PDA

View Full Version : JMU QB? Battle Begins Next Week

CSN Log
March 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM
03-25-2009 12:54 PM

JMU QB? Battle Begins Next Week

HARRISONBURG - Just over a week before the start of spring practice, James Madison’s two quarterback candidates seemed loose and relaxed Tuesday afternoon as they went through conditioning drills at Bridgeforth Stadium.

Junior Drew Dudzik, who played the second half of the Dukes’ Division I-AA semifinal loss to Montana last season, will compete with redshirt freshman Justin Thorpe for the starting job, a battle that coach Mickey Matthews says likely won’t be decided until the fall.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/03/25/jmu-qb-battle-begins-next-week?blog=2#more4498)

Syntax Error
March 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
So Dukes fans, Dudzik or Thorpe?

mcveyrl
March 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
So Dukes fans, Dudzik or Thorpe?

Whichever's better. :D

I think Dudzik has earned the spot, but if Thorpe's better, he's better. Ideally, I'd like to see Thorpe involved like Landers was his sophomore year - kind of like a slash type player. Then Thorpe could take over next year.

FCS Go!
March 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I thought Dudzik looked great in the Montana game last year (at least for the backup). He was definitely a better passer than Landers. Question for Dukes Fans- Was Dudzik's success moving the ball in that game more of a system thing or more a product of his own talents?

mcveyrl
March 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I thought Dudzik looked great in the Montana game last year (at least for the backup). He was definitely a better passer than Landers. Question for Dukes Fans- Was Dudzik's success moving the ball in that game more of a system thing or more a product of his own talents?

This is a cop-out answer, but a little of both. He is definitely a better passer and I'm sure that Montana knew that, so they may have laid off the run a little bit (particularly with the lead they had). But, he's good enough of a runner to have some success when it's not being keyed in on. Whereas Landers was the opposite, you keyed for the run and he could burn the pass occasionally.

Tribe4SF
March 27th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Whether Thorpe or Dudzik, the role they play in JMU's offense will likely be less than Landers last year. The remarkable thing about Rodney was his durability. His speed, size and strength were most unusual for a QB. Dudzik came into the Montana game and filled the role, but you have to wonder how he would hold up playing like that for an entire season, especially with an OL that lost some very good players. Thorpe, of course, is an unknown quantity. He's a talented guy, and JMU fans are hoping he's another Rodney, but players like that don't come along very often.

mcveyrl
March 27th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Whether Thorpe or Dudzik, the role they play in JMU's offense will likely be less than Landers last year. The remarkable thing about Rodney was his durability. His speed, size and strength were most unusual for a QB. Dudzik came into the Montana game and filled the role, but you have to wonder how he would hold up playing like that for an entire season, especially with an OL that lost some very good players. Thorpe, of course, is an unknown quantity. He's a talented guy, and JMU fans are hoping he's another Rodney, but players like that don't come along very often.

I agree about Landers. Anybody that thinks Thorpe or Dudzik will match that is probably kidding themselves (but I hope I'm wrong). Then again, I think a similar situation happened at App when Williams left...:D (I will readily acknowledge that App's was a once in a lifetime situation).

The best we can hope for is probably 70-80% of Landers and some stepping up from the rest of the offense. Then again, I'm not nearly as worried about our offense as I am about our defense, particularly LBs. If teams average 25-30 points a game against us, the offense might nto matter. xoopsx

EDIT: I added "or Dudzik" to the first paragraph. But, when I went to do it the first time, my IE closed out. Do you guys think the computer knows something I don't...

JMU Newbill
March 31st, 2009, 06:43 AM
I see Dudzik starting for us and doing a heck of a job.

Matthews could get very creative with some of our packages utilizing Thorpe as well, but I can't see Thorpe starting just yet.

JMU Newbill
March 31st, 2009, 06:57 AM
And on a side note, let's not under rate Dudzik's running ability. The touchdown run where he was nearly knocked off his feet, caught him self, kept his balance, got back upright and scampered in for the touchdown showed a heck of a lot of athleticism. He's no bruiser like Landers, I will give you that. But neither was a guy that won a national championship at JMU... what was his name.... oh yea... Rascati.

Then there was this run on a 2 point conversion where he flipped head over heels, **cough cough** extending the **cough** ball over the **cough cough** goal line momentarily **cough**. Yea... that play was awesome!

mcveyrl
March 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM
And on a side note, let's not under rate Dudzik's running ability. The touchdown run where he was nearly knocked off his feet, caught him self, kept his balance, got back upright and scampered in for the touchdown showed a heck of a lot of athleticism. He's no bruiser like Landers, I will give you that. But neither was a guy that won a national championship at JMU... what was his name.... oh yea... Rascati.

Then there was this run on a 2 point conversion where he flipped head over heels, **cough cough** extending the **cough** ball over the **cough cough** goal line momentarily **cough**. Yea... that play was awesome!

I don't know what those coughs are for...the replay showed it was good. The guy on TV told me...xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

JMU Newbill
March 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM
I don't know what those coughs are for...the replay showed it was good. The guy on TV told me...xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

xthumbsupx