PDA

View Full Version : Clemson's Jon Richt to transfer to "smaller" school

kperk014
March 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Anyone heard any news on this? The story said that the 6-2 , 205 pound son of Mark Richt really liked Tommy Bowden and decided he should head to a smaller school after Bowden left. I hope he likes the other Bowdens too. ;)

gvilleapp
March 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM
What does Georgia Southern's QB situation look like now? Also, what about going to Georgia State and playing in '10 when they open up?

elon77
March 14th, 2009, 07:59 AM
The Hens would probably take him.xnodx

CID1990
March 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I am betting that he will look at Furman and possibly WCU.

Seven Would Be Nice
March 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM

I could see Furman, but WCU.. eh.. maybe not. As far as GSU, we have like 4 or 5 QBs listed right now, and thats after Henton left.

kirkblitz
March 15th, 2009, 02:25 AM
welcome to ccu xbowx

blueballs
March 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Anyone heard any news on this? The story said that the 6-2 , 205 pound son of Mark Richt really liked Tommy Bowden and decided he should head to a smaller school after Bowden left. I hope he likes the other Bowdens too. ;)

That would be my bet. His dad and by extension his family has a deep and long standing relationship with the Bowdens. That's why he was at Clempscum in the first place.

I would be shocked and amazed if he wound up at Georgia Southern. GSU brings back RS Soph's Lee Chapple (who beat out Antonio Henton and had some great moments last year) and Billy Lowe (who returns from injury after a nice 2007 season as Foster's backup) along with Jr. Kyle Collins. GSU also signed a highly touted kid from eastern Alabama named Brent Osborn who will redshirt in 2009 and be in line in 2011.

PaladinFan
March 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM

There's no real news on this front coming out of Furman. My gut says no. Furman is pretty set at quarterback and signed two more this spring. Furman is usually reluctant to bring in transfers, but as we saw a few years ago, if you're good enough, the Paladins will find a place for you :)

It could happen, though. Bobby Lamb's father, I believe, works in some capacity with UGA's football program, so there certainly is a connection there. Furman is only about an hour and a half from Athens.

It's an interesting situation looking around the SoCon. With the exception of probably WCU and UTC, pretty much all of the SoCon schools are set at quarterback.

paward
March 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
How many years of eligibility does Richt have, if he goes FCS?

furman94
March 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I would love for him to come to FU, but we are set at QB as of now.

chantster
March 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Jon needs to transfer, he will never get PT at Clemson., especially with the signing of 4 star Tajh Boyd (http://clemson.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=54476) from Hampton Va. Tajh is a highly recruited QB who had an awesome all star game. He was heavily recruited by Tressel at Ohio State and was coveted by Oregon.

At best, Jon would be 4th on the depth chart.

Horseshoe App
March 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Not that Appalachian would need another quarterback, but he does have family ties to the Boone, NC area. His aunt is a school teacher in Watauga County. Probably would never happen, just food for thought.

kperk014
March 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
That would be my bet. His dad and by extension his family has a deep and long standing relationship with the Bowdens. That's why he was at Clempscum in the first place.

I would be shocked and amazed if he wound up at Georgia Southern. GSU brings back RS Soph's Lee Chapple (who beat out Antonio Henton and had some great moments last year) and Billy Lowe (who returns from injury after a nice 2007 season as Foster's backup) along with Jr. Kyle Collins. GSU also signed a highly touted kid from eastern Alabama named Brent Osborn who will redshirt in 2009 and be in line in 2011.

That's why I've got a good feeling that he will wind up at UNA. While so many schools seem to have a good QB situation, we lost an All-America QB in AJ Milwee so we could definitely use a QB with 4 years left. Maybe by his senior season, we'll get to see some of you on the field.

PaladinFan
March 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Isn't Terry Bowden heading up that program now?

kperk014
March 15th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Isn't Terry Bowden heading up that program now?

Yes, they've just started spring practice.

catdaddy2402
March 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Honestly, I don't know what anybody is going to get with Richt. He put up solid numbers in HS, but he did play at a private school so you have to wonder about the level of competition.

He wasn't ever expected to be anything more than a backup at Clemson coming in a year after 4 star QB Willy Korn and in the same recruiting class as 4 star QB Kyle Parker. The general train of thought was he was brought in as a favor to family friend Mark Richt because he didn't want him having to put up with the negativity that can come from playing for your high profile father.

He redshirted last season, so he should have 4 years of eligibility left.

PaladinFan
March 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Honestly, I don't know what anybody is going to get with Richt. He put up solid numbers in HS, but he did play at a private school so you have to wonder about the level of competition.

He wasn't ever expected to be anything more than a backup at Clemson coming in a year after 4 star QB Willy Korn and in the same recruiting class as 4 star QB Kyle Parker. The general train of thought was he was brought in as a favor to family friend Mark Richt because he didn't want him having to put up with the negativity that can come from playing for your high profile father.

If he's from the state of Georgia, that really doesn't matter. The Privates and Publics often play in the same classification against one another. Many Georgia private schools are usually right in the thick of the state championship hunt.

HIU 93
March 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Jon needs to transfer, he will never get PT at Clemson., especially with the signing of 4 star Tajh Boyd (http://clemson.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=54476) from Hampton Va. Tajh is a highly recruited QB who had an awesome all star game. He was heavily recruited by Tressel at Ohio State and was coveted by Oregon.

At best, Jon would be 4th on the depth chart.

If we could keep some of those kids in tthe area, no one in FCS would have a chance against us. We lose them all to FBS schools, and that is just sad.

AshevilleApp2
March 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
If we could keep some of those kids in tthe area, no one in FCS would have a chance against us. We lose them all to FBS schools, and that is just sad.

Not for the rest of us... xlolx

89Eagle
March 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM

I think you are right on the mark. No pun intended. I had the same thoughts when this came out. With a new coaching staff, he probably saw the writing on the wall.

Purple Pride
April 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Jon Richt chooses Mars Hill

http://onlineathens.com/stories/041609/bre_429977517.shtml

Mountaineer#96
April 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Jon Richt chooses Mars Hill

http://onlineathens.com/stories/041609/bre_429977517.shtml

Sounds like this guy just wanted to be the star somewhere......anywhere. I am sure he is and can almost do no wrong at Mars Hill High...I mean college.

The Cats
April 18th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I am sure he is and can almost do no wrong at Mars Hill High...I mean college.

You guys have ALWAYS got to belittle other institutions, guess it make you feel better about asu !!!! xnonono2x

seantaylor
April 19th, 2009, 12:24 AM
GSU doesn't want this scrub. I could never root for a Richt.

catamount man
April 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Mars Hill though already landed the QB from AC Reynolds and Tyler Jaynes from Pisgah HS so Richt is already putting himself into another battle with 2 pretty good QBs.

GATA
April 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM
This kid had no business playing Division I football anyway. Bowden was doing him a favor at Clemson by offering him a scholarship to be 4th string QB for 5 years and get a free education.

Fact is, his dad didn't want him going to UGA because he knew that his son stunk to high heaven and he didn't want to have to justify giving a scholarship to such a scrub (who happens to be his son).

Nobody wants the guy and I'm positive he won't win the starting job at Mars Hill either.

The Moody1
April 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
You guys have ALWAYS got to belittle other institutions, guess it make you feel better about asu !!!! xnonono2x

Our current Chancellor is an alumnus of Mars Hill so they do have some good things coming out of that school.