PDA

View Full Version : Are Draft Websites Overhyping the wrong players?

smallcollegefbfan
March 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Someone in the media has recently informed me of parents, other family members, friends, and even coaches reading these draft websites who rank players for future drafts and how they are getting the wrong idea about players.

I thought I would point this out because there is currently a player whose family thinks he is a 3rd or 4th round pick and he is just a recommended name who has not even been given a round projection from scouts.

One thing that people don't understand is that the NFL has sent out scouts of their two scouting services to junior pro days and are just a couple weeks into a process that takes 3-3 1/2 months to identify all of the juniors who they will rate as prospects. Scouts are out measuring, timing, and giving intelligence tests to prospects as well as watching game tapes and talking to coaches and other school personnel.

Anyone else notice how websites quote unquote "update THEIR rankings" at one time in the summer AFTER the NFL scouting services have released their rankings. I really think you have to put more stock in those websites that have evaluated the players throughout the off-season rather than those who simply copy and paste the rankings of the NFL scouting services (rankings they aren't even supposed to have to begin with).

I guess my point is that I have had some laughs over people falling for these ratings but someone had to point this out and rescue people from getting false hope. These websites will dramatically change their ratings in June and July and thus they will look nothing like they do currently.

For example I would project that Andre Roberts will be rated higher in July than Terrell Hudgins and Patrick Stoudamire rather than the reverse, like it is now. I see Roberts as faster and a player who has shown he can dominate FBS programs. Hudgins is a 4.7 guy and thus won't be rated that highly by the NFL people in early rankings. Stoudamire lacks the physical play for safety and doesn't have the hips for CB at the next level. You have to wonder if many of these websites even watch players themselves?

FYI, I know he is in D2 but West Texas A&M OT J'Marcus Webb is a treat to watch and a player I really believe the scouts might like more than any OT I have seen in the FCS thus far. Webb is 6'8, 320, 86 inch reach, 36 inch arms, great feet, physical, and excellent pass blocker. He also plays left tackle and more importantly has the feet and quickness to play that position, which is a premium in the NFL with all of the right handed passers.

Hood
March 5th, 2009, 06:57 AM
What concerns me is something similar to the case of Omar Jacobs. He came out early thinking he'd be an early pick due to his monster numbers, only to be a 5th round pick and eventually is now playing in the Indoor Leagues. He could have stayed in college an extra year and improved to be a viable NFL quarterback possibly. He missed his degree so now ALL he has is football.

If they read the hype and believe their own hype that they're getting and leave school early for the money, only to fall on their face, its a sad state. And who profits? The agents.

This is where good coaching and mentoring comes in. Coaches need to be adamant to their players from day 1 not to believe hype and agents. They need to do a better job of stressing the importance of education. And that goes for high school coaches too.

But, money talks :(

JayJ79
March 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Believing media hype and/or agents is about as intelligent as believing politicians and/or congressional lobbyists, or believing everything you hear in advertising.

Which, in simple terms, is just plain dumb.