PDA

View Full Version : Fordham 2009 Schedule

jimbo65
March 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Found it interesting we are playing Old Dominion in in their first season of play and Bryant in their second season.

Fordham Announces 2009 Football Schedule
Schedule Features Six Home Games at Jack Coffey Field

March 6, 2009

A schedule that features six home games on Jack Coffey Field, including the annual battle for the Liberty Cup with Columbia, highlights the eleven-game 2009 Fordham University football schedule released today.

Head coach Tom Masella will open his fourth season at Rose Hill as the Rams travel to Kingston, R.I., to face the University of Rhode Island Rams, out of the Colonial Athletic Association, on Saturday, September 5th. It will be the ninth meeting between the two schools, with Fordham leading the all-time series, 5-3, thanks to last year's 16-0 shutout win on Jack Coffey Field, Fordham's second straight win against Rhode Island.

After a bye week, the Rams open their home schedule as they host Columbia University in the annual battle for the Liberty Cup on September 19th. The two schools have fought for the cup for the past seven years, with Fordham holding a 4-3 advantage in Liberty Cup games, thanks to last year's 29-22 win at Columbia. As two of only three NCAA Division I institutions in New York City to sponsor football, Fordham and Columbia decided to compete for a special trophy in 2002 with the focus to honor alumni from both schools who were lost in the attacks of September 11, 2001.

danefan
March 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.fordhamsports.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/ford/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/09FBSched

Sept. 5 at University of Rhode Island Kingston, R.I. 12:00 p.m.
Sept. 12 Open
Sept. 19 COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY Jack Coffey Field 6:00 p.m.
Sept. 26 at Colgate University* Hamilton, N.Y. 6:00 p.m.
Oct. 3 OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY (H) Jack Coffey Field 1:00 p.m.
Oct. 10 BRYANT UNIVERSITY Jack Coffey Field 6:00 p.m.
Oct. 17 at Cornell University Ithaca, N.Y. 1:00 p.m.
Oct. 24 Lafayette College* Easton, Pa. 1:00 p.m.
Oct. 31 HOLY CROSS* Jack Coffey Field 1:00 p.m.
Nov. 7 BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY* (F) Jack Coffey Field 1:00 p.m.
Nov. 14 LEHIGH UNIVERSITY* Jack Coffey Field 1:00 p.m.
Nov. 21 at Georgetown University* Washington, D.C. 1:00 p.m

Nice 7 home games.

DetroitFlyer
March 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Rams afraid to lose to Dayton three times in a row, drop Dayton in 2009. Bummer! I was really looking forward to another trip to the Bronx.... I guess that losing to Dayton does not help a program with lofty ambitions....

Fordham
March 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Rams afraid to lose to Dayton three times in a row, drop Dayton in 2009. Bummer! I was really looking forward to another trip to the Bronx.... I guess that losing to Dayton does not help a program with lofty ambitions....
Dead wrong. Masella addressed both Dayton and Marist and said directly that both programs dropped us. In particular with Dayton he said he didn't want that one to end. That left us scrambling to fill in our schedule and that's why you see Bryant and ODU on there.

Again, that's just according to our coach, which I'm sure doesn't carry nearly as much weight as DaytonFlyer's conjecture. xrolleyesx

DetroitFlyer
March 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Dead wrong. Masella addressed both Dayton and Marist and said directly that both programs dropped us. In particular with Dayton he said he didn't want that one to end. That left us scrambling to fill in our schedule and that's why you see Bryant and ODU on there.

Again, that's just according to our coach, which I'm sure doesn't carry nearly as much weight as DaytonFlyer's conjecture. xrolleyesx

Ya, well do you think a coach that is pushing games against FBS teams and athletic scholarships is going to stand up in a room and say that we dropped Dayton because we do not want to lose to them again...? The "reason" that has been thrown out by your coach as I understand it is that Dayton did not wish to incur the travel costs.... Makes a lot of sense for a team that routinely travels all the way from San Diego to Jacksonville.... Dayton also has a large alumni contigent in the NYC area....

No one is ever going to admit the truth here, but I'm not buying that Dayton dropped Fordham due to "travel costs"....

TheValleyRaider
March 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM
OOC is:
at URI
Columbia
ODU
Bryant
at Cornell

Fordham's probably going to need the PL Title for a playoff birth this year xtwocentsx

As for the PL schedule, those 3 home games in a row has got to be helpful, though having to visit Lafayette and Colgate to open the PL slate could make or break your season. Go 2-0, and you're in a great position xnodx

Good luck xthumbsupx (except on 9/26 ;))

danefan
March 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM
OOC is:
at URI
Columbia
ODU
Bryant
at Cornell

Fordham's probably going to need the PL Title for a playoff birth this year xtwocentsx

Lehigh has the only PL OOC schedule out there that could be worthy of an at-large.xtwocentsx

Fordham
March 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Ya, well do you think a coach that is pushing games against FBS teams and athletic scholarships is going to stand up in a room and say that we dropped Dayton because we do not want to lose to them again...? The "reason" that has been thrown out by your coach as I understand it is that Dayton did not wish to incur the travel costs.... Makes a lot of sense for a team that routinely travels all the way from San Diego to Jacksonville.... Dayton also has a large alumni contigent in the NYC area....

No one is ever going to admit the truth here, but I'm not buying that Dayton dropped Fordham due to "travel costs"....

Since he's always shot straight with us, and me personally, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Further, he actually went out of his way to address it and indicated that he wanted to keep playing them and that this (and Marist) were completely due to you guys (and Marist). If that were not the case, why actually lie to us? Why not just say "we agreed to end the relationship" or something benign like that instead of being so specific and also addressing it despite not getting a question about it specifically?

Fordham
March 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
OOC is:

As for the PL schedule, those 3 home games in a row has got to be helpful, though having to visit Lafayette and Colgate to open the PL slate could make or break your season. Go 2-0, and you're in a great position xnodx

Agreed that it's a pretty poor OOC overall. I don't know how close we were but Masella referenced that we almost had Rutgers. Although that would have made the schedule look better, I'm not sure a beat-down would have helped us out anyway.

That said, the past few years there have always been a bunch of 8 - 4 teams either getting in or just on the playoff bubble. If we came in 2nd and were just a one-loss team overall I would think it would be tough to keep us out even if there would be a decent argument against us. It might then come down to style points like how the PL did v. OOC overall as well as how convincing (or not) our wins were. Still, any one-loss PL team gets in imo, as does most any one loss team from any auto-bid conference.

I just cross my fingers that we'll be having these kind of title (or at least on the cusp) kind of conversations as the season end nears. xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
March 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Lehigh has the only PL OOC schedule out there that could be worthy of an at-large.xtwocentsx

True, but this thread is about Fordham's schedule :pxsmiley_wix

WMTribe90
March 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Be very interested to see how ODU fairs against Fordham. That's a solid test for a first-year squad. Remember that ODU backed out of a contract to play WM in 2009. I'm guessing ODU is more willing to lose to FCS opponents not located in their backyard. Fordham will have maturity, experience and depth on thei side, but I expect ODU will have jsut as much or more talent. Could be interesting (very close).

Fordham
March 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Be very interested to see how ODU fairs against Fordham. That's a solid test for a first-year squad. Remember that ODU backed out of a contract to play WM in 2009. I'm guessing ODU is more willing to lose to FCS opponents not located in their backyard. Fordham will have maturity, experience and depth on thei side, but I expect ODU will have jsut as much or more talent. Could be interesting (very close).

Agreedxnodx

Seawolf97
March 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Good schedule! Maybe one of these days we can get a home and away going with you guys.xthumbsupx

danefan
March 12th, 2009, 08:10 AM

I don't know how competitive ODU will be.

Starting a program from scratch is really really hard. Remember what FAU and FIU were like in the first few years? They were playing teams from the old MAAC and pre-scholarships NEC and were being contested.

I played at FAU and FIU in the early years and they had a ton of talent, but were so unorganized and inexperienced. Very few kids on either team had ever played college football.

The same will be true at ODU. They will definitely have the talent, but its going to take a few years to get some game snaps under their belts.

Fordham
March 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM
there gonna need that open date to recover.xeyebrowx

Ha! xlolxxthumbsupx

well played

JD51
March 12th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Since he's always shot straight with us, and me personally, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Further, he actually went out of his way to address it and indicated that he wanted to keep playing them and that this (and Marist) were completely due to you guys (and Marist). If that were not the case, why actually lie to us? Why not just say "we agreed to end the relationship" or something benign like that instead of being so specific and also addressing it despite not getting a question about it specifically?

I wouldn't imagine Marist wanting to give up a PL opponent given previous attempts to schedule as many PL teams as possible - especially given the proximity between the Bronx and Poughkeepsie. Nevertheless, they may have grown wary of getting pounded by the PL. I think it will take a couple of years of being hammered by the likes of Dayton and San Diego before they'll be able to give either those teams or any PL team (save G'town) a game.

Monarch History
March 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM
The same will be true at ODU. They will definitely have the talent, but its going to take a few years to get some game snaps under their belts.

I'm not sure how competitive we will be this early in the season. I think Fordham will have a much improved team this year.

Fox 94
March 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't imagine Marist wanting to give up a PL opponent given previous attempts to schedule as many PL teams as possible - especially given the proximity between the Bronx and Poughkeepsie. Nevertheless, they may have grown wary of getting pounded by the PL. I think it will take a couple of years of being hammered by the likes of Dayton and San Diego before they'll be able to give either those teams or any PL team (save G'town) a game.

We are playing Bucknell this year.

JD51
March 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM
We are playing Bucknell this year.

Yes, & G'town. I just wonder if it was Marist who dropped Fordham or vice versa.

DetroitFlyer
March 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Yes, & G'town. I just wonder if it was Marist who dropped Fordham or vice versa.

Dayton and Marist both off of the Fordham schedule.... No doubt in my mind that regardless of the "public" reasons you may hear, Fordham dropped both PFL teams. Ya just can't be playing games with those non-athletic scholarship teams when you are trying to convince the world that you can hang with Army.... Hard to build the big mo for improvement if you lose to Dayton three years in a row. Two was bad enough.... I guess they are hoping folks will forget.... I just may be inclined to remind the Ram's fans of their 0-fer record against the mighty Flyers!

ngineer
March 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
OOC is:
at URI
Columbia
ODU
Bryant
at Cornell

Yes, the one 'given' in the PL is you lose two and you're already done which can make the balance of the year tough starting out in such a hole.But if they get through those two, 2-0, they would be excellent position to challenge.

TheValleyRaider
March 13th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Yes, the one 'given' in the PL is you lose two and you're already done which can make the balance of the year tough starting out in such a hole.But if they get through those two, 2-0, they would be excellent position to challenge.

It's definitely a case where those could be wins against the very teams Fordham would be competing for the title with. Having 2 tiebreakers in hand that quickly would be huge

Syntax Error
March 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM
OOC is:
at URI
Columbia
ODU
Bryant
at Cornell

As for the PL schedule, those 3 home games in a row has got to be helpful, though having to visit Lafayette and Colgate to open the PL slate could make or break your season. Go 2-0, and you're in a great positionMy thoughts exactly though four of five OOC are counters, albeit not so glorious. Also agree that the PL race for the Rams will be known early.

danefan
March 15th, 2009, 09:12 AM
My thoughts exactly though four of five OOC are counters, albeit not so glorious. Also agree that the PL race for the Rams will be known early.

OT a bit, but do we have counters in FCS?

I see 3 scholarship schools on their OOC schedule, with URI being the only one offering the full allotment at this time. I think URI would be the only "counter" in terms of FBS bowl eligbility, if that is what you are referring to.

TheValleyRaider
March 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
OT a bit, but do we have counters in FCS?

I see 3 scholarship schools on their OOC schedule, with URI being the only one offering the full allotment at this time. I think URI would be the only "counter" in terms of FBS bowl eligbility, if that is what you are referring to.

I think he might mean Bryant not counting because of the transition from D-II, but I'm not certain about that

danefan
March 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I think he might mean Bryant not counting because of the transition from D-II, but I'm not certain about that
Gotcha - so counting as DI wins.

I always attribute the word "counter" to being the FBS version and I would have been surprised to see anyone besides URI as a "counter" for bowl purposes.

And that raises another question that I can never remember the answer to: When does a DII to DI transition team count as a DI win?

dgreco
March 15th, 2009, 12:43 PM

I believe Bryant is a "counter" now next year. Also according to the NEC they will be a conference mmeber next year (that is why the full schedule) and they are already a voting member for the conference.

edit: message that was received(not to me):

The Conference currently considers Bryant a member albeit a reclassifying one. The institution has voting rights at our administrative meets, but will not be eligible for a NEC championship until the 2012-13 academic year, when the Bulldogs complete the mandatory four-year reclassification process. They will be included in our regular season standings beginning next year, but will have no postseason privileges until the four-year period is completed. Thanks for your interest in the Northeast Conference.

Ralph S. Ventre
Assistant Director of Communications
Northeast Conference
Phone: (732) 469-0440 ext. 7
www.northeastconference.org