PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Lehigh Spring Football Practice Takes Center Stage

Lehigh Football Nation
March 18th, 2009, 10:07 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/03/spring-football-practice-takes-center.html

With a nearby first-round matchup in the NCAA women's basketball tournament to prepare for, a trip to St. Louis to plan for the seven qualified wrestlers for the national NCAA championships... ya think the Lehigh Athletic department is a little bit busy this week? (I also did notice Lehigh's amazing eight-goal comeback victory against Army in men's lacrosse.)

Hard as it is to believe, there's more big news from Lehigh athletics this week, too: they announced that spring football practice gets underway tomorrow, starting at 4:30 p.m. Head coach Andy Coen, rejoined by new special teams/running backs coach R.J. Ryan (pictured) who was recently hired to take the place of Adam Scheier (Bowling Green), is eager to get back on the gridiron to see the players' development in the offseason.

xthumbsupx

Offseason? With wrestling to hype, a NCAA women's game to prepare for, NCAA brackets to fill out, and Spring Practice, what's the offseason? :p

ngineer
March 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Nice article. While we have some holes to fill, I like the talent available that will be competing for positions. P/K could be interesting. While Randazza seemed more consistent, I don't see him having as strong a leg. However, I'll take consistency and a 40 yard range as opposed to inconsistent and a 55 yard range. Smith was highly touted out of Fla, so the 'kick-off' should be fun to watch.

Fordham
March 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM
nice article from rising blogger, LFN!

You guys really should be tough (and rising) this year. An awful lot returning. Coen does give alot of kudos to the talented and rising kids, which is very nice to see. It does put the pressure right back on him, though, since the only way THIS much (rising) talent doesn't go out and win it is likely to fall back on the staff, right?

Again, good stuff on this rising team.

RichH2
March 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
A "rising" comment from Fordham. LFN is the best. But even he has fallen victim to the dreaded SID disease, very contagious, of rising players and teams. The SID who started this must be found and put into isolation before he infects more of the world.
The last couple of yrs preseason press guides from our schools and many others that I like to look in on have been infected .

Lehigh Football Nation
March 19th, 2009, 10:26 AM
xlolx

You know, I hate to use the word rising in this context, personally. Too much typing! But as Rich says, the SIDs do it and just to avoid confusion I do it that way too.

I know Patriot League graduation rates are fantastic, but I'm even hesitant now of saying a player is "lost to graduation" when they haven't technically graduated yet :p

carney2
March 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Is Clark a lock at QB? Soph-to-be Lum is impressive, and the incoming QB recruit also would appear to have a lot of talent. Will "experience" decide this thing?

RichH2
March 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Would have said Clark a lock, as Lum better arm and athlete. But Colvin is better than both. Heck he was A-S 3rd team as db. Enuf chest thumping Clark is the man. Nice to have quality back ups if injury. If only we keep healthy at rb

ngineer
March 20th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Is Clark a lock at QB? Soph-to-be Lum is impressive, and the incoming QB recruit also would appear to have a lot of talent. Will "experience" decide this thing?

I believe the job is Clark's to lose. He has shown himself to be a 'gamer' and the players like him alot, which goes a long way. While the other two qbs certainly have talent, as long as Clark shows he is a winner they'll stay with him.
My biggest concern is determining how good our WRs will be.

Lehigh74
March 20th, 2009, 10:46 PM
My take is that Coen is brave enough to sit down an experienced quarterback (i.e. Clark) if he thinks it will make the team better. He did it two years ago with Threat. However, in order for that to happen Lum is going to have to clearly outplay Clark this spring and next fall.

ngineer
March 20th, 2009, 11:54 PM
My take is that Coen is brave enough to sit down an experienced quarterback (i.e. Clark) if he thinks it will make the team better. He did it two years ago with Threat. However, in order for that to happen Lum is going to have to clearly outplay Clark this spring and next fall.

I agree and although many think Lum has more 'natural' skills, leadership and getting the job done is what counts and he would have to clearly outplay Clark to take the job away.