PDA

View Full Version : IONA Legend Lost

GaelsFootball
March 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Iona College has lost the greatest fan, man, friend, and trainer that they will ever have. He was known around campus as JB and was loved by every Iona athlete ever to play here. JB Buono has been apart over Iona for over 50 years. Granted Iona may not sponser a football program anymore, but JB was a great advocate for the football team around here and to be honest a part of him died when they dropped us. He loved small college football and opponents and fans may have noticed him on our sidelines giving the opposing players the "devil horns".
Even at 97, JB would come and lighten the mood of camp and 2 a days and tell stories to us ranging from the war, women, football, life, and how were going to kick everyones behind tomorrow.
JB would come out and celebrate wins with the football team at the bar across the street known as The Beechmont which has Iona pictures all over the walls with JB photos and articles sprinkled in. He was the first one to congradulate us after and win and the first one to hug us after a loss and say we got 'em next week.
Without JB football would have never started at Iona. He would tell us stories about the beginings of the program. When the program was cut, we saw less and less of JB around campus. Now that "his boys" were gone he had less of a reason to come around. We were the closet team to him and the coming days after the announcement you can see it in his eyes and his voice that he was hurting just as much as a player who just lost his team. To be quite frank, he hated President Ligouri and the whole administration.
I encourage everyone to check out icgaels.com, as they have put together various articles about the man. I hope you take a minute or two out to check it out as you may learn about a great FCS football fan and legend which was just lost. God Bless

Go...gate
March 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
Very sorry to hear this. The JB Buonos are the emotional strength of a football program. May God rest his soul.

Seawolf97
March 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Sounds like a good man. Sorry for your loss.

ngineer
March 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear of this. It is great when schools have longtime 'fanatical' fans who live and die with the school's program. There is a lot of teaching going on at that level.

Cobblestone
March 4th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Sad story and sad times for those at Iona. Fans like this are certainly one in a million. In fact we recently lost a similar type of fan. Tom Nally was probably the consumate URI football fan and in a lot of ways similar to MR. Buono. I'm sure they'll both be watching from above this season and having some nice football discussions about the teams they love.

Thoughts and prayers.

Bull Fan
March 4th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Sorry to hear about this; 97 years on this planet he had a nice, long run. Shame to see both Iona football and a dedicated individual fade away :(

Hofstra has a fan or two like that- I know one of them and he's a real dedicated guy. A living legend of sorts when it comes to following a passion of his. Relish these people while they're here...

Husky Alum
March 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM
There was a GREAT article on JB in the NY Times over the weekend.

I met him once or twice when NU played Iona in hoops, and a guy I played with in HS kicked for the FB team at Iona and told me how great of a guy he was.

The man seemed like someone who cared so much that it hurt.

Fordham
March 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
RIP