PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinals

GSU Eagle
November 26th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Northern Iowa at New Hampshire
Cal Poly at Texas St.

Furman at Richmond
Southern Illinois at Appalachian St.

4 good games. It is interesting that all 4 semifinalists from last year are gone (or did not make playoffs)

Not alot of championship experience left among the 8 teams left. A lot of the favorites or big name teams of 1AA are gone.

I am still predicting an Appalachian vs. New Hampshire final.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 10:40 PM
App better play better than they did today

ravens
November 26th, 2005, 10:52 PM
:shakingma :shakingma
Cal Poly at Texas St.

Furman at Richmond

4 good games. It is interesting that all 4 semifinalists from last year are gone (or did not make playoffs)

Not alot of championship experience left among the 8 teams left. A lot of the favorites or big name teams of 1AA are gone.

Furman-Richmond
Richmond-Appy
Appy-UNH
That would give 3 head to head contests between the two dominant divisions in 1-AA.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 26th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Cal Poly at Texas St.

Furman at Richmond

Based on today's games, I'm predicting an all A-10 final.... two dominant wins....

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Based on today's games, I'm predicting an all A-10 final.... two dominant wins....

Who did the A-10 play today......

Tod
November 26th, 2005, 11:00 PM
:shakingma :shakingma

Furman-Richmond
Richmond-Appy
Appy-UNH
That would give 3 head to head contests between the two dominant divisions in 1-AA.

"The two dominant divisions"? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Great conferences, no doubt, but I think the anointment is probably a bit much.

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Eric Sanders 31 of 40 330 yards 2 TDs 0 Ints
Erik Meyer 25 of 44 387 yards 4 TDs 0 Ints

Amazing QB'ing by two Champions.....oh yeah....Sanders is a Sophmore..... :hurray:

SunCoastBlueHen
November 26th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Who did the A-10 play today......

Same thing could be said if the A-10 played the Gateway...

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 11:04 PM

Amazing QB'ing by two Champions.....oh yeah....Sanders is a Sophmore.....

ravens
November 26th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Would you like to suggest another dominant conference in the past 10 years?

Tod
November 26th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Same thing could be said if the A-10 played the Gateway...

Those are big words for someone who doesn't have a clue. xidiotx

November 26th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Cal Poly at Texas St.

Furman at Richmond
Southern Illinois at Appalachian St...Games locations will be announced tomorrow.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 26th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Those are big words for someone who doesn't have a clue. xidiotx

Just based on recent history...

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2005, 11:14 PM

Amazing QB'ing by two Champions.....oh yeah....Sanders is a Sophmore..... :hurray:

HEY KNUCKLEHEAD...SO IS SANTOS!.......BETTERAH BRING YER.....WINTER GEAR!.......NO LID OVERAH DURHAM!....:bawling:.....A-10WK!

November 26th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Same thing could be said if the A-10 played the Gateway...Conferences don't play each other... teams are not forever in the same conference...

GannonFan
November 26th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Games locations will be announced tomorrow.

Are any of the seeds left a possibility of not hosting (ala Colgate in the semis in '03)? If not, it would appear with Furman already saying they'll be at Richmond next week that the locations are pretty solid. Anything in the grapevine that would say something different?

Killsback
November 26th, 2005, 11:16 PM
For the second straight week SIU's defense does not allow a TD and permits the fewest yards of any first round game. EIU got only 244 total yards in the game. The Saluki defense is playing better.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 26th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Conferences don't play each other... teams are not forever in the same conference...

Yes, but the same teams have been in the same conferences for the past few years and the results have been in favor of one conference...

MR. CHICKEN
CHECK WHIFF JAXHEN...SEEMS HE GOTS ALL DUH KNOWLEDGE!..xazzx..BRAWK!

ravens

During past 7 years A-10 has won national championship 3 times, and SoCon twice. 5 out of 7 could be called dominant, no?

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 11:18 PM
HEY KNUCKLEHEAD...SO IS SANTOS!.......BETTERAH BRING YER.....WINTER GEAR!.......NO LID OVERAH DURHAM!....:bawling:.....A-10WK!

Thanks Knucklehead for the kind info....

Wheres Egghead Jr.?
http://www.petcaretips.net/egghead.gif

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2005, 11:26 PM
CHICAGO........EGG-HEAD......COULD QB'ed UH W...vs...DUH GREAT "OUTDOOR" CATS!.......SAW YA'LL IN NEWARK......AN' IT WAS COLD...COLD...WINDY..AN' COLD!....WAIT TIL YA'LL GET UH LOAD O'..NEW ZEALAND...AH MEAN..NEW HAMPSHIRE!.........:eek:.......A-10WK!

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the excellent insight.....enjoy the game next weekend....

Tod
November 26th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Well, first you're throwing in qualifiers now that didn't exist in your original statement , but sure, I'll make some suggestions for you. Let's see, the A-10 has won three, the Big Sky has won two, the SoCon 2, and the Gateway 2 (I don't recall which conference Marshall was in, they won a NC as well).

What else do you want to know?

godawgs
November 26th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Thanks Knucklehead for the kind info....

Wheres Egghead Jr.?
http://www.petcaretips.net/egghead.gif

LOL, just ignore Mr. Chicken. He's still a little bitter that he didn't make the playoffs this year. :nod:

Meanwhile, at least we're both still playing football. xlolx

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Well, first you're throwing in qualifiers now that didn't exist in your original statement , but sure, I'll make some suggestions for you. Let's see, the A-10 has won three, the Big Sky has won two, the SoCon 2, and the Gateway 2 (I don't recall which conference Marshall was in, they won a NC as well).

I believe Marshall was in the SoCon

bcrawf
November 26th, 2005, 11:36 PM
You heard it here first
UNI WILL BEAT UNH NEXT SATURDAY

Great Game EWU this game tonight shoud have been played 2 Saturdays from now. Screw the NCAA!! By the way when you look at attendance for our game: It was announced at 7700 but there were easily 11000 in the dome.

THE DOME MAGIC IS BACK!!!

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2005, 11:37 PM
LOL, just ignore Mr. Chicken. He's still a little bitter that he didn't make the playoffs this year. :nod:

Meanwhile, at least we're both still playing football. xlolx

BITTER!....BITTER!.........DOWN RIGHT SOUR!......YA'LL WON'T BE PLAYIN' FO' LONG!....waa waa.....A-10WK!....JES' DIS-REGARD...DAT GPI THINGIE!

MR. CHICKEN
November 26th, 2005, 11:39 PM
You heard it here first

Great Game EWU this game tonight shoud have been played 2 Saturdays from now. Screw the NCAA!! By the way when you look at attendance for our game: It was announced at 7700 but there were easily 11000 in the dome.

THE DOME IS BACK?....GUESS WHAT PURPLE LAD..........NO DOME OVERAH...DURHAM!.......BRING YER SKIS...SO IT WON'T BE UH COMPLETE WASTED TRIP!............:bawling:............BA-10WK!

ravens
November 26th, 2005, 11:43 PM

Hmmm. Marshall? Let's see...SoCon. A-10 or SoCon have won championship 6 of past 10 years, 5 of last 7 years. Big Sky and Gateway are second tier...sorry Tod.

UNHknowledge
November 27th, 2005, 12:02 AM
You heard it here first

Nope. ChiPanther and rcny46 beat you to it. As far as the game...it might be time for UNI to rely on some football skills rather than MAGIC! Magic hasn't worked for 11 teams against UNH. Also, that mystical magical dome of yours is not mobile and you will actually have to play outdoors next week.

Tod
November 27th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Hmmm. Marshall? Let's see...SoCon. A-10 or SoCon have won championship 6 of past 10 years, 5 of last 7 years. Big Sky and Gateway are second tier...sorry Tod.

LOL, you are too funny!! Gateway and Big Sky have won four of last 10...six of last 12!! It all depends on how you want to slice and dice it, but if it makes you feel happy, you can live in your fantasy world.

The A-10 has won three in the last seven years alright. Also, three in the last 27 years (the history of I-AA). The SoCon has been dominant, winning nine, I believe. But GSU has won six of them, and Marshall is gone. That leaves Furman as the only other SoCon team to ever win a NC.

The Gateway has won six NC's, I believe, and the Big Sky five (although Boise State has moved to I-A).

Since the SoCon has won a NC we have had two champions from the A-10, one from the Gateway and one from the Big Sky.

Also, it kind of helps that the wrongly named A-10 has 12 teams, don't you think? The SoCon, Big Sky and Gateway have eight.

No doubt the A-10 has been doing well lately, but I hardly think your putting the A-10 and SoCon on pedestals is right. I believe I'd get a lot of support with that point of view from members of this board that are A-10 and SoCon fans too.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 01:36 AM

Lets not forget the Payton winner to be Santos...

Ricky Santos 18-27 252 3 TD; 1 Int ----- 14 rushes 165 yards 1 TD

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Well, if you count the past 10 years as 1996 on the Southern and A10 each have 3 national titles (including Marshall's last one) while the Gateway has 2. If you count it as 1995 on the Big Sky's got two as well.

What's interesting about the Gateway's titles is that each time their third place team won it.

Tod
November 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Well, if you count the past 10 years as 1996 on the Southern and A10 each have 3 national titles (including Marshall's last one) while the Gateway has 2. If you count it as 1995 on the Big Sky's got two as well.

What's interesting about the Gateway's titles is that each time their third place team won it.

Right. I was counting 1995 since we don't know who the champion will be this year. I was counting the last 10 champions.

And while I admit the A-10 is doing very well, could possibly make it three in a row, I believe this guy that put the A-10 and the SoCon on a pedestal above all other conferences is whacky. How can he put the SoCon on that list, when the Gatway and Big Sky have won titles since the last SoCon title? And what about your Southland? It's not competative on a national level? I say it is. ***** happens in the playoffs, as you know.

From the GPI (notice how close the top six conferences are. Also notice that the A-10(12) is ranked sixth, and the SoCon is ranked second).

Conference Rank
1. Big Sky Conference (26.35)
2. Southern Conference (28.14)
3. Gateway Football Conference (28.26)
4. Southland Conference (30.24)
5. Great West Football Conference (31.35)
6. Atlantic 10 Conference (32.50)
7. Ivy League (42.78)
8. Patriot League (53.30)
9. Ohio Valley Conference (53.56)
10. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (53.68)
11. Big South Conference (60.42)
12. Southwestern Athletic Conference (63.66)
13. Pioneer Football League (69.15)
14. Northeast Conference (74.61)
15. Metro-Atlantic Athletic Conference (78.29)

SoCon48
November 27th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I believe Marshall was in the SoCon

Actually Marshall won 2 while in the SoCon.
SoCon has won 5 NC's over the history of I-AA.

Tod
November 27th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Actually Marshall won 2 while in the SoCon.
SoCon has won 5 NC's over the history of I-AA.

Dude! GSU has won six! Or am I not taking into account conference affiliation? I guess that's where I may be mistaken. But if there was a forerunner of the SoCon that was made up of most of its current teams, personally I'd still give it to the SoCon (i.e. Yankee/A-10).

thirdgendin
November 27th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Dude! GSU has won six! Or am I not taking into account conference affiliation? I guess that's where I may be mistaken. But if there was a forerunner of the SoCon that was made up of most of its current teams, personally I'd still give it to the SoCon (i.e. Yankee/A-10).

GSU won four national titles as an independent (1985, '86, '89, '90) and two as a member of the SoCon (1999, 2000). Furman won the 1988 national title and Marshall won it in 1992 and '96.

Championships by conference:
Independent - 7 (Youngstown State x3, Georgia Southern x4)
Big Sky - 5 (Montana x2, Montana State, Idaho State, Boise State) - 3 came in the early 80s
Southern - 5 (Georgia Southern x2, Marshall x2, Furman)
A-10/Yankee - 3 (UMass, Delaware, JMU)
Gateway - 2 (Western Kentucky, Youngstown State x1)
Southland - 1 (La.-Monroe)
MEAC - 1 (Florida A&M)
OVC - 2 (Eastern Kentucky x2)
Missouri Valley? - 1 (Southern Illinois)

Purple Knight
November 28th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Are any of the seeds left a possibility of not hosting (ala Colgate in the semis in '03)? If not, it would appear with Furman already saying they'll be at Richmond next week that the locations are pretty solid. Anything in the grapevine that would say something different?

Furman outbid Richmond, has a higher rank in most polls, has a better attendance record. Why the H.. has 'the committe' given the game to Richmond? Pollitics? No matter what is done and who does it, it seems 'other factors' always are used to modify the general rules.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Furman outbid Richmond, has a higher rank in most polls, has a better attendance record. Why the H.. has 'the committe' given the game to Richmond? Pollitics? No matter what is done and who does it, it seems 'other factors' always are used to modify the general rules.

got proof that Furman outbid Richmond?

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 09:53 AM

In Richmond's defense, they probably put in a higher bid ($$$) than Furman did (unless you can provide proof that's normally the bigger determinant), and Furman hasn't exactly been the best at attendance in the playoffs lately. Furman only had 8k something for a quarterfinal game against JMU last year and only had just over 4k for the first round game against Nicholls St. The NCAA does look at things like that before awarding the site - sometimes they don't want you losing tons of money just to host games, and if Furman fans aren't coming out then the university must be losing a lot trying to host these things.

thirdgendin
November 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM

No. Just speculation. We need to just get over it.

LarryBoy
November 28th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Both the 8,000 report for the quarterfinal game last year and the 4,000 report for the Nicholls State game were under-reported. I'd wager that there were 7,000 for Nicholls State, and at least 10,000 for James Madison.

But then again, my police-estimate skills probably aren't the best.

On the other hand, Richmond averaged 5,000-6,000 this year...half of Furman's 12,000....I'm doubting that the NCAA's motivation was thinking that Richmond would end up with better attendance.

But as it's been said, we Furmanites need to get over it.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Dude, did I mention GSU?

Purple Knight
November 28th, 2005, 10:51 PM

From our AD, outbid them by $5,000. This is highly inconsistant with current and prior procedures. Politics man, PAS.

Purple Knight
November 28th, 2005, 10:55 PM
In Richmond's defense, they probably put in a higher bid ($$$) than Furman did (unless you can provide proof that's normally the bigger determinant), and Furman hasn't exactly been the best at attendance in the playoffs lately. Furman only had 8k something for a quarterfinal game against JMU last year and only had just over 4k for the first round game against Nicholls St. The NCAA does look at things like that before awarding the site - sometimes they don't want you losing tons of money just to host games, and if Furman fans aren't coming out then the university must be losing a lot trying to host these things.

I bet you had to choke this down. Surely you jest.

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 10:57 PM
From our AD, outbid them by $5,000. This is highly inconsistant with current and prior procedures. Politics man, PAS.

Here's the actual procedcures for site determination - it's a little more than the actual bid itself:

Site Determination

With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3, the NCAA Division I-AA Football Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top four seeded teams.
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
d. If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
e. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship siteselection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution.

Purple Knight
November 28th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Both the 8,000 report for the quarterfinal game last year and the 4,000 report for the Nicholls State game were under-reported. I'd wager that there were 7,000 for Nicholls State, and at least 10,000 for James Madison.

But then again, my police-estimate skills probably aren't the best.

On the other hand, Richmond averaged 5,000-6,000 this year...half of Furman's 12,000....I'm doubting that the NCAA's motivation was thinking that Richmond would end up with better attendance.

But as it's been said, we Furmanites need to get over it.

As far as the team goes, I agree. But unless our AD pushes the issue, 'the committe' can do what they want, when they want, and to whom they want. It would be interesting if SI and FU won. What would they do?

November 28th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Here's the actual procedcures for site determination - it's a little more than the actual bid itself:
Site Determination ...
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
If the FU bid was larger why was the game at UR? Seems they have all the other criteria on their side. I'll find out...

Purple Knight
November 28th, 2005, 11:10 PM
If the FU bid was larger why was the game at UR? Seems they have all the other criteria on their side. I'll find out...

Thanks.

November 28th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks.I'll try to get the committee chair to answer it for I-AA WAVES.

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 11:54 PM
As far as the team goes, I agree. But unless our AD pushes the issue, 'the committe' can do what they want, when they want, and to whom they want. It would be interesting if SI and FU won. What would they do?

Make one forfeit based on a technicality, and move the other straight the 'ship to avoid the expense of having the game played at either team's homefield?! :confused: :eek: