PDA

View Full Version : Cal State Fullerton trying to revive program

FullertonTitanTexan44
March 27th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hello everyone,

I couldn't find any conversation about this, but Cal State Fullerton is trying to bring back football at the FCS level.

We used to play football until 1992 when the program started running at a defecit when Title IX and CAL-NOW proved to be too expensive to comply with. We have a history of good players and coaches that came out of our program (ie Mike Pringle, Damon Allen, Mark Collins, Steve Maurrioci and Raider Coach Tom Cable).

Unlike other schools trying to start up a program, we have a functional 10,000 Stadium that is used for soccer and high school football games http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

Currently, we are in the studying phase of bringing back football. If the right pieces fall into place, we could be looking at some substantial progress within the next 2 years (ie referendum vote).

We have a website www.bringbacktitanfootball.com that gives info on our latest progress.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 27th, 2009, 11:54 AM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

That would be awesome! Where would you play, the Great West Football Conference with Poly and Davis?

And I REALLY dig the Elephant helmet!

http://www.bringbacktitanfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/csuf_concept_helmets.jpg

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I couldn't find any conversation about this, but Cal State Fullerton is trying to bring back football at the FCS level.

We used to play football until 1992 when the program started running at a defecit when Title IX and CAL-NOW proved to be too expensive to comply with. We have a history of good players and coaches that came out of our program (ie Mike Pringle, Damon Allen, Mark Collins, Steve Maurrioci and Raider Coach Tom Cable).

Unlike other schools trying to start up a program, we have a functional 10,000 Stadium that is used for soccer and high school football games http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

Currently, we are in the studying phase of bringing back football. If the right pieces fall into place, we could be looking at some substantial progress within the next 2 years (ie referendum vote).

We have a website www.bringbacktitanfootball.com that gives info on our latest progress.

Good luck-- we desperatly need some more solid FCS programs out West. I cant believe (well I can) all these large Cali schools have turned their backs on FB.

MplsBison
March 27th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Fullerton may be the only school I know of that actually hangs its athletics hat on baseball.

Maybe they could parlay some of that CWS fame into football?

FullertonTitanTexan44
March 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

That would be awesome! Where would you play, the Great West Football Conference with Poly and Davis?

And I REALLY dig the Elephant helmet!

http://www.bringbacktitanfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/csuf_concept_helmets.jpg

Alot can happen if we bring back football. Officially, our reasoning would be to play football only in the GWC.

Unofficially (my personal opinion), I believe if we bring back our program we will initiate a tidal wave of football programs in CA reviving their programs. Long Beach State has a similar movement (website, facebook group, and enough petition signatures to get a referendum vote), Pacific and UC- Santa Barbara wouldn't want to be left out of the fun and have adequate FCS stadiums to host football. The Big West might sponsor football again if another school joins Fullerton. Sacramento State seems like a good Big West fit so they might come over.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hope Cal State Fullerton does add football. As noted elsewhere, we need more teams in the FCS West and they'd be a great fit in the Great West Football Conference. Would help that conference have stability, already have some built-in rivalries and get the league closer to a playoff AQ.

Fullerton may be the only school I know of that actually hangs its athletics hat on baseball.

There's others - Rice, New Orleans.

GeauxLions94
March 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hope Cal State Fullerton does add football. As noted elsewhere, we need more teams in the FCS West and they'd be a great fit in the Great West Football Conference. Would help that conference have stability, already have some built-in rivalries and get the league closer to a playoff AQ.

There's others - Rice, New Orleans.

You forgot Tulane, UCF ... would be nice to see Fullerton and some of the other Cali schools revive football. Any possibility of some of the Cali D-II's moving up?

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
You forgot Tulane, UCF ... would be nice to see Fullerton and some of the other Cali schools revive football. Any possibility of some of the Cali D-II's moving up?

Just was thinking off the top of my head...and Tulane, well - that's not a baseball program to be proud of, unless you were interested in selling socks. xnodx

Where's CS-Northridge in restoring football? And CS-Bakersfield is making the move, are they discussing the pigskin?

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2009, 02:35 PM

What Cali D-II's ? Humbolt State is the only D-II footbal playing school in Cali.

FullertonTitanTexan44
March 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM
CSUN (Northridge) hasn't shown any interests in reviving their program. I think they have a bigger need in getting a better bball facility.

CSUB (Bakersfield) is still growing and working on their current athletic's programs. I don't think they will start talk about football for another 5-10 years.

Fullerton and Long Beach State are the only schools who are active in trying to revive their programs. Both have active students, alumni and adminstrators that are working towards the goal, both have petitions and facebook groups. Long Beach, however, just suffered a blow when the students didn't pass a non-football referendum that involved improving the overall athletic department. Since that didn't pass, its hard to believe a football referendum would pass right now.

Long Beach's site is www.bringback49erfootball.com

Other schools who are/were looking into football is Santa Clara University www.letthemplay.com and UC San Diego (division 2) www.gotritons.com

I know i'm biased, but i believe Fullerton has the better chance to bring back football. And when it does, it will be the perfect example to the other CA schools of how to do so.

MplsBison
March 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I would think Pacific, as well.

And UC San Diego should be at least at Davis's level of athletics...their academics are at the UCLA level and way higher than San Diego State.

Maybe Long Beach students wanted to see football included in the referendum? Probably wishful thinking.

FullertonTitanTexan44
March 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I would think Pacific, as well.

And UC San Diego should be at least at Davis's level of athletics...their academics are at the UCLA level and way higher than San Diego State.

Maybe Long Beach students wanted to see football included in the referendum? Probably wishful thinking.

Long Beach marketing was HORRIBLE. They alienated EVERYONE.
1. Called it a 'legacy' referendum- meaning that this vote would make their degrees mean something.. The problem with that is students already love their school, football is just the topping. So you insult people who might support football by saying their degrees mean nothing.
2. They made the voting available to everyone - everywhere. The problem is the school is a commuter campus. More than 50% of the 37k students that attend do not have an active student life on campus nor do they care. When they made the voting online, it gives the 'i'm only at LBSU b/c my company requires a degree' students more power than the ones who actually are on campus for more than academics.
3. They made a point to put some of the voting machines in their arena. This caused some people to feel it was very 'biased' and vote negative just on that.
4. The night before the vote, they got very aggressive and knocked on the doors of the dorms at a late night thus pissing off students who were asleep or studyin.

Pacific and UC Santa Barbara both have adequate stadiums AND history to bring back their programs. I think they'll be in when they see another school do it. Both schools have students who will not appreciate Fullerton trying to 'one up' them in sports.

Ronbo
March 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Santa Clara also has a revive football campaign. Bigtime history of great football.

http://www.letthemplay.com/

http://www.letthemplay.com/history.htm

Redwyn
March 28th, 2009, 05:14 PM
What an incredible history for Santa Clara. Would be great to see such a storied program return to the College Football ranks.

On a similar note, what a comprehensive website. Really detailed, even with game by game results!

Ronbo
March 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I really think if Fullerton and Santa Clara came on board UOP wouldn't be far behind. They too have a good football history and 30,000 seat Tiger Stadium.

http://www.netitor.com/photos/schools/paci/galleries/Facilities/stagg-lg.jpg

MplsBison
March 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
They can always play in the Great West...Poly and Davis would love that.

Ronbo
March 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I found this article. Pacific is indeed considering football again.

"The return of a football program to Pacific University is in the planning stages and could become a reality," said Pacific President Phil Creighton. "First we have to make sure there is the substantial financial support available for the program's needs. Then, in spite of Pacific's long and respected history of football, we will need to rebuild the program from the ground up. If we decide to go forward, it could mean an added benefit for students and the University, which would be exciting for the campus, alumni, and the community."

http://www.pacificu.edu/magazine/2007/spring/football.cfm

FullertonTitanTexan44
March 28th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Nothing has been physically done at Pacific. No student groups or anything.

However, they recently got a new university president. I was at the Pacific boards and they were mentioning the possibility of getting in her ear and getting it started.

FullertonTitanTexan44
March 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
UC Santa Barbara is another school that would be a great candidate to bring back football once another school or two brings their program back. They already have a stadium and history.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/california/santa_barbara_harder.jpg

Ronbo
March 28th, 2009, 09:03 PM
The Great West Football Conference would look pretty California.

Cal State Fullerton (possible)
Cal Poly
UC Davis
Pacific (possible)
Santa Calra (possible)
Santa Barbara (possible)
Long Beach State (possible)
Southern Utah
North Dakota (temporary members I'll wager, like the Dakota States)
South Dakota

Sac. State, Portland State, San Diego, and Northern Arizona as close OOC games. San Jose State, Nevada, San Diego State, and Fresno State close as mid major I-A games.

coover
March 29th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Let's get going, Fullerton. As a Southern California resident, usually, the closest Poly game to me is at San Luis Obispo, about 300 miles from my home. Fullerton is only 60 or 70 miles and I'll be there. Heck, I traveled today all the way down to UCI, about 100 miles, to watch Poly play Baseball, passing Fullerton on the way.

I used to live about 5 minutes from the Fullerton campus, even took some classes there, and I think it would be a great place to play football, and should be an easy place to recruit So Cal athletes. I think Fullerton could be very successful and would be a tough opponent for Poly.

Hope you get your team.

laxVik
March 29th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I found this article. Pacific is indeed considering football again.

"The return of a football program to Pacific University is in the planning stages and could become a reality," said Pacific President Phil Creighton. "First we have to make sure there is the substantial financial support available for the program's needs. Then, in spite of Pacific's long and respected history of football, we will need to rebuild the program from the ground up. If we decide to go forward, it could mean an added benefit for students and the University, which would be exciting for the campus, alumni, and the community."

http://www.pacificu.edu/magazine/2007/spring/football.cfmThat's UOP in Oregon, not Cali. If football came back it'd most likely be D3.

GeauxLions94
March 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
What Cali D-II's ? Humbolt State is the only D-II footbal playing school in Cali.

Sorry, thought there were more besides Humboldt xoopsx

Mr. C
March 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Couple of clarifications: Pacific Univeristy and University of the Pacific are two different institutions. UOP is the one in Stockton, CA. UOP has had some discussions about reviving football in the past few years. It would be likely that someone like Sugar Daddy Alex Spanos, who has already built a basketball arena for UOP and helped with the renovations of Cal Poly's football stadium might show a philanthrophic interest in UOP football. UOP would almost certainly end up in the Great West for football.

UC Santa Barbara killed off it revived program in the early 1990s. The Gauchos would have ZERO interest in reviving it a second time. UCSB brought back football as a non-scholarship sport when its was revived in the 1980s and the Dayton rule pretty much killed things there. UCSB has been more interested in basketball, baseball and men's volleyball than football in the past few decades.

oldSLOguy
March 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Couple of clarifications: Pacific Univeristy and University of the Pacific are two different institutions. UOP is the one in Stockton, CA. UOP has had some discussions about reviving football in the past few years. It would be likely that someone like Sugar Daddy Alex Spanos, who has already built a basketball arena for UOP and helped with the renovations of Cal Poly's football stadium might show a philanthrophic interest in UOP football. UOP would almost certainly end up in the Great West for football.

UC Santa Barbara killed off it revived program in the early 1990s. The Gauchos would have ZERO interest in reviving it a second time. UCSB brought back football as a non-scholarship sport when its was revived in the 1980s and the Dayton rule pretty much killed things there. UCSB has been more interested in basketball, baseball and men's volleyball than football in the past few decades.

What is the "Dayton rule"?

MplsBison
March 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
DI bball schools have to play DI football if they have a varsity team.

FullertonTitanTexan44
March 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
The problem that we are seeing is the 'generation' difference between the students and admins. I don't mean in physical age, but when you retain a university president from the early 90s where football wasn't as popular and seen as money pit, it conflicts with TODAYS students who may want to pay extra money to have a program on campus. Alot of these presidents are retiring soon so we may see some changes in the near future.

Back to the hypothethical, if Fullerton, UCSB, UOP, LBSU all brought back their programs, then the Big West would responsor it.

The Big West would probably be like this..
CSUF
UCSB
Long Beach
Cal Poly
Davis
UOP
Sacramento State (taken from the Big Sky)
Univ of San Diego (will find that it would be much cheaper to fund scholarships and play local teams than to fly across the country for conference play)

oldSLOguy
March 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM

DI bball schools have to play DI football if they have a varsity team.

So, why couldn’t UCSB just do the same thing as the non-scollie DI’s like the Patriot?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 30th, 2009, 08:33 AM
So, why couldn’t UCSB just do the same thing as the non-scollie DI’s like the Patriot?

USD and UCSB as travel partners in the Pioneer? Nah, probably wouldn't happen.

St. Mary's (CA) tried to play non-scholarship ball too, but ultimately folded in 2001, I think. They would have been a perfect fit for the Patriot League had they been East Coast.

Speaking of which, any rumblings about St. Mary's starting up football again?

MplsBison
March 30th, 2009, 08:36 AM

They could...San Diego does that now.

But per C..it doesn't sound good. You never know. They probably need a big donor to get things rolling.

Franks Tanks
March 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM

The PL really isnt non-scholly, and certainly isnt cost containment.

401ks
March 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
The PL really isnt non-scholly...

From personal experience, I have to say that for a student-athlete from a family that earns just a little more than a "Middle Class" income, the PL is definitely non-(football)scholarship.

Quote from a Patriot League coach: "Don't expect much money from us."

Franks Tanks
March 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM
From personal experience, I have to say that for a student-athlete from a family that earns just a little more than a "Middle Class" income, the PL is definitely non-(football)scholarship.

Quote from a Patriot League coach: "Don't expect much money from us."

This is the root of the issue. Of course to be middle class in So-Cal it appears a family must earn about 150k a year. A family income of 150k a year is among the top few % nationwide, but that is just making it in some parts.

oldSLOguy
March 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
USD and UCSB as travel partners in the Pioneer? Nah, probably wouldn't happen.

St. Mary's (CA) tried to play non-scholarship ball too, but ultimately folded in 2001, I think. They would have been a perfect fit for the Patriot League had they been East Coast.

Speaking of which, any rumblings about St. Mary's starting up football again?

We live about 20 miles from St. Mary's, so their sports is covered very well in our local newspapers and I have seen nothing about reviving football. I think even if only one of the previously mentioned schools restarts football, everyone out here would be thrilled.

jmufan999
March 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM
the elephant helmet is badass.

FullertonTitanTexan44
March 31st, 2009, 11:31 AM
We've explored the possibility of having a NS football team. But we realized that it would still cost a good amount to play football with travel costs, and general operations etc.

Also, in California, we have to comply with CAL-NOW which makes us give the same amount of 'opportunites' to women as there are for men. So even if we manipulate the scholarship structure to be financially feasibile, we have to find a place for 70-80 new female athletes.

MplsBison
March 31st, 2009, 11:57 AM
We've explored the possibility of having a NS football team. But we realized that it would still cost a good amount to play football with travel costs, and general operations etc.

Also, in California, we have to comply with CAL-NOW which makes us give the same amount of 'opportunites' to women as there are for men. So even if we manipulate the scholarship structure to be financially feasibile, we have to find a place for 70-80 new female athletes.

Or get rid of 80 male opportunities.

coover
April 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM

57 to be exact if you compete in DI FCS. Take a look at the sports played at Cal Poly (or Davis, or Sacramento State). They play football under CAL-NOW. It can't be too hard to comply!

Checking the Poly Athletics webpage, I see Women playing Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Indoor Track, Soccer, Softball, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field and Volleyball, while the Men play Baseball, Basketball (barely), Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, and Wrestling.

Are there major differences between sports offerings at the two schools (other than football)?

slostang
April 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
57 to be exact if you compete in DI FCS. Take a look at the sports played at Cal Poly (or Davis, or Sacramento State). They play football under CAL-NOW. It can't be too hard to comply!

Checking the Poly Athletics webpage, I see Women playing Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Indoor Track, Soccer, Softball, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field and Volleyball, while the Men play Baseball, Basketball (barely), Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, and Wrestling.

Are there major differences between sports offerings at the two schools (other than football)?

It is also based on the male to female ratio at the school. Cal Poly has the advantage of having a higher male population which helps. I am not sure about Fullerton.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
It is also based on the male to female ratio at the school. Cal Poly has the advantage of having a higher male population which helps. I am not sure about Fullerton.

I think it is close to 60% female at Fullerton. CALNOW gives a 5% flexibility so if we bring in 60 football players we would have to bring in around 70 new female athletes.

The only male program Fullerton can cut is wrestling. But we are not looking to take away a sport to add football. We believe we can do it without losing any programs (academically or athletically)

Has anyone been to the website? What do you think? What do you think we can do to be better in our efforts?

malibudude
April 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
This is the root of the issue. Of course to be middle class in So-Cal it appears a family must earn about 150k a year. A family income of 150k a year is among the top few % nationwide, but that is just making it in some parts.

Now if someone could relay that message to Congress we would be much obliged!xrolleyesx

poly51
April 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM

Why doesn't Cheer Squad and Dance Team count as female athletics?

slostang
April 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Why doesn't Cheer Squad and Dance Team count as female athletics?

I think that they might if they are on scholarship. Most are not.

Green Cookie Monster
April 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Same for band.

poly51
April 4th, 2009, 12:42 PM
UC Santa Barbara Football. I just found this on Cal State Fullerton Football website.

http://ucsbfootball.com/

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I wonder what they are going to do with that site.

TwinTownBisonFan
April 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I was out lecturing at Fullerton in November and talked to two professors about it. They seem to think it's highly unlikely. Though they think Fullerton would go, if they had a partner.

Their comment was in part that Fullerton isn't really a "close knit" campus... thousands of students and it's a ghost town on weekends. However, they noted that UC Bakersfield is moving up (in other sports), and would be a decent fit... they also mentioned UC Riverside as a school with a 10,000 seat stadium.

However, finding out how to make it work with Title IX, and not lose their beloved baseball program was clearly on the minds of these two profs. (why be an FCS school that will struggle to get going, when we are a national force in baseball?)... and yes... i agree they don't have to be mutually exclusive...

The administration didn't seem to hot on the idea, and the only real takeaway from my time on campus was that it was a hot idea among alumni, and that was about it.

Native
April 4th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Good luck-- we desperatly need some more solid FCS programs out West. I cant believe (well I can) all these large Cali schools have turned their backs on FB.

A comparison of the state of Mississippi and San Diego county attests to the lack of local DI football opportunities for southern California athletes.

There are THREE TIMES the opportunities per capita to play DI football in Mississippi compared to San Diego county:

Mississippi, with a population of about 3 million, has SIX DI football programs:
Alcorn State (FCS)
Jackson State (FCS)
Mississippi State (FBS)
Mississippi Valley State (FCS)
Southern Mississippi (FBS)
University of Mississippi (FBS)

San Diego county, with a population of about 3 million, has TWO DI football programs:
San Diego State (FBS)
University of San Diego (FCS)

Franks Tanks
April 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM
A comparison of the state of Mississippi and San Diego county attests to the lack of local DI football opportunities for southern California athletes.

There are THREE TIMES the opportunities per capita to play DI football in Mississippi compared to San Diego county:

Mississippi, with a population of about 3 million, has SIX DI football programs:
Alcorn State (FCS)
Jackson State (FCS)
Mississippi State (FBS)

San Diego county, with a population of about 3 million, has TWO DI football programs:
San Diego State (FBS)

Its rather sad. Lousiana probably has even more D-I opps per capita than even Miss.

Hansel
April 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Alcorn State (FCS)
Jackson State (FCS)
Mississippi State (FBS)

San Diego State (FBS)

Minnesota (6 mil?) only has one DI football program

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I was out lecturing at Fullerton in November and talked to two professors about it. They seem to think it's highly unlikely. Though they think Fullerton would go, if they had a partner.

Their comment was in part that Fullerton isn't really a "close knit" campus... thousands of students and it's a ghost town on weekends. However, they noted that UC Bakersfield is moving up (in other sports), and would be a decent fit... they also mentioned UC Riverside as a school with a 10,000 seat stadium.

However, finding out how to make it work with Title IX, and not lose their beloved baseball program was clearly on the minds of these two profs. (why be an FCS school that will struggle to get going, when we are a national force in baseball?)... and yes... i agree they don't have to be mutually exclusive...

The administration didn't seem to hot on the idea, and the only real takeaway from my time on campus was that it was a hot idea among alumni, and that was about it.

This is a glass half full/empty argument that we've had for many years now. I think I know which professors because they have said the same to me.

Fullerton has 37,000 students. It's amazing to have so many 'consumers' yet to be on a tight budget. The school has an influx of commuters and people who are unattached to the school (like you said). However, the school has made big steps in adding student housing. Very soon, we'll have nearly 15% of the student body living on campus. Compared to 10 years ago when we had 0%. There is a rise in student attention to campus. Our bball attendance improved by 45% which lead to the administration reserving 2 extra sections of our gym for our students. There are more student support groups (Orange Curtain, Titan Tusk Force). And if you go to our website www.bringbacktitanfootball.com, you'll see a video of the students cheering for football to come back.

We have explored many options of being compliant to CAL-NOW and Title IX. Most options are feasible. Our plans of adding football also includes strengthing ALL athletic programs including baseball. Most of the alumni supporting football are just as supportive or more in baseball. We will NEVER weaken baseball for football.

Having so many students enrolled yet be on a tight budget doesnt make sense. The school needs to find a way to have students spend more time on campus and spend money on small items. Football can help.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Guys, the major reason why some states have more football teams than a california county is because of CAL-NOW. We have to have just as many or more female students playing sports in ratio to male students.

In other words, states like Mississippi can put 3 football players on partial scholarships equalling 1 full scholarship. Then they can give 1 full scholarship to a female athlete to balance it out. So in theory, a football team can equal a woman's soccer team. But in CA, if we have 65 male athletes, then we need to bring in 65 female athletes (if we are 50/50 ratio).. In Fullerton's case, we are closer to 60 women/40 men.

89Hen
April 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
In other words, states like Mississippi can put 3 football players on partial scholarships equalling 1 full scholarship. Then they can give 1 full scholarship to a female athlete to balance it out.
Is anyone besides the Patriot and Ivy giving partials in DI? xeyebrowx

danefan
April 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Is anyone besides the Patriot and Ivy giving partials in DI? xeyebrowx

I would be willing to be that every FCS school gives partials.

Ivy isn't giving anything....according to the NCAA.

SactoHornetFan
April 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I for one would love to see Fullerton bring back football. However, I don't think we would go to the Big West if more schools there brought it back.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
It's more feasible for Sac State to go the Big West.. Especially with the ultimate goal for there to be an all-California conference

Green Laser
April 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
It's more feasible for Sac State to go the Big West.. Especially with the ultimate goal for there to be an all-California conference

It is not feasible for Sac State to consider the Big West unless Fullerton and at least one more Big West school actually bring back football. Scheduling in the Great West is a nightmare do to lack of teams, I wouldn't want to see the Hornets in that mess.

Green Cookie Monster
April 12th, 2009, 10:43 PM
It would be nice to see Fullerton get a team. According to http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/Index.aspx Fullerton would would need to add $3-4M to the overall athletics budget. A $40 student football fee would give you that amount.

The last year you had a team, Sac won 29-3 in your brand new stadium. Sac was DII at the time and Fullerton was IA. xwhistlex

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 13th, 2009, 06:01 PM
How is the Big Sky in baseball? What would be the chances of CSUF going into the BS?

slostang
April 13th, 2009, 08:13 PM
How is the Big Sky in baseball? What would be the chances of CSUF going into the BS?

The Big Sky does not sponsor baseball. Sac State plays baseball in the WAC.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Then Fullerton will never go to the Big Sky lol.

SactoHornetFan
April 14th, 2009, 10:03 AM
The Big Sky does not sponsor baseball. Sac State plays baseball in the WAC.

As well as gymnastics. And that's where eventually I think our president wants us to be in (as well as me :) )

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
It is not feasible for Sac State to consider the Big West unless Fullerton and at least one more Big West school actually bring back football. Scheduling in the Great West is a nightmare do to lack of teams, I wouldn't want to see the Hornets in that mess.

What if Cal State-Northridge were that school? Wouldn't that be just too good to pass up?

Great West Football would be:

CSUF
CSUN
Sac State
UC-Davis
Cal Poly
Southern Utah
UND*
USD*

* jump to MVFC at earliest opportunity

In addition, six teams would mean a chance at an autobid (even if, as expected, UND and USD jump).

Green Cookie Monster
April 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Won't happen, the president is a tree hugger, I hate football and want a Performinf Arts Center instead of athletic facilities kind of person.

Nothingridge will never play varsity football again. That is too bad.

Green Laser
April 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
What if Cal State-Northridge were that school? Wouldn't that be just too good to pass up?

Great West Football would be:

CSUF
CSUN
Sac State
UC-Davis
Cal Poly
Southern Utah
UND*
USD*

* jump to MVFC at earliest opportunity

In addition, six teams would mean a chance at an autobid (even if, as expected, UND and USD jump).

I would love to see Fullerton and Northridge bring back their football programs.
It would also be great to get Pacific to come back. If Sac State would ever go to a Big West/ Great West alignment I would imagine that Southern Utah would be interested in taking our place in the Big Sky. I agree that UND and USD are in the Great West short term until a better fit becomes available. If everything was to fall into place how about this alignment ?

Big Sky
Eastern Washington
Montana
Montana State
Idaho State
Weber State
Southern Utah
USD
UND
Central Washington (from DII) or Utah Valley State

Big West/ Great West
Northridge
Fullerton
Cal Poly
Pacific
Sac State
Davis
Portland State
Northern Arizona

Big Sky would be schools in the Rockies or Plains, Big West/Great West would be schools located in the Pacific Coast States along with NAU which has a lot of connections to California.
This would provide a lot of balance for the western FCS schools, make scheduling easier, and increase regional interest.

coover
April 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Fullerton would not like to be in the Big Sky!. Can you imagine traveling over a thousand miles to almost every away game? Here is a list of the schools ...

Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Weber State (Utah)

Now consider the present Big West ...

Pacific
U Cal Davis
Cal Poly (SLO)
U Cal Mud Flats er.. Santa Barbara (Sorry, mud flats!)
CS Northridge
CS Long Beach
CS Fullerton
U Cal Irvine
U Cal Riverside

Four of the schools are a fairly short drive, and the others are 100 - 450 miles away. The farthest school is no further than the only California School in the Big Sky (and, in fact, the only reason CS Sacramento is not in the Big West is football. If they had a choice to be in the same conference as UCD and Pacific, they'd jump at the chance. The Big West would be much cheaper to compete within because of travel costs. If there is a Big West Football Conference, they'll be in it!

JohnStOnge
April 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Santa Clara also has a revive football campaign. Bigtime history of great football.

I want to see UC Santa Cruz start a football program. I want to see a "Banana Slugs" football helmet.

http://www.alumni.ucsc.edu/img/bluegoldblack400.jpg

Ronbo
April 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Football at The Peoples University at Santa Cruz is played with a round ball and you can't use your hands. They would never support football because it would take away money from more important programs like Guatamalan basket weaving and Native American Indian art history.

When you see a real Banana Slug in person though they are fantastic. They are huge, the size of a large banana and bright yellow. They love the deep cool shady coastal redwood forests. It's very primeval to see them in their natural setting, you could almost imagine a Veloca Raptor jumping out from behind a tree around the next bend.

http://meanderthal.typepad.com/dope/images/banana_slug.jpg

Cobblestone
April 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Best wishes with this. I hope you are successful.

WestCoastAggie
April 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Good luck Fullerton. You all can definitely do it. On a side note, with these schools considering football again, the pipeline that some schools have into California will dry up a lil bit.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 20th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Good luck Fullerton. You all can definitely do it. On a side note, with these schools considering football again, the pipeline that some schools have into California will dry up a lil bit.

Thank you!

We are planning on turning the tap off on some of these out of state schools. haha

TexasTerror
May 30th, 2009, 10:20 AM
How are they going to add football if the students rejected a fee increase?

Since March, students at three California universities — Sacramento State, Long Beach State and Cal State Fullerton — have also voted down fee increases to help pay for athletics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/30/sports/30colleges.html?_r=2&ref=sports

Smendy
May 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Fullerton's last NFL prospect, before dropping football, was long time Major League player Phil Nevin. He was, I think, considered a fringe NFL prospect as a place kicker/punter, but was the first pick overall in baseball's draft, so he obviously ditched football.

That's the extent of my knowledge on CSFU football....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3260

FullertonTitanTexan44
June 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
How are they going to add football if the students rejected a fee increase?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/30/sports/30colleges.html?_r=2&ref=sports

There were certain factors and tactics that lead to a 'no vote'.. We lost by 27 votes. But we plan on revamping and re-doing another vote. Hopefully this time with football on the ballot. We have a pro-football student president and some new blood that have some good ideas.

Green Cookie Monster
June 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Presidents at the schools have the ability to override the student vote. Fresneck State did just that. So did SDSU a few years ago. With the billions being cut at California schools, it will need to be done at every school, not just the football playing campuses. If Fullerton wants to add football, they will need to tax the large student body as no state funds will be available.

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
When did Fullerton put up this link?

http://www.fullertontitans.com/ot/titan-football-history.html

That should make the people pushing football happy, to see the athletic department acknowledge the sport and they do have all those records, which means they had to spend some time restoring them.

bkrownd
June 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Minnesota (6 mil?) only has one DI football program

Wisconsin as well, but these states are overflowing with D2 and D3 programs.

TheBisonator
June 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Wisconsin as well, but these states are overflowing with D2 and D3 programs.

Yes, but Wisconsin technically has 4 DI schools: UW, Marquette, Milwaukee and Green Bay. Minnesota only has ONE DI program, Big Goldy.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Yes, but Wisconsin technically has 4 DI schools: UW, Marquette, Milwaukee and Green Bay. Minnesota only has ONE DI program, Big Goldy.

Doesn't NDSU act as a sort-of "state school" for Minnesota's overflow? I thought Minnesota residents can get in-state tuition to NDSU under certain circumstances. I'm not sure if it applies to UND, SDSU or USD.

Minnesota also benefits from that "D-III can have one D-I sport as long as it's not football" rule, as at least one D-III school carries D-I hockey. (I want to say Mankato State?) If D-I hockey schools were forced to become all D-I, you'd see more Minnesota schools there.

Odd that there's no private school in Minnesota with D-I aspirations, like Wisconsin has in Marquette.

CollegeSportsInfo
July 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Doesn't NDSU act as a sort-of "state school" for Minnesota's overflow? I thought Minnesota residents can get in-state tuition to NDSU under certain circumstances. I'm not sure if it applies to UND, SDSU or USD.

Minnesota also benefits from that "D-III can have one D-I sport as long as it's not football" rule, as at least one D-III school carries D-I hockey. (I want to say Mankato State?) If D-I hockey schools were forced to become all D-I, you'd see more Minnesota schools there.

Odd that there's no private school in Minnesota with D-I aspirations, like Wisconsin has in Marquette.

There are 5 Minnesota schools playing D1 hockey...all in the WCHA

bkrownd
July 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Doesn't NDSU act as a sort-of "state school" for Minnesota's overflow?

Minnesota has reciprocity agreements with several states, and vice versa. However, there's no shortage of colleges for people to go to in Minnesota. The UW system is also huge.

The University is the only large school in the state. UM-Duluth would be next, and I can't imagine them ever having D-1 football. The hockey schools (Duluth, Bemidji, Mankato, St. Cloud) are all modest D-2 publics.

They're all tiny, and very "liberal arts" oriented. I don't recall any reason to believe it would make sense for any of them culturally. There is no basketball money to lure them, either.

Model Citizen
July 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
No, USD doesn't do the same thing as the Patriot League.

St. Mary's had about 15 equivalencies when they folded. They were not non-scholarship. 'Just enough extra expense to get them in trouble.

It doesn't sound like they were in too deep, but a baby can drown in an inch of bathwater.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
The University is the only large school in the state. UM-Duluth would be next, and I can't imagine them ever having D-1 football. The hockey schools (Duluth, Bemidji, Mankato, St. Cloud) are all modest D-2 publics.

Isn't St. Cloud State a perennial D-II power in football? Not that they'd jump to D-I, but if there were ever any "Dayton rule" for lacrosse/hockey D-I schools, St. Cloud State would seem to be one of those schools. Not that would happen, but it's interesting to think about.

bkrownd
July 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Isn't St. Cloud State a perennial D-II power in football? Not that they'd jump to D-I, but if there were ever any "Dayton rule" for lacrosse/hockey D-I schools, St. Cloud State would seem to be one of those schools. Not that would happen, but it's interesting to think about.

Don't know about St. Cloud, but Duluth is the current D2 champion. These are solidly D2 schools, and they'd be fools to throw money down the drain on D1 football.

Big Al
July 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, in some ways it's a real shame that all of the Dakotas jumped to DI, because they really had a good thing going in MN, SD, & ND.

My boss' son is going to UM-Duluth and will be on the football team next year. It will be interesting to follow their season.

TheBisonator
July 1st, 2009, 08:12 PM

NDSU kind of acts as the U of Minnesota's "safety school".

BearsCountry
July 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM

Umm St. Cloud and Mankato are both over 14k in enrollment. I wouldnt call them modest little D2 publics.

TheBisonator
July 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Umm St. Cloud and Mankato are both over 14k in enrollment. I wouldnt call them modest little D2 publics.

The problem with those two schools is that most, if not a vast majority of students there are from the Twin Cities and drive back there every weekend. St. Cloud and Mankato are just 1 hour to 1:15 car trips from the TC. Kids there literally pack their suitcases, go to their dorms for the school week, and pack up and go back home for the weekends, leaving little to no attention from the student base (or alumni) towards their sports teams. Mankato in particular, a city of over 50,000 people (incl. North Mankato), can't even conjur up 4,000 people to watch a Minnesota State football game. Loyalties at those two schools tend to lie more with Goldy than their respective schools. Minnesota-Duluth does a little better as far as community attention goes, but that's mainly for hockey. St. Cloud also supports its hockey well, football and basketball, nope. Mankato supports hockey decently, but football and basketball, again, no one cares.

bkrownd
July 1st, 2009, 09:28 PM

Depends on your perspective. That's small fry in Big 10 land. When I went to U of M we had about 40,000, plus or minus. SCSU et al were not well regarded at all - just a step up from a community college. (UM-Duluth had a MUCH better reputation)

Getting back to the California angle, Pasadena City College claims 25000 students - are you gonna propose them for D-1? ;)

bandit
July 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
Since we're on the topic of Fullerton - - does anybody know if there is any chance of Pacific and Long Beach State reviving their programs?

And also - what about the prospects of Cal Poly, Sac State, UC Davis and Bakersfield making the move to FBS someday?