PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly getting "Furmaned" by NW St? (and other schedule stuff)

nwFL Griz
March 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Well, Conference USA teams are releasing their schedule today. Of note, Houston is showing NW St going to Houston on Sep 5. Where does that leave Cal Poly?

Also, Tulane has not released their schedule, however, SMU is showing as hosting Tulane on Sep 26, the date for the McNeese St-Tulane game. The other date that McNeese has open is Oct 3, Tulane is @Army that day.

Obviously there is some stuff that will play out, but it's interesting, nonetheless.

GannonFan
March 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The title of this thread almost brought a tear to my eye. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

danefan
March 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The title of this thread almost brought a tear to my eye. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Its great power to be able to make up words. :D

nwFL Griz
March 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
See Delaware....you got it easy compared with how Cal Poly is right now.

danefan
March 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
See Delaware....you got it easy compared with how Cal Poly is right now.

Especially considering Cal Poly doesn't have a "little brother" to sway to a home game. Maybe San Diego should Furman Asuzu Pacific to play Cal Poly on the 5th.

OL FU
March 11th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I prefer the contractionxnodx

FU'd:)

GannonFan
March 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Its great power to be able to make up words. :D

I feel like Shakespeare! xlolxxlolx

R3TRO
March 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Just remember where the idea spawned... ;)

TexasTerror
March 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Alcorn State dropped Southeastern La...who had to pick up a sub-Div I school.

Prairie View A&M postponed (or potentially dropped) Sam Houston State...who is looking at a sub-Div I school.

The SLC schedules were looking solid until the last month or so...

nwFL Griz
March 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Alcorn State dropped Southeastern La...who had to pick up a sub-Div I school.

Prairie View A&M postponed (or potentially dropped) Sam Houston State...who is looking at a sub-Div I school.

The SLC schedules were looking solid until the last month or so...

The really crappy thing.....Alcorn's game with USM is now on Sep 5, so Alcorn could have played SELa after all.

UNHWildCats
March 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Well, Conference USA teams are releasing their schedule today. Of note, Houston is showing NW St going to Houston on Sep 5. Where does that leave Cal Poly?

Also, Tulane has not released their schedule, however, SMU is showing as hosting Tulane on Sep 26, the date for the McNeese St-Tulane game. The other date that McNeese has open is Oct 3, Tulane is @Army that day.

Obviously there is some stuff that will play out, but it's interesting, nonetheless.
well glad thats announced now I can update that on my website.

seahawkfan2007
March 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Regarding schedules. From a very reliable source the open dates (Wagner) are 9/19 and 10/3. I suspect the Bryant game that was originally scheduled for 10/3 is now on 9/12.

UNHWildCats
March 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Tulane shows McNeese on the 19th, so I guess Savannah State go screwed now

slostang
March 11th, 2009, 06:28 PM
The LA. universities are taking a huge hit to their budgets and unfortunately needed to pick up a money game to help out with their budgets. I understand. I am not happy, but I understand.

McNeeserocket
March 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Well, I just checked the SMU site and Tulane site to verify what was said above about the McNeese - Tulane game. SMU does show Tulane on September 26 in Dallas. Tulane shows the same thing and says that are playing McNeese on Sept. 19th now. Nothing is showing up on the McNeese site to show the game has moved from Sept 26th to Sept 19th. In fact McNeese is scheduled to play Savannah State in Lake Charles on Sept. 19th.

I guess it is time to try and rattle a few cages here at McNeese and find out what is going on. None of us fans wanted to play Appst. and Tulane back to back weekends. And we were looking forward to playing Savannah State at home on the 19th of Sept. This is definitely not optimal. I am hoping that maybe we can accomodate both Tulane and Savannah State (perhaps McNeese and Savannah State have an open date where we can move the game).

nwFL Griz
March 11th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Well, I just checked the SMU site and Tulane site to verify what was said above about the McNeese - Tulane game. SMU does show Tulane on September 26 in Dallas. Tulane shows the same thing and says that are playing McNeese on Sept. 19th now. Nothing is showing up on the McNeese site to show the game has moved from Sept 26th to Sept 19th. In fact McNeese is scheduled to play Savannah State in Lake Charles on Sept. 19th.

I guess it is time to try and rattle a few cages here at McNeese and find out what is going on. None of us fans wanted to play Appst. and Tulane back to back weekends. And we were looking forward to playing Savannah State at home on the 19th of Sept. This is definitely not optimal. I am hoping maybe we can accomodate both Savannah and Tulane.

Yeah, Tulane posted their schedule about an hour or so after I posted the first comment.

On a broader note, it seems to me there has been an unusual amount of schedule shuffling this year.

slostang
March 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah, Tulane posted their schedule about an hour or so after I posted the first comment.

On a broader note, it seems to me there has been an unusual amount of schedule shuffling this year.

There are a lot of athletic budgets that are in crisis mode with the way the economy is. Some are having to scramble to keep their heads above water and that means buying out of contracts for money games. That starts a chain reaction as the team they buy out scrambles for a replacement game.

mainejeff
March 11th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Maine has an opening on Sept.5th.

nwFL Griz
March 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Maine has an opening on Sept.5th.

When I saw Houston had NW St, my first thought was Maine and SLO getting together.

seahawkfan2007
March 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM
How about Delaware and Maine moving their game to 10/24 and Maine playing Wagner on 10/3? Since Delaware, through the Furmanization Process took Delaware St. off our schedule, maybe they would be willing mkae the change. This would give Maine it's 11th game and Wagner a quality opponent. Just a thought.

McNeese75
March 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Damn green weinies xmadx

blukeys
March 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
How about Delaware and Maine moving their game to 10/24 and Maine playing Wagner on 10/3? Since Delaware, through the Furmanization Process took Delaware St. off our schedule, maybe they would be willing mkae the change. This would give Maine it's 11th game and Wagner a quality opponent. Just a thought.

I think we have stumbled upon some new nomenclature that will allow some convenient shorthand to describe certain scheduling situations without a whole lot of explanation.

For Instance:

To be Furmaned: A team is dumped after fulfilling their end of a home and home contract.

The Furmaner: The team doing the dumping of the other team usually to pursue some lucrative payday.

The Furmanee: The team being dumped and left scrambling to find a new opponent.

The Furmanization Process (not to be confused with the Feminization Processxrolleyesx): The ongoing pain and consternation caused by the initial Furmaning and the impact this has on teams down the road as some become Furmaners and others become second level Furmanees.

SOCAL
March 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I think we have stumbled upon some new nomenclature that will allow some convenient shorthand to describe certain scheduling situations without a whole lot of explanation.

For Instance:

To be Furmaned: A team is dumped after fulfilling their end of a home and home contract.

The Furmaner: The team doing the dumping of the other team usually to pursue some lucrative payday.

The Furmanee: The team being dumped and left scrambling to find a new opponent.

The Furmanization Process (not to be confused with the Feminization Processxrolleyesx): The ongoing pain and consternation caused by the initial Furmaning and the impact this has on teams down the road as some become Furmaners and others become second level Furmanees.

Don't Forget:

FURMANDO: priceless

:)

Syntax Error
March 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Sorry Delawareans, this process did not start this year. Probably the most notorious team comes from Missoula:

To be Grizzled: A team is dumped after fulfilling their end of a home and home contract.

The Grizzler: The team doing the dumping of the other team usually to pursue some lucrative payday.

The Grizzalee: The team being dumped and left scrambling to find a new opponent.

The Grizzlization Process: The ongoing pain and consternation caused by the initial Grizzling and the impact this has on teams down the road as some become Grizzlers and others become second level Grizzalees.

xlolx

mainejeff
March 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM

Why not Wagner at Maine on Sept.19th? Does anyone know if Maine is playing at Albany on Sept.19th?

Chi-towngrizzly
March 12th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Sorry Delawareans, this process did not start this year. Probably the most notorious team comes from Missoula:

To be Grizzled: A team is dumped after fulfilling their end of a home and home contract.

The Grizzler: The team doing the dumping of the other team usually to pursue some lucrative payday.

The Grizzalee: The team being dumped and left scrambling to find a new opponent.

The Grizzlization Process: The ongoing pain and consternation caused by the initial Grizzling and the impact this has on teams down the road as some become Grizzlers and others become second level Grizzalees.

xlolx

I've got super secret contacts that told me we are backing out on Davis AND Cal-Poly (even though the game is in Missoula, too high risk for a loss).

Apparently we're trying to get games with Montana Tech and Colorado College.

It's a Grizaster!

xsmiley_wix

appmaj
March 12th, 2009, 07:40 AM

xlolx

Are they the same word? xthumbsupx

nwFL Griz
March 12th, 2009, 08:03 AM

xlolx

C'mon now, let's be fair. If you get Grizzled, you have more than enough time to find an opponent, since the Grizzling typically happens the moment the clock on WaGriz scoreboard reaches zero, ending the game that is the Griz's home portion of the contract. xlolx

So there's no scrambling, cause you'll end up with more than a year to find an opponent.

FURMANFAN
March 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
This needed to be said earlier. This whole thing of someone having their panties in such a wad as to make up a word. It strikes me as kind of sissyish, like a teenage girl writing names on a bathroom wall. But considering the source maybe it's not so unusual. You are... hens.

Hansel
March 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM

xlolx

To get Jacked: A team fulfilling the 2 road games of a 2 for 1 deal, and getting double grizzled

McNeeserocket
March 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM

I did some calling last night and found out McNeese was still operating under signed contract date of September 26th as being the day we play Tulane. McNeese had not been notified of any change until I started making calls. I think the Tulane AD will have some explaining to do.

So as it stands now, McNeese is still playing Savannah State in Lake Charles on September 19th. Of course, after a few animated calls between New Orleans and Lake Charles who knows what will happen.

I know that SMU and Tulane our conference rivals, so it may not be easy to move that game and it can't be canceled. They could probably both play at the end of the season as neither one ever wins more than three or four games a year and neither usually has a chance for a worthless no name bowl game.

chrisattsu
March 12th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I would love to see Poly in San Marcos again. Maybe we can 'Furman' Angelo State and get you guys out here.

Do you ever schedule any of the western D2s like Humboldt State or Dixie?

henfan
March 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Or Dolemite.

slostang
March 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I would love to see Poly in San Marcos again. Maybe we can 'Furman' Angelo State and get you guys out here.

Do you ever schedule any of the western D2s like Humboldt State or Dixie?

We have scheduled Humbolt State in the past, but it has been a while. I think that Dixie State on Oct. 24th may be the replacement for Northwestern State. I would much rather play Texas State though.

If Cal Poly does have a DII on the schedule, it will make for a tough year to get an at large playoff berth seeing that Cal Poly has two FBS games in 2009. The good thing is I think both FBS teams will be a challenge, but both San Jose State and Ohio are beatable.

nwFL Griz
March 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I did some calling last night and found out McNeese was still operating under signed contract date of September 26th as being the day we play Tulane. McNeese had not been notified of any change until I started making calls. I think the Tulane AD will have some explaining to do.

So as it stands now, McNeese is still playing Savannah State in Lake Charles on September 19th. Of course, after a few animated calls between New Orleans and Lake Charles who knows what will happen.

I know that SMU and Tulane our conference rivals, so it may not be easy to move that game and it can't be canceled. They could probably both play at the end of the season as neither one ever wins more than three or four games a year and neither usually has a chance for a worthless no name bowl game.

Yeah, they both a have a bye the week before the CUSA championship game. There's really no reason they couldn't move that game to the end of the season, and still play McNeese on Sep 26.

Keeper
March 13th, 2009, 12:01 AM
schedule snafus............

college football version of March Madness

Thanks partly to ESPN for the last minute mess.
They have too much input while trying to firm up
their middle of the week matchups.

McNeeserocket
March 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah, they both a have a bye the week before the CUSA championship game. There's really no reason they couldn't move that game to the end of the season, and still play McNeese on Sep 26.

After some discussion (would have loved to have heard this discussion), Tulane has now decided that they will move their game with SMU to the end of the season. This means that the Tulane - McNeese game will take place as planned on September 26th.

Apparently, McNeese wanted to keep the Savannah State game on September 19 and was unwilling to change that contract to fix the other problem. I don't believe Tulane wanted to pay McNeese $250,000 to buy out the McNeese contract, which would still leave Tulane with an open date left on their schedule and the probability of having to pay someone else the same or more money to fill that date.

Regardless of how the negotiations took place, the game is back on at the agreed upon time. McNeese's coaches, players, administration and fans are looking forward to this game! xbeerchugx

McNeeserocket
March 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM

Evidently, what I wrote above in my quote has offended the Tulane message board moderator enough to have banned me from their message board! Sometimes the truth hurts the thinned skinned enough to forget about that 1st amendment right to free speech.

McNeese75
March 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Evidently, what I wrote above in my quote has offended the Tulane message board moderator enough to have banned me from their message board! Sometimes the truth hurts the thinned skinned enough to forget about that 1st amendment right to free speech.

xlolx Jeanie, are you sure you did not get on the Vermillion & White board from down the road? :D

McNeeserocket
March 13th, 2009, 11:21 AM
xlolx Jeanie, are you sure you did not get on the Vermillion & White board from down the road? :D

Apparently, they drink from the same cool-aid. xoopsx

blukeys
March 13th, 2009, 11:34 AM

One should definitely consider this banning a badge of honor!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxth umbsupxxthumbsupx

nwFL Griz
March 18th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Another possible 'Furman' going on.....NAU now visits Ole Miss on Nov 7. I see the NAU-EWU game being moved to Nov 21....and someone else getting 'Furmaned'. Maybe Ft. Lewis?

McTailGator
March 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Tulane and CUSA made a mistake, and have moved the SMU/Tulane game to T-Giving weekend.

MAN, I WISH HOUSTON WOULD PLAY McNeese!

We have been trying to get them to schedule us for 34 years.

We were scheduled for a Home and Home with them in 77 and 78, but they dropped us after we won the 1976 Independance Bowl.

McNeese and Houston recruit the same areas.

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
From Shreveport Times...article goes into financial issues at NWST.

The university is having to go deeper into its athletic reserve. This includes about $200,000 of outside funds leftover from previous seasons. NSU is also getting economical with scheduling. The Demons were scheduled to play at Cal Poly this season. The two-year, home-and-home contract started last season. However, to decrease travel expenses, Burke chose to buyout the rest of the contract for $100,000 and play at Houston instead. Houston paid NSU more than $300,000.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20090520/SPORTS02/905200342/1026/SPORTS02

GannonFan
May 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM
"Furmaned" indeed. xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM
"Furmaned" indeed. xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

Remind me - was Furman's move driven by the economy? xconfusedx

I remember why we have this term in our nomenclature nowadays, but can not recall the specifics of it. Please help! :D

GannonFan
May 24th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Remind me - was Furman's move driven by the economy? xconfusedx

I remember why we have this term in our nomenclature nowadays, but can not recall the specifics of it. Please help! :D

If you just google it you get this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Furmaned&defid=3737088

Syntax Error
May 25th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I remember why we have this term in our nomenclature nowadays, but can not recall the specifics of it. Please help! :DIt is a very common occurance, more common with many other teams than Furman. But once it happened by Furman to a team with a vocal fanbase of a few they chose to name it after the Paladins (a team that had beat them the previous year). Heck, a team this year even ditched a conference foe and took a default loss for financial gain. Maybe it should be renamed DELAWARE STATED? xlolx

RabidRabbit
May 25th, 2009, 05:54 AM
To get Jacked: A team fulfilling the 2 road games of a 2 for 1 deal, and getting double grizzled

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

I will be turning in my grave for many years before there is another SDSU-MT non-play-off game in Missoula. Any series between these teams will start in Brookings.

Seat16Demon
May 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Basically is comes down to not having any money in LA because we spent it all on Katrina, gambling, and kickbacks.

katstrapper
May 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Basically is comes down to not having any money in LA because we spent it all on Katrina, gambling, and kickbacks.

And Paying the Saints to stay in New Orleans!:D

TexasTerror
May 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
And Paying the Saints to stay in New Orleans!:D

At least that provides jobs and a huge economic impact on the city with all the events - namely the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Fours, etc - at the Superdome.

Can't complain there - if I stay in NOLA, I'm excited about getting to be involved in all those events! xnodx

GannonFan
May 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM
It is a very common occurance, more common with many other teams than Furman. But once it happened by Furman to a team with a vocal fanbase of a few they chose to name it after the Paladins (a team that had beat them the previous year). Heck, a team this year even ditched a conference foe and took a default loss for financial gain. Maybe it should be renamed DELAWARE STATED? xlolx

Furmaned works so much better - seriously, "delaware stated"??? If you're going to coin a term you need to have some sense of what people will remember - going with a 5 syllable term is just never going to catch on. Plus, we have that cool acronym of being "FU'd" - it's really no contest. xlolx