PDA

View Full Version : Wagner 2009 Schedule

hebmskebm
March 25th, 2009, 09:49 AM
http://www.wagnerathletics.com/documents/2009/3/24/2009%20Football%20Schedule.pdf?path=football

Day Date Opponent Time
Sat. Sept. 5 STONEHILL 1:00 pm
Thu. Sept. 10 at Maritime 7:00 pm
Sat. Sept. 19 Open
Sat. Sept. 26 SAINT FRANCIS (PA) 1:00 pm
Sat. Oct. 3 at Bryant 1:00 pm
Sat. O ct. 10 at Monmouth 1:00 pm
Sat. Oct. 17 Open
Sat. Oct. 24 SACRED HEART 1:00 pm
Sat. Oct. 31 at Duquesne 1:00 pm
Sat. Nov. 7 CENTRAL CONNECTICUT ST. 1:00 pm
Sat. Nov. 14 at Robert Morris 1:00 pm
Sat. Nov. 21 ALBANY 1:00 pm
* Northeast

Allow me, :pumpuke:

danefan
March 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Two words that you'll be hearing Albany fans discussing a lot - Big South.

That is a horrendous schedule.

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 10:15 AM
at Maritime? Seriously? DIII? xnonono2x

THROGS NECK, NY - The Maritime football team traveled to Mount Ida College for their final contest of the 2008 season. The Privateers fell in a tough battle 28-35 to finish the season at 4-5 overall.

Kinda says it all. xnonono2x

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Both NDSU and UND are open on Sept 12th.

Quite obvious that Wagner could not be bought for a game in the Dakotas.

seahawkfan2007
March 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Wagner's JV team played Maritime's Varsity in 2005. The scoreboard was turned off at halftime (it was something like 55-0, Wagner's JV winning). Maritime will also be hosting the likes of Ana Maria College and Castleton State (two start up D3's). If you don't think Ana Maria is any good, check out their team photo in their athletic web site (no offence to AMC, we all started somewhere).
Why are playing this game? Answer: to get a W. Memo to the Wagner Athletic Dept. If we do get the W, it should not count! This is disgraceful.

Redwyn
March 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hmmm, that is a pity. I hope the extra W will improve Wagner somehow, since it doesn't seem to be helping its reputation in FCS this year.

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM
If you don't think Ana Maria is any good, check out their team photo in their athletic web site (no offence to AMC, we all started somewhere).
They're going to get awfully tired playing both sides. xeyebrowx

http://www.annamaria.edu/templates/prototype/img/spacer.gif

Seahawks Fan
March 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Very weak OOC schedule. This is disappointing. Hopefully they are still looking to fill one of those open dates. We need to start (renew) some local rivalries.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Will Wagner be upgrading their schedule as the league prepares to compete in the playoffs? Schedules like this will only hurt the NEC as they make their way into automatic bid land...

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
U-G-L-Y.

The road game at a D-III school is unaccepatable. As bad as it is, lets not forget that Delaware State back out of an agreement to host Wagner.

On the bright side and looking ahead, Wagner does have a home-home deal with CORNELL that begins next year!!!!

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM
As bad as it is, lets not forget that Delaware State back out of an agreement to host Wagner.
The Furman ripple continues. xsmiley_wix

DetroitFlyer
March 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Looks to me like a COMPLETELY 100% COMPLIANT schedule for an FCS program. I would really like to see Wagner and Dayton get a series going.... That 1987 loss is still haunting me....

I have no problem with this schedule at all.... Win the NEC this year and it is off to the last Gridiron Classic. Win the NEC next year with this schedule, and enjoy a trip to the playoffs!

Like I've said many times here, like it or not, the average Wagner football fan could care less if you are playing a CAA team or a low level Divison III team. In their minds, THEY ARE THE SAME, (non-FBS). Frankly, it is comical to observe the EXTREME case of FBS Wannabeeism that has invested this board. ANY game against a "lower" division is "bad".... If you want to be FBS, then just do it and get the heck out of FCS.

Glad to see that Wagner is giving a couple of schools an opportunity to "play up" in 2009. xthumbsupx

Go...gate
March 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I would like to see a Colgate-Wagner home-and-home. You guys have a nice ballpark in a fun setting (not to mention that I could drive to the game in about an hour or two).

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have no problem with this schedule at all.... Win the NEC this year and it is off to the last Gridiron Classic. Win the NEC next year with this schedule, and enjoy a trip to the playoffs!

DetroitFlyer - is it that the NEC would prefer to be in the "play-in" round each year with their team and going on the road? It will take more than one team's results, SOS, etc for them to improve themselves in such a way that the league is not stick in "play-in purgatory".

Figured this league was on the up-and-up, a much different case than the Pioneer...?

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Looks to me like a COMPLETELY 100% COMPLIANT schedule for an FCS program. I would really like to see Wagner and Dayton get a series going.... That 1987 loss is still haunting me....

Like I've said many times here, like it or not, the average Wagner football fan could care less if you are playing a CAA team or a low level Divison III team. In their minds, THEY ARE THE SAME, (non-FBS). Frankly, it is comical to observe the EXTREME case of FBS Wannabeeism that has invested this board. ANY game against a "lower" division is "bad".... If you want to be FBS, then just do it and get the heck out of FCS.

Glad to see that Wagner is giving a couple of schools an opportunity to "play up" in 2009. xthumbsupx

You get the heck out of FCS.

The PL schools were never asked to be here in the first place. I would rather see you in DII or DIII, where you belong.

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I would like to see a Colgate-Wagner home-and-home. You guys have a nice ballpark in a fun setting (not to mention that I could drive to the game in about an hour or two).

Yeah, but I don't think your AD would agree.

The reality is Colgate doesn't want road games with NEC teams. Home games and $$$ trump logical deals like the one you suggest.

nwFL Griz
March 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM

My vote for most ignorant post of the year.

Like it or not FCS is division 1 football, and FCS teams need to act like it. That includes not travelling to lower division teams, and keeping games with lower division teams to one per year. I can see adding that second DII or DIII game if you get hosed in a scheduling foul-up (like Wagner did), but to do it willingly like nearly all of the PFL do on a yearly basis is....well, not acting like a division I football program.

seahawkfan2007
March 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Totally agree with Shawn D. Not to mention that Albany, CCSU and Monmouth have figured out that playing quality OOC, FCS programs makes a difference in recruting, fan support and $. Maybe that's why they compete for NEC title every year.

Maybe the average Wagner fan dosn't care but to me there is a huge difference in playing a road game vs. a newly formed D3 team, in front of 350 and no payday and playing a program like Maine or North Dakota. I would make the trip to either of those places but I won't be going to Throgs Neck on the 10th.

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Two words that you'll be hearing Albany fans discussing a lot - Big South.

That is a horrendous schedule.

Please, don't let one team's schedule get to you. The Big South is not the answer for Albany!!

When you look at the NEC as a whole (see my NEC non-conference thread) this is a great year for NEC schedules.

- SFPA is playing Northern Iowa and New Hampshire in the same year!
- RMU has VMI and Bucknell. Duquesne has Bucknell and Nichols State.
- Even SHU has Holy Cross so far.
- Plus CCSU and Monnmouth are continuing with a very tough schedules

The NEC has an AQ next year and is competeing head to head with the PL. Don't underestimate what the conference has done in a few short years and how much more we can do!!!

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Frankly, it is comical to observe the EXTREME case of FBS Wannabeeism that has invested this board. ANY game against a "lower" division is "bad"....
BALONEY. It's more comical seeing you make huge leaps and fall flat on your arse. Playing a DII at home is fine. Playing AT a DIII (a bad one at that) is horrendous. Has anyone said anything to the contrary? xcoffeex xcoolx

danefan
March 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Please, don't let one team's schedule get to you. The Big South is not the answer for Albany!!

When you look at the NEC as a whole (see my NEC non-conference thread) this is a great year for NEC schedules.

- SFPA is playing Northern Iowa and New Hampshire in the same year!
- RMU has VMI and Bucknell. Duquesne has Bucknell and Nichols State.
- Even SHU has Holy Cross so far.
- Plus CCSU and Monnmouth are continuing with a very tough schedules

The NEC has an AQ next year and is competeing head to head with the PL. Don't underestimate what the conference has done in a few short years and how much more we can do!!!

As long as there are teams with the mentality Wagner has exhibited with this schedule (and year's past) the NEC will never be more than a mid to lower level FCS conference stuck at the 40 scholarship limit. That is not where I want Albany to be. Great strides have been made, for sure, but I feel the NEC may have hit the plateu evidenced by the 40 scholly limit drawn out painfully over a 5 year period.

jimbo65
March 25th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Checked the Ana Maria sports site. They provide pictures and stats for 18 players. Guess they are going back to the two way player.

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Dane - patience, my friend. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The AQ is HUGE for us next year!!!!! The impact on recruiting will more than make up for the "ramp up" in schollys. We can now reall go after with PL and CAA recruits and offer them rides and a chance at the playoffs. From what I've heard at CCSU that is having a big impact on the caliber of talent they can talk to now. I'm sure its the same at UA.

IMO - the Albany administration is not a rash as some fans might be. I certainly think UAlnbany is going to see how the 2010 and 2011 goes with the playoffs on the line. After that, all bets are off. As we've seen with the Fordham situation, there may be a future opportunity for full scholarship football in the Northeast.

Until then, enjoy the ride!

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 02:47 PM

We can look at one schedule. As we've seen with a few other leagues (especially the SLC in post-Katrina mode), the schedules of a few teams in the league being bad could have an ultimate effect on the post-season - namely your league going from from two to one in the postseason or worse, continue to get challenging playoff games that prevent your conference's chances from winning being that high.

As long as there are teams with the mentality Wagner has exhibited with this schedule (and year's past) the NEC will never be more than a mid to lower level FCS conference stuck at the 40 scholarship limit. That is not where I want Albany to be. Great strides have been made, for sure, but I feel the NEC may have hit the plateu evidenced by the 40 scholly limit drawn out painfully over a 5 year period.

Good post! :)

UNHWildCats
March 25th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Checked the Ana Maria sports site. They provide pictures and stats for 18 players. Guess they are going back to the two way player.
perhaps there counting on lots of walk ons this spring?

DetroitFlyer
March 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM

The PL schools were never asked to be here in the first place. I would rather see you in DII or DIII, where you belong.

Says the FBS wannabee....

DetroitFlyer
March 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
My vote for most ignorant post of the year.

Like it or not FCS is division 1 football, and FCS teams need to act like it. That includes not travelling to lower division teams, and keeping games with lower division teams to one per year. I can see adding that second DII or DIII game if you get hosed in a scheduling foul-up (like Wagner did), but to do it willingly like nearly all of the PFL do on a yearly basis is....well, not acting like a division I football program.

mainejeff
March 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I can see why Wagner would not want to travel to North Dakota........but why wouldn't they want to a nice little payday to play at Maine on Sept.5th??? Stonehill is a D-2 school.......I'm sure that Wagner could have gotten out of that game if they wanted to........xrolleyesx

otto4pres
March 25th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Wagner doesn't want to weaken their SOS.

UAalum72
March 25th, 2009, 06:47 PM
The reality is Colgate doesn't want road games with NEC teams. Home games and $$$ trump logical deals like the one you suggest.
I did hear today that the 2011 Albany-Colgate game is the first of a three- or four-year deal in which Albany presumably would get one or two home games.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Go back to DIII where you belong and where you wanted to be in the first place.

UAalum72
March 25th, 2009, 07:58 PM

In point of fact, the Pioneer League schools were not just 'asked' but were 'required' to be here.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Yes I know, Dayton rule.

I would be fine with having minimum scholarships for FCS and forcing teams go down to DII or DIII if they can't or won't meet them.

Redwyn
March 26th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I'm not sure I agree that wanting strong, competitive scholarship football in the FCS is really making any of us FBS wannabees. Afterall, football's a massive investment, so may as well do it right if you do it at all. FCS isn't really a "dumbed down" version of FBS football for many programs (App State, Furman, U Mass, and Montana come to mind), but merely a chance for schools with smaller organizations to have a level playing field. Nothing wrong with that, and the pro players that come from FCS should be proof of the fact that, for the moment, the system works. Now it's true that some programs are underfunded compared to others, but that still gives no program an excuse for not attempting to make the most of its circumstances.

Regarding the topic, which was Wagner's schedule, it seems a very "safe" solution to show team development. The extra W will look great in the record book, and if it helps lock a winning record this could help with recruitment. Any school is allowed a year like this, once in a while. It's synonymous with a rebuilding year. However, if Wagner fans and backers are to tolerate it, I do hope that 2010 shows an aggressive attempt to put Wagner in the thick of FCS football. Otherwise, I do have to agree, they might do better as a DII powerhouse than a DI stomping ground.

Dane96
March 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM
This isnt a once in a while thing-- this is an EVERY year thing. Frankly...I have been anti-speaking out on their schedule in the past--- but after going to the AVA MARIA site...I am embarrassed that Hamline would set this game up.

He should be ashamed.

Fordham
March 26th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Really is too bad. Our AD's are very close friends and we scrimmage Wagner as well. I went to that scrimmage this past year and thought they were a solid group. Too bad we can't get them on our schedule, given the proximity. Same goes for Hofstra and Stony Brook.

You do start getting worried when you see a skid like this come out.

Seahawks Fan
March 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
We should be playing Fordham. I don't know why we schedule these OOC games. The alumni have to become more vocal.

GaelsFootball
March 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM
The Maritime game is the Iona replacement. I am assuming that they couldn't find anything for Week 2. Not many teams have an Open date at the time when we dropped our program. And from what I have heard that is a Thursday night game which is a plus in my opinion. Personally I am looking forward to that game as we have Gaels on both sidelines.

MplsBison
March 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
The Maritime game is the Iona replacement. I am assuming that they couldn't find anything for Week 2. Not many teams have an Open date at the time when we dropped our program. And from what I have heard that is a Thursday night game which is a plus in my opinion. Personally I am looking forward to that game as we have Gaels on both sidelines.

North Dakota St, North Dakota and Sam Houston had and still have open dates on the 12th.

rmutv
March 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM
North Dakota St, North Dakota and Sam Houston had and still have open dates on the 12th.
And all of those are a very long way from Staten Island.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2009, 02:22 PM
And all of those are a very long way from Staten Island.

NDSU and UND would've paid for travel, obviously.