PDA

View Full Version : How is the Atmosphere of a I-AA playoff game

REEM10
November 24th, 2005, 11:32 PM
This will be my first time at one. What should I expect? Is it just as crazy as maybe a 1-A Conference championship game or a bowl game? Will there be a whole lot to do for the family before the game starts? It seems like HU is really going all out for this game, from what I have heard on the radio and advertisements.

ngineer
November 24th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Sort of depends on each locale. Also, since the first round is over Thanksgiving weekend, the attendance usually is about 2/3 of a regular season game. That being said, some schools 'do it up' as they would for a homecoming with special tents/events, etc. Obviously, the bigger the crowd the better. The anticipation is very high because the stakes are now higher.

GreatAppSt
November 25th, 2005, 01:07 AM
The atmosphere at playoff games is usually quite cold dress warmly. :p But I'd say it's a fairly hot ticket no matter which game you attend, just get there. :)

November 25th, 2005, 01:35 AM
This will be my first time at one. What should I expect? Is it just as crazy as maybe a 1-A Conference championship game or a bowl game? Will there be a whole lot to do for the family before the game starts? It seems like HU is really going all out for this game, from what I have heard on the radio and advertisements.You know...

DO OR DIE

The only thing that matters is whether your team wins and advances. The family stuff is fine but if your team doesn't win are you going to feel okay? The event is the playoff game. This is the NCAA championships, not some I-A bowl or other less meaningful showcase.

Go ALL OUT because this is the only chance.

Scream for your team on defense and silently watch as they execute their offense (cheering every conclusion of the play), and be sure to scream when the opposition is on offense. Be the "twelfth man." Nothing else matters. Not the seat selection, amount of folks in the stadium, how the folks look, pregame hype, TV coverage, band performance or anything else. This is the highest NCAA football championship tourney baybeeeeee.

Wellington
November 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I always have a backup team besides my own that I root for, so the season can still be fun if my team gets knocked out, until the championship. :nod: If that team also gets knocked out, then I am :splat:

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Sort of depends on each locale. Also, since the first round is over Thanksgiving weekend, the attendance usually is about 2/3 of a regular season game. That being said, some schools 'do it up' as they would for a homecoming with special tents/events, etc. Obviously, the bigger the crowd the better. The anticipation is very high because the stakes are now higher.

UNH is expecting a sellout plus standing room only sales total attendence expect over 10,000 in snowy and cold Durham New Hampshire.

ASU Kep
November 25th, 2005, 05:05 AM
You know...

DO OR DIE

The only thing that matters is whether your team wins and advances. The family stuff is fine but if your team doesn't win are you going to feel okay? The event is the playoff game. This is the NCAA championships, not some I-A bowl or other less meaningful showcase.

Go ALL OUT because this is the only chance.

Scream for your team on defense and silently watch as they execute their offense (cheering every conclusion of the play), and be sure to scream when the opposition is on offense. Be the "twelfth man." Nothing else matters. Not the seat selection, amount of folks in the stadium, how the folks look, pregame hype, TV coverage, band performance or anything else. This is the highest NCAA football championship tourney baybeeeeee.

Wow...I got chills. :D . Can't wait to pull into Boone tomorrow. Might be a little sleep-deprived, but you'll hear me all right.

selurfesoy
November 25th, 2005, 05:42 AM
The atmosphere in Boone tomorrow will be awesome. High 40s and sunny. Been looking forward to this all week!!! Give em Hell Apps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MR. CHICKEN
November 25th, 2005, 08:33 AM
UH....DUH STREETS IN NEWARK..ARE QUIET......NO HOOPLA......NO FERVOR.....MR. CHICKEN IS MISSIN' DUH ANTICIPATION....O' UH SATURDAY HOMER....IN DUH I-AA PLAY-OFFS!....:bawling:....YA'LL FINAL 16 FANS.....ENJOY.......CAUSE DERE ARE LIKE UH HUNDRED OR SO...I-AA LOCATIONS.....WHIFF NUFFIN TA DO TAMORRAH!......AH'M JES' WATIN' FO' DUH TEE-OFFS UP DERE IN DURHAM (ESPN2)......&......DOWN DERE IN SAN MARCOS (ESPN2).......CAIN'T PULL IN ESPNU..WHIFF MAH RABBIT EARS.....SO HOPIN' DUH PIRATES-SPIDAHS DONNYBROOK......IS ON-LINE!........16 LUCKY TEAMS.....LIVIN' TA PLAY @ 'NOTHERAH PIGGY PARTY!..............:hurray:..............BRAWK!

spdram
November 25th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Mr. Chicken--unfortunately we can't get the ESPNU around Richmond either, but you can get the Richmond radio broadcast off of the web, visit Richmondspiders.com and follow the links (pregame broadcast starts 7:30 EST, kickoff at 8:00 EST). If you want to join UR fans talking about the game visit Spidernation.com. I'll be in Hampton dressed warmly and yelling loudly! :hyped:

MR. CHICKEN
November 25th, 2005, 09:01 AM
SPDRAM.........THKS.....AN' MUCHO LUCK!..........BRA-10WK! :hyped:

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2005, 09:48 AM
This will be my first time at one. What should I expect? Is it just as crazy as maybe a 1-A Conference championship game or a bowl game? Will there be a whole lot to do for the family before the game starts? It seems like HU is really going all out for this game, from what I have heard on the radio and advertisements.

The atmosphere at a playoff game is awesome. Crowds tend to be louder than usual. When W&M played Jackson State in the first round in '96, there were only 5,000 people there, but it was the loudest I'd ever heard Zable Stadium. Expect a good crowd from Richmond and an electric atmosphere.

Hampton's running a good TV ad for the game. Stressing early tailgating and music. Weather looks ok now, a little warmer than the forecast a couple of days ago.

ChiefGSU275
November 25th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Scream for your team on defense and silently watch as they execute their offense (cheering every conclusion of the play), and be sure to scream when the opposition is on offense.

Isnt that the same thing Ralph? I think you have been spending too much time at the computer..take a break, man!! xlolx

Hamptongal
November 25th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Isnt that the same thing Ralph? I think you have been spending too much time at the computer..take a break, man!! xlolx
He was just emphasizing it for those who are glass full people and those who are glass empty people, making sure he includes everybody. Ralph is a very inclusive kinda guy.

Last year the W&M v Hampton game was great great great. lots of cheering and oohs and aahs and groans and oh nos and scary moments when one of our receivers smashed his head into the stands. It was pretty intense.

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I don't think I have to tell you what Missoula wil be like this Saturday :beerchug:

leatherneck177
November 25th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I agree that it really depends on where the game is being played and who is playing in it. A couple years ago WIU played EIU at Macomb, and since the students were not in session the attendance was sub par. Also since EIU was terrible the game was over four minutes into it.

Now, on the other hand, when WIU hosted WKU in a second round game that year, it was the second time they had met, they were already conference rivals, and the crowd was huge because students were in session. Whether or not students are in session can make a huge impact on the game and atmosphere.