PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb Spring Practice Update

EagleDawg
March 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM
First of all it was great to finally meet the Sargent's, Dunaway's and Browning's today at the GWU intra-squad scrimmage. EagleDawg, Jr, GWU Recruit Jeff Harris was there as well. Each of these four young men along with the other seven young men in the 09 recruiting class look set to make significant contributions over their careers to a program that without doubt is on the rise.

Secondly, it was confirmed that Sr. linebacker, Mario Brown did receive his medical redshirt year from the NCAA and will return as part of an outstandiing linebacking group. Also, DB Chris James has recovered from his broken leg injury and is set to go. Other than transfer lineman Austin Osment who is still on track after off-season knee surgery, the Bulldogs were healthy as a team with only a couple of guys missing time today as a result of minor dings.

In today's intra-squad scrimmage, the offense looked sharp, especially early hitting on several long pass plays and breaking some quality medium to long runs. The skill players have the ability to hit the big plays and score quickly. The OL as a group performed well with just a few missed blocks out of 60 plays or so but they are sure to welcome the incoming OL recruits who will provide needed depth. QB;s Doolittle and Rock threw the ball well and were impressive with several nice runs. The Defense looked a bit rusty early in the scrimmage but came on well in the middle to late stages with several bone jarring hits and good coverage in the secondary. The DL busted thru on 6 plays or so putting good pressue on the QB's. Barring a calamity of injuries, the 09 Bulldogs will challenge for the Big South crown. The incoming recruiting class provides depth at positions where depth was a concern, especially along both lines. All in all a good day. The current players came over after the scrimmage and spent some time with the new guys and introduced themselves to the dad's of the new recruits. These guys are great ambassadors for GWU. The coaching staff I believe knows they have a shot at a special season so there is reason for optimism for the Dawgs.

We look forward to seeing the rest of the recruits and their families at next Saturdays Spring Game. Let's hope the weather is good for what should be a great day to kick things off for all of the new pups.xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

GREAT RIVER DAWG
March 21st, 2009, 05:15 PM
thanks for the update!!

britt
March 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
The spring practice sounds promising, were either James or Brown able to play in the scrimmage. I was told that brown might be moved to an Defensive End position. What position did he play during the scrimmage?

EagleDawg
March 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
britt - Both Brown and James participated in the scrimmage. Brown played at inside linebacker. Comng off of the knee surgery, he looked like his knee tightened up a bit by the end of the scrimmage but I would think that's expected. With only a few more spring practice sessions to go, he will have the rest of this spring and summer to continue to strengthen it and should be good to go by the fall.

britt
March 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Eagle I think it will be great defensely to have both of them back this year, especially since Cook will be graduating at the Safety position and with Brown back and Patterson step up big time last season.

britt
March 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
sorry misspelled stepped

elcid83
March 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Eagle,

Thanks for the update. The Smiths are looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

g-webb1994
March 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Good report. Hope y'all have fun next Saturday, wish I could be there, but the trout in the Gulf await!:)