PDA

View Full Version : Gardner Webb Spring Game

elcid83
March 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Is set for 12:00 Saturday [March 28]. Here's hoping a big crowd will show up to thank our boys for all of their hard work in the Spring and get them excited about summer workouts and fall camp. I see that after about 3 weeks of spectacular weather there is rain in the forecast for Saturday in Boiling Springs. I assume the game will go ahead as scheduled. Has anyone heard any different? In any event, I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
March 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM
ElCid - I'm hoping for but not expecting a big crowd for Saturday. The weather is a potential issue and the GWU sports website as of late yesterday had not posted anything about the Spring Football Game. I don't know whether they have a email notification list to their Bulldog Club members or a newsletter but you would hope so. I wish they would post an announcement on the website though. We're hoping to get there a littl early to do some merchandise shopping in the bookstore. Gotta start outfitting the home/office/vehicle and wearing a little Runnin Bulldog attire you know. We can just refer to it as a little GWU stimulus if you will. See you guys on Saturday. If last Saturday was any indication, the guys are working hard and deserve the support of all GWU fans.

britt
March 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
The forecast is for rain on Saturday, I am sure if it is wet or raining the game will not be played. I understand that it rained last year during or prior to the Spring game and they lost a couple of players for the year to devastating injuries. I understand the conditions at game time were not the best for the game.

g-webb1994
March 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Might want to call the bookstore before Friday, EagleDawg. They are notorious for not being open on Saturdays.....something the alumni board is trying to work on.

They are calling for cloudy skies and intermittent rain between Thursday and Sunday.

EagleDawg
March 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
G-Webb1994 - Thanks for the heads up on the bookstore. We've encountered it being closed during our Official Visit over a weekend back in January. We all have been told it will be opened for the Spring Game so that the new recruits and their families can get in and acquire some GWU merchandise.

EagleDawg
March 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
britt - Yeah the forecast is for rain but the chance of rain currently is only 40% and one of the major weather outlets is only calling for .02 inches during the day with heavier rain/thunderstorms in the evening/nighttime hours. Keeping our fingers crossed that the weather will work out for Saturday's 2 pm scheduled game. Hope it doesn't rain too much between now and then to turn the field soggy either. I can understand how that might lead to an unnecessary injury and we don't need any of those. Any info. on GWU announcing/publicizing the game or is this just normal procedure?

EagleDawg
March 24th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Elcid and G-Webb 1994 - I just noticed that the Runnin Bulldog in each of your Avatars is running in opposite directions based on this thread. What's up with that? Does one Dog play Defense and the other Offense? Or is it live shots with one in the 1st qtr and the other in the 2nd qtr? All kidding aside, we're all jazzed up and ready to get things rolling. I believe EagleDawg, Jr. would have just as soon moved on in at GWU and suited up for last week's intrasquad scrimmage, he's ready to roll. While he loves lifting weights he's ready to get back to the actual football stuff, you know, hitting/blocking somebody. I bet the other young pups are getting a bit antsy too. A intrasquad scrimmage, a Spring Game, it's sort of like putting some red meat in front of, you guessed it a Runnin Bulldog. xnodxxnodxxnodx

GridFan
March 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Found this while checking on a game time for tomorrow's baseball up in Forest City. Looks like your bookstore will be open Saturday. Buy some Red and Black!

http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3699577&DB_OEM_ID=10300

g-webb1994
March 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM
The logo is ambidextrous and can go both ways.;)

elcid83
March 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I guess 1994's dog is a first half dog and mine is a second half dog. I agree with Eagle's assessment of the website. The sports calendar on the GW athletic website does not even mention the Spring Game. Most Div I athletic websites at least list football practice dates and all of them make a big deal of the Spring Games. Hopefully this will improve. It probably wouldn't hurt for more fans to make bigger contributions to the Bulldog Club. Whether we like it or not, it takes lots of money to run a successful athletic program.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

EagleDawg
March 31st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Well GWU folks, if you hadn't heard the GWU Spring Game scheduled for this past Saturday was cancelled due to inclement weather. The team ended up doing some general conditioning work inside in front of the folks who slogged through the rain and made it to Boiling Springs. I believe 11 of the 14 signed recruits made it to Boiling Springs for Saturday's festivities. A little shopping for GWU gear in the campus bookstore, followed by lunch, visiting with the coaching staff inside the football center, new recruits being introduced to the alumni/former players and then watching the current Dawgs get in a little running. Not a bad day considering the weather but it sure would have been a little more fun watching the guys mix it up some on the field. It was a good chance for most of the new guys to place a face with a name and meet their new teammates. The following new players and their families I believe were there (Sean Davis, Keenan Grissett, Jeff Harris, James Harrill, Jonathan Langston, Courtney Roundtree, Austin Sargent, Hudson Smith, Nick Stone, Chandler Browning and Xavier Montague). Jamie Dunaway, Xavier Armstrong and Matt Goods were unable to make the trip. This was a good bunch of players with good size and athleticism. C. Browning has really good size at QB and his highlights show that he can make all the throws with good accuracy. Nick Stone was physically impressive and will be a great addition to the D-line. K. Grissett, S. Davis and C. Roundtree exhibited great athleticism and a nose for the ball on D. Jonathan Langston's highlight clips showed that the kid can flat lay the wood on opposing players. X. Montague and H. Smith highlights show that these guys have a motor that never stops running on the D-line. J. Harris, A. Sargent and J. Harrill look to have the size and skills to provide excellent depth to the O-line. Highlight tape on J. Dunaway, X. Armstrong and M. Goods show that these guys will also be contributors early and impact players in their careers at GWU.

The coaching staff is to be commended. It sounds and looks like they identified needs and were able to hit on those needs with this recruiting class. That's not always the case as sometimes you miss on a recruit or two that you really wanted. Only time will tell how this year's recruits will contribute but the returning talent is good and with one more year of experience have the potential to make this the best season at GWU in the last few years. I believe the coaching staff senses the opportunity for a special season. Good to see all you other Dawg parents last weekend. Looking forward to the opener with Mars Hill Sept. 5.

GREAT RIVER DAWG
March 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
The word on the "street" is that the GWU spring game, (scheduled for last Saturday), is being played right now. (Tues. March 31, 2:00p.m.)