PDA

View Full Version : Sorry have to say it.....

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 12:32 PM
How does the Gate at UNH game get on tv over the Nicholls St vs Furman....

I can understand that the people may want to see the #1 rated team in the country.....but this is silly......

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Sure makes I-AA look good...doesn't it?

Furman-Nicholls isn't too good on TV. Looks empty on visitor side and home side was made 60-70% full...

SpiritCymbal
November 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I agree. Especially with such a dinky crowd and stadium.

Any chance they can start showing the FU/NSU game since this one is over by halftime?

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I just hope Bobcats-GA Southern game looks alright with attendance...

mainejeff
November 26th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I'd rather see the #1 team (especially since UNH hasn't been on TV at all this season) than see a game just to see a pretty field or bigger stands. :rolleyes:

skinny_uncle
November 26th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure a blowout like this is going to keep much of an audience on the tube. 34-0 at the half is just not that exciting unless you are a UNH fan.

Chi Panther
All I'm saying is this game is on National TV....UNH is #1.....Colgate is #24....

I love Colgate but his was a serious up-hill game.....I'm all about the best match-ups being on TV.....but that is just my opinion.

ChickenMan
How does the Gate at UNH game get on tv over the Nicholls St vs Furman....

I can understand that the people may want to see the #1 rated team in the country.....but this is silly......

Nicholls/Furman are playing like two mediocre teams... while UNH looks great.

DaGriz
November 26th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I would rather see the UNH game. I have the Furman game going on the computer and it looks like the people at the game are also falling asleep. boring.

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Nicholls/Furman are playing like two mediocre teams... while UNH looks great.

The game that is still in doubt, is the one I'd rather watch.....

SpiritCymbal
November 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Much rather watch a I-AA playoff game that is 7-6 at Halftime then one that is 34-0. And yes, bigger crowd and prettier stadium will equal more respect from non 1-aa fans.

I'm really not trying to bash UNH at all....but this game on ESPN2 is doing NOTHING to combat the "assumption" that 1-aa is small time football.

mainejeff
November 26th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Regarding the more respect thing.....YAWN.

youwouldno
November 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I don't think they really can switch games when the coverage is by different networks. And there was no way to know it would be THIS bad of a blowout-- Vegas had UNH -20 and they are already up 34.

That said, there's no way any 34-0 game is more entertaining than a 7-6 game.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I don't think they really can switch games when the coverage is by different networks. And there was no way to know it would be THIS bad of a blowout-- Vegas had UNH -20 and they are already up 34.

That said, there's no way any 34-0 game is more entertaining than a 7-6 game.

the starters will be gone by the 4th, so 20 sounds about right at the end

ChickenMan
November 26th, 2005, 12:53 PM
FU/Nicholls is close... but the reality is... it's been bad football. The Nicholls option has been god awful and FU has made too may mistakes. Looks to me that FU is a much better team and should pull away in the 2d half.

PantherMan
November 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I really do not see why this game is featured on ESPN2. New Hampshire is good, but their crowd and stadium would be laughable by a lot of high schools' standards. Not to mention the fact that they are playing Colgate... :boring:

SpiritCymbal
November 26th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I really do not see why this game is featured on ESPN2. New Hampshire is good, but their crowd and stadium would be laughable by a lot of high schools' standards. Not to mention the fact that they are playing Colgate... :boring:
100% agree.

mainejeff
November 26th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Funny how many I-AA fans are so into the crowd and stadium "look" on TV......sounds like I-A envy..... :rolleyes:

PantherMan
November 26th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Funny how many I-AA fans are so into the crowd and stadium "look" on TV......sounds like I-A envy..... :rolleyes:

Jeff, I played junior high games in better facilities than this. Heck, there probably weren't many less fans either... If IAA wants national respect, they need to show good matchups, in nice stadiums, period. Especially when ESPN gives us a chance to showcase IAA. :beerchug:

mainejeff
November 26th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Jeff, I played junior high games in better facilities than this. Heck, there probably weren't many less fans either... If IAA wants national respect, they need to show good matchups, in nice stadiums, period. Especially when ESPN gives us a chance to showcase IAA. :beerchug:

We say the same thing every year though.........

Just enjoy the playoffs :) .

JALMOND
November 26th, 2005, 01:47 PM
My opinion from the west coast...

I just got up and turned the I-AA game on ESPN2. Not only is it 41-0, it doesn't look like many people on the opposite side of the field, vehicles are driving around in the distance and also it is snowing. First impressions mean a lot and, by this, it shows that not many in Durham really care about I-AA (at least to me).

Good points? The field is holding up. UNH is showing they have an awesome team (by Colgate's performance should the Patriot have gotten two teams in this year?) and Santos is showing those of us who haven't seen him that he is really good.

Still, the casual football fan tuning in, whether DI, I-AA, DII or DIII, first impressions do mean a lot and I just think I-AA could have done better with a better football matchup.

mainejeff
November 26th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I doubt that there are very few "casual" fans tuning into I-AA......no matter who is playing. It will be interesting to see what attendance is from all the 1st round games.

UNH 1999
November 26th, 2005, 01:50 PM
UNH is the #1 seed and deserves to have their game on national TV. Regarding the complaints that our stadium/crowd are too small, THEY ARE! But our AD is making a push to get a new facility and make football on par with hockey. Having the game on ESPN2 will help in that it will legitimize the team/program in the eyes of others who would be hesitant to go to a 1-AA in the Northeast...

Chi Panther
November 26th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Guys,

Lets not bash about Stadiums/Crowd Size/etc......

The reason I started this post was that the best match-ups should be on tv.....

I agree that the #1 team should be on tv....but there is a good chance they will be on the next 3 games.....

All being said....congrats to UNH....great win!!!

UNH 1999
November 26th, 2005, 02:00 PM
I agree that the #1 team should be on tv....but there is a good chance they will be on the next 3 games.....

i sure hope they are, that would be a very nice early Christmas present.

JALMOND
November 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Guys,

Lets not bash about Stadiums/Crowd Size/etc......

The reason I started this post was that the best match-ups should be on tv.....

All being said....congrats to UNH....great win!!!

I did not mean to bash UNH's facilities. Still, no I-AA games on the ESPN network until the playoffs and I do think that the casual fans will watch. Some things to take away from this game is that Santos and UNH are good and did the Patriot deserve two teams, based on Colgate's performance? Also, for those who watched the NC game last year, it was refreshing to see a field hold up as well. UHN had a great performance and on national TV. Maybe I was making an unfair criticism of ESPN putting UNH's facilities on display as compared to, say, Montana's.

You're right, tho. A great win by UNH and a great showing by a I-AA on national television. They are the real deal.

NovaHater
November 26th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I just hope Bobcats-GA Southern game looks alright with attendance...

What a disgrace, I saw more people at the mall than at the Furman game

mainejeff
November 26th, 2005, 05:11 PM
That's it! The stands just aren't full enough for it to look good on TV. To hell with I-AA....... :rolleyes:

UNHknowledge
November 26th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I was at the game so I don't know how the game looked on TV (other than highlights) but ESPN should've filmed the game from the visitors side, would've made UNH look much more presentable. As for the crowd...the fans were finally outstanding. Very impressed by the turnout and the intensity of the fans today. Go Cats!

ashram
November 26th, 2005, 06:09 PM
#1 let's remember that Furman only has about 2500 students. That means we have a pretty small fan base to fill our stadium. #2, it's Thanksgiving weekend. I was at the game, and the student section was pretty much empty. I don't like to make excuses, but how many 2500-student schools out there put 10,000+ in their stadium consistently.

Our crowd exceeded my expectations, even if we were the only school in the state playing football today. Feel free to write to the Greenville News about the lack of support.

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I agree completely. As posted on some other threads all indications were that that was going to be a mismatch. There were a number of games that were essentially coin tosses going in. I wish they'd have picked one of those.

lugo02
November 26th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I agree completely. As posted on some other threads all indications were that that was going to be a mismatch. There were a number of games that were essentially coin tosses going in. I wish they'd have picked one of those.

The Lafayette-ASU game was supposed to be a bloodbath, or as some would call it the "Appalachian State Invitational." Lafayette was supposde to be "done by half-time", "Lafayette would not score", "ASU would win by at least 3 touchdowns."

LarryBoy
November 26th, 2005, 06:50 PM
While we're on the subject, I just read on SI.com that there were around 6,000 at the App-Lafayette game. Is that true? That's pretty shocking. The game for the Furman game today looked similar, if not larger than the first round crowd against Jacksonville St. last year, which was in the neighborhood of 7,000-8,000.

And to echo an earlier statement, the first round @ Furman has never been a huge draw. Thanksgiving, tiny student body (I was one of maybe 100 students who came back for the game), and so on. If we can fill up the home side, which we typically do in the 2nd round and later, I'm satisfied. Not making excuses...nevermind, I'm making excuses.