PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State Player Arrested, Suspended

CSN Log
March 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
03-09-2009 11:42 AM

Appalachian State Player Arrested, Suspended

Watuaga County Sheriff’s Office served criminal warrants on three Appalachian State University students Thursday, March 5.

Senior building sciences major, Robert B. Simpkins, junior criminial justice major, Travis W. Dowda, and junior management major, Jeffrey A. Logan were all charged with felony first degree burglary, felony assault inflicting serious bodily injury, injury to real property and injury to personal property, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/03/09/appalachian-state-player-arrested-suspen?blog=2#more4372)

Monarch History
March 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57300 xsmhx

I hate to see this happen to any school's program.

GOKATS
March 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
***** can happen at any school and given time it will. I also hate to see news like this from any school. Just a heads up for those who like to throw stones..............

Ronbo
March 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
People that live in glass houses........

A couple of ASU posters keep busting our buns about arrests at Montana.

CatFan22
March 9th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Must be California thugs. xrolleyesx

SeattleGriz
March 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM
***** can happen at any school and given time it will. I also hate to see news like this from any school. Just a heads up for those who like to throw stones..............

I second that statement.

ASUG8
March 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Too bad - just shows that idiocy is everywhere. That being said, we have been fortunate in our program that this is a pretty rare occurence.

JDC325
March 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I second that statement.

So GSU folk should not respond to all the stones App folks threw just awhile back. I guess someone needs to give App a number to a good glass repair man. I hate to see this stuff but I find it funny when folks think there players are any different from anyone else's. Outside of the military academies and Ivies I would have not batted an eye to see any other schools name associated with this story. To me it is not whose kids are messing up it is how the school responds that make them THUG U or not.

AshevilleApp2
March 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM
So GSU folk should not respond to all the stones App folks threw just awhile back. I guess someone needs to give App a number to a good glass repair man. I hate to see this stuff but I find it funny when folks think there players are any different from anyone else's. Outside of the military academies and Ivies I would have not batted an eye to see any other schools name associated with this story. To me it is not whose kids are messing up it is how the school responds that make them THUG U or not.

True, and I wouldn't be shocked if a kid from a military school or an Ivy League school got arrested either. I hate to see it happen, but I'm glad to see that the player who had eligibility left was suspended indefinitely.

DLS
March 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM
rumors have been flying and i've been trying to get some info.

generally assault is not a random thing but some people are saying it was unprovoked.

this whole thing stinks of one man rubbing up another man's girl.

in any case, i have a feeling these guys wont see the inside of a cell unless they are repeat offenders. even the prison system is experienceing cutbacks and there is no money to spend on this retardation.

mcveyrl
March 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM
rumors have been flying and i've been trying to get some info.

generally assault is not a random thing but some people are saying it was unprovoked.

this whole thing stinks of one man rubbing up another man's girl.

in any case, i have a feeling these guys wont see the inside of a cell unless they are repeat offenders. even the prison system is experienceing cutbacks and there is no money to spend on this retardation.

Any word on where the burglary charge is coming from? Also, in Tennessee for aggravated assault you have to be using a weapon, any word on that?

Could also be a case of a prosecutor (or sheriff) piling on charges (and these are all pretty serious, i.e. first degree) looking for a plea.

jonmac
March 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Any word on where the burglary charge is coming from? Also, in Tennessee for aggravated assault you have to be using a weapon, any word on that?

Could also be a case of a prosecutor (or sheriff) piling on charges (and these are all pretty serious, i.e. first degree) looking for a plea.

In NC, 1st degree burglary is the breaking and entering of an occupied dwelling, at night, with the intent to commit a felony. If these guys have no record, which I can only assume the football players don't, then there should be a plea offer made for much lessor charges, depending on the extent of injuries to the victim. Most likely will result in a suspended sentence and the end of a football career and matriculation at ASU

DLS
March 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM
well first degree burglary is breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony i think. so aggravated assualt would be said felony by my estimation.

aggravated assualt is just assault with serious injury. usually involving a weapon but not always. from what ive gathered the victim is in pretty bad shape.

i just cant figure out the motive. some guy claiming to be a friend of the victim on the app rivals site claims he didnt do anything to bring it on but i dont buy that.

these guys had to of known each other and experienced some type of previous altercation.

(i wish i had become a detective, this is fun.)

mcveyrl
March 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
well first degree burglary is breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony i think. so aggravated assualt would be said felony by my estimation.

aggravated assualt is just assault with serious injury. usually involving a weapon but not always. from what ive gathered the victim is in pretty bad shape.

i just cant figure out the motive. some guy claiming to be a friend of the victim on the app rivals site claims he didnt do anything to bring it on but i dont buy that.

these guys had to of known each other and experienced some type of previous altercation.

(i wish i had become a detective, this is fun.)

So I guess they broke in to (or probably just went into) the guy's house? What I've read (which isn't much) doesn't really say.

DLS
March 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
" Police said the three were at a party on Highway 421 when someone who lives at the home told them to leave. They left, but came back a short time later, officers said.

Dowda, Simpkins and Logan are accused of kicking in the door and damaging items in the house while trying to get to the person who kicked them out. Police said they then beat up the resident, who suffered a broken wrist and cuts to his chin.

Athletic department spokesman Mike Flynn said Dowda, a junior defensive back, has been suspended indefinitely from the team. He said Simpkins, a senior tight end, finished his final season last year."

Ah, the ole "you kicked me out of the party and embarrassed me in front of everyone so im going to come back and kick your ass" trick.

son of a b.

OSBF
March 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM

I completely agree with your statement. What seperates the men from the boyz is what the institutional response is when something happens. Is an appropiate/timely response made, or is it swept under the carpet and just made to go away.