PDA

View Full Version : Not a good day for SoCon

ravens
November 26th, 2005, 08:48 PM
None of our 3 looked particularly good today. Lets hope Furman and Appy play better next week. Meanwhile UNH looks plain scary.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2005, 08:57 PM
UNH has the easiset game out of everyone, except maybe ASU.

Furman looked good, they just need to reduce the turnovers. A win like that is pretty good considering a -3 turnover differential.

As for App State, I don't know what happened. Laff. is better than most people thought but still.

And GSU...well, I won't even go there except to say we proved for the millionth time that our offense is not to be taken likely just because they are undersized.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 08:58 PM
At the end of the day, 2 out of 3 ain't bad

SunCoastBlueHen
November 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
At the end of the day, 2 out of 3 ain't bad

Agreed! Two in the quarters ain't bad at all!

ravens
November 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
keeping an eye on the night game as Richmond tries to pick off onbeaten Hampton. Don't want to see A-10 win title again this year. They are already talking of being the best conference ( long our braggin rights ).

fuEMO
November 26th, 2005, 09:05 PM
All we heard going in to the FU/NSU game was how this would be a shootout.
The Furman D held NSU to 1 touchdown on a BS call on an off-sides. I feel like the Dins had a very good day.

Gooooooooo J-Train.

soweagle
November 26th, 2005, 09:32 PM
That was no bs call but rather a smart play by the qb.

golionsgo
November 26th, 2005, 09:34 PM
All we heard going in to the FU/NSU game was how this would be a shootout.
The Furman D held NSU to 1 touchdown on a BS call on an off-sides. I feel like the Dins had a very good day.

Gooooooooo J-Train.

That wasn't a BS call at all. Nicholls runs that play all the time and it works quite often. The QB give a hard count, if the d-line jumps, the center snaps the ball, the linemen don't move and they run a streak route with the split end. The fact that your defense stopped is part of the salesmanship of the play and it worked to perfection. The officials properly threw the flag for offsides and properly allowed the play to continue.

Appstate03
November 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Ill tell you what a BS call is. That "incomplete pass" from the Lafayette running back on the 1 yard line in the first half. Should have been a safety.

fuEMO
November 26th, 2005, 09:51 PM
That wasn't a BS call at all. Nicholls runs that play all the time and it works quite often. The QB give a hard count, if the d-line jumps, the center snaps the ball, the linemen don't move and they run a streak route with the split end. The fact that your defense stopped is part of the salesmanship of the play and it worked to perfection. The officials properly threw the flag for offsides and properly allowed the play to continue.

The BS was the refs whistle being blown, so Furman stopped, they did'n't even go out to cover the receivers. You way be right, but everyone posting on the UFFP and sitting around me during the game heard a whistle. Funny too that the farside linejudge threw the off-sides flag out of bounds on the NSU sideline.

ravens
November 26th, 2005, 09:58 PM

If thats the case then hats off to you...sure caught the Furman defense off guard.

catamount man
November 26th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Good luck to both Furman and App.State the rest of the way. Make us SoCon fans proud! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

hapapp
November 26th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Actually it would have been a touchback, not a safety. Though I thought it was an intentional pass--a trick play if you will.

Appstate03
November 26th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Sorry i meant touchback. I'm not completely with it

ravens
November 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Richmond destroys #2 undefeated Hampton 38-10. Gives the impression that A-10 and SoCon are much tougher A-II conferences than most. Both send 2 teams to next round. SoCon dominated division for years but A-10 is challengingthe last couple years. One head to head game next week with Furman at Richmond.
Richmond and UNH looked better than Furman and Appy today but we will see what next week brings. Furman has a 400 mile trip to get ready for.

eaglesrthe1
November 27th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Northeastern ran the same play on GSU in the first game this year. Went for a td.

MR. CHICKEN
November 27th, 2005, 09:35 PM
HMMM...........NOR'EASTER...SCARED DUH FEATHERAHS OFF DUH IGGLES IN OT...&....HOFSTRA TAKES DUH FURPLE TA OT............UH CELLAR DWELLAR......AN' UH RESPECTABLE 7-4........FROM DUH A-10.......DISSIN'.....DUH MONSTERS O' DUH SOGONE!..........SORRY RALPHIE.....AH KNOW DEY AIN'T DELAWARE.....:rotateh:....BRA-10WK!

yosef2002
November 27th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Congrats to all winners this week. It doesn’t matter how teams get the wins at this time of the year. With that said, I have to say that I watched the entire UNH game and I was not that impressed. This was the first time I got a chance to watch them play this year. I thought they did a good job against an inferior opponent in Colgate, but I think they will struggle against the better teams they are bound to face in later rounds. I know that sounds crazy to say that about a team that scored 55 points against another team that was good enough to win a conference championship, but again I just was not that impressed with the athletes on their team.

To tell you the truth, after watching the first half of the GSU game I would have been willing to bet they were going to be the team to beat. The way they came out and controlled the game by throwing the ball really impressed me.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 10:13 AM
None of our 3 looked particularly good today. Lets hope Furman and Appy play better next week. Meanwhile UNH looks plain scary.

App had a tough time practicing on an ice and snow covered field all week. Not very crisp and fumbled the ball more than they had all the season games combined. Second half was the usual potent offense and hard hitting defense.
Too App was obviously nervous in the opening qtr. Lafayette's guys had been there before. ASU's boys had not.
Problem the whole first half, ASU couldn't protect for the run and the short passes combined. In the 2nd half, when Lafayette had obvious passing situations, they were in big trouble. Too, in the first half their big and tall line whipped ours. In the second half, they wore down and Apps finally controlled the LOS.

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 10:26 AM
App had a tough time practicing on an ice and snow covered field all week. Not very crisp and fumbled the ball more than they had all the season games combined.

Interesting viewpoint, considering Coach Moore outright stated that the best days of practice we had that week were the days it snowed...

FlyBoy8
November 28th, 2005, 11:36 AM
The BS was the refs whistle being blown, so Furman stopped, they did'n't even go out to cover the receivers. You way be right, but everyone posting on the UFFP and sitting around me during the game heard a whistle. Funny too that the farside linejudge threw the off-sides flag out of bounds on the NSU sideline.

If you heard a whistle, it must have been the ball heading towards the endzone. They replayed it on TV with full sound, specifically listening for a whistle and there was none to be heard. You could hear voices on the field, but no whistle. It was just a well-executed play by NSU.

B&G
November 28th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I was at the FU/NSU game and wasvery impressed with NSU's discipline. They really didn't make any big mistakes. Their coaching was solid too. I can't remember second-guessing them much at all. I especially liked where they let the clock run down with their punting team on the field at the end of the half and then called time out so they could try a hail mary. Their QB has a noodle arm though and they really didn't have the same caliber of players. They got by on execution and savvy.

On the other side, I'd love to hear what Furman fans think about their coach. Bobby Lamb does little to instill faith in my opinion. Why was he trying double reverses when they were running up the gut and off tackle for 5-10 yards every play? In the stands the FU fans I sat near were saying "oh god, it's the JMU game all over again".

OL FU
November 28th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I was at the FU/NSU game and wasvery impressed with NSU's discipline. They really didn't make any big mistakes. Their coaching was solid too. I can't remember second-guessing them much at all. I especially liked where they let the clock run down with their punting team on the field at the end of the half and then called time out so they could try a hail mary. Their QB has a noodle arm though and they really didn't have the same caliber of players. They got by on execution and savvy.

On the other side, I'd love to hear what Furman fans think about their coach. Bobby Lamb does little to instill faith in my opinion. Why was he trying double reverses when they were running up the gut and off tackle for 5-10 yards every play? In the stands the FU fans I sat near were saying "oh god, it's the JMU game all over again".

1. Furman fans have a tendancy to be a little like ASU fans when it comes to the playoffs. While we have had more success there are lots of coulda shoulda wouldas.
2. While I do second guess the coach like most fans, I have a hard time second guessing the second most productive offense in I-AA.
3. When it comes to second guessing, the main one I question was the last play of the half that you mentioned. Furman should have called the time out which probably would have forced the punt. My guess is that Lamb was afraid, NSU would go for it on fourth down which they do quite often. He still should have called the time out.

OL FU
November 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM

He wins!

OL FU
November 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM

You were kidding, right?

Wellington
November 28th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Atleast the whole conference wasn't knocked out of the playoffs like the big sky :asswhip:

B&G
November 28th, 2005, 12:05 PM
1. Furman fans have a tendancy to be a little like ASU fans when it comes to the playoffs. While we have had more success there are lots of coulda shoulda wouldas.
2. While I do second guess the coach like most fans, I have a hard time second guessing the second most productive offense in I-AA.
3. When it comes to second guessing, the main one I question was the last play of the half that you mentioned. Furman should have called the time out which probably would have forced the punt. My guess is that Lamb was afraid, NSU would go for it on fourth down which they do quite often. He still should have called the time out.

Exactly, Lamb coaches scared in big situations. I have seen almost as many Furman games as I have ASU games and I will say hands down that I would rather have Jerry Moore as my coach.

App may have historically underachieved in the playoffs but if we win this year that will be a moot point. And our level of success really shouldn't have entered the discussion when the question was "what do Furman fans think about Bobby Lamb". Are you haters or what? You know what the loudest cheer I heard at that game was for? It was the announcement that Lafayette was winning 14-3. The crowd was at least twice as loud for that as they were for anything Furman did in that game. Granted, FU had very little to cheer about except for the final result but that's all that really matters.

Anyway, I leave the Bobby Lamb question open to other fans.

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 12:11 PM
If you heard a whistle, it must have been the ball heading towards the endzone. NSU.
:lmao:

JohnStOnge
November 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Just remember that Nicholls State beat Texas State while holding Nealy to 17 of 41 passing, 24 yards rushing on 10 attempts, and 251 total yards. The Colonels also lost 35-31 at Indiana only because they fumbled at the Hoosier 11 with under four minutes to go and a 31 to 28 lead. Finally, prior to this past weekend their minimum rushing total for a game was 249 yards.

As for Texas State...well...Nealy hit 26 of 34 (76.5 percent) with 3 TDs and one interception while gaining 404 yards of total offense against Texas A&M. The Bobcats were favored to beat Georgia Southern and they did.

In both games power ratings had the Southland and Southern Conference teams rated close to each other. Those were not easy opponents where you should've thought it was a lock for the So Con teams to win...much less have easy times of it.

OL FU
November 28th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Exactly, Lamb coaches scared in big situations. I have seen almost as many Furman games as I have ASU games and I will say hands down that I would rather have Jerry Moore as my coach.

App may have historically underachieved in the playoffs but if we win this year that will be a moot point. And our level of success really shouldn't have entered the discussion when the question was "what do Furman fans think about Bobby Lamb". Are you haters or what? You know what the loudest cheer I heard at that game was for? It was the announcement that Lafayette was winning 14-3. The crowd was at least twice as loud for that as they were for anything Furman did in that game. Granted, FU had very little to cheer about except for the final result but that's all that really matters.

Anyway, I leave the Bobby Lamb question open to other fans.

I made the comparison solely because you are an ASU fan and the wouldas, couldas, etc should therefore be understandable. I did not bring up ASU's lack of playoff success for smack purposes. Just as an example since we have had our own lack of sucess. I think the comparison between Moore and Lamb is a good one. Honestly, I might would give Moore the nod also. But like anything else experience is an important key to coaching and he has had a lot more of it than Lamb. As to whether I am a hater I will leave open to other posters (just not any from the A-10 :D )