PDA

View Full Version : any outsider opinions on GSU's coaching???

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM
www.tscsports.com

And so the civil war begins...the fans are even madder than they were when we finished 7-4 in '03 and didn't make the playoffs. Some of our fans seem to think Sewak can walk on water some weeks...other weeks, he is a disgrace. There is going to be complaining and moaning for a while now...

I want to hear what everyone else thinks, for those of you who watched it on TV.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 09:09 PM
www.tscsports.com

And so the civil war begins...the fans are even madder than they were when we finished 7-4 in '03 and didn't make the playoffs. Some of our fans seem to think Sewak can walk on water some weeks...other weeks, he is a disgrace. There is going to be complaining and moaning for a while now...

I want to hear what everyone else thinks, for those of you who watched it on TV.

I think your fan base sucks, all you guys so is bitch when you lose and suck Sewak's dick when you win

you got beat by a better team, and they showed it in the 4th quarter

realize that you can't win the NC every freakin year

ask yourself this: would you have made this thread is they had won today?

bobcatfan06
November 26th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I think your fan base sucks, all you guys so is bitch when you lose and suck Sewak's dick when you win

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That makes my day. As arrogant as those Eggles are, they deserve everything they get.

Although, the fans that were at the game tonight, were very classy. It was much apreciated. Except for that one old dude who was talking smack for 3 Q's but shut up real fast in the 4th. :smiley_wi

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2005, 09:14 PM

ask yourself this: would you have made this thread is they had won today?

Better team?? No way...the freaking QB is the entire team. The falling down and dieing starting late in the 3rd quarter is what killed us. If it started right after half-time, yeah, I'd blame the coaches. I don't blame the coaches, and of course that puts me in the minority.

And the only reason I am making this thread is that there was such a large tsunami of angry posters, the forums have been completely shut down and have gone into "view only" mode...

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 26th, 2005, 09:15 PM
www.tscsports.com

i think your coaching is great. now, some of the decisions made at the very end of the game were undoubtedly questionable but, the coaching's play calling (i felt) was very good all day. you had the Texas State defense guessing all night. your guys called passes in the exact right spot. near the end of the game, your coaches playcalling got a bit conservative. but, that's something to expect from a team that was up by 19 (i also think it had a little to do with the Texas State defense). Other than the trick play at the end, I thought it was a pretty good game by your coaching staff. Don't go too hard on the guy--from what i understand, you guys were playing alot of young boys. coaching can only get you so far. but, i know those six national championships have you guys expecting more--which is very rational. you guys will be very good from years to come. if he's not the coach to take/keep you there, then good luck finding a good one.

that offense you guys have is truly something. do alot of high schools in georgia run the triple option? i know some of our smaller schools in texas (including the one i went to) run different versions of the triple option. what areas do you guys recruit?

anyways, great game.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 26th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I think when teams panic in the playoffs, it is a reflection on the coach. GSU has now panicked inthe playoffs for a few years straight.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2005, 09:16 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That makes my day. As arrogant as those Eggles are, they deserve everything they get.

Although, the fans that were at the game tonight, were very classy. It was much apreciated. Except for that one old dude who was talking smack for 3 Q's but shut up real fast in the 4th. :smiley_wi

I bet the handful of bobcat fans that were certain they'd completely shut down our O because our players were small feel stupid too...

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Better team?? No way...the freaking QB is the entire team. The falling down and dieing starting late in the 3rd quarter is what killed us. If it started right after half-time, yeah, I'd blame the coaches. I don't blame the coaches, and of course that puts me in the minority.

And the only reason I am making this thread is that there was such a large tsunami of angry posters, the forums have been completely shut down and have gone into "view only" mode...

ok, well, then one guy beat your whole defense, that make you feel better? xazzx

golionsgo
November 26th, 2005, 09:20 PM
www.tscsports.com

I thought you guys got beat by a better football team today and good coaching may have actually given you a chance to win. Your defense was downright horrid and had Texas State not had the bubble guts early on, they might not have ever punted.

The only complaint I had with Sewak was late in the game when he wanted a timeout with the camera panned right on him. He kept signaling politely to the official for something like 10 or 12 seconds and never got animated enough to get the official's attention. Didn't look like a take charge guy at all to me.

mainejeff
November 26th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I think when teams panic in the playoffs, it is a reflection on the coach. GSU has now panicked inthe playoffs for a few years straight.

Amen SunCoast. You A-10ers are smart people.

gsu6trophies
November 26th, 2005, 09:48 PM
There is no doubt that Sewak led teams choke under pressure, unless it's against furman. Texas St. was definitely a Hell of a team. They should be with 27 seniors, and from what I could tell, several transfers. The QB was good, but how many times did he throw to wide open recievers? And to think just two years ago they fired Erk Russell's son because the defense gave up too many points. I don't think Sewak is a bad guy, but he apparently doesn't have it in him to motivate a team to win under adverse conditions. How do you give a 19 point lead so quickly?

dirtbag
November 26th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I bet the handful of bobcat fans that were certain they'd completely shut down our O because our players were small feel stupid too...

Yeah, they're all sitting around feeling stupid right now.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

bobcatfan06
November 26th, 2005, 11:21 PM

Are you serious?? You just sound like a sore loser to me. I haven't heard you congratulate us on our win or anything. You just bitch that ya'll lost the game, we didn't win it. BTW, I never thought we would shut down your O. I knew ya'll would get your points. Ya'll played a hell of a game and we played like crap for 3 Qs. Everyone else here ,besides you GSU fans, think the better team won today, and I'm pretty sure they all watched the same game you and I did. Just be a man, congratulate us, and hopefully we will see you next year. :beerchug:

GannonFan
November 26th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I think Texas St was better than GSU, but the knock I have on Sewak is that he doesn't seem to be able to put together any classic-type GSU teams. The past 3 years have seen really less-than stellar GSU teams, and while GSu could've won this game with a good effort (Texas St isn't a really good defensive team against this offense) GSU seems to have no killer instinct and just aren't a good defensive team. GSU, right now, is a shell of their glory days and, I'm afraid, with Sewak at the helm they will be. Looks like a repeat of the Stower days all over again.

ngineer
November 26th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I went to dinner at halftime---and as of that moment, GSU was impressive. Especially the TD pass that TS wasn't ready for. Unfortunately, I never saw the second half. Wow... :eek:

GSUBass
November 26th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I'm going to come out and say it...Texas St. didn't win this game. we gave it to you on a silver platter in the fourth quarter. I'm biased, I'm allowed to have an opinion. So there. I'm pissed off that my team lost. Especially since they were up 3 scores with just the 4th quarter left.

Gannon-Fan, you are right. Unless it's a lower level SoCon team, we don't have that killer instinct anymore. Same thing happened with New Hampshire last season. We go up, and the play calling turns to just eat up clock, not put the final nail in the coffin. The momentum turns, and next thing we know, GSU is headed home from the playoffs early. We haven't won a playoff game since 2002.

Texas State, ya'll won, congrats, good luck with the rest of the playoffs, but I hope Cal Poly runs over ya'll next wek.

Now it's time to turn towards basketball and baseball.

I can't believe I let myself get this worked up over football, this week at work is going to go by so slowly just because I don't have a game to pay attention to next saturday.

gsu6trophies
November 26th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I think Texas St was better than GSU, but the knock I have on Sewak is that he doesn't seem to be able to put together any classic-type GSU teams. The past 3 years have seen really less-than stellar GSU teams, and while GSu could've won this game with a good effort (Texas St isn't a really good defensive team against this offense) GSU seems to have no killer instinct and just aren't a good defensive team. GSU, right now, is a shell of their glory days and, I'm afraid, with Sewak at the helm they will be. Looks like a repeat of the Stower days all over again.

couldn't say it better. It's just time for a mutual break-up between The Eagles and Sewak

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I did not agree with his decision to go for it on 4th and one from deep in his own territory trailing by (I think) 3 with about 4 minutes left. They were still very much in the game. Punt the ball and play defense. All you need is a field goal to get it into overtime and if you get it into overtime I like your chances with that option offense.

I don't blame him for the interception of the lateral on the kickoff. You have to hope your player doesn't throw it if there's a Texas State guy standing right by the guy you're lateraling to.

I think that one thing that happened is that Texas State started making plays. The Bobcats failed to capitalize on a number of penetrations deep into GSU territory earlier in the game but they (primarily Nealy) were able to move it throughout. I thought their coach made some questionable calls of his own as GSU showed it could stuff the Bobcats' run in short yardage but he kept trying to do it instead of putting it in Nealy's hands with run/pass option.

Also as the game went on I think Texas State became more accustomed to GSU's offense. The reason GSU had the big lead to begin with is that the Eagles shocked the Cats early with some big pass plays. It looked like they took that sort of thing away later as GSU tried some play action but the QB had to pull the ball down.

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I saw GSU only twice... vs N'eastern and Texas St... both times the Eagle's offense looked good... certainly good enough... but their defense was another story. Pass defense in particular was dreadful (like UD's). There appears to be a lot of talent coming back on offense... but if the GSU 'D' doesn't make major improvements... there will be no return to the ole glory days in Statesboro.

Uncle Buck
November 27th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I agree with JohnStOnge, I was amazed at GSU going for it on 4th down while they were inside their part of the field. It was way too early at that point if you ask me, kick it away and play defense. As for the Texas St. QB, he looked both good and bad at times. There were times yesterday when i said man, this kid would be great to have in the Hofstra offense, then other times when it looked as though he made some really poor decisions. Bottom line is GSU let the cats regain momentum and then couldn't stop the slide. It happens. Either way, a great game to watch if you didn;t bail out when the leas was at 19.

McNeese75
November 27th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Question for the GSU Fans:

If you fire your current head coach, who is your choice to replace him? Seems to me a good coach with knowledge of your offense would not be an easy find.

catamount man
November 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Even though GSU drilled us 45-7 back in October, they are SO not the same GSU team from years past. You'd best get rid of Sewak...now! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Baldy
November 27th, 2005, 01:29 PM
At the beginning of the season, a trip into the 2nd round would have been a better than expected season to me. But after that monumental meltdown of epic proportions yesterday, this staff needs to have a serious "come to Jesus" meeting.

This team will be absolutely stacked next season. Anything less than an outright SoCon championship and trip to Chattanooga will not be acceptable....IMO.

gsu6trophies
November 27th, 2005, 03:57 PM

If you fire your current head coach, who is your choice to replace him? Seems to me a good coach with knowledge of your offense would not be an easy find.

I don't know, but there are other teams that run this offense or one similar to it.
Pate is always a possibility imo.

eaglesrthe1
November 27th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Seriously, you need to flash back about 12 months ago and read some of the fans opinions on the App St boards, then fast forward to now, and read some more.

Congrats to Tx St. Huge gut check.

GSU will be fine. The O will only improve for the next two years. Next year there will be no learning curve like this year. Which means that the chances for a better record...thus home field advantage will improve. Foster will be even more dangerous as he matures and gains even more experience in the passing game.

I think that we will see some changes in the defensive coaching staff.

dirtbag
November 27th, 2005, 05:22 PM

GSU seems to have Alabama Syndrome:

1. They went through a period of amazing dominance, and still revere the coach who led them as almost a religious figure.

2. They still expect to be that good.

And it has always puzzled me how those two things can go together. I mean, if Bear Bryant was that great, how can you expect Alabama to be that good without him?

eaglesrthe1
November 27th, 2005, 06:05 PM
When speaking of amazing dominance, GSU is a repeat offender.

blackfordpu
November 27th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Very questionable defense play calling in the fourth. Seemed to protect the lead, not try to get the ball and build it up.

There is one thing that suprised me about the game. I never thought I would say the phrase,

"He intercepted a pass on the kick off return."

That suprised me. :eek: :eek:

dirtbag
November 27th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Very questionable defense play calling in the fourth. Seemed to protect the lead, not try to get the ball and build it up.

There is one thing that suprised me about the game. I never thought I would say the phrase,

"He intercepted a pass on the kick off return."

That suprised me. :eek: :eek:

Disagree about the defensive play calling -- they were blitzing someone different on every play. TSU did a great job at adjusting.

I never expected an INT on a kick return, but how is that the coaches' fault? The kid has to look before he throws it...

soweagle
November 27th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Disagree about the defensive play calling -- they were blitzing someone different on every play. TSU did a great job at adjusting.

I never expected an INT on a kick return, but how is that the coaches' fault? The kid has to look before he throws it...

I agree and disagree with you dirtbag.

I agree we blitzed too much at the end and left corners to cover alone too much. I disagree about the int on the kick return. While the kid should have never thrown the ball the call should have never been called with 3 1/2 minutes left in the game. You call that when the game is under a minute IMHO.

edit- Bear Bryant reference to GSU is pretty accurate. Tough shoes to fill for Coach Sewak. I'm not ready to fire him but I'm starting to question.

dirtbag
November 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I disagree about the int on the kick return. While the kid should have never thrown the ball the call should have never been called with 3 1/2 minutes left in the game. You call that when the game is under a minute IMHO.

Weren't they down 10 at that point?

That's a desperation play -- if you're down by a score, you do that in the final minute (Hey to the Tennessee Titans), but especially with GSU's passing game, down 10 with 3 minutes is desperation time, IMO.

I thought the more questionable call was the 4th down when they were down 3. I thought they should have punted, but hey, if you're going to go, I give my best player a chance -- I'd have run the option with a particular hint to leave the ball in the belly of the human bowling ball that's my fullback.

November 27th, 2005, 11:11 PM
hey gsu, there is a coach out there who knows the triple option and is a great defensive coach. ask mcneese and texas state.....he is located at nicholls state. gave furman all they wanted with a smaller team. the best coaching job in 1AA and will probably get over looked because of the school. great games saturday looking forward to this saturday.

JohnStOnge
November 28th, 2005, 05:42 AM
GSU seems to have Alabama Syndrome:

1. They went through a period of amazing dominance, and still revere the coach who led them as almost a religious figure.

2. They still expect to be that good.

And it has always puzzled me how those two things can go together. I mean, if Bear Bryant was that great, how can you expect Alabama to be that good without him?

Georgia Southern was great under two coaches. Erk Russel won three national titles and Paul Johnson won two. Also, Tim Stowers won one.

I know GSU fans will tell you Stowers was living off Russel's talent but, still, it's a program that's had three different coaches win national titles and the program's only been around for a smidgen over 20 years. It's not like Alabama and Bear Bryant.

SuperEagle
November 28th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Not true. You seem to have the market covered on oral sex w/men.
Very classy post pal. Wow. If I were the mod you would be gone in a second. Filth. Tell me you're just a young punk kid who's maybe 18? Surely an adult wouldn't be so juvenille.

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 08:50 AM
At the beginning of the season, a trip into the 2nd round would have been a better than expected season to me. But after that monumental meltdown of epic proportions yesterday, this staff needs to have a serious "come to Jesus" meeting.

This team will be absolutely stacked next season. Anything less than an outright SoCon championship and trip to Chattanooga will not be acceptable....IMO.

ASU will also be stacked too, and outside on Ingle I'm not sure what Furman loses from this year. Either way, the key to the Eagles season will be the recovery of your defense, whch has been an embarassment by GSU standards the last few years. We all know Foster will be deadly, though I am interested who will replace Austin at FB and Craft at wideout. But the reason the GSU teams in the late 90's and early 2000's were so scary was their defense, which was quietly one of the better overall units in I-AA.

OL FU
November 28th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I was about to say something similar. I know wait until next year gets old. But the Eagles should be willing to wait. I can't see the 2006 edition being anything but scary.

soweagle
November 28th, 2005, 08:59 AM
ASU will also be stacked too, and outside on Ingle I'm not sure what Furman loses from this year. Either way, the key to the Eagles season will be the recovery of your defense, whch has been an embarassment by GSU standards the last few years. We all know Foster will be deadly, though I am interested who will replace Austin at FB and Craft at wideout. But the reason the GSU teams in the late 90's and early 2000's were so scary was their defense, which was quietly one of the better overall units in I-AA.

Paschall will probably replace Austin. Redshirt freshman this year. Has great high school numbers, how that pans out to college ball I have no idea. Craft will be a senior next year. ASU and Furman lose their qb's but both return good running backs, while GSU loses their fullback but return the qb. Should be an interesting SoCon next season.

OL FU
November 28th, 2005, 09:00 AM

In my opinion's FU's biggest losses will be on the front line (both guards and center). We lose two of our three tailbacks. and a couple of receivers. Obviously, Ingle.

Offensively, we will be closer to old Furman schemes, More option than we have seen in the last couple of years.

Defensively, we lose two ( I think ). They are big ones - Ravenel and Freeman. But I actually think the defense will be back to normal next year. Experience will change much.

We will still have enough to be top three in the SoCon, but it will be far from a given. So if someone else is going to slide in the top three next year is the the year bump Furman out. After that watch out :D

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Paschall will probably replace Austin. Redshirt freshman this year. Has great high school numbers, how that pans out to college ball I have no idea. Craft will be a senior next year. ASU and Furman lose their qb's but both return good running backs, while GSU loses their fullback but return the qb. Should be an interesting SoCon next season.

If Foster can really hone his passing game some, then he could be a real threat with Craft next year. How's your defense?

As for our QB spot, we lose Williams, but Elder is not too much of a drop off. He is a much better passer (especially with accuracy), and while he's not the running threat Richie is, he's a good enough runner that we'll be effective with the option game still. What I would bet we see less of are the designed runs for the QB next year, and more passing again. Our bigger loss will be finding someone to replace Hunter at one end to team up with Murrell. If we can find that, the defese will be real good. Without having two DE's to cause havoc, our schemes have struggled. We need that second DE.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
If Foster can really hone his passing game some, then he could be a real threat with Craft next year. How's your defense?

As for our QB spot, we lose Williams, but Elder is not too much of a drop off. He is a much better passer (especially with accuracy), and while he's not the running threat Richie is, he's a good enough runner that we'll be effective with the option game still. What I would bet we see less of are the designed runs for the QB next year, and more passing again. Our bigger loss will be finding someone to replace Hunter at one end to team up with Murrell. If we can find that, the defese will be real good. Without having two DE's to cause havoc, our schemes have struggled. We need that second DE.
Noted on another thread criticsim of William's passing in one game. Said he overthrew his man 3 diff times. Idiot didn't seem to notice the receiver was the closest one to being open, but wasn't. Williams put the ball exactly in the only place there was hope of him catching it without an interception. He's hit Bettis, Richardson and previously Little with perfectly placed passes this year. He's turned out to be one of the most accurate passers in ASU history. I've seen them all the way back to Pat Murphy in '68.
Hopefully we'll recruit some good OL's this year to give Elder the extra time he will need compared to Ritchie.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Seriously, you need to flash back about 12 months ago and read some of the fans opinions on the App St boards, then fast forward to now, and read some more.

Congrats to Tx St. Huge gut check.

GSU will be fine. The O will only improve for the next two years. Next year there will be no learning curve like this year. Which means that the chances for a better record...thus home field advantage will improve. Foster will be even more dangerous as he matures and gains even more experience in the passing game.

I think that we will see some changes in the defensive coaching staff.
I have to agree with you on that one. The App board was covered all winter, spring and fall with idiots calling for Moore's firing. Hell, Saturday, I sat 3 rows from 3 more idiots bitching at Moore when App was down by 3 pts. Finally the section I was in starting shouting at the idiots to shut up. They did shut up, kind of, when App put the Leopards away.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Not true. You seem to have the market covered on oral sex w/men.
Very classy post pal. Wow. If I were the mod you would be gone in a second. Filth. Tell me you're just a young punk kid who's maybe 18? Surely an adult wouldn't be so juvenille.

Ummhmm. Apparently the GSU forum doesn't have you as mod.

henfan
November 28th, 2005, 10:38 AM
It isn't Sewak's fault entirely. He's doing the best he can within the outmoded GSU system.

It seems that not many GSU fans realize that talent level in I-AA has increased so dramatically over the last 10 years. The coaching is more sophisticated. The recruiting is more national. The game is much faster. GSU hasn't adjusted. It's just that simple.

GSU can't expect to continue down the primrose path forever using the same formula that worked 5, 10, 15 years ago or else they are destined for these type of season-ending disappointments. If you ask me (and you didn't), it's high time for soul searching in Statesboro.

ChickenMan
November 28th, 2005, 10:44 AM
While I might agree that some of GSU's opponents are now much better equipped to handle the Eagle's option attack... GSU's problems this year were on the defensive side of the ball. If they had a better defense... they be getting ready to host Cal Poly this week.

FU97
November 28th, 2005, 10:53 AM

On defense, we only have 2 seniors (Freeman and Duncan) on the two deep. Both starters, Freeman being the biggest loss. That said, we are stacked at LB. Jones in the middle is just a Soph. Nelson at SLB is a Soph and we have a freshman who has played a lot in Williams. Lots of youth on the DL as well. Playing many R-Fr and true freshmen.

On offense we lose Martin, TE, #2 WR, 2 of the 3 RBs we normally use, and 3 of the OL. Not overly worried about QB as we have Gray who has experience and can step in at QB. WR isn't a big loss either as we have spread the passing around. TE is somewhat of a loss as I don't know what is behind him. The two RBs will hurt, but Gipson is back and we have some good freshmen that redshirted this year. I expect Felton and Gipson to get the majority of the carries next year. The OL losses will hurt, but we have experience behind them. Menochal has started a couple games at C when Stewart was out with injury.

FU97
November 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM
In my opinion's FU's biggest losses will be on the front line (both guards and center). We lose two of our three tailbacks. and a couple of receivers. Obviously, Ingle.

Offensively, we will be closer to old Furman schemes, More option than we have seen in the last couple of years.

Defensively, we lose two ( I think ). They are big ones - Ravenel and Freeman. But I actually think the defense will be back to normal next year. Experience will change much.

We will still have enough to be top three in the SoCon, but it will be far from a given. So if someone else is going to slide in the top three next year is the the year bump Furman out. After that watch out :D

Ravenel is a Junior. Unless he graduates and doesn't return he's back. Duncan is the other Senior on the defense.

blackfordpu
November 28th, 2005, 05:06 PM

I was just saying that it was a sentence I never thought I would say. :)

ChiefGSU275
November 28th, 2005, 06:20 PM
We all know Foster will be deadly, though I am interested who will replace Austin at FB and Craft at wideout.

Craft will be a senior next year. I have heard that there is a freshman that will step in for Austin, though not as good yet.

Defense and poor coaching decisions have been the downfall of the sewak era. Look at the Furman game last year. Down by 7, moving the ball, and we go for it on fourth down, by trying to run some sort of trick screen pass, all the while a Time-out is left on the board.

Last year against UNH, you have the same scenario that played out on saturday. A team that doesnt see GSU's offense ever comes in and cant stop us initially, and we go into halftime with a big lead. In the second half, the other team makes adjustments, we dont, and we are home after the first round.

We might be bitching and moaning about it, but we expect more at GSU. Are we unrealistic, maybe, but we are setting the standard for how to be THE dominant program in I-AA, and Sewak and staff are screwing that up.

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM
It isn't Sewak's fault entirely. He's doing the best he can within the outmoded GSU system.

It seems that not many GSU fans realize that talent level in I-AA has increased so dramatically over the last 10 years. The coaching is more sophisticated. The recruiting is more national. The game is much faster. GSU hasn't adjusted. It's just that simple.

GSU can't expect to continue down the primrose path forever using the same formula that worked 5, 10, 15 years ago or else they are destined for these type of season-ending disappointments. If you ask me (and you didn't), it's high time for soul searching in Statesboro.

Henfan is EXACTLY right....on all counts.

Now, Cap'n Cat took a fun road trip to GSU and saw them take down Furman, all the while gaining an appreciation for all that is Georgia Southern. He spent $132 in the bookstore on GSU stuff, hung around with Baldy, gsugt1, Eagle Gus and many others and had a great experience.

That said, it is, indeed, time for a change in Statesboro. Maybe everyone has figured you out? Henfan is correct, too, in saying that the rest of I-AA has caught up. Same thing is happening/will happen with Montana. It can't last forever. And GSU275's lament:

"We might be bitching and moaning about it, but we expect more at GSU. Are we unrealistic, maybe, but we are setting the standard for how to be THE dominant program in I-AA, and Sewak and staff are screwing that up."

Yeah, you're doing just that - bitching and moaning. And, you're likely unrealistic. You gotta come up with something different, maybe, to match the times. But....*****, you made the playoffs! Everyone, without exception, fears playing you! The coaches are, most defionitely NOT screwing it up. It's just a different world in I-AA. Tracy Ham is gone.

Deal with it. Adapt, adjust, overcome. What you DON'T want is to become like some of the Youngstown folks who are spoiled beyond repair and EXPECT a national championship every year. It ain't gonna happen. I met your coach after the game and he is a straight-up terrific guy who will continue to have success at GSU. Rally around your team and stop the whining.

My opinion only.

:eyebrow:

Grizo406
November 29th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Deal with it. Adapt, adjust, overcome.

HOPEFULLY, that's what the Griz will do next season. :eyebrow: :nod:

Mr. C
November 29th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Craft will be a senior next year. I have heard that there is a freshman that will step in for Austin, though not as good yet.

Defense and poor coaching decisions have been the downfall of the sewak era. Look at the Furman game last year. Down by 7, moving the ball, and we go for it on fourth down, by trying to run some sort of trick screen pass, all the while a Time-out is left on the board.

Last year against UNH, you have the same scenario that played out on saturday. A team that doesnt see GSU's offense ever comes in and cant stop us initially, and we go into halftime with a big lead. In the second half, the other team makes adjustments, we dont, and we are home after the first round.

We might be bitching and moaning about it, but we expect more at GSU. Are we unrealistic, maybe, but we are setting the standard for how to be THE dominant program in I-AA, and Sewak and staff are screwing that up.
For the sake of accuracy, Nicholls State runs the same offense as Georgia Southern (as does Rhode Island, Bucknell and Navy in D-IA). Texas State plays Nicholls State every year and the Colonels have run the same option attack for several seasons.

It's time to quit blaming the coaching staff for every loss. This was an Eagle team that was very young and had some big weaknesses on defense, particularly in the defensive line. When someone passes for 400 yards and you manage one sack ... You get my drift. Georgia Southern probably overachieved this year just to make the playoffs. The Eagles lost a couple of games they should have won, but also won a couple they probably should have lost. No team in this era of I-AA is going to win the championship every year. You may not even see a repeat champion again for some time. There is more parity than ever in I-AA and things are going to get even more like that in years to come. In the SoCon alone, you have Chattanooga rapidly improving and Western Carolina also made strides this year. Wofford will get a lot better as its young players mature and don't think that a great coach like Kevin Higgins at The Citadel won't make some big improvements there. He is the man that built Lehigh into the power it is in the Patriot League. Mike Sewak is a fine man and a fine, hard-working coach. If I had a son, I would have no reservations about letting Mike coach him. How many coaches do you think have a better record with their teams than Sewak has in the past four years. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I know it's a real short list. Even the best teams get upset some times. If they didn't, football would be pretty boring. Be glad that you have an excellent program and have earned the respect that you have. There is still a lot to be proud of at Georgia Southern, despite losing a tough game on Saturday.