this coming weekend.

nmatsen
November 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM
UNH Wildcats;
Although I respect your input on this board and the time you take to show statistics and that sort of thing, obviosly I don't like your prediction on the game or score, and can even agree with you on 3 of your 4 advantages but how do you give UNH the advantage when UNI passes the ball? I don't understand, did you have a science behind it or something? I mean, I thought your secondary looked fairly soft yesterday against Colgate High.

Reed Rothchild
November 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Better defenses then UNI have tried and failed against UNH... Mass, Colgate and UC Davis all top 20 defenses in the nation yet UNH still wins and wins and wins. 10,000+ at Durham against Colgate and expect much of the same this coming weekend.

People were saying the same about EWU and that the only reason they lost 4 games was due to injury.

Keep trying to convince me that there were 10,000 people at that playoff game in Durham. I had just as many people for my high school games in Iowa and my team sucked.

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM
People were saying the same about EWU and that the only reason they lost 4 games was due to injury.

Keep trying to convince me that there were 10,000 people at that playoff game in Durham. I had just as many people for my high school games in Iowa and my team sucked.

but apparently there were more people at the UNH game then were at your comfy 'dome'...

UNI... 7,746

UNH... 7,806

nmatsen
November 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM
but apparently there were more people at the UNH game then were at your comfy 'dome'...

UNI... 7,746

UNH... 7,806

Key word apparently ;)

Reed Rothchild
November 27th, 2005, 09:39 AM

UNI... 7,746

UNH... 7,806

Its called undereporting. How many "attended" your first round game at Delaware last year? Just like Missoula only had around 16,000 yesterday :rolleyes:

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 09:39 AM

UNI... 7,746

UNH... 7,806

UNH had over 10,000 fans they announced a low figure but there were over 10000 in attendance

Reed Rothchild
November 27th, 2005, 09:41 AM

I would call UC Davis giving up only 17 points hardly a failure. William and Mary didn't fail either by only giving up 10.

This game will be closer than you think.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I would call UC Davis giving up only 17 points hardly a failure. William and Mary didn't fail either by only giving up 10.

This game will be closer than you think.

in terms of winning and losing UC Davis lost therefor failed.

Reed Rothchild
November 27th, 2005, 09:44 AM
UNH had over 10,000 fans they announced a low figure but there were over 10000 in attendance

OK. Keep telling yourself that. xidiotx :rolleyes:

Irregardless, that environment is nothing like Missoula, Marshall, Delaware, etc. Our team will not be overwhelmed by the crowd.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Irregardless, that environment is nothing like Missoula, Marshall, Delaware, etc. Our team will not be overwhelmed by the crowd.

i have one number for you

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I agree... it's Santos... Ball & company that you have to worry about... ;)

bcrawf
November 27th, 2005, 09:51 AM
59 points???

You are a moron, even Iowa at Kinnick only put up 45 and the last touchdown was a broken play with less than a minute left.

Our D is substantially better than Colgate. They are not great statistically but ask EWU about the 4th quarter last night!!

UNHknowledge
November 27th, 2005, 09:52 AM

First of all...Yes, there were def 10,000 plus fans there and they were loud and did a great job cheering. Second of all...don't you realize the players love going on the road to play at hostile environments. At least UNH loved it last year: Delaware, Rutgers, GSU. The players get very amped to play on the road at a hostile environment. We'll see how UNI responds to Cowell next Saturday...whether we have 10,000 plus or 4,000 the Cats I assure you will be ready to go.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 09:54 AM
59 points???

You are a moron, even Iowa at Kinnick only put up 45 and the last touchdown was a broken play with less than a minute left.

Our D is substantially better than Colgate. They are not great statistically but ask EWU about the 4th quarter last night!!

well last week colgate fans didnt like my prediction but i was just about right on target, and next sunday Im certain i will have been right on target again, if not you may call me a moron then

Reed Rothchild
November 27th, 2005, 09:56 AM
i have one number for you

I'm sure we would be similar if we got to play Iona, Northeastern, Towson, and Rhode Island every year.

OK, Here's one for you

Eric Sanders efficiency rating over 10 games.

Another one

The number of games our QB has started, finished, and lost at UNI. One of those was against Iowa where he lit a first team Big 10 defense up for 269 yards and 3 tds. The other was a loss in the first game he started as a freshman. Just cuz he dosen't play in the A-10 or at Montana doesn't mean he's no good. He's a gamer.

Reed Rothchild
November 27th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I agree... it's Santos... Ball & company that you have to worry about... ;)

Right. They scare me.

WMTribe90
November 27th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Well, since I went 8-0 yesterday I'll offer my opinion on this one. UNH will win this one and not because of the weather or becuase of the size of the UNH attendance. UNH will win because the game is on grass and they have the better team. It will be closer than most think. UNH's defense is vulnerable to the pass and will give up some points. UNI is good with a healthy Sanders, but can't outscore UNH.

UNH 41 UNI 30

PantherMan
November 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM

10,000+ huh?? Maybe UNH is new to the whole hosting of playoff games thing, but you're supposed to underreport, not grossly overreport! Your bleachers looked VERY smallish, and at that they weren't full. You can't tell me that there were 8,000 fans standing around the track... :rolleyes:

UNH_ORACLE
November 27th, 2005, 01:09 PM
10,000+ huh?? Maybe UNH is new to the whole hosting of playoff games thing, but you're supposed to underreport, not grossly overreport! Your bleachers looked VERY smallish, and at that they weren't full. You can't tell me that there were 8,000 fans standing around the track... :rolleyes:

this should be the last thing on the attendance issue, which is the dumbest thing I've ever seen argued... UNH seats apporximately 7,000 and 7,000 seats were sold out by game time, the rest was standing room and maybe temporary bleachers or something. i am not sure the reported attendance but I have heard something around 7,500. The bleachers were full and maybe you saw them empty because you were watching the second half and most people had left because the game had been decided and they were freezing so they left. The least of UNI's worries should be intimidation by the crowd, maybe intimidation by the cold or intimidation by Santos or Ball or even Derek Stank but the crowd should be the last of any players worry. The simple fact is UNI will need an outstanding performance to take out UNH from traveling to dealing with the cold to stopping Santos and Ball UNI has a lot to worry about..

Granite
November 27th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Not sure which bleachers you saw on TV, but ESPN2 was shooting toward the visitor's side which only seats about 1500. The home side of Cowell Stadium was full, plus SRO and endzone seating - there were definitely more fans then the announced 7800 and my guess is that there was more than the 8600+ that were there for the Maine game. From where I sat in the stadium, there was definitely a nice crowd yesterday.

Ultimately, I expect this to be a good game, and a fun offensive show. The UNH offense is prolific, and the defense does just enough to give the offense room to control the game. Our D doesn't worry me.

dwtime
November 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Who doesn't think it will be a close game? I'm a UNH fan and I think it will be a toss up at best just like the UNI EWU game. Maybe a small advantage for UNH because its not at UNI and its not on a And do not underestimate the UNH crowd in a tight game with alot at stake that crowd will be loud, we have alot of practice with UNH hockey! :hurray:

PantherMan
November 27th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Who doesn't think it will be a close game? I'm a UNH fan and I think it will be a toss up at best just like the UNI EWU game. Maybe a small advantage for UNH because its not at UNI and its not on a And do not underestimate the UNH crowd in a tight game with alot at stake that crowd will be loud, we have alot of practice with UNH hockey! :hurray:

Most of your fellow UNH fans along with A10 fans think this game will be a cupcake for New Hampshire. I only hope the players and coaches feel the same way... Nice to see some reason from a UNH fan, hasn't been a lot of that in this thread. I too give a slight advantage to UNH being that they are at home. If this game was in the Dome, there is no doubt in my mind that UNI would win. On the road in the playoffs, UNI has struggled in the past. Looking forward to a great game, too bad it won't be nationally televised...

unifight
November 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM
59-28 seems a little much. i watched 85% of the game Saturday and Colgate is not anywhere near the same offense or defense as us.

I hope to be in Durham Saturday, so no snow please.

PantherMan
November 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM
59-28 seems a little much. i watched 85% of the game Saturday and Colgate is not anywhere near the same offense or defense as us.

I hope to be in Durham Saturday, so no snow please.

I won't guarantee victory, but I will guarantee that UNH does not put 50 on the board.

dwtime
November 27th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Most of your fellow UNH fans along with A10 fans think this game will be a cupcake for New Hampshire. I only hope the players and coaches feel the same way... Nice to see some reason from a UNH fan, hasn't been a lot of that in this thread. I too give a slight advantage to UNH being that they are at home. If this game was in the Dome, there is no doubt in my mind that UNI would win. On the road in the playoffs, UNI has struggled in the past. Looking forward to a great game, too bad it won't be nationally televised...

We'll not all UNH fans are semi-dillusional like UNHknowledge and UNHwildcats. Guys I think you have been spending too much time with umassfan! :rolleyes:

Final 8 games can be close or blowouts but its not so much who is more talented than who as who gets the breaks and the momentum. I truly believe that Montana and UNH were pretty even teams last year but the Griz got the early break in the game and then got the momentum which they rode to a big win. Hopefully it will be a different story in the 2nd round this year, we have David Ball playing! :hurray:

UNHknowledge
November 27th, 2005, 03:47 PM
We'll not all UNH fans are semi-dillusional like UNHknowledge and UNHwildcats. Guys I think you have been spending too much time with umassfan! :rolleyes:

Final 8 games can be close or blowouts but its not so much who is more talented than who as who gets the breaks and the momentum. I truly believe that Montana and UNH were pretty even teams last year but the Griz got the early break in the game and then got the momentum which they rode to a big win. Hopefully it will be a different story in the 2nd round this year, we have David Ball playing! :hurray:

dwtime,
Find me one dillusional thing I've said. rcny46 is the only dilllusional fan UNH has because he hasn't realized we are 11-1 yet. But if you find me something dillusional then I will try to explain myself to you.

crunifan
November 27th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I think UNH fans need to understand why UNI fans are getting upset. In the past 5 weeks, UNI has beaten the then #11, #6, #4, and last night the #15 teams in the country and still have gained little respect. And here come the UNH fans saying they will demolish them by at least 30 points. That is showing disrespect to UNI. They are a excellent team that can beat any I-AA on a given day, give them the respect they have earned!

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I think UNH fans need to understand why UNI fans are getting upset. In the past 5 weeks, UNI has beaten the then #11, #6, #4, and last night the #15 teams in the country and still have gained little respect. And here come the UNH fans saying they will demolish them by at least 30 points. That is showing disrespect to UNI. They are a excellent team that can beat any I-AA on a given day, give them the respect they have earned!

respect wont determine the outcome of a game. I can respect UNI as much as possible but that doesnt change the likilihood of UNH winning thios game big.

while on the topic of respect how bout some respect for Santos and Ball!

crunifan
November 27th, 2005, 04:28 PM
And you just displayed another reason why UNI fans have a right to be irritated. Your arrogance. Most of you UNH fans are viewing this a sure win, just as easy as Colgate. Well you are wrong. This with be a close game just like the EWU game. This is your first real test as the number one team after regaining the top spot on week 11. And remember...this year has not been kind to the number one team. :p

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM
And you just displayed another reason why UNI fans have a right to be irritated. Your arrogance. Most of you UNH fans are viewing this a sure win, just as easy as Colgate. Well you are wrong. This with be a close game just like the EWU game. This is your first real test as the number one team after regaining the top spot on week 11. And remember...this year has not been kind to the number one team. :p

OK if the game is close i will appologize with a personal message to every single UNI fan on AGS, but tell me, IF UNH blows out UNI will you and the rest of you UNI fans give UNH the respect they deserve as the best team in the country this year?

UNHknowledge
November 27th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Why are you using UNHWildcats as ALL UNH fans...I have not said once this game will be a cake walk. We're talking about quarterfinals here...every game is gonna be a war.

P.S. UNHWildcats has made some outragiously bold predictions and I haven't agreed with a lot of them but...I don't think he has been wrong once. Lets just keep it rolling. Go Cats!

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Why are you using UNHWildcats as ALL UNH fans...I have not said once this game will be a cake walk. We're talking about quarterfinals here...every game is gonna be a war.

P.S. UNHWildcats has made some outragiously bold predictions and I haven't agreed with a lot of them but...I don't think he has been wrong once. Lets just keep it rolling. Go Cats!

I was wrong last year when I picked Kerry of Bush :mad:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 27th, 2005, 04:46 PM

One thing that I can flat out guarantee is that the players and coaches will not be looking at UNI as a cupcake!! Coach Mac and Company will not allow it.

Other than Iona, I haven't looked at any opponent as a cupcake or a sure win. I didn't think Colgate was going to be such an easy win nor did I think Villanova, Towson, Northeastern, Dartmouth or Rhode Island would be either. This UNH fan knows that Northern Iowa is a quality opponent.

wildcat_fan
November 28th, 2005, 09:56 AM

First of all, the bleachers they were showing on ESPN2 most of the game were on the Colgate side. When they showed a wide shot of the UNH bleachers, it was late in the 4th quarter when the outcome had already been decided. It was damned cold in Durham last Saturday and a lot of fans left early given that the outcome of the game was not in doubt. ESPN purposely did not show a lot of wide shots of Cowell Stadium because it is so small. What we lack in size, we make up for in volume!

bcrawf
November 28th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Our guys are used to Playing at Places like YSU, WKU, Iowa and Iowa St. believe me noise will not be a factor!! :nod:

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Alright, alright............everyone take a deep breath. Far be it from Cap'n Cat to insist on decorum, but let's "discuss" the game, OK?

UNH stadium? They win there. In the playoffs, you could play on Mars, but you still gotta win (hint: YSU).

Two good teams that will challenge each other greatly. Super game anticipated.

Now, be nice. Act like we're all from north of Memphis, huh?

:nod: :nod: :nod:

crunifan
November 28th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Our guys are used to Playing at Places like YSU, WKU, Iowa and Iowa St. believe me noise will not be a factor!! :nod:

You forgot the loudest of them all...the UNI-Dome :p

bcrawf
November 28th, 2005, 02:31 PM
But you forget, it is so nice and quiet in there when our offense is on the field

crunifan
November 28th, 2005, 03:46 PM
But you forget, it is so nice and quiet in there when our offense is on the field

Yes, I did forget that. Gosh, we are such polite fans to our Panthers. :p