PDA

View Full Version : Running or Passing?

Cobblestone
March 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Without being too specific and giving away game plans xsmiley_wix ...

In your opinion, do you think your offense will be more pass oriented or run oriented this season? Do you think it will be balanced and strictly situational?

I think we'll probably have more of a passing offense. Our WR corps looks to be pretty solid. We have WR's like Leonard and Johnson-Farrell who are good deep threats. Although our QB situation is not determined yet, I have to think that the nod will go to Stefkovich. I watched him play some last season and he has a strong arm and should be able to reach those guys on long routes. To the best of my knowledge he's the only QB we have who took a snap last year other than Cassidy. Hopefully Casey can bounce back to 100% and we can have a solid running game to balance things out a bit.

Bottom line, I think we'll put up a good number of passing yards and points this season.

GO RHODY!

BEAR
March 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
UCA used to be a pass happy team not long ago but CC has decided to create a balance of pass and run in recent years. He believes that a balanced offense is the deadliest because the threat can come from either aspect. Sounds great to me! :D

McTailGator
March 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM

In your opinion, do you think your offense will be more pass oriented or run oriented this season? Do you think it will be balanced and strictly situational?

I think we'll probably have more of a passing offense. Our WR corps looks to be pretty solid. We have WR's like Leonard and Johnson-Farrell who are good deep threats. Although our QB situation is not determined yet, I have to think that the nod will go to Stefkovich. I watched him play some last season and he has a strong arm and should be able to reach those guys on long routes. To the best of my knowledge he's the only QB we have who took a snap last year other than Cassidy. Hopefully Casey can bounce back to 100% and we can have a solid running game to balance things out a bit.

Bottom line, I think we'll put up a good number of passing yards and points this season.

GO RHODY!

Balance is the name of the game at McNeese.

We have been about 50-50 over the past few years or so, and I would think that will continue. But we graduated 2 top receciers last year and have a stud Sr. running back that has emerged, so I would bet we will tend to lean a bit stronger on the run this year, but we should still have some big play capability on the WR corp that started to show last year.

DFW HOYA
March 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Passing? At Georgetown?

Seriously, Georgetown needs an offense that looks beyond the shotgun draw, but with its small o-line, it's not been possible. It was 114th in total offense last season with 4.6 yards per attempt. Passing defense needs to be improved.

RichH2
March 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Lehigh has started to return to its pass1st run 2nd O that has been so successful in the past . I would expect while coach may aim for even split, passing will dominate

Dawg2Rhody
March 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
I think we will will see Chris P Etinene under center for Rhody. Has D1 exp. and is getting good reviews from workouts.

GO RHODY!

Gil Dobie
March 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
My best guess is NDSU will probably be 60 percent rushing 40 percent passing

Tribe4SF
March 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Last year W&M rushed 359 times, and threw 356 times. Expect the same balance this year.

TheValleyRaider
March 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Last season Colgate rushed for 3,212 yards, and passed for 1,786, which even for us is heavily run-oriented. Hopefully a better receiving corps and improved passing from Sullivan will allow us to get more balance, though as long as Biddle is there, the run game will be our bread and butter

clenz
March 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
UNI will probably be around the 2.25/1 run/pass ratio they were at last year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM
We will be throwing the ball 40-50 times a game this year. Times sure have changed at GSU.

Ivytalk
March 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Pretty well balanced, but edge to the passing game at Harvard.

SideLine Shooter
March 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM
I am not sure, but I think at App you will be seeing a LOT of Armanti!xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
March 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Andy Talley loves to air the ball out.. but i have a feeling we'll grind it out again this year.. Hopefully Whitney improves his passing.

jstclmet
March 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM
"Unstoppable"!!!!!

I'm not giving away anything you won't see on the field. First and foremost our O-Line is massive and nasty. In fact, we don't have enough positions. Some of the guys will have to be on the 2nd team that would clearly start for other programs.

Our RB's are deep, the WR corp is very talented, and we have 2 starting QB's. Like I said with the O-Line, not enough positions for all of the talent we have.

Defensively, we're not as deep. At least, not yet. We lost some talented players to graduation. With the offense being so good, and will undoubtedly score quickly a lot of the times, I'm concerned the defense will be on the field a lot. The lack of depth really worries me here. I'm expecting a lot of "Bend but don't break" philosophy here. But, we'll see as it plays itself out.

Did I say the offense will be 'UNSTOPPABLE"???

GeauxLions94
March 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
We will be throwing the ball 40-50 times a game this year. Times sure have changed at GSU.

In the Eagle heyday, you guys probably didn't throw it 40-50 times in a season :p

PaladinFan
March 21st, 2009, 11:26 PM
Furman has to have a return of the running game in 2009 to be successful. The Paladin blue collar running style was notably absent when shifting to more of a spread look. However, with a veritable army of good running backs and a commitment from Coach Lamb, I'd imagine Furman's #1 priority is getting back to running basics.

GOKATS
March 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM
Tough call, passing game sucked last year with the top two QB's going down with injuries and a so-so receiving corps. RB Crawford was a huge part of the Cats offense last year, but he's done.

Good news is both QB's will again be healthy by fall (one got a full go ahead for spring ball), there is potentially a much stronger receiving squad, and despite losing Crawford I think we're ok with the RB's. Coach Ash likes to run the spread and I'd guess that if the QB/receivers work out I'd go with 60/40 passing game.

So far the Cats only got in 2 spring practices before spring break (the third was cancelled due to really cold, windy conditions, as was the second), but after a week off they resume spring ball on Monday.

ngineer
March 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
Lehigh has started to return to its pass1st run 2nd O that has been so successful in the past . I would expect while coach may aim for even split, passing will dominate

I agree that Coen will aim to run a balanced attack, but the pass my get a little edge. I see a 55/45 ratio. A lot will depend on how good the new WRs step up this spring and how well Jaren Walker is recovered at TB and the development of Fitz.

slostang
March 22nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
Cal Poly runs the triple option but passes more than most TO teams. They averaged 181 yards of passing to go along with 306 rushing in 2008. That was with Dally throwing the ball to Ramses Barden. Both graduate and we have a new head coach and offensive coordinator. Walsh has said they will run the triple option again in 2009, but I would imagine they might run it a little more without Barden.

JohnStOnge
March 22nd, 2009, 05:46 AM
To be specific:

McNeese rushed the ball 44 times per game for an average of 228 yards and passed it 28 times per game for an average of 236 yards.

Redwyn
March 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
While Stony Brook does have a 3 star QB JC transfer to compete for playing time and compliment what was a decent passing offense this year, Eddie Gowins and a big offensive line makes me believe that SBU will be a majority rushing offense this year. Probably a 60/40 split.

BEAR
March 22nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
To be specific:

McNeese rushed the ball 44 times per game for an average of 228 yards and passed it 28 times per game for an average of 236 yards.

That's pretty interesting. UCA averaged 33 passes per game with av. 282 yds. and rushed 37 times a game with av. 155 per game. Never thought I'd see a year when the Bears would outrush their own pass game! Especially with a pretty good QB like Brown. Balance really has been the focus of Conque recently. I'm most impressed with his determination to build the defense. That will be the SLC killa this year! xthumbsupxxlolx

Seawolf97
March 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
I would expect StonyBrook to come out running in 2009. With 2- 1000 yard backs in Ed Gowins and Conte Cutino returning there is no reason they shouldnt be run oriented. It should be an interesting year.

UAalum72
March 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Albany averaged 200 ypg rushing and 162 passing last year. All but the #3 WR of the so-called 'skill position' players return. They lost the starting TE and three O-linemen, so it will depend on how the new line meshes. The returning non-starting lettermen only average about 275, a lot less than what was lost, but some of the redshirt freshmen and recruits have more size (one of them listed at 6-2, 350).

MplsBison
March 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'll be interested to see what Vigen (newly promoted OC...was passing game coord last year) will do.

He's said that with being in the upper midwest we will always have access to big OL that will dominate in the running game, so we're always going to be a running team.

Honestly, I would like for us to start inching closer to a 50-50 run/pass split vs. the 60/40 that was typical of Perles offensive football.

Running the ball every 1st and 2nd down gets old... Then you're forced into the 5 step drop pass, which was very sketchy for us last season. Our 3 step, quick routes weren't bad though.

We also only have one starting quality fullback on the roster. I wonder if we'll see more 2TE or 3 WR sets?

Kill'em
March 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
In the Eagle heyday, you guys probably didn't throw it 40-50 times in a season :p

WE used to run the ball 60+ plays a game. Now we might have that many passing plays. While I love the option, if Coach Hatcher's offense can help us win games, I don't care what the offense does as long as they score.

Jackman
March 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
It's tough to say, because UMass's new head coach will be installing an all-HB Option Pass Offense.

paward
March 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Richmond will always be run first, throw second. With a deep and talented receiving core we may throw more. Our offensive line will be more experienced so the run game may be a safe bet.

mikebigg
March 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Coach Broadway is a defensive coach...but still likes putting points on the board (ie, he's flexible) but the numbers seem to indicate he's run oriented. Plus our qb, Greg Dillon is a breakaway threat when he pulls it down and dashes!

FIRST DOWNS 213

Rushing 111
Passing 83
Penalty 19

RUSHING YARDAGE 2044

Yards gained rushing 2657
Yards lost rushing 613
Rushing Attempts 564
Average Per Rush 3.6
Average Per Game 157.2
TDs Rushing 13

PASSING YARDAGE 1983

Att-Comp-Int 308-167-8
Average Per Pass 6.4
Average Per Catch 11.9
Average Per Game 152.5
TDs Passing 23
TOTAL OFFENSE 4027
Total Plays 872
Average Per Play 4.6
Average Per Game 309.8

JohnStOnge
March 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
UCA averaged 33 passes per game with av. 282 yds. and rushed 37 times a game with av. 155 per game. Never thought I'd see a year when the Bears would outrush their own pass game! Especially with a pretty good QB like Brown.

Well, what you can see from that is that even though UCA had more rushing attempts than passing attempts a substantial preponderance of the yardage came via the passing game. It'll be interesting to see what happens in 2009 with Brown gone.

Seven Would Be Nice
March 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Running. We are returning to the triple option for next year. Please notify all of your defensive coordinators immediately.

xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

phoenixphanatic21
March 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
We have a new offensive coordinator next year and I'd imagine we'll be more of a passing team than a running team. With Riddle and Hudgins as well as a good crop of young receivers, it seems to be the right move. Though we also have some good RBs as well. Brandon Newsome really surprised me with how well he did last year. The problem last year was at times we would focus too much on trying to run the ball and went away from our original bread and butter - passing (particularly screens to receivers. By the end of the year, we seemed to throw that play out of our playbook). I look forward to a more wide-open, sling the ball offense next year.

813Jag
March 27th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Southern is more of a passing team averaging 271 yards per game (1st in the league), they averaged 143 rushing (good for 3rd in the league and was their highest in some time). Most of their runs come from the QB. (He was the leading rusher on the team and 7th in the conference)

DLS
March 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
as far as armanti is concerned i think he'll be throwing much more this season but our RB depth is too ridiculous to not run the ball. so probably more of the same type of offense just less armanti running.

phoenix3
March 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Elon has been moving toward more of a balanced attack. However, so far Lembo has not done anything as expected since he's been here. We will certainly have the talent to strike rapidly and assuming progression from last year, we should also have the ability to grind it out on the ground.

Once again, the question will be the defense more than the offense.

lionsrking2
March 27th, 2009, 10:29 AM
For the Lions, the temptation will be the throw it 70-75% of the time, given we have a veteran three-year starter returning at QB and an outstanding group of WRs...we'll definitely throw it but look for more balance and more of a direct, smash-mouth style running attack...offensive line is much improved and more physical, plus we'll have a deeper stable of running backs, even without Jay Lucas.

93henfan
March 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I looked over KC Keeler's shoulder at the playbook during practice and can say with absolute certainty that Delaware will pass 58.263% of the time and run 41.737%. So let it be written.

jmufan999
March 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM
i haven't read any responses from JMU fans because i don't agree with many of them about our strategy next year. i'll read a few (assuming there are some) after i post.

i really don't think our heavy running offense is going to change MUCH. last year we were about 70-30 in favor of running, maybe 75-25. couple of reasons for that:

1.) we had a very talented running QB (Landers) with outstanding athleticism and power
2.) Landers was a below average passer (this is actually being kind. i know JMU fans hate hearing this, but it's a freaking fact. perfect example was end of the first half against Delaware, also did not pass well in the playoffs). so we played to RL's strengths... running.

we (JMU fans) don't know for sure who the starter will be, but most tend to think it will be Drew Dudzik. you may remember some plays from the second half of the Montana semifinal, after RL left the game. Dudzik is actually a hair quicker than Landers. he is very athletic, but not on the same "game-breaking" level that RL is. he has a significantly smaller frame, so we don't know about durability yet. arm strength? i'm not really sure, can't comment yet. his accuracy is noticeably better than RL.

look, we haven't had a problem at the QB position since before 2004, you could argue even further back than that. if you're asking me what kind of offense we're going to have? i'd say it would look similar to Villanova's 2008 offense (early in the year, not late). meaning... 2 QB's splitting time, somewhat balanced. that's what i'm guessing. maybe 60-40 in favor of running. that's kind of balanced.

mcveyrl
March 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
i haven't read any responses from JMU fans because i don't agree with many of them about our strategy next year. i'll read a few (assuming there are some) after i post.

i really don't think our heavy running offense is going to change MUCH. last year we were about 70-30 in favor of running, maybe 75-25. couple of reasons for that:

1.) we had a very talented running QB (Landers) with outstanding athleticism and power
2.) Landers was a below average passer (this is actually being kind. i know JMU fans hate hearing this, but it's a freaking fact. perfect example was end of the first half against Delaware, also did not pass well in the playoffs). so we played to RL's strengths... running.

we (JMU fans) don't know for sure who the starter will be, but most tend to think it will be Drew Dudzik. you may remember some plays from the second half of the Montana semifinal, after RL left the game. Dudzik is actually a hair quicker than Landers. he is very athletic, but not on the same "game-breaking" level that RL is. he has a significantly smaller frame, so we don't know about durability yet. arm strength? i'm not really sure, can't comment yet. his accuracy is noticeably better than RL.

look, we haven't had a problem at the QB position since before 2004, you could argue even further back than that. if you're asking me what kind of offense we're going to have? i'd say it would look similar to Villanova's 2008 offense (early in the year, not late). meaning... 2 QB's splitting time, somewhat balanced. that's what i'm guessing. maybe 60-40 in favor of running. that's kind of balanced.

I agree with everything except the ratio. I think it will be more in the 65-35 or 70-30, but wouldn't be surprised with 60-40.

The only reason I differ on the ratio is that even the three years before Landers were heavy on the run:

2006 493-237 (67.5% run)
2005 486-225 (68.3% run)
2004 753-314 (70.5% run)

With Landers

2007 595-214 (73.5% run)
2008 689-219 (75.9% run)

The years before Rascati were a little more balanced, but my guess is that Mickey sees the two possible QBs as able to continue the above trend. Also, without going game by game, we were probably playing from behind in a few of those pre-Rascati games.

skinny_uncle
March 30th, 2009, 10:46 AM
At SIU, it should be a balanced attack. In the days of coach Kill, we emphasized the run, but Lennon has brought a little different philosophy to Carbondale. A balanced attack is what he has historically had wherever he coached, so I expect things to be that way next year, too.

89Hen
March 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Run v Pass at UD under Keeler....

2008: 444 - 300
2007: 602 - 532
2006: 345 - 420
2005: 460 - 326
2004: 564 - 449
2003: 753 - 404
2002: 535 - 328

Tubby's last year...
2001: 445 - 182 xeyebrowx

crabby terrier
March 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
ummm...let me see...ummm...i think wofford will run , run some more and then run some more...just a guess.xsmiley_wix