PDA

View Full Version : Still think Ingle Martin's more dangerous than Nealy?

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Somebody posted earlier that Nicholls State had not seen a QB as dangerous as Ingle Martin this year. Anybody still think that?

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Ok GSU fans. You officially have plenty of reasons for being hacked off at Sewak. Going for it on 4th down deep in his own territory was stupid. They were less than one score down and had time. Bad move.

GSU Eagle
November 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM
This is the worst GSU defense I have seen in a good many years. Not just this game but we have struggled on D all year. When we have to get stops more times than not this year we have not got them.

Oh well we will join every 1AA team this year except 1 whose season ends short of a championship.

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2005, 06:02 PM
This is the worst GSU defense I have seen in a good many years. Not just this game but we have struggled on D all year. When we have to get stops more times than not this year we have not got them.

Oh well we will join every 1AA team this year except 1 whose season ends short of a championship.

Oh c'mon man. I know it's a relatively weak GSU defense (even though they were very good in short yardage in the middle). But Nealy had over 500 yards of total offense. You know GSU didn't play another quarterback that good this year. If that guy develops some game to game consistency he's going to be an NFL starter.

Amazing that this same guy that hit 77 percent of his passes against Texas A&M and played like he did against GSU today couldn't hit 50 percent of his passes against Sam Houston State and Nicholls State.

Unfortunately for the Eagles, it was the "Texas A&M" Nealy today.

Baldy
November 26th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Who said anything about Martin being better?

Nealey's a great player, but he's all TSU-SM has. A rebuilding GSU team came within a couple of broken plays from running them out of the stadium. They could get past Cal-Poly, but they won't last long.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Nealey's a great player, but he's all TSU-SM has. A rebuilding GSU team came within a couple of broken plays from running them out of the stadium. They could get past Cal-Poly, but they won't last long.

If the past Col-Poly how much longer do they have to last? They're only 1 win away from 'Nooga at that point.

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Well, I don't know if he's all they've got but obviously they'd have had no shot today without him. That's why when a Texas State fan posted earlier that they've turned the corner as a program they'll have to wait and see what happens after Nealy leaves. When he's on he's one of the most dominant players ever in I-AA, I think. Only thing is he's not always on.

Somebody posted on the Nicholls State/Furman thread that Ingal Martin was going to be the most dangerous quarterback the Colonels had faced this year. I think anybody that just watched that game at San Marcos just now knows that's laughable.

ashram
November 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Laughable? Ok, feel free to explain.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Well, I don't know if he's all they've got but obviously they'd have had no shot today without him. That's why when a Texas State fan posted earlier that they've turned the corner as a program they'll have to wait and see what happens after Nealy leaves. When he's on he's one of the most dominant players ever in I-AA, I think. Only thing is he's not always on.

Somebody posted on the Nicholls State/Furman thread that Ingal Martin was going to be the most dangerous quarterback the Colonels had faced this year. I think anybody that just watched that game at San Marcos just now knows that's laughable.

the announcers says that Texas State has like 30 seniors, we'll see what happens next year :twocents:

LarryBoy
November 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Ingle had his poorest game, yardage-wise, in his career today, and Furman still came away with the victory.

You think the same would have happened for Texas St. had Nealy done the same thing?

That's the point--Furman's not the Ingle Martin show, and never has been. As long as Ingle's not in some INT-nightmare like he was against Western, I don't care what his stats are--I like Furman's chances.

Tod
November 26th, 2005, 07:00 PM

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 07:04 PM

I don't know....

Once the TXST Defense got going....it was impressive....lots of hard hits....

November 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Somebody posted earlier that Nicholls State had not seen a QB as dangerous as Ingle Martin this year. Anybody still think that?The jury's still out.

ThreadStopper
November 26th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Texas State could not get by the Cal Poly defense last year and they will have the same problem this year. The Mustangs will score their points, but the Bobcats will not score 50 next week

dirtbag
November 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Bitter much?

November 26th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Bitter much?Who said anything about Martin being bitter?

fuEMO
November 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Hey, kudos to the NSU defense. BL complemented the NSU coach during the post game press conference for the best defensive scheme they had seen this season.

Furman has never been just Ingle Martin. The difference in this game was Ingles feet. A 70 yard punt from the back of the endzone and many successful bootlegs and some great option pitches.

thirdgendin
November 26th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Somebody posted earlier that Nicholls State had not seen a QB as dangerous as Ingle Martin this year. Anybody still think that?

Hey, why bring a guy down like that? I guess because he transferred from Florida, it has become chic to bash Ingle. The guy is the best quarterback we've ever had and he wins football games.

soweagle
November 26th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Nealy is great and will probably do well in the NFL but I would take Richie Williams over Nealy. Ingle and Nealy, IMHO, are tied for 2nd as the best qb's GSU faced this year. Different qb's but both are very good at what they do.

Dallas Demon
November 26th, 2005, 09:33 PM

I'd say they have a bit more than just Nealy. Lots of TxST players had their way with GSU in the 2nd half. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Perhaps GSU is only as good as anyone else in the playoffs while on the road.

Dallas Demon
November 26th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Nealy is great and will probably do well in the NFL but I would take Richie Williams over Nealy. Ingle and Nealy, IMHO, are tied for 2nd as the best qb's GSU faced this year. Different qb's but both are very good at what they do.

Nealy has the size for the NFL, so he has a better chance IMO.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Richie and Nealy are both 6'3"

Michael Vick is 6'

I think height helps more than bulk in the NFL, atleast for a QB, you can always bulk up, can't get taller

Dallas Demon
November 26th, 2005, 09:40 PM

Michael Vick is 6'

I think height helps more than bulk in the NFL, atleast for a QB, you can always bulk up, can't get taller

I believe Nealy is 235. If I remember from last year, Richie is much thinner. The bulk does help in the NFL, look at McNabb and Culpepper.

dirtbag
November 26th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Nealy is great and will probably do well in the NFL but I would take Richie Williams over Nealy. Ingle and Nealy, IMHO, are tied for 2nd as the best qb's GSU faced this year.

Yeah, I guess they're tied for 2nd behind whatever guy had more than 524 yards against you.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I believe Nealy is 235. If I remember from last year, Richie is much thinner. The bulk does help in the NFL, look at McNabb and Culpepper.

well, i made this point earlier, Cunningham was pretty thin when he came into the NFL as well

McNeese75
November 26th, 2005, 10:39 PM

Michael Vick is 6'

Sorry but Nealy is 6'5"

FU97
November 26th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Nealy has the size for the NFL, so he has a better chance IMO.

Ingle has a much better shot at the NFL. Sure he'll make it first as a punter, but he'll be in the NFL next year.

Nealy was phenominal today. Excellent player. Not sure he can make the NFL, but he's definitely got a good shot at it.

youwouldno
November 26th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Furman didn't change it's system for Martin, so he was never in a position to put up huge passing numbers because that isn't Furman's game. Physicality isn't his problem-- he's 6'3, 230 and very fast. Williams is more agile and accelerates better.

The QB comparisons are pointless, though. Football is a team game. The NFL stuff has nothing to do with the I-AA playoffs.

Dallas Demon
November 26th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Ingle has a much better shot at the NFL. Sure he'll make it first as a punter, but he'll be in the NFL next year.

Nealy was phenominal today. Excellent player. Not sure he can make the NFL, but he's definitely got a good shot at it.

It's hard, for me at least, to judge NFL talent. I've seen some good I-AA players at the QB position over the years only to find out there's a difference in being a great college football player vs. having a chance to play in the NFL. Based on what I have seen, and I've seen both in person, Nealy has a much better chance at the NFL than Richie - mainly because of his size. I've seen Ingle play on TV and although good, I'd doubt he would be able to make it in the NFL at QB - but I could easily be wrong. Not sure about his punting ability.

Baldy
November 27th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Bitter much?

Not at all. Truth hurt?

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Ingle had his poorest game, yardage-wise, in his career today, and Furman still came away with the victory.

You think the same would have happened for Texas St. had Nealy done the same thing?

That's the point--Furman's not the Ingle Martin show, and never has been. As long as Ingle's not in some INT-nightmare like he was against Western, I don't care what his stats are--I like Furman's chances.

My point wasn't really to put Ingal Martin down, it was to say that he's probably not the most dangerous player at the quarterback position that Nicholls State had played this year. And I do think Furman can still win without him while Texas State would have no shot without Nealy.

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 08:13 AM
The jury's still out.

C'mon Ralph. The guy put up over 400 yards of total offense against Texas A&M. He put up 526 against Georgia Southern yesterday. He's had an 81 yard TD run this year and he had a +70 yard run against GSU. Going into yesterday he'd averaged over 7 yards per carry to Martin's 2.5. You saw how strong his arm is, how well he can throw on the move, how he uses touch to drop it in when he has to, etc., if you watched the game yesterday.

And he did what he did yesterday, for the most part, without his offensive line controlling the line of scrimmage. To me, the battle at the line of scrimmage was won both ways by the Eagles.

If the Jury is still out, it's being awfully conservative.

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Hey, why bring a guy down like that? I guess because he transferred from Florida, it has become chic to bash Ingle. The guy is the best quarterback we've ever had and he wins football games.

As noted, it's not to bash Martin. I was just amused that someone had posted that Nicholls State hadn't seen a quarterback as dangerous as he is when the Colonels had played against Nealy. I probably shouldn't have started this thread.

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Well...about all I can say is that Nealy had more total yards against Georgia Southern (526) than Willams and Martin combined (243 + 248 = 491). I think there's a pretty good chance he had the highest quarterback rating too. I can't find it posted yet but Martin hit 76 percent of his passes against the Eagles (16 of 21) for 240 yards, 1 TD, and 1 interception and had a 178.4 rating against GSU. Nealy hit 72 percent (23 of 32) but got 400 yards, 4 TDs and 1 int.

Williams hit 61 percent (13 of 20) against GSU for 161 yards, 0 touchdowns, and 1 interception to get a QB rating of 122.6.

One thing's not arguable: In objective, measureable terms Nealy produced a lot more offense against GSU than either Williams or Martin did.

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Only caveat on Nealy is he can apparently be inconsistent from game to game. Every time I've seen him (Texas A&M, Stephen F. Austin, Georgia Southern) he's looked like he did yesterday. But he's had some bad games throwing the ball. Nicholls State shut him down pretty well. But Martin also hit less than 50 percent (5 of 12) against Nicholls.

Tubby Raymond
November 27th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Ingle looked shaky and SLOW

Baldy
November 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Well...about all I can say is that Nealy had more total yards against Georgia Southern (526) than Willams and Martin combined (243 + 248 = 491).

And Williams has Richardson, Martin has Felton, Carter, Mayes, etc.
You can sneak through the conference and early playoff rounds with a one headed monster. One bad or just mediocre game by Nealy from here on out and TSU-SM will be done.
In order for the Bobcats to win it all, he will have to play like he did yesterday or even better for three more weeks. Ain't gonna happen.

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 09:13 AM
And Williams has Richardson, Martin has Felton, Carter, Mayes, etc.
You can sneak through the conference and early playoff rounds with a one headed monster. One bad or just mediocre game by Nealy from here on out and TSU-SM will be done.
In order for the Bobcats to win it all, he will have to play like he did yesterday or even better for three more weeks. Ain't gonna happen.

They do have very good personnel on defense. I think yesterday was the toughest matchup for their defense that they're going to face. Against regular I-AA offenses they gave up 267 yards per game this season...which is pretty decent. But Nicholls State rushed for 375 yards on them.

They do have a chance to have their defense keep them in the game if Nealy's off from here on out. They wouldn't have yesterday. Yesterday they needed that kind of game out of him to have any shot.

dirtbag
November 27th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Not at all. Truth hurt?

Judging 50-35 from 50-35 your 50-35 bitterness 50-35 , I 50-35 can 50-35 tell 50-35 it 50-35 does.

fuEMO
November 27th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Ingle looked shaky and SLOW

Slow. He wasn't sacked the whole game. He outran every blitz that NSU ran at him. A like Nealy, Williams and Martin. They all play different games. The big difference is Ingles foot. Not many punters in 1A or 1AA that can boom a punt from the back of the endzone to the 25 yard line.

One advantage I see for APP and Furman is they both have quality quarterbacks ready to come in if their starter gets nicked up. Furman may have the advantage here Gray is proven and is such a different style qb than Ingle. Talk about a monster backfield. Next season; Gray 235, Felton 250, Gipson 205.

McTailGator
November 27th, 2005, 11:15 AM
the announcers says that Texas State has like 30 seniors, we'll see what happens next year :twocents:

McNeese's 24 Sophs will be Juniors next year. And if their are no more 34 day hurrican evacuations and evictions from our practice facilities, the Cowboys will be back on top.

McNeese75
November 27th, 2005, 11:49 AM
McNeese's 24 Sophs will be Juniors next year. And if their are no more 34 day hurrican evacuations and evictions from our practice facilities, the Cowboys will be back on top.

and the 39 Freshman will be sophomores. 8 starters on both offense and defense return. :D

Baldy
November 27th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Judging 50-35 from 50-35 your 50-35 bitterness 50-35 , I 50-35 can 50-35 tell 50-35 it 50-35 does.

Being we had to replace 2/3 of our offense production and 6 of our front 7 on defense, there were no really big expectations from me going into this season. We did about as well as I expected. On the other hand, with 30 Seniors on your team, and the loss of your only offensive weapon, we know where your team will be.....the same place it has been the previous 20 seasons, in the cellar. :(

bobcatfan06
November 27th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Being we had to replace 2/3 of our offense production and 6 of our front 7 on defense, there were no really big expectations from me going into this season. We did about as well as I expected. On the other hand, with 30 Seniors on your team, and the loss of your only offensive weapon, we know where your team will be.....the same place it has been the previous 20 seasons, in the cellar. :(

Awww, somebody feelings get hurt?? By the way I don't think dirtbag is from Texas State. Could be wrong though??

You Eggles are arrogant even when you lose. :bang: :nod:

Baldy
November 27th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Awww, somebody feelings get hurt?? By the way I don't think dirtbag is from Texas State. Could be wrong though??

You Eggles are arrogant even when you lose. :bang: :nod:

Hurt feelings? What part of "did about as well as I expected", did you not understand?

Call it arrogance if you want. You are free to debate any of my remarks, but being you didn't, it tells me you probably agree. :nod: :nod:

bobcatfan06
November 27th, 2005, 02:06 PM
We will have around 15-20 Seniors next year, Nealy isn't our only offensive weapon (he's just that good) and we won't be back in the cellar.

dirtbag
November 27th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Wow, you *ARE* bitter.

Take deep breaths and think happy thoughts, and you'll be over it in a couple of weeks.

dirtbag
November 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Hurt feelings? What part of "did about as well as I expected", did you not understand?

Call it arrogance if you want. You are free to debate any of my remarks, but being you didn't, it tells me you probably agree. :nod: :nod:

I think we're all in agreement that you're incredibly bitter.

:shakingma

Deep breaths. Happy thoughts.

We're rooting for your recovery! xsmoochx

BCisforBobcatTX
November 27th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Remember: Texas State had Nealy last year and got five wins. Nealy staying healthy had a lot to do with Texas State getting 10 wins(so far) this year, but it wasn't everything. Texas State's not going back to the cellar any time soon with Bailiff as the head coach, regardless of how many seniors are on the team.

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Remember: Texas State had Nealy last year and got five wins. Nealy staying healthy had a lot to do with Texas State getting 10 wins(so far) this year, but it wasn't everything. Texas State's not going back to the cellar any time soon with Bailiff as the head coach, regardless of how many seniors are on the team.

I don't know about the cellar but surely you can see how most would think that if the Bobcats hadn't had him yesterday the Eagles would've won that game by a comfortable margin. Texas State did not show the ability to run the ball consistently (except when Nealy took off) and Georgia Southern got a good pass rush a number of times. They just couldn't get their hands on Nealy when they did.

Baldy
November 27th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I think we're all in agreement that you're incredibly bitter.

The only thing "we" are in agreement about is your total lack of reading comprehention. xlolx

http://www.sandralreading.com/images_/Worksheets/intermediate/CD_Reading_Comprehension_4.jpg

xlolx

soweagle
November 27th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I guess they're tied for 2nd behind whatever guy had more than 524 yards against you.

Richie Williams did not need to put up big numbers against GSU. ASU took the lead early and ran the ball to control the clock. Ingle and Nealy are completely different styles. Maybe that is why I have a hard time deciding between the two. Richie Williams is #1 because of his athletic ability (which Nealy matches step for step and throw for throw) and his mental ability. I saw Nealy make some poor decisions in the first half. Maybe it was coaching that put him in those situations, I don't have any way of knowing. I only saw Richie Williams make one bad decision against GSU. To give Nealy credit, the guy is a winner. Down by 19 he took the team on his shoulders and made it happen. Can Richie Williams do that? I don't know. I am sure an ASU fan could tell us.

Are there any other GSU fans that you want to stalk on this board and try to discredit every statement? I am noticing a pattern from you.

nlwwln
November 27th, 2005, 07:55 PM
stacey tutt... best qb in 1aa and could be one of the best athletes as well.

txstatebobcat
November 27th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I don't know about the cellar but surely you can see how most would think that if the Bobcats hadn't had him yesterday the Eagles would've won that game by a comfortable margin. Texas State did not show the ability to run the ball consistently (except when Nealy took off) and Georgia Southern got a good pass rush a number of times. They just couldn't get their hands on Nealy when they did.

I think a lot of people are giving Nealy to much credit. Yes he did a great job, but if our defense doesn't stop Georgia Southern throughout the second half of the third and all of the fourth quarter, it would be GSU playing Cal Poly. You can't score touchdowns if you don't have the ball.

dirtbag
November 27th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Are there any other GSU fans that you want to stalk on this board and try to discredit every statement? I am noticing a pattern from you.

It's only because GSU fans make it so freakin' easy.

Let's go to the replay booth for help on this one:

First flag was someone from GSU saying that TSU wouldn't even HOST a game, even though they were in the top 5 of every poll and #3 GPI.

Then, the indignancy of having to go to Texas was priceless.

Then, we had all of the "we have tradition, they don't, so they don't have a chance" posts.

The real topper was when I posted my 1st round predictions, someone from GSU chimed in that I wasn't giving much respect to GSU because I picked TSU. Yeah, that's obviously personal bias on my part, because no one would pick a #3 GPI team at home unless they have an axe to grind.

As far as the game, it disproved the "they're fat we'll wear them down" and the "we've been here before, they can't handle the pressure" analysis as convincingly as humanly possible.

But the after-game analysis consisted of "we handed it to them on a silver platter," "we need to fire our coach for losing to these guys," and "the guy who hung 50 points and 500+ yards on us isn't any better than a couple of guys we've seen this season."

I thought GSU's kids were great. #6 is a freakin' bowling ball, #4 is sick, and their blocking discipline was fantastic for most of the game. But (Excepting Kill'em), your fanbase's cluelessness is pretty sad. YOU GOT BEATEN BY A BETTER TEAM.

I won't be stalking Cal Poly fans this week, because that matchup doesn't interest me that much, and none of their fans I've seen on AGS seem arrogant, so I'll be looking at the other teams.

Look out UNH/UNI fans. :)

soweagle
November 27th, 2005, 09:14 PM

First flag was someone from GSU saying that TSU wouldn't even HOST a game, even though they were in the top 5 of every poll and #3 GPI.

Then, we had all of the "we have tradition, they don't, so they don't have a chance" posts.

The real topper was when I posted my 1st round predictions, someone from GSU chimed in that I wasn't giving much respect to GSU because I picked TSU. Yeah, that's obviously personal bias on my part, because no one would pick a #3 GPI team at home unless they have an axe to grind.

As far as the game, it disproved the "they're fat we'll wear them down" and the "we've been here before, they can't handle the pressure" analysis as convincingly as humanly possible.

But the after-game analysis consisted of "we handed it to them on a silver platter," "we need to fire our coach for losing to these guys," and "the guy who hung 50 points and 500+ yards on us isn't any better than a couple of guys we've seen this season."

I thought GSU's kids were great. #6 is a freakin' bowling ball, #4 is sick, and their blocking discipline was fantastic for most of the game. But (Excepting Kill'em), your fanbase's cluelessness is pretty sad. YOU GOT BEATEN BY A BETTER TEAM.

I won't be stalking Cal Poly fans this week, because that matchup doesn't interest me that much, and none of their fans I've seen on AGS seem arrogant, so I'll be looking at the other teams.

Find one quote from me where I said Texas State would not host, or that GSU should not have to travel to Texas. Find where I said fire the coach, Texas State would lose, we have tradition that will allow us to win, etc.... I have said none of this and you have seen probably 3 to 4 GSU posters who have. The only thing close to what I might have posted is that GSU has seen two players better than Nealy. I posted we had seen one and that was after the game.

In fact I have not posted one prediciton of a GSU win and that is b/c I knew we wouldn't. I knew the defense was suspect especially against a qb like Nealy. The eagles almost proved me wrong but fell a part in the 4th quarter.

We did get beat by a better team and I was proud of our defense for 3 quarters. They performed much better than I expected. The offense was about what I expected even though I did see many, many Texas State fans call our qb a midget and say there was no way he would be able to handle the Texas State front line and linebackers. But I guess you missed those comments.

Baldy
November 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM

Speaking of clueless..... xidiotx

No GSU fan that I saw on these boards said TXST didn't deserve a home game. What was said was that GSU didn't deserve to go on the road to play in the first round, anywhere. Nobody, from what I saw, said we should have played Texas State in Statesboro. What people were complaining about was two teams ranked this high shouldn't be playing each other in the first round, period.

When you go back to the replay booth, see if you can find a clue. :rolleyes: