PDA

View Full Version : Any Flaws of I-AA?

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM
What would you say are the flaws of I-AA? Everything has one and I'm sure even Ralph could come up with something...

While the playoffs are being saluted today, seems the Bayou Classic and TxSt/GSU game have brought up several remarks related to the lack of instant replay. I just don't see that being feasible. Maybe in the playoffs? But why would you just do it in the playoffs (i.e like they are doing for I-AA title game)?

What other things have come up or you see? I think all of NCAA should toss the horse collar tackle too...you agree?

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I think that one flaw is that its not unified, you have the playoffs, you have the IVY and the SWAC, it all needs to be one, or they don't need to be I-AA

rokamortis
November 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM
What would you say are the flaws of I-AA? Everything has one and I'm sure even Ralph could come up with something...

While the playoffs are being saluted today, seems the Bayou Classic and TxSt/GSU game have brought up several remarks related to the lack of instant replay. I just don't see that being feasible. Maybe in the playoffs? But why would you just do it in the playoffs (i.e like they are doing for I-AA title game)?

What other things have come up or you see? I think all of NCAA should toss the horse collar tackle too...you agree?

Why isn't I-AA replay feasible? I am pro instant replay in I-AA.

I also think I-AA should expand the playoffs - I'd rather see too many teams than not enough.

ngineer
November 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM

For the playoffs, replay shoul be involved. Lafayette got robbed of a fumble recovery that the officials denied, but the reply showed the ball being pulled out before the player hit the ground. ASU then went down and scored rather than LC having ball in ASU territory. Critical point. Not saying it made a difference in the outcome, but it would have been even closer at the end.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Why isn't I-AA replay feasible? I am pro instant replay in I-AA.

I also think I-AA should expand the playoffs - I'd rather see too many teams than not enough.

replay is expensive, its all about money, b/c then every game would have to have some type of camera coverage, very $$$$$$$$

rokamortis
November 26th, 2005, 04:46 PM
replay is expensive, its all about money, b/c then every game would have to have some type of camera coverage, very $$$$$$$$

But they don't all have to be televised - not as much $$$$. Also - the cameras would open up more TV or at least internet streams.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 04:50 PM
But they don't all have to be televised - not as much $$$$. Also - the cameras would open up more TV or at least internet streams.

replay needs atleast 3 or 4 camera angles, so even if they aren't televised, still pretty expensive

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2005, 04:51 PM

So, each univ is gonna get cameras and position quite a few of them around the field? You need atleast three cameras for replay and that's loads of $$$. And how you going to make sure they can be shown immediately? Loads more money.

Have you seen some of the stadiums in I-AA? Some of them, I'm not sure it's even feasible. Then you have the requirements. Would I-AA games only featuring playoff eligible teams? Oh wait, mid-majors are technically playoff-eligible. Would it be certain conferences? Or no?

rokamortis
November 26th, 2005, 04:55 PM
So, each univ is gonna get cameras and position quite a few of them around the field? You need atleast three cameras for replay and that's loads of $$$. And how you going to make sure they can be shown immediately? Loads more money.

Have you seen some of the stadiums in I-AA? Some of them, I'm not sure it's even feasible. Then you have the requirements. Would I-AA games only featuring playoff eligible teams? Oh wait, mid-majors are technically playoff-eligible. Would it be certain conferences? Or no?

Well - most teams have cameras anyway as they tape the games- so i'm sure they can work something out.

I would do it the same as I-A does - leave it up to the conference if they want to adopt instant replay or not.

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Well - most teams have cameras anyway as they tape the games- so i'm sure they can work something out.

Those cameras are ussually at the very top of somewhere looking down, atleast that's how it is done at Sam. Top of pressbox, top of end zone complex and across the field on the visitor's side. That wouldn't be close up of anything, so it wouldn't help...

And it'd take quite a few people to make it where they could show it back very quickly. I was a RTV major, I know this kind of thing xazzx

rokamortis
November 26th, 2005, 05:00 PM
xazzx

I'm sorry you are an ass.

But in any case - it is possible and wouldn't break the bank. All depends on how 'legit' I-AA wants to be.

At coastal they tape 2 of each angle, wide and tight - I'm a fan - I know this type of thing.

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM
But in any case - it is possible and wouldn't break the bank. All depends on how 'legit' I-AA wants to be.

Won't break the bank? Which university makes $$$ off of football? Not too many in I-AA. Your looking at $100,000+ for this cost, if not more...

rokamortis
November 26th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Won't break the bank? Which university makes $$$ off of football? Not too many in I-AA. Your looking at $100,000+ for this cost, if not more...

Where did you get this cost from?

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Where did you get this cost from?

I'm thinking all of the equipment needed. You'd have to get several cameras more unless you forced the coaches to change how they shoot things. A room for live production as if you don't want a 10 minute delay, this is what you'll need to do. Skilled personnel - Joe Student won't be able to cut it and contract work costs.

It'd be like basically running your own production for five games a year. And you wouldn't use it at all the rest of the year.

JALMOND
November 26th, 2005, 08:23 PM

I would do it the same as I-A does - leave it up to the conference if they want to adopt instant replay or not.

It would not be feasible to rely on each team's game tapes for replay. The angles are bad, no way for a quick resolution and as a result, most cases involving replay would not be conclusive. I say, if the game is being televised and you have the production crew there, there should be no problem with getting a replay and getting the situation resolved (similar with DI college basketball).

ThreadStopper
November 26th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Let the committee select the best 16 1-AA teams and let them play. If you are conference champ, or the second best, and don't get selected to play, maybe there is something wrong with your conference, or schedule. Seed the teams 1 through 16 and have a real playoff.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Let the committee select the best 16 1-AA teams and let them play. If you are conference champ, or the second best, and don't get selected to play, maybe there is something wrong with your conference, or schedule. Seed the teams 1 through 16 and have a real playoff.

then there is no incentive to win your conference :confused:

ThreadStopper
November 26th, 2005, 08:46 PM
then there is no incentive to win your conference :confused:

Tell that to all the 1-AA teams that are not in auto-bid conferences!

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Tell that to all the 1-AA teams that are not in auto-bid conferences!

they know the rules, there are certain requirements

ThreadStopper
November 26th, 2005, 09:05 PM
they know the rules, there are certain requirements

You are correct AppGuy. My point is that even though UC Davis is not elligible for a playoff opportunity because of the "rules", they played tough today to share the Great West Football Conference tile with Cal Poly.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 09:07 PM
You are correct AppGuy. My point is that even though UC Davis is not elligible for a playoff opportunity because of the "rules", they played tough today to share the Great West Football Conference tile with Cal Poly.

understood, but you can't complain about a team this is ineligible before the season even starts, every school in "transition" has to do it, so its not like its unfair

SAME OLD G
November 27th, 2005, 12:55 AM
I think that one flaw is that its not unified, you have the playoffs, you have the IVY and the SWAC, it all needs to be one, or they don't need to be I-AA

There are certain requirements that must be met if a team/conference is to compete on the 1-AA level. Playing in the playoffs is not one of those requirements. However, your cultural bias will not let you see this.

November 27th, 2005, 01:03 AM
There are certain requirements that must be met if a team/conference is to compete on the 1-AA level. Playing in the playoffs is not one of those requirements. However, your cultural bias will not let you see this.YOUR cultural bias will not let you see this. Or maybe you are peeking????

SAME OLD G
November 27th, 2005, 01:30 AM
YOUR cultural bias will not let you see this. Or maybe you are peeking????

WTF are you talking about?...

If you can't make a point, don't post at all.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 02:18 AM
I'm thinking all of the equipment needed. You'd have to get several cameras more unless you forced the coaches to change how they shoot things. A room for live production as if you don't want a 10 minute delay, this is what you'll need to do. Skilled personnel - Joe Student won't be able to cut it and contract work costs.

It'd be like basically running your own production for five games a year. And you wouldn't use it at all the rest of the year.

aside from the initial cost you need an additional weekly cost for the camera operators as well as a official upstairs to be deciding if replays should be done. this is feasble in i-a stadiums that get 70,000 fans a game it will not happen in 1-aa theres not enough revenue to allow for it

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 02:21 AM
WTF are you talking about?...

If you can't make a point, don't post at all.

LMAO did u just tell ralph not to post? hmmm he should give u a swift kick in the ass

FlyBoy8
November 27th, 2005, 02:32 AM
There are certain requirements that must be met if a team/conference is to compete on the 1-AA level. Playing in the playoffs is not one of those requirements.

This is a flaw. Another flaw is the mid-majors - they need to be forced to upgrade or reclassified.

tarmac
November 27th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Don't have the first round on Thanksgiving weekend.

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Don't have the first round on Thanksgiving weekend.

i dun know but i would assume the reason for it starting thanksgiving weekend is to avaiod the championship being flooded out by all the Bowls at the end of december.