PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else stuck with a 10 game schedule?

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Both NDSU and UND are stuck at 10 games, both with openings on Sept 12th and both with pathetic, bitter administrations that refuse to act like grown ups and schedule each other this season. I've given up on that happening, though I hope the media drag them through the mud for it.

But otherwise, I don't believe there is a single FCS team left with an opening on the 12th.

That means DII/NAIA for the 5th home game, which sucks but isn't the end of the world...or it means a 10 game schedule with 4 home games, for which someone should be fired IMO and I hope season ticket holders drop by at least half.

Hoyadestroya85
March 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Rutgers has an 11 game schedule.. maybe that would be an option

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Wait - NDSU is only playing five home games, if not four? I thought this was not allowed?

And there are programs with 10-game schedules. I believe there is one or two in the SWAC from comments posted on their board, though I can not confirm.

SHSU is at 10 games presently with an opening on Sept. 12 - since Prairie View A&M dropped out. Perhaps SHSU can move the NDSU game up a week and the schools can have better luck finding schools on Sept. 19?

Not sure what is going on - though St. Joseph's of Indiana has come up. Think that was it...

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 11:30 AM

That still leaves us with 4 home games, which is unacceptable.

Redwyn
March 25th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hmm, that is a conundrum. You're definitely not alone though. Stony Brook has an open date, probably due to Iona folding (we played them last year). I think a few other Big South teams have dates as well. It's a decent distance to travel, but at least you can take heart that you're not alone.

Pity there's no U vs. State game. It would be a boon for both programs really.

nwFL Griz
March 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Teams with ten games (or less) right now:

Stony Brook
Maine
Cal Poly
N. Dakota
S. Dakota
Morgan St
Indiana St
N. Dakota St
Duquesne
Sacred Heart
Wagner
Austin Peay
Tenn-Martin
Davidson
Dayton
Drake
Morehead St
Valparaiso
Sam Houston St
Alcorn St
Jackson St
Prairie View A&M
Texas Southern

Keep in mind, some of these haven't announced a schedule, so this list will shrink.

clenz
March 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Both NDSU and UND are stuck at 10 games, both with openings on Sept 12th and both with pathetic, bitter administrations that refuse to act like grown ups and schedule each other this season. I've given up on that happening, though I hope the media drag them through the mud for it.

But otherwise, I don't believe there is a single FCS team left with an opening on the 12th.

That means DII/NAIA for the 5th home game, which sucks but isn't the end of the world...or it means a 10 game schedule with 4 home games, for which someone should be fired IMO and I hope season ticket holders drop by at least half.HAHAHAHA....sorry shouldn't laugh at that.

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM
That's ridiculous. Two state schools in the same division should defintely play each other. I can't imagine not having DelSt on the schedule. xwhistlex

andy7171
March 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM
That's ridiculous. Two state schools in the same division should defintely play each other. I can't imagine not having DelSt on the schedule. xwhistlex
xlolx
I don't know what I would do if we didn't play Morgan State every yeZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Stony Brook
Maine
Cal Poly
N. Dakota
S. Dakota
Morgan St
Indiana St
N. Dakota St
Duquesne
Sacred Heart
Wagner
Austin Peay
Tenn-Martin
Davidson
Dayton
Drake
Morehead St
Valparaiso
Sam Houston St
Alcorn St
Jackson St
Prairie View A&M
Texas Southern

Keep in mind, some of these haven't announced a schedule, so this list will shrink.

And of that list only SHSU has an opening on the 12th. They're already playing NDSU and likely would not be willing to travel to Grand Forks. So for all practical purposes, NDSU and UND are alone.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM

I think it's obviously a different situation between UD and DSU than it is between UND and NDSU.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I think it's obviously a different situation between UD and DSU than it is between UND and NDSU.

How is it different? Doesn't NDSU have a facility that could handle the game while UND has inadequate facility for such a contest? Isn't that the situation between the two Delaware schools...?

3rd Coast Tiger
March 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Texas Southern

:D

93henfan
March 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM

2010. No DelSt. Wonder if ESPN will do another special?

jmufan999
March 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM

hahahaha.... now THAT is funny!

andy7171
March 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM
How is it different? Doesn't NDSU have a facility that could handle the game while UND has inadequate facility for such a contest? Isn't that the situation between the two Delaware schools...?

In this case as I've heard it explained here, the stuck up school that refuses to play DOESN'T have the better facilities, not the case in the First State.

nwFL Griz
March 25th, 2009, 01:55 PM
And of that list only SHSU has an opening on the 12th. They're already playing NDSU and likely would not be willing to travel to Grand Forks. So for all practical purposes, NDSU and UND are alone.

Here's the open dates for all these teams (left out the PFL teams, cause there's too much conference schedule unknown at this point to make a reasonable guess):

Stony Brook - 10/10, 11/7
Maine - 9/5, 10/24
Cal Poly - 9/5, 10/24
N. Dakota - 9/12, 10/10, 11/21
S. Dakota - 10/24, 11/21
Morgan St - 9/26, 10/17
Indiana St - 10/10, 11/21
N. Dakota St - 9/12, 11/7
Duquesne - 9/26, 11/7
Sacred Heart - 9/19, 10/31, 11/21 (either 9/19 or 10/31 will be Robert Morris)
Wagner - 9/19, 10/17
Austin Peay - 9/5, 10/17
Tenn-Martin - 9/5, 10/31
Sam Houston St - 9/12, 10/3
Alcorn St - 9/12, 11/7
Jackson St - 9/26, 10/31
Prairie View A&M - 9/26, 10/31
Texas Southern - 10/3, 10/24

So it looks like there are 3 other teams with open dates on 9/12 (UND, SHSU, Alcorn St) and 3 with an open date for 11/7 (Stony Brook, Duquesne, Alcorn St). Now I know having your bye week the second week of the season sucks, but it's better than a 10 game schedule.

Libertine
March 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I have S. Dakota playing at Akron on 10/24.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Here's the open dates for all these teams (left out the PFL teams, cause there's too much conference schedule unknown at this point to make a reasonable guess):

Stony Brook - 10/10, 11/7
Maine - 9/5, 10/24
Cal Poly - 9/5, 10/24
N. Dakota - 9/12, 10/10, 11/21
S. Dakota - 10/24, 11/21
Morgan St - 9/26, 10/17
Indiana St - 10/10, 11/21
N. Dakota St - 9/12, 11/7
Duquesne - 9/26, 11/7
Sacred Heart - 9/19, 10/31, 11/21 (either 9/19 or 10/31 will be Robert Morris)
Wagner - 9/19, 10/17
Austin Peay - 9/5, 10/17
Tenn-Martin - 9/5, 10/31
Sam Houston St - 9/12, 10/3
Alcorn St - 9/12, 11/7
Jackson St - 9/26, 10/31
Prairie View A&M - 9/26, 10/31
Texas Southern - 10/3, 10/24

So it looks like there are 3 other teams with open dates on 9/12 (UND, SHSU, Alcorn St) and 3 with an open date for 11/7 (Stony Brook, Duquesne, Alcorn St). Now I know having your bye week the second week of the season sucks, but it's better than a 10 game schedule.

According to http://travisliles.com/schedules/2009/swac.html Alcorn has 10 games and 7 away games! I doubt highly they are only going to have 3 home games this season.

We already play SHSU and apparantly are not going to schedule UND.

We also aren't going to play on the Nov 7th date.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM
According to http://travisliles.com/schedules/2009/swac.html Alcorn has 10 games and 7 away games! I doubt highly they are only going to have 3 home games this season.

You must not know much about the SWAC. With all the "Classics" and other neutral site games, quite a few of the programs end up with just three or four home games on a routine basis.

Not a slam - but it's what is commonplace.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Ah, ok I see now what you mean with the classics.

Still, I doubt Alcorn is going anywhere near the Dakotas this season.

nwFL Griz
March 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I have S. Dakota playing at Akron on 10/24.

Nope, Akron is not playing South Dakota this year. Something with USD not being a counter yet. Akron is at Syracuse on 10/24

Gil Dobie
March 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM

That means DII/NAIA for the 5th home game, which sucks but isn't the end of the world...or it means a 10 game schedule with 4 home games, for which someone should be fired IMO and I hope season ticket holders drop by at least half.

If that's Potato Bowl weekend, are we going to have the Potato Bowl parade in Fargo if they play the game that weekend? I think the Potato Bowl is important to UND, and should be at UND. NDSU needs a home game.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Gil, I'm sure you're right.

NDSU and UND will find crappy home games against DII teams.

It's just a shame.

But, all good things in due time...I guess.

Gil Dobie
March 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Gil, I'm sure you're right.

NDSU and UND will find crappy home games against DII teams.

It's just a shame.

But, all good things in due time...I guess.

So who plays who at home, you're the boss?

JayJ79
March 25th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Nope, Akron is not playing South Dakota this year. Something with USD not being a counter yet. Akron is at Syracuse on 10/24

wait, I thought I remembered reading that USD/UND did count as D1 games this season. Or maybe that is just for FCS teams, not FBS teams. Or maybe I was misinformed.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
So who plays who at home, you're the boss?

Does it matter? DII is DII.

Winona or Saint Cloud would be fine.

slostang
March 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM

I would say that UND's Alerus Center is more than adequate. Here some info on it:

North Dakota is in its sixth season of playing its football home games at the Alerus Center, a 12,283-seat stadium located just minutes from the UND campus in Grand Forks.

The Alerus features an AstroTurf Magic Carpet playing surface that allows for rapid field conversion, with a playing surface that has no seams. Locker rooms are adorned in UND colors and are dividable into four 25-locker sections. There are also dressing rooms for coaches and officials. State-of-the art scoreboards, 15-by-30 Daktronics video replay boards and a BOSE sound system make the stadium one of the most exciting places in the nation to watch Division II football.

The Alerus has 18 luxury VIP suites, eight concession stands, two vending stands, 14 ticket windows in three locations and four merchandise stands.

Mr. Tiger
March 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM
You must not know much about the SWAC. With all the "Classics" and other neutral site games, quite a few of the programs end up with just three or four home games on a routine basis.

Not a slam - but it's what is commonplace.

Alcorn only plays in one classic or neutral site game every year and that's against Jackson State. So playing just three home games isn't commonplace for the Braves. You must not know much about the SWAC. xlolx

walliver
March 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM
wait, I thought I remembered reading that USD/UND did count as D1 games this season. Or maybe that is just for FCS teams, not FBS teams. Or maybe I was misinformed.

These are two different ideas.

1) To be a "counter" for FBS teams, you have to offer a certain number of scholarships or equivalents (I'm too lazy too look up the number). If the FCS team does not meet the minimum, the games does not count toward bowl-eligibility for the FBS team.

2) For FCS purposes, a team counts as a division I team after they have finished their "exploratory" year, regardless of how many (if any) scholarships are given.

Usually the term "counter" is used to describe meaning #1.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Alcorn only plays in one classic or neutral site game every year and that's against Jackson State. So playing just three home games isn't commonplace for the Braves. You must not know much about the SWAC. xlolx

xnodx

jstate83
March 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM

xnodx

A SWAC team playing with only a few home games only happens once in a blue moon.
Dude just be throwing stuff out there. xlolx

Alcorn has this kind of schedule this year because of all the coaching/administration problems.
With all the firing's, hiring's, and lawsiut's(Earnest Jones), Alcorn really needs to be commended for putting together a schedule and keeping recruit's committed through all this.
Despite all the turmoil, Alcorn signed 17 kids on signing day and about 25 kids total as of today.

Alcorn Signs 17 on National Signing Day even with coaching turmoil. (http://www.alcornsports.com/sport_m_football.php?act=show_news&news_id=1433)

Braves sign 17 on National Signing Day
by LaToya Shields
February 4, 2009

Alcorn State, MS---Alcorn State Football has unveiled their 2009 signing class. The Braves signed a total of seventeen (17) players ranging from the defensive end position to the wide receiver corp. Interim coach, Earnest Collins, says “This is a great group of kids. They wanted to come to Alcorn and play.”

Patrick Christian DL 6'4 210 Memphis, TN / Whitehaven H.S.
Joel Clems DL 6'1 280 Hattiesburg, MS / Hattiesburg H.S.
Tavoris Doss WR 5'9 175 Memphis, TN / Sheffield H.S.
Robert Gainwell LB 6'2 220 Yazoo City, MS / Yazoo City H.S.
Terrance Green TE 6'4 210 St. James, LA / St. James H.S.
Matthew Haynes OL 6'2 255 Indianapolis, IN / Warren Central H.S.
Larry Moore WR 5'9 185 New Orleans, LA / Edna Karr H.S.
Mark Nyainda DB 6'1 185 Grand Prairie, TX / Mansfield Timberview H.S.
Donte Parker ATH 5'11 175 Arlington, TX / Mansfield Timberview H.S.
Samuel Randall WR 5'9 165 Jackson, MS / Wingfield H.S.
William Seliby LB/RB 6'2 215 Saucier, MS / Harrison Central H.S.
Armand Stevenson DB 6'0 180 Jackson, MS / Murrah H.S.
Bobby Tatum OL 6'3 250 Forney, TX / Forney H.S.
Arnold Walker RB 6'0 195 Atlanta, GA / McNair H.S.
Darryl Ward LB 6'0 200 Homestead, FL / Homestead H.S.
Kevaughn Williams DL 6'1 280 Dallas, TX / W.H. Adamson H.S.
Elijah Young DL 6'3 285 Bowling Green, KY / Bowling Green H.S

JBB
March 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I would say that UND's Alerus Center is more than adequate. Here some info on it:

North Dakota is in its sixth season of playing its football home games at the Alerus Center, a 12,283-seat stadium located just minutes from the UND campus in Grand Forks.

The Alerus features an AstroTurf Magic Carpet playing surface that allows for rapid field conversion, with a playing surface that has no seams. Locker rooms are adorned in UND colors and are dividable into four 25-locker sections. There are also dressing rooms for coaches and officials. State-of-the art scoreboards, 15-by-30 Daktronics video replay boards and a BOSE sound system make the stadium one of the most exciting places in the nation to watch Division II football.

The Alerus has 18 luxury VIP suites, eight concession stands, two vending stands, 14 ticket windows in three locations and four merchandise stands.

It might have been good for DII but it seems small for FCS. NDSU has a much larger stadium and have implied they would be willing to pay UND a guarantee to play. Unfortunately, the way it looks UND insists on a game every year. They quit the the series 6 years ago and apparently cant get it back just the way they want it?

After the defeat of the Grand Forks sponsored bill in the state legislature to force NDSU into the home/homes Gene Taylor made it clear NDSU would play them but NDSU couldnt afford the home/homes. His implication was the schools would have to pay for play.

The only way they are getting a home/home is to get into our conference and thats a conference issue. If they want the endless home/home with NDSU they will have to take it up with the MVFC.

Gene Taylor has said he has an 11th game in the making. He is famous for late schedules. last year it was released in May. NDSU will schedule fairly with schools offering mutual benefit. For OOC games he has stated FBS and he wants the others at home. NDSU has shown in the past they will pay top money. That should give UND some idea of the kind of guarantee NDSU needs.

MplsBison
March 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Gene Taylor has never implied that NDSU can't afford home/homes or that the games would be "pay for play".

Please..please...don't listen to JBB when it comes to anything having to do with NDSU v UND.

Anything else he is very knowledgeable and generally has good posts. But on that topic he is so bitter he's become delusional.

JBB
March 30th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Im totally accurate about this but am not going to spend the money to get the archived article. When the Grand Forks legislative delegation was trying to force the home home issue Gene Taylor said that would not be in NDSUs best interests. It was a revenue loser for NDSU.

If this game was such a good idea for NDSU it would be scheduled. It is not.

You have the reason as petty administrations, to a certain extent that is true. NDSU will schedule single games for a guarantee. UND will not. They will schedule only the home/home series.

Thats it in a nutshell. NDSU has no obligation to schedule UND and UND has proven they certainly dont have an obligation to schedule NDSU. After all, they quit the series. Unfortunately for UND they have discovered that six years without NDSU on the schedule is costing them in a lot of different ways. For NDSU it has been the opposite.

I have no idea what Gene Taylor has up his sleeve. I havent even seen a credible rumor, but this is his style. For all we know he has UND all lined up to play.

TexasTerror
March 30th, 2009, 07:24 AM
SHSU apparently will be playing St. Joseph's of Indiana. I am not sure if the contract is signed, as perhaps we're trying to get a feel of what FCS games are out there, but it's a shame that we had to drop Prairie View A&M.

Of course, fans were the ones who informed SHSU about PV dropping. Word is that PV never contacted SHSU and continues to not return phone calls and does not pick up the phone on the subject of the football game they dropped. There's some grumblings around the SLC about some SWAC-related issues such as this in the world of football. It is what it is...

Please..please...don't listen to JBB when it comes to anything having to do with NDSU v UND.

Mpls - most of us tend not to listen to you when it comes to NDSU vs UND or many other topics impacting NDSU. You've been wrong on just about every occasion, it becomes hard to believe.

JBB
March 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM
The latest from NDSU:

An 11th football game has yet to be finalized, with the flood stalling talks. Taylor said he's been communicating with an unspecified school about either a Sept. 12 or a Nov. 7 home game. No, it's not UND.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Looks like Duquesne has Nov 7th open and they only have 5 away games so far.

That sucks to pay a team to come to Fargo and destroy a perfect opportunity to rest up in Nov. Esp. when it's going to be a crappy crowd.

We could get UND in the dome to a SRO crowd for free and early in the year.

bobcat7
March 31st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Looks like Duquesne has Nov 7th open and they only have 5 away games so far.

That sucks to pay a team to come to Fargo and destroy a perfect opportunity to rest up in Nov. Esp. when it's going to be a crappy crowd.

We could get UND in the dome to a SRO crowd for free and early in the year..

As regards November 7, it seem to me Duquesne and Stony Brook would be a very interesting natural event. The Dukies have much great synergy with Long Island than with the Black Hills and regions north thereof. xchinscratchx

MplsBison
March 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah I saw Stony Brook has an opening on the 7th as well and SB already has 6 away games whereas Duq. has 5.

Seems like Duq @ SB is probably a done deal.

Good...I want to keep as much pressure on NDSU and UND to schedule the game this year as possible.

Hope the media drags them through the mud for not scheduling the game.

BearsCountry
March 31st, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'm sure UND wants to give up a home game to play NDSU. Its not going to happen this year.

MplsBison
March 31st, 2009, 07:26 PM
I'm sure UND wants to give up a home game to play NDSU. Its not going to happen this year.

Once UND and USD joing the MVFC, we'll be playing every year.

Future MVFC = Dakotas, Iowa, Illinois league. No more Indiana, Youngstown or Missouri.