PDA

View Full Version : SHSU's Latest FBS QB Transfer

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
This one will come with less hype...I promise!

http://contribute.chron.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/14/4/1eb44378-7c1f-41fe-9487-17f91a7e32f9.Large.jpg

Blake Joseph from the University of Houston. Here's a blog from a Cougar fan. You'll see that Joseph is well thought of and has the team-first mindset.

http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=sarcoog2010&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3Asarcoog2010Post%3Ac840ac9a-a4ad-43e4-87e8-e75c52129fcc

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Apparently, he is still enrolled at UH - so he will not be with the Kats this spring.

So many Cougar-related sites have been reporting this one for a few weeks.

89Hen
March 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM
SHSU just made the pre-season top 5. xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
SHSU just made the pre-season top 5. xsmiley_wix

Even with Bomar, I do not think I ever anointed us as the favorites to win the SLC. Believe I had McNeese in '07 and UCA in '08. May have had UCA both years, can't recall. Definitely did not have SHSU as the top enchilada heading into the season.

already123
March 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
Is he any good ?

Lamar Cardinals 2010
March 24th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Maybe we can start snagging some of those former FBSers come 2010

busybee14
March 24th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Maybe we can start snagging some of those former FBSers come 2010

I know 2 2010 kids(both will be 3star) these kids are mid d-1 talent,studs, that loved the facilities they saw online and were very intrested in Lamar.Both have tried repeatedly to contact coaches and send film,they never get a reply.

You got them coming to you and the door is closed!!!!!They better be damn good to turn off what would be great 1aa talent.

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Is he any good ?

Univ of Houston fans are saying on their forums that this kid is going to light the SLC up and we are lucky to get such a QB. They also have a lot to say about his character.

I'll be honest - I do not know much about him as I do not follow the Cougars that much. And quite frankly, he's not even at SHSU yet, despite all the rumors and the Kats can not say anything about him, if he's even set to come to Huntsville, because he is still at UH and completing his degree (which he gets in May).

Sounds like a good person to have around and apparently, even has some Div I coaching experience (filled in when Art Briles and some his staff departed for Baylor during a bowl game).

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I know 2 2010 kids(both will be 3star) these kids are mid d-1 talent,studs, that loved the facilities they saw online and were very intrested in Lamar.Both have tried repeatedly to contact coaches and send film,they never get a reply.

Two things...

No reply from Lamar coaches? I know people who have contacted the Cards about exhibitions games in 2009 and never got a response.

And - Lamar will be playing Division I. I don't know what it will take to get some of you LU fans to understand as much!

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Another blog on Joseph...

http://blogs.chron.com/cougars/2009/03/cougar_football_spring_practic.html

nms1987
March 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
It seems like this kid is a good QB who has the misfortune of having his Houston career come between two great QBs (Kolb and Keenum).

He got on the field for a decent chunk of the year in 07 and managed to complete 100 out of 155 passes (65 pct) for over 1,300 yards with 9 TDs and only 4 picks.
Career #s are 120-184 for 1,581 yards, 10 TD and 5 INT over three years. Over 200 career yards rushing (good considering sacks count as negative rushes) and 3 career CATCHES too.
He was 24-29 for 250 yards against an 8-5 ECU team in '07.
8-12 for 51 yards and but also an INT at Oregon in 07. 6 rush, 39 yards too.
9-20 but for 125 yards and a TD at Alabama in 07.

Sounds like he is an accurate passer, not prone to INTs who is also pretty athletic as evidenced by those few receptions in 08 to go with his good career rushing numbers.

I'd love to have him if I was a FCS coach.
He will be a fifth-year SR though. Doesn't that mean that he can't transfer to FCS? Everyone keeps saying that, and I remember the rule being passed, but it seems like it doesn't always apply

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2009, 07:45 PM
This student-athlete will be graduating in May.

I thought the rule for which someone could complete their degree and transfer for their senior year of eligibility was stricken after one year, but apparently it still exists...

A few of the Bearkat faithful may question the bringing in of an FBS QB, but at this point, SHSU has a lot of young arms, none that the coach feels ready. They'll get a chance to prove their worth in the spring.

Joseph won't come in as the starter, he'll have to earn it in August, if he does transfer to Huntsville - regardless of what some may say on KatFans.com.

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
KRIV-TV is reporting that SHSU has asked for UH's approval for release...

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090324_sam_houston_qb_blake_joseph

McNeese75
March 24th, 2009, 10:54 PM
HS Recruited QB's get screwed again xrotatehx

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 07:46 AM
HS Recruited QB's get screwed again xrotatehx

Not really. We only had two QBs on the roster who were HS guys - Welch and Weidman. One of them had already left and stopped playing football for personal reasons. The other will be a sophomore next year and with Joseph being a "one and done", he'll have every chance to start for two years. Needed more time to develop anyway.

That aside, we brought in two more HS QBs this year and I'd expect to see them redshirt unless the kid from Mustang, Okla. sets the world on fire and passes up what we have.

Retro
March 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM
You guys could be a lot more consistent, if you work to build team chemistry with long term QB stability instead of constantly waiting for the next big FBS transfer..

Look at how all these guys turned out before the 2005 season for you??? This thread is from aug/2005...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2617&highlight=shsu+transfer

Phillip Daugherty has transferred from Texas Tech, where he was the 3rd string QB last year as a freshman to Quarterback University, also known as Sam Houston State. He was the Class 3A Player of the Year in 2002 and ranked as a 4 star recruit by Rivals. He was Tech's third-string QB last year. He'll only be a sophomore.

According to our athletic site, he was named the Texas Class AAA "Player of the Year" after throwing for 3,277 yards and 34 touchdowns for Bridgeport in 2002, was a redshirt his true freshman year at Texas Tech in 2003 and was third on the depth chart last season but saw limited action. Daugherty quarterbacked the final series of the scrimmage.

http://texastech.collegesports.com/s...phillip00.html

SHSU QBs:
Noah Allen - Junior. Transferred from Oklahoma prior to 2004 season.
Brett Hicks - Sophomore, redshirted during 2003 season.
Jordan Reever - Freshman. Transfer from LSU. One of the best QBs in Texas HS football history, statistically.
Wade Pate - Sophomore. Started as a true freshman for the Kats in 2003, redshirted in 2004. Brother of Wes Pate, SFA record setting QB and NFL draft pick.

Simply put, with these five QBs, the cupboard is full at the QB position for three or four years to come. Each of these guys has potential to start for the Kats whether it this year or the years down the road.

slycat
March 25th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Not really. We only had two QBs on the roster who were HS guys - Welch and Weidman. One of them had already left and stopped playing football for personal reasons. The other will be a sophomore next year and with Joseph being a "one and done", he'll have every chance to start for two years. Needed more time to develop anyway.

That aside, we brought in two more HS QBs this year and I'd expect to see them redshirt unless the kid from Mustang, Okla. sets the world on fire and passes up what we have.

Unless you bring in another transfer.:D

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
You guys could be a lot more consistent, if you work to build team chemistry with long term QB stability instead of constantly waiting for the next big FBS transfer..

And as we saw, of the bunch - Brett Hicks was really the best QB of the bunch and held himself and the team above water.

slycat
March 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
And as we saw, of the bunch - Brett Hicks was really the best QB of the bunch and held himself and the team above water.

Very true. He really kept the team together after Bomar went out in 2007.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Further update...

Between SHSU and Miami (Fla.)...

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090326_joseph_interest_increase

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
More...

Quarterback sighting — Former University of Houston quarterback Blake Joseph was on the sideline watching Saturday’s scrimmage.

The senior signal caller is scheduled to graduate from Houston in May and will have one year of eligibility left if he decides to transfer to the Football Championship Subdivision and enrolls in graduate school.

Joseph recently left the Cougar program. He started five games and threw for 1,324 yards and nine touchdowns two years ago under then-head coach Art Briles. But when Briles left to go to Baylor last season, Joseph lost the starting job under new head coach Kevin Sumlin.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_095011129.html?keyword=topstory

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yet another blog on the subject from the Houston Chronicle...

http://blogs.chron.com/areacolleges/2009/04/former_uh_quarterback_joseph_c.html

TexasTerror
May 2nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
SHSU's head coach Todd Whitten told a gathering that the Bearkats will add Blake Joseph (Houston) and a Fresno State quarterback (assuming it's Dallas native Matt Faulkner) at the signal caller position.

Joseph would have one year left. Faulkner would have three (redshirt sophomore).

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Apparently, Joseph is getting a jump start on things in Huntsville...

came up yesterday to watch baseball practice and I saw Joseph out on the field throwing with receivers. I counted 6 receivers Thats impressive about his leadership skills already. SO i would say hes coming. WOW, he has a rocket arm. And he looked pretty big. Maybe thicker then Bomar. Also heard that the UCLA QB was in Huntsville this past weekend. I think he would have 3 years of eligibility left. That would give us a cushion with 3 upper classmen on the roster this fall, and allow us to redshirt the 2 freshman coming in. and then have Welch healthy in the spring as well to compete.

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9954

NSUDemon98
May 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Univ of Houston fans are saying on their forums that this kid is going to light the SLC up.

But is that due to his talent or because we are FCS getting a FBS QB and how they view FCS football? Know what I mean?

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM
But is that due to his talent or because we are FCS getting a FBS QB and how they view FCS football? Know what I mean?

The Cougars are very high on Joseph. One just needs to look at who he got stuck behind at UH. We're talking about Case Keenum, one of the top signal-callers in all of FBS - threw for over 5,000 yards last year (2nd in nation) and QB rating was solid (9th in nation).

I am hoping he has a strong year for SHSU and ends up finishing his graduate work in Huntsville, as a member of the coaching staff.

NSUDemon98
May 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM
This one will come with less hype...I promise!

http://contribute.chron.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/14/4/1eb44378-7c1f-41fe-9487-17f91a7e32f9.Large.jpg

Blake Joseph from the University of Houston. Here's a blog from a Cougar fan. You'll see that Joseph is well thought of and has the team-first mindset.

http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=sarcoog2010&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3Asarcoog2010Post%3Ac840ac9a-a4ad-43e4-87e8-e75c52129fcc

Here's a question for you. Which FBS QB transfer will make a bigger impact on their team? Wolfe to NSU or Joseph to SHSU? xreadx

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Here's a question for you. Which FBS QB transfer will make a bigger impact on their team? Wolfe to NSU or Joseph to SHSU? xreadx

That is a good question. From a non-bias standpoint, I go with SHSU based on what talent returns.

The Demons lost both Guice and Lawrence - major playmakers for the NWST offense. The Kats on the other hand have Chris Poullard back, plus James Aston in the backfield. Throw in 7 of 8 WRs/TEs in the two-deep returning. If SHSU defense steps up plus consistent play at QB - Kats may be in the mix. Obviously do not have them there presently because of questions left, but we'll see.

BEAR
May 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Here's another question. What are the probable starting QBs for each SLC school and where are they from? I'll begin.

UCA- Robbie Park- transfer from SFA? Nathan Dick transfer from ua-fayetteville.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Here you go...

LU - Andre Bevil (JUCO transfer - Navarro College)
McN - Derrick Fourroux (incumbent)
Nich - Nolan Dumas (backup QB) or one of the redshirt freshmen
NWST - Tyler Wolfe (Louisville)
SLU - Brian Babin (incumbent)
SFA - Jeremy Moses (incumbent)
SHSU - Blake Joseph (Houston)
TXST - Bradley George (incumbent)
UCA - Nathan Dick (Arkansas)

lionsrking2
May 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Here's another question. What are the probable starting QBs for each SLC school and where are they from? I'll begin.

UCA- Robbie Park- transfer from SFA? Nathan Dick transfer from ua-fayetteville.

Southeastern Louisiana...Brian Babin, 6-4, 225, R-Sr. Signed with Southeastern out of St. Amant HS, Gonzales, La. Will be a three-year starter this fall. Backup will be Tyler Beatty, 6-4, 210, R-Jr. Transferred last fall from Baylor U. originally from Pflugerville HS, Tx...3rd QB will be B.J. Young, 6-2, 200, R-Fr. Signed out of of Hahnville HS, Boutte, La. Had an oustanding spring camp and will push for playing time.

Syntax Error
May 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I know 2 2010 kids(both will be 3star) these kids are mid d-1 talent ... They better be damn good to turn off what would be great 1aa talent.
... Lamar will be playing Division I. I don't know what it will take to get some of you LU fans to understand as much!xnodx:Dxlolx one other thing, Lamar will be playing FCS, the highest level of NCAA championship football. :)

BEAR
May 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Here you go...

LU - Andre Bevil (JUCO transfer - Navarro College)
McN - Derrick Fourroux (incumbent)
Nich - Nolan Dumas (backup QB) or one of the redshirt freshmen
NWST - Tyler Wolfe (Louisville)
SLU - Brian Babin (incumbent)
SFA - Jeremy Moses (incumbent)
SHSU - Blake Joseph (Houston)
TXST - Bradley George (incumbent)
UCA - Nathan Dick (ua-fayetteville)

corrected it for ya!xlolx

McNeese75
May 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
There is a good chance Jarret Lee will end up in the conference out of LSU in the near future. That should stir things up because my personal prediction is he will end up somewhere that already has transfer QB.