PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb 09 Football Schedule Options

EagleDawg
March 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
With Tennessee Tech dropping GWU for Kansas State on Sept. 26th, GWU now has two open dates that they need to fill. There is rumour that on Sept. 5th that GWU will either host or travel to Bethune Cookman. If true, it's imperative that GWU find a team willing to travel to GWU on the 26th. Other than Duquense I can't identify any other FCS school based east of the Mississippi River that has an open date on Sept 26th that has less than 11 games already scheduled. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or is it most likely that GWU will have to go the D2 route to find an opponent? If it's a D2 would GWU have to pay up to get them to come play at GWU? Sure hope that the scheduling issue can be resolved soon. Would like to plan out the fall. xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Go Runnin BullDogs!

danefan
March 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
With Tennessee Tech dropping GWU for Kansas State on Sept. 26th, GWU now has two open dates that they need to fill. There is rumour that on Sept. 5th that GWU will either host or travel to Bethune Cookman. If true, it's imperative that GWU find a team willing to travel to GWU on the 26th. Other than Duquense I can't identify any other FCS school based east of the Mississippi River that has an open date on Sept 26th that has less than 11 games already scheduled. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or is it most likely that GWU will have to go the D2 route to find an opponent? If it's a D2 would GWU have to pay up to get them to come play at GWU? Sure hope that the scheduling issue can be resolved soon. Would like to plan out the fall. xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Go Runnin BullDogs!

Albany has an open date on the 26th as well. If GW is willing to travel north I think that would be an interesting game. But I don't think you'll see Albany adding another away OOC game, especially to a team that only averages 5,000 (unlikely guarantee) and after flipping the UMass game.

But who knows really.

UNHWildCats
March 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Maybe Morgan State?

EagleDawg
March 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
I can't see GWU traveling for another away game on the 26th. GWU already has 6 away games and that assumes that Bethune Cookman agrees to play GWU at GWU. I can't see playing 7 games on the road but that's just me. Currently the away schedule for GWU includes Western Carolina, NC State, Buffalo, VMI, Coastal Carolina and Presbyterian. Home games against Liberty, Charleston Southern, Stony Brook and hopefully Bethune Cookman.

UNHWildCats
March 3rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
at this point if you're still looking for a home game its likely going to be a Div II or III opponent

DSUrocks07
March 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
at this point if you're still looking for a home game its likely going to be a Div II or III opponent

Yeah, "pathetic schedules" be damned xrolleyesx

g-webb1994
March 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Give you new G-W folk a little heads up.....our Sports Info. Department is notoriously slow at releasing schedules, for any sport.

Of course, with two holes left to fill, they have a somewhat legit excuse to drag their feet this year.

Remember, that 9/26 slot will be harder to fill than you would think, since most D-2 and D-3 schools are beginning conference play by that point.

At this point, if we can get Bethune Cookman at our place 9/5, then let's hit the road to Morgan State or Albany if it means we get a return game in 2010.

EagleDawg
March 3rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
G-Webb1994 - Do you know if there were any money penalties for Tennessee Tech canceling out on GWU late as they did? It would seem reasonable if a contract was signed for a home and home that the canceling team should have to pay up. At least that might help offset the loss of a home ticket gate or travel expenses for another away game. If GWU were to play Albany they would play 3 teams from the State of NY with 2 on the road. That can't be good for the travel expenses. I see them playing a D2 game but would prefer either Albany or Morgan State. Either way it's going to be a brutal stretch to start the season. Hope the Dawgs pull an upset or two early.

g-webb1994
March 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I'm sure there was a buyout clause of some sort with TT.

Remember, we have to go out to Sam Houston next season, so playing another road game this year for a home game next wouldn't be a total disaster.

TTUEagles
March 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I heard that TTU @ GWU was on the "books" for a later year. Thus, the return game from GW at TTU last year. I don't know if TTU backed out or not, or if it was mutual, never officially scheduled, or not. And...I admit, I've heard this third or fourth hand, for what it's worth.

GridFan
March 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM
The TTU-GWU game in B.Springs was on the schedule for 9/26/2009. Contract was signed. TTU called and backed out two weeks ago to pick up a check from K-State, or KU, on the same date. There was a buyout from TTU, but not sure for how much. Backing out of a contract isn't normal, but that seems to be the trend around FCS these days. My assumption is that cash was needed in Cookeville.

The September 5 date has been filled by a D2 school and will be a home game in Boiling Springs. Couldn't get an answer as to who exactly. The schedule is still one game shy of being completed according to SID office when I asked Saturday night at the hoops game and will be announced the day the final contract for that 9/26 game is in place.

According to the folks at G-W, it is policy to have signed contracts in hand before any schedules are released. Might explain why their football schedule is normally not announced until near the end of spring practice or summer.

danefan
March 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM
The TTU-GWU game in B.Springs was on the schedule for 9/26/2009. Contract was signed. TTU called and backed out two weeks ago to pick up a check from K-State, or KU, on the same date. There was a buyout from TTU, but not sure for how much. Backing out of a contract isn't normal, but that seems to be the trend around FCS these days. My assumption is that cash was needed in Cookeville.

The September 5 date has been filled by a D2 school and will be a home game in Boiling Springs. Couldn't get an answer as to who exactly. The schedule is still one game shy of being completed according to SID office when I asked Saturday night at the hoops game and will be announced the day the final contract for that 9/26 game is in place.

According to the folks at G-W, it is policy to have signed contracts in hand before any schedules are released. Might explain why their football schedule is normally not announced until near the end of spring practice or summer.

GW got Furmaned.
That sucks.

Tell your admins to give Albany a call. I'd love to see some more NEC/Big South matchups!xthumbsupx

nwFL Griz
March 4th, 2009, 01:13 PM
GW got Furmaned.
That sucks.

Tell your admins to give Albany a call. I'd love to see some more NEC/Big South matchups!xthumbsupx

I thought we agreed it was "Kansas Citied" or something like that...maybe Mizzoued, I'll have to dig that thread up....

danefan
March 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I thought we agreed it was "Kansas Citied" or something like that...maybe Mizzoued, I'll have to dig that thread up....

They're all involved here.......

Kansas City's is the overreaching term - the people of Kansas City are responsible for all of this.

GW got Furmaned - they got screwed.
TTU got Mizzoued - they took the money in the face of a definite loss and directly screwed GW.

GannonFan
March 4th, 2009, 02:33 PM
They're all involved here.......

Kansas City's is the overreaching term - the people of Kansas City are responsible for all of this.

TTU got Mizzoued - they took the money in the face of a definite loss and directly screwed GW.

Proper use of the terms!! xthumbsupx

g-webb1994
March 4th, 2009, 02:33 PM
The D2 team we are playing is Mars Hill. Sounds like the game with Bethune-Cookman has fallen through. Expect an NAIA opponent of some sort on 9/26, since D2 conference play has started by then.

I've learned through sources that Clemson had called G-W about a game on 9/26, and G-W already had TT on the schedule and couldn't commit. So, Clemson went and got TCU to play on 9/26. Less than a week later, TT calls G-W and backs out to go to K-State. Sure would have been some major $$$ for the Webb even if it meant playing ACC teams on back-to-back weeks.

danefan
March 4th, 2009, 02:36 PM
The D2 team we are playing is Mars Hill. Sounds like the game with Bethune-Cookman has fallen through. Expect an NAIA opponent of some sort on 9/26, since D2 conference play has started by then.

I've learned through sources that Clemson had called G-W about a game on 9/26, and G-W already had TT on the schedule and couldn't commit. So, Clemson went and got TCU to play on 9/26. Less than a week later, TT calls G-W and backs out to go to K-State. Sure would have been some major $$$ for the Webb even if it meant playing ACC teams on back-to-back weeks.

WOW!

I think the term should perhaps be changed from Furmaned to "TT'ed"

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! GW stands by its contract only to be screwed a week later! Man.

TTUEagles
March 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Well, if it means anything, and all of the above is true, I apologize on behalf of TTU. Although I am looking forward to going to Manhattan to play K-State, I would rather play an FCS out of conference. But, I do know for sure that TTU is woefully in need of money. And these Two FBS games (Georgia and K-State) fund a lot of the entire athletic depts. budget, not just football. Again, if the above is true, I apologize and do feel bad for GWU...You guys were well represented and a classy bunch (except for one player, I remember, but we all have them) last year.

UNHWildCats
March 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM

so Mars Hill got Mizzoued by Charleston Southern if I remember correctly and now G-W who was also Mizzoued is giving them a game xthumbsupx

danefan
March 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
so Mars Hill got Mizzoued by Charleston Southern if I remember correctly and now G-W who was also Mizzoued is giving them a game xthumbsupx

Other way around - Mars Hill got Furmaned by Chuck South who got Mizzoued into thinking the game with Florida was good for their program.

Thumper250
March 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Sept. 5 is against Mars Hill.

Keeper
March 4th, 2009, 04:28 PM
How about a game with Davidson??

Sir William
March 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM

And isn't it refreshing to see GW handle their situation with class - ie, without endless whining and poor-mouthing the good folks at TTU.

Hats off to the faithful fans at GW. Way to set an example for all in FCS nation who feel they've been "Furmaned". xthumbsupx

danefan
March 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
And isn't it refreshing to see GW handle their situation with class - ie, without endless whining and poor-mouthing the good folks at TTU.

Hats off to the faithful fans at GW. Way to set an example for all in FCS nation who feel they've been "Furmaned". xthumbsupx

HAHA....that's because (1) it hasn't been as public and (2) there aren't enough GW fans on here to make a big stink.

I'd be just as pissed as Delaware fans were if a team backed out of a contract with Albany right now. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want Albany to do the same if the situation presented itself. It just means I would expect that the fans of the team getting screwed would be pissed too. xpeacex

Sir William
March 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
...I would expect that the fans of the team getting screwed would be pissed too. xpeacex

Hey, I understand. Got no problem with someone being p***ed about the circumstances. However, one's true character shows itself in the way one decides to respond to such circumstances, especially over a period of time.

danefan
March 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Hey, I understand. Got no problem with someone being p***ed about the circumstances. However, one's true character shows itself in the way one decides to respond to such circumstances, especially over a period of time.

Agreed.

g-webb1994
March 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Having the FBS game against NC State on 9/19 causes the stink to be lessened. Had we not had that game in hand, and had a shot at Clemson and this happened, the hades would have been raised.

Hope we get a nice check from Buffalo too. We played a home and home with Morgan State not too long ago, I wonder if they are still an alternative for 9/26.

catdaddy2402
March 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM

I doubt that's truly the case. Clemson already has Coastal on the 2009 schedule, and the AD got absolutely hammered for the two FCS games last year, and both of them were in-state FCS games. He would have had to go into the witness protection program to do it again this year, especially an out of state FCS team.

TexasTerror
March 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Perhaps G-W can move their game up a year with SHSU. We had PV fall off the schedule and I am not sure where the negotiations are as far as that goes...

apaladin
March 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I doubt that's truly the case. Clemson already has Coastal on the 2009 schedule, and the AD got absolutely hammered for the two FCS games last year, and both of them were in-state FCS games. He would have had to go into the witness protection program to do it again this year, especially an out of state FCS team.

AGREED!!

g-webb1994
March 5th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't call the source at G-W that told me the story a liar, very reliable and honest person. Anyway, we get two schools in the NC system in back to back weeks, that will be interesting enough, just hope we can find a viable opponent for 9/26 instead of a second D-2 or lower.