PDA

View Full Version : Did UNI gain your respect tonight?

Reed Rothchild
November 27th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Curious how the rest of I-AA feels about the Panthers....

youwouldno
November 27th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Right now the Panthers are playing very well... really UNI and UNH are pretty similar. I think to some extent Sanders and Santos are system QBs but both are obviously good players... UNI has a better rushing attack, which I like, but playing @UNH is tough for anyone.

November 27th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Heck yeah UNI got respect for beating EWU tonight.

W. DeMontague
November 27th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Yes and no.

Yes, cause they beat a very good team in Ewoo.

No, because it was at the dome and they always play hard and 9/10 times they win their home games.

So last night's win wasn't very surprising.

Respect comes from winning away from the 72 degree dome on the road in the playoffs.

Reed Rothchild
November 27th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Right now the Panthers are playing very well... really UNI and UNH are pretty similar. I think to some extent Sanders and Santos are system QBs but both are obviously good players... UNI has a better rushing attack, which I like, but playing @UNH is tough for anyone.

Sanders is not a system QB. Yes, our offensive coordinator knows how to call a game, but UNI qbs have put up great numbers over the last few years and Sanders is the only one I have seen that has been able to do what he does.

Pantherpower
November 27th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Maybe UNI will be the "I-AA Cover Boy Killers" :) 1 down with Meyer; Santos is next! ;)

November 27th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Maybe UNI will be the "I-AA Cover Boy Killers" :) 1 down with Meyer; Santos is next! ;)I'll be there to see it.

kalm
November 27th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Watching both the UNH/Colgate game and Texas St./GSU game today, the latter two teams were more similar to the level of athlete and football we see out west. I know that it was cold, and the field slippery, but UNH and Colgate looked inferior.

UNI's sophomore QB is nails, and this team came up with two defensive stops when it counted. They are very balanced, and after what I saw and listened to on saturday, I would be surprised to see them lose to New Hampshire next weekend.

Good luck Panthers!

umassfan
November 27th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Watching both the UNH/Colgate game and Texas St./GSU game today, the latter two teams were more similar to the level of athlete and football we see out west. I know that it was cold, and the field slippery, but UNH and Colgate looked inferior.

UNI's sophomore QB is nails, and this team came up with two defensive stops when it counted. They are very balanced, and after what I saw and listened to on saturday, I would be surprised to see them lose to New Hampshire next weekend.

Good luck Panthers!
So you are saying UNH, who scored at will and had a D shut down Colgate, looked inferior to two teams who played 0 defense and scored less points?

PantherMan
November 27th, 2005, 01:39 AM
So you are saying UNH, who scored at will and had a D shut down Colgate, looked inferior to two teams who played 0 defense and scored less points?

It was less about there being no D in our game, and more about both offenses being outstanding. Next week will probably be another shootout at New Hampshire. In the Dome, UNI would be around a 10 point favorite IMO. At UNH, things should be interesting. I'm looking forward to UNI FINALLY breaking the road curse in the playoffs...hopefully! :rolleyes:

Edit: And didn't Colgate score 3 TD's? That isn't completely shutting someone down. Colgate probably was closer to UNH, except for the fact that they got down early and made mistakes on O at the wrong times in the first half. UNH was clearly superior, but Colgate did not show up for this one.

mainejeff
November 27th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I hear that UNH looks much quicker in sunny 70's weather on turf in 15,000 seat stadiums........... :rolleyes:

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 02:23 AM
It was less about there being no D in our game, and more about both offenses being outstanding. Next week will probably be another shootout at New Hampshire. In the Dome, UNI would be around a 10 point favorite IMO. At UNH, things should be interesting. I'm looking forward to UNI FINALLY breaking the road curse in the playoffs...hopefully! :rolleyes:

Edit: And didn't Colgate score 3 TD's? That isn't completely shutting someone down. Colgate probably was closer to UNH, except for the fact that they got down early and made mistakes on O at the wrong times in the first half. UNH was clearly superior, but Colgate did not show up for this one.

the last touchdown came on a 80 yard run against the UNH backups, this game wasnt as close as it seemed. UNH easily coulda had another 4 touchdowns.

osbormd
November 27th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Given some of the scores and results to date, I've decided any team can be beat. It will certainly be a shootout next week. I can't wait to watch UNI-UNH and SIU-ASU games next week. I hope they are both televised.

I'm optimistic for a SIU and UNI win! I want to see a rematch for the Championship!

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM

I think the Texas State/GSU game was a much more evenly matched contest than UNH/Colgate. Both Texas State and GSU defenses were playing against better opponents than UNH was.

Don't get me wrong, I think UNH has some very impressive players and has a good shot at winning it all. I do not think they looked "inferior" to Texas State and GSU. But they did get one of the better draws in the first round. I know Colgate beat UMass but we know how that happened (8 turnovers). UMass outgained Colgate 451 to 194 in total yards.

I think the Patriot has shown in the past that it can compete but I don't think this was one of its better years.

Pantherpower
November 27th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I think the Texas State/GSU game was a much more evenly matched contest than UNH/Colgate. Both Texas State and GSU defenses were playing against better opponents than UNH was.

As usual John, I agree with you. Also agree that Patriot has proven it can compete. Big Sky got swept and Gateway was swept last year. Gateway turns around and goes 2-0 this year. Any given Saturday, any given year. :nod:

Umass74
November 27th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think UNH has some very impressive players and has a good shot at winning it all. I do not think they looked "inferior" to Texas State and GSU. But they did get one of the better draws in the first round. I know Colgate beat UMass but we know how that happened (8 turnovers). UMass outgained Colgate 451 to 194 in total yards.

John:

Don't send me to the Crapsville Bar early on a Sunday morning. I went to the UMass-Colgate game. The Colgate offense scored 3 points. The first down total was 27-9 UMass. We held them to 167 total yards (29 of that on a run by their punter)...That game kept us out of the playoffs.

I'm not saying we would have won the National Championship because our offense needs work, but I saw a couple of teams yesterday that UMass would have given a hard time.

Tubby Raymond
November 27th, 2005, 08:40 AM
John:

Don't send me to the Crapsville Bar early on a Sunday morning. I went to the UMass-Colgate game. The Colgate offense scored 3 points. The first down total was 27-9 UMass. We held them to 167 total yards (29 of that on a run by their punter)...That game kept us out of the playoffs.

I'm not saying we would have won the National Championship because our offense needs work, but I saw a couple of teams yesterday that UMass would have given a hard time.

You are delusional, the only team you could have beat from yesterday, you didn't. waa waa

UNH beats UNI, we have seen what happens to the dome/turf teams when they are met with inclement eather conditions and a physical defense.

As for the rest of the teams, Texas State looked for real to me although that QB of thiers takes some mighty big chances forcing the ball into tight spots. I was as surprised as anybody that GSU folded under the pressure, but I loved it, every second :hurray:

skinny_uncle
November 27th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Given some of the scores and results to date, I've decided any team can be beat. It will certainly be a shootout next week. I can't wait to watch UNI-UNH and SIU-ASU games next week. I hope they are both televised.

I'm optimistic for a SIU and UNI win! I want to see a rematch for the Championship!
I would love to see that rematch because it would be in Chattanooga and not in that DOME!
:D

Umass74
November 27th, 2005, 09:00 AM
You are delusional, the only team you could have beat from yesterday, you didn't

Ah, Tub old boy, we beat Richmond in the regular season remember?

catbob
November 27th, 2005, 11:32 AM
UNI has a good offense, but I hate dome teams. Hate.

dawg_fan
November 27th, 2005, 12:57 PM
UNI has a good offense, but I hate dome teams. Hate.

I agree with you. As good as they may be, I think that you would see a completely different product out there if they played all their games in the elements. I don't think the offense would be as smooth outside that dome for home games. Most certainly QB efficiency wouldn't be as high.

NC Aggie
November 27th, 2005, 04:24 PM
UNI did a good job last night, but I would put my money on New Hampshire especially since it is there. You guys stopped Meyer just enough - 3 time or so - to win it. I think next weeks game will be high scoring but UNH will come out on top.

Wow, your announcer needs to take his meds before he goes on the air. I thought I was going to puke every time he said "Oh Baby". Worse than Cal's Joe Starkey. He reminded me of a poor man's Dick Vitale (which ironically may mean he is more palatable).

Mountain Panther
November 27th, 2005, 05:01 PM
UNI did a good job last night, but I would put my money on New Hampshire especially since it is there. You guys stopped Meyer just enough - 3 time or so - to win it. I think next weeks game will be high scoring but UNH will come out on top.

Wow, your announcer needs to take his meds before he goes on the air. I thought I was going to puke every time he said "Oh Baby". Worse than Cal's Joe Starkey. He reminded me of a poor man's Dick Vitale (which ironically may mean he is more palatable).

You are of course speaking of the fabulous Gary Rima. His sidekick Scott Pederson is much more soft spoken. As a UNI fan you better believe that we love Rima. Hearing him say "Sanders under center" makes me salivate like Pavlov's dog.

crunifan
November 27th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Rima is an awesome announcer! If you have to listen to the radio, he does a damn good job of bringing the excitment to you.

nmatsen
November 27th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I agree with you. As good as they may be, I think that you would see a completely different product out there if they played all their games in the elements. I don't think the offense would be as smooth outside that dome for home games. Most certainly QB efficiency wouldn't be as high.

On the contrary...
Sanders has had a very productive season outside the friendly confines of the UNI Dome completing 74.5% of passes and throwing for 9 touchdowns, oh ya, 1 int (that went right through the hands of a reciever and into the hands of a d-back)

Chi Panther
November 27th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Northern Iowa 41, Eastern Washington 38
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa -- Brian Wingert kicked a 31-yard field goal with 51 seconds left to cap a fourth-quarter comeback that carried Northern Iowa to a victory over Eastern Washington.

Down 38-24 with 11 minutes to play, Northern Iowa (9-3) tied it on Eric Sanders' 8-yard touchdown pass to James Lindgren and David Horne's 4-yard TD run, which came with 5:22 remaining.

Sanders finished 31-of-40 for 330 yards and two touchdowns, while Horne carried 28 times for 141 yards and three TDs. Jason Breeland, who had only 10 receptions coming in, led the Panthers with eight catches for 98 yards.

Erik Meyer completed 25-of-44 passes for 387 yards and four touchdowns for Eastern Washington (7-5), but he was sacked seven times.