PDA

View Full Version : Will the record be broken?

placidlakegriz
November 24th, 2005, 05:42 AM
As of 4:30 p.m. Wednesday 14,100 tickets had been sold for the playoff game in Missoula. Last year's November playoff in Missoula between the Griz and Northwestern Sate drew 16,289 - a record for a I-AA first-round game.

Ronbo
November 24th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Looks like around 16,000 will be there. Not sure if that record will be broken.

elkmcc
November 24th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Looks like around 16,000 will be there. Not sure if that record will be broken.

You are probably right Ronbo. 16k is about what we can expect to draw on turkey day weekend and I think that is still a lot better than most programs can expect to draw. We might be surprised by a slightly larger number simply because there has been an upward trend in opening round attendance numbers over the years. I remember in '93 the opening round against Delaware. I don't think there were over 6,000 in the stands. In '94 the first 2 rounds might have drawn about the same. This year, there will be more fans than that sitting in the North End Zone alone.

Another thing, IMO last years opening round crowd ,while only 16k, might have been the loudest crowd of the year. The real, hard core fans don't miss this game.

For the CP fan coming to Wa/Griz for a playoff game, you are in for a treat. The intensity and decible level is a thing to behold. You can literally feel it in the air. For some reason the colder temps seem to enhance the noise level but you have got to be there to appreciate it.

swaghook
November 24th, 2005, 08:29 AM
A smaller crowd is better for Cal Poly.

kalm
November 24th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I'm surprised you guys won't sell out. What kind of student chooses family over football :bang: Hell, if I didn't have to work and listen to the Eagles on the radio, I'd make the trip over from Cheney to support the mighty griz. Do you think you guys will sell out the remaining two games? :) See in a couple weeks!

Live4Griz
November 24th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the support Kalm...wish you could be there on Saturday. I actually went to EWU for a year...It was great...wish I was still there! I really enjoy following EWU football and always cheer for them(except against the GRIZ) but my heart will always be with the Griz.

I think we will set a first round record this weekend...I just don't think we will break it by much...its a tough weekend for football. I think if we play GSU next week(we need to beat a good Cal-Poly team first & GSU has to beat a good TX ST. Squad) it will be a sellout for sure. Two of the powers in I-AA in WA-GRIZ...what more could you ask for. And by chance we make it to the semi's & played EWU, I think you would be hard pressed to find a ticket.

Here's wishing both the GRIZ & Eagles(The ones from Cheney & Statesboro) all the best & Kalm...hopefully we see you in the semi's!!

GO GRIZ!!

griz37
November 24th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I'm surprised you guys won't sell out. What kind of student chooses family over football :bang: Hell, if I didn't have to work and listen to the Eagles on the radio, I'd make the trip over from Cheney to support the mighty griz. Do you think you guys will sell out the remaining two games? :) See in a couple weeks!

I never missed a Griz playoff game while I was in school. I went home every Thanksgiving but always made it back in time. Priorities people!!! :coach:

elkmcc
November 24th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I never missed a Griz playoff game while I was in school. I went home every Thanksgiving but always made it back in time. Priorities people!!! :coach:

I've never missed a playoff game in Wa/Griz. I haven't missed a game thats been played in that stadium since 1993 and I've never had a good enough reason to miss one either. That might be harder to do if I didn't live in Missoula but I think most people in Missoula schedule events around Griz games or they don't get very good attendance for their own events. Good Griz fans tend to schedule even their deaths as so not to conflict with a Griz game.

I am not a big fan of cold weather in general but I love cold weather football games. Some people say football was meant to be played outside. I say it was meant to be played outside in very cold weather. If you haven't experienced it, there is nothing like the roar of the crowd in Wa/Griz on a subfreezing day. It is nothing short of electrifying.

Cap'n Cat
November 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I've never missed a playoff game in Wa/Griz. I haven't missed a game thats been played in that stadium since 1993 and I've never had a good enough reason to miss one either. That might be harder to do if I didn't live in Missoula but I think most people in Missoula schedule events around Griz games or they don't get very good attendance for their own events. Good Griz fans tend to schedule even their deaths as so not to conflict with a Griz game.

I am not a big fan of cold weather in general but I love cold weather football games. Some people say football was meant to be played outside. I say it was meant to be played outside in very cold weather. If you haven't experienced it, there is nothing like the roar of the crowd in Wa/Griz on a subfreezing day. It is nothing short of electrifying.

Dome games are electrifying, as well, elky - it all depends where you are:

Holt Arena? No.

FargoDome? Yes.

UNI-Dome Yes.

:bow:

elkmcc
November 24th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Dome games are electrifying, as well, elky - it all depends where you are:

Holt Arena? No.

FargoDome? Yes.

UNI-Dome Yes.

:bow:

I would like to take in a playoff game at the UNI Dome and Fargodome for that matter. I would bet the intensity/noise level in the UNI Dome is better at a playoff game than at a regular season game there too. And maybe that is all it is at Wa/Griz. But I would swear that the cold makes the crowd rowdier, louder and that the sound carries better in the cold too. It will be interesting to see what the CP fans have to say after being in Wa/Griz for a regular season game and then a playoff game, even tho the earlier crowd will have been 7k or 8k larger than the playoff crowd.

Mr. C
November 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Totally agree. Best football atmosphere for its size anywhere. Ranks just a notch below LSU's 90.000 crowd for me.

grizbeer
November 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM
But I would swear that the cold makes the crowd rowdier, louder and that the sound carries better in the cold too. It will be interesting to see what the CP fans have to say after being in Wa/Griz for a regular season game and then a playoff game, even tho the earlier crowd will have been 7k or 8k larger than the playoff crowd.
It's a combination of the amount of liquid refreshment needed to numb the cold, plus the stomping and yelling keeps you warmer. :)

elkmcc
November 24th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Totally agree. Best football atmosphere for its size anywhere. Ranks just a notch below LSU's 90.000 crowd for me.

Thanks Mr. C. That is a real compliment. I think.